Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't listen to Jodik about gifting!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 4:42

Surely holiday gifting amongst adults is perfectly acceptable, and I know how much it would mean to many of you to remember me this season, might I suggest some special manties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't listen to Jodik about gifting!

your gift from me will be the same as last year

o

Well, I know that there is not much there to choose from so warm wishes will be enough from you...

o

yes , my wishes will be warm as I laze on the beach scoffing lobster and cherry ripes at Christmas while you freeze your manties. sigh

o
RE:to Jodik about gifting!

Cruel, very cruel...

o

Talk about cruel, Tobr! Geez! Brand me the Grinch, why dontcha! ;-)

It's the thought that counts, anyway... so just imagine that I think really hard every holiday season. ;-)

o
RE: about gifting!

And what thought would that be?

o

I don't know, Tobr... what gifts do you wish for? That's what I'll be thinking about. ;-)

o

I was going to make a silk pair especially made for you, but since Obama was elected and he's going to tax me through the roof I won't have enough money, sorry, tobr. ;)

Maybe I can comb the dog and get enough dog hair to weave you a soft, furry pair of manties!

o

I enjoy giving and receiving homemade or homegrown items.

For winter time birthdays, I've been know to give a couple of containers of homemade hot and sour soup (1 for now and 1 for the freezer :)) or some spicy chili.

For family and friends who have a special occasion in the summer, I'll gift them bouquets of flowers from my garden or a handpainted clay pot.

o

I make perfumes & colognes for friends who like scent! I can't stop EDD from doing what he's going to do but some years he does what I want & makes a gift to one of my preferred charities.
The NYC Wild Bird Fund or The Ali Forney Center!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 12:19

Lavenderlver I love your idea of "gifting" :) I remember the plates of "goodies" that my mom and her friends/neighbors/relatives would exchange. LOL my fondest memories of holidays past are the food!

o

Maybe I can comb the dog and get enough dog hair to weave you a soft, furry pair of manties!

Gak! Ewww!

Can you imagine what happens when you wash those manties?

*sniff sniff* "What smells like wet dog?"

o

Gak! Ewww!
---------------------------------------

What HG said!

o

Ohiomom, 2 words.....homemade pierogies. My best Christmas gift ever! I can still almost taste them.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 14:09

Okay now I am gonna totally do a hi-jack ... when I was a wee girl the little old ladies from the lower west side would make perogies in the church basement every Friday, the whole "no fish thing ya know?" I used to sit in the corner very quietly and marvel at their quick fingers and of course wait for my "treat". They were $1 a dozen and I have never ever had such wonderful perogie since.

LOL ... another childhood memory centered around food :)

o

Oh my, the stuff one can find on the web. I wasn't sure what manties were, so I googled. lol

ok Tobr, visit the site below & tell us what you want. I'm sure enough people here can pitch in and get you a lacy pair. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Manties

o

I vote this thread should be renamed "Don't listen to Demifloyd about gifting!"

o

ROTF!

Really, we should draw names around here and exchange gifts!

I'd have to make my dog do double duty and sniff bombs, too!

o

As a veteran, and seeing that we just observed the day, you could make my manties either red, white or blue...

o

I agree with Demi.

And I need underpants.

o

Fancy or functional Elly?

Can I borrow the dog, demifloyd?

It would be fun (maybe a bit healing?) to do a little gift exchange for anyone interested. I'm not sure the idea is going to fly here, but I'm game. (and I certainly wouldn't object to one of Labrea's homemade fragrances).

o

Secret Santa?

o

That actually does sound like fun laveneriver. I start making Christmas cookies right after Thanksgiving.

o

How does that help the economy?

o

Do you have any idea how much stuff I have to buy to make those cookies Richard? No cookies for you!!

o

Tobr, I can send you natural manties courtesy of my Snorkie, however he respectfully objects to having his fur dyed red, white or blue.

Secret Santa?

Could be fun but I have never liked those white elephant gift exchanges (who needs junk?) or the exchanges where you see someone so excited about a gift and then someone else takes it from them with glee. It always seemed like selfishness disguised as "fun."

No cookies here, but I do make a mean cranberry orange walnut bread for friends for the holidays.

o

This was a very nice idea demifloyd and could have been fun, but I'm not really surprised at the lack of interest. Another time, another place maybe.

o

Actually, I read a good article a long time ago about a woman who had Afghans as her dog breed of choice. Because they shed such long beautiful coats, she collected the shed hair and that from grooming, took it to a place that washes, combs and makes yarns out of animal fur. She had a very smart looking coat and matching hat made from her dogs' coats. I'm assuming it was a rather pricey endeavor, but the results were lovely, truth be told.

I'm not sure if could be done using the hair from short coated breeds, but the Afghan fur was perfect. Cashmere is made from certain types of goat hair, and we all know that wool comes from sheep. I doubt there would be a huge difference when speaking of long haired canines. And Cashmere doesn't smell like a goat...

We're just not into exchanging material goods for holidays with adults... we save it all for the enjoyment of the little children within our family.

o

Yeaaaaah... you can give that a try if it tickles your fancy. I'll pass.

o

I think that fur would, Hamiltongardener. ;)

o

LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here