Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you ever been regifted? Or do you regift?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 5:04

I know that I have been regifted but I would never do such a thing except in a pinch. How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you ever been regifted? Or do you regift?

I think a regifted item should be taxed.

o

It is taxing enough to be regifted... Lol!

o

I think you re-gifted this thread ... don't we discuss this every year?

o

No I give Housing Works or the Salvation Army anything I don't like or want!

o

Yes and yes. I'm a cheapskate.:-)

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 10:22

We did have this thread last season, have no idea how to find old threads.

o

We have a party to regift among my friends in January. If they do not have something to regift they have to buy a gift to bring to the party. We prefer they are funny regifts but it is not required.

We started this event when we were laughing at an event about the funny office gifts we received.

I appreciate that a person thought of me regardless of cost or if it is not for me but......there are times you just cannot use the item. We were laughing at ourselves because the gifts may be beautiful but if we had wore, or used an them people would laugh at us.

Mine was a beautiful blood red sweater. My red hair and that sweater would have made me a good entry into clown school. I do not wear red.

o

"No I give Housing Works or the Salvation Army anything I don't like or want!"

Funny, what a coincidence. That's where I buy all the gifts for you!

Hay

o

Just remember to put a sticky note on the thing so you remember who gave it to you.

We had a mildly embarrassing situation a few years back when our own DD was re-gifted something from her aunt that we'd given the cousin 3 years earlier.

o

Yes of course. I used to have a relative who gave me heaps of gifts, fancy expensive stuff-I had years worth of shower gifts-the gift that keeps giving is the best gift. I try to give things that the person would want though. I will give used items to people I know who would do the same-we are more interested in a great gift than the fact that it hasn't been given before. New from the store has no meaning for me. I think of my gifts as vintage-often books.

o

I must admit to re-gifting on a very small scale.

Living at the Lake we have lots and lots of company all of whom feel obligated to bring a "bread and butter" gift of some sort. No matter how many times I say not to...they do.

The result is an inordinate number of candles, napkins, soaps, specialty condiments and the like. I have often "regifted" some of these articles when I go to someones home for dinner. It really is a matter of using not wasting, nothing to do with expense but I guess some may think me "cheap" for doing it.

Actually "hostess / bread and butter gifts" could be a whole other thread!!!

o

I would agree... this thread is a re-gift!

No, we don't re-gift...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:50

We've re-gifted just once that I recall. We were given 2 of the same title books so gave one away to a friend of similar reading interest. Thus guilty we are....the nice thing about that kind of re-gifting is that both of the two original gifters can see "their" book on our shelf ;)

o

Ditto, ditto, ditto, Patricia. Me too; all of it :-)

o

We did have this thread last season, have no idea how to find old threads.

Here ya go OM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regifting...the prequel

o

No, I have never ever regifted.

If someone thinks enough of me to give me a gift, I couldn't live with myself if I gave it to someone else as an "original" gift from me.

o

I wouldn't re-gift a truly awful gift; I'd donate it to the thrift shop. I would however, give a perfectly good gift to someone whom I know would like it, as a "little extra", not as a special gift for that person, selected for them from the get go. More like a "I received this _____ and it's just not me, but I thought you might like this" sort of thing. This only works if you really, really know the recipient. In fact, I have done this and so far, so good.

o

Regifting...the prequel

This thread is a retread.

o

Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 12:51

LOL thanks Epi I knew we had discussed this once upon a time and not that long ago ..

Still a "cheapskate in Cleveland" :)

o

LOL. My pleasure OM.

It wouldn't be a true holiday season on HT without a thread or two on re-gifting and many on the "war" on Christmas. Apparently we are right on schedule if not a bit early. :)

o

Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 13:55

Apparently we are right on schedule if not a bit early. :)

.....never too early to whine and beatch about the heathens with pitchforks chasing folks down the street for wishing them a Merry Christmas. Gotta be an atheist or two in my hood, will let you know when they heat the tar and gather the feathers (probably from Thanksgiving turkeys) and ride me out of town on a rail :)

o

No, I don't regift. If I don't like it, there's no reason I should palm the thing off on a friend.
Every year a few of my clients present me with:
1. acrylic scarves
2. scented candles
2. cute notepads
Into the Goodwill box with them, while remembering that "it's the thought that counts."

o

No, I don't regift. If I don't like it, there's no reason I should palm the thing off on a friend.
1. acrylic scarves
2. scented candles
2. cute notepads
Into the Goodwill box with them, while remembering that "it's the thought that counts."

o

I honestly believe that all scented candles go all around and around being re-gifted until they end up at the Goodwill, then some entrepreneur goes in and buys them all up and sells them to some gifte shoppe, and the cycle starts all over again.

Burn one of those because you like the smell of dihybroglycerinepukefakelavedermaybeitwasrosewhoknowsoxide? Blerk.

o

Egg: "No, I don't regift. If I don't like it, there's no reason I should palm the thing off on a friend.
1. acrylic scarves
2. scented candles
2. cute notepads

I do re-gift the good stuff that I simply don't wish to own. Christmas dish towels and the like do go in the thrift store bag.

o

My DH makes fire starters out of most of the candles we are gifted with. He combines the melted wax with sawdust from his woodworking and pours the concoction into fiber egg cartons. Cuts them into individual hunks.....and voila......fast fire lighters that smell good for a bit.

o

I do not subscribe to the idea that fresh from the store is the only gift that counts as a 'real gift'. You are being sold a bill of goods by the merchandizing people. If your mother-in-law gives you her great Aunt Thelma's genuine natural black pearl necklace do you quibble that it is pre-owned? To quibble about other gifts is hypocrisy.

o

I think I am regifted alot by relatives. I can't see them buying some of the stuff I am given...but maybe they do. Who knows? Maybe I will forget they gifted me an item, and I will gift it to them next year. (snort, snort)

o

My DH makes fire starters out of most of the candles we are gifted with. He combines the melted wax with sawdust from his woodworking and pours the concoction into fiber egg cartons. Cuts them into individual hunks.....and voila......fast fire lighters that smell good for a bit.

Cool idea.

o

"My DH makes fire starters out of most of the candles we are gifted with. He combines the melted wax with sawdust from his woodworking and pours the concoction into fiber egg cartons. Cuts them into individual hunks.....and voila......fast fire lighters that smell good for a bit."

Great recycling idea, except for the fireplace. I'm wondering if this would create possibly toxic fumes from the candles and/or sawdust (treated wood?)?

Just a cautionary thought.

o

I want to know what kind of candles people are giving you that you don't want and make firestarters from instead.

I love candles and prefer the Voluspa and Archipegalo--no way would I turn those into firestarters!

o

tobr24u, I have no idea if I have ever been regifted.
I myself have regifted twice.
One time, a book; I already had a copy.
Another time, a shirt; because I knew that my cousin would like the color. He thanked me effusively.

o

Candles..... I do not know why people think they conjure up beauty in your mind.

The idea of the candle light in the bathroom is soothing. When I remodeled my bathroom I had a small fireplace installed for visual warmth/candle lighting effect because I had read long ago that candles was not healthy.

Any candles I receive as gifts go in the garbage. I will not pass on that death trap.
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Paraffin candles are as dangerous to the lungs as second-hand smoke and even more so if you are in the habit of burning many at the same time. It is also a non-renewable resource. Ever smell one? They stink."

Here is a link that might be useful: Illuminating Thoughts Toxic Candles

o

Fireplaces can be deathtraps, too.

I don't care.

I like my candles.

o

I love candles. PartyLite is my very close friend ;D

o

Any candles I receive as gifts go in the garbage.

I hope you don't throw out beeswax candles - your link likes them too.

Thank you for the information on soy candles. I've seen them for sale but after reading your article, I think I'll stick to beeswax.

o

nancy, it is not only the wax, it can be the wick, the fragrance and other things they do to make the candle. I have a Asthmatic daughter that is very sensitive to environmental condition that can trigger an attack.

The other research of candles and dangers I just do not see the need to take the chance. Bad food is enough I need to eat I do not need a candle.

So yes they all go in the garbage.

o

You don't have to thank me for this resisted thread but it would be appreciated, as, remember it is the thought that counts...

o

I don't regift but sometimes shop from my house. I have collected over the decades and have a great inventory of antiques and highly collectible items. I bought these myself and am trying to downsize so would this be regifting? Each and every item is something I like and cherish.

o

lily every time you post about your house and collections I get dreamy thoughts in my head. I love the days past. You cannot buy today the character, history, and value of older homes and antiques.

I think anyone would love your home shopping present.

o

Sigh... A lot depends on marching the gifts up to the recipient. A couple of years running we received enough liquor to stock a bar. Wisconsin is a hard drinking state where the harder the liquor the better. So is Ohio where we have relatives whose entertaining and capacity is legendary, and don't forget California wine country with the restaurant critic cousin. Now while we do occasionally have a drink or two, we would not consume that much in ten years or more and the liquor cabinet soon was overflowing into the china cabinet and the hall closet. DH got tired of Fibber Mcgee's closet and decided to pass them on as office gifts without mentioning it to me and I can't remember him ever looking at a price on a bottle or thinking about what a particular person would like.

With a quart bottle going to a recovering alcoholic, another going to a teetotaler and really expensive collectible decanters going to an underage office intern and a long past retirement diabetic blue stocking (she got the Elvis decanter) there were a few raised eyebrows. We would have been better off throwing a few big parties. Yes, he saved a few bucks but...

I have no problem with regifting but you should make an effort to be sure it is appropriate.

o

Sigh... A lot depends on matching the gifts up to the recipient. A couple of years running we received enough liquor to stock a bar. Wisconsin is a hard drinking state where the harder the liquor the better. So is Ohio where we have relatives whose entertaining and capacity is legendary, and don't forget California wine country with the restaurant critic cousin. Now while we do occasionally have a drink or two, we would not consume that much in ten years or more and the liquor cabinet soon was overflowing into the china cabinet and the hall closet. DH got tired of Fibber Mcgee's closet and decided to pass them on as office Xmas gifts without mentioning it to me. I can't remember him ever looking at a price on a bottle or thinking about what a particular person would like.

With a quart bottle going to a recovering alcoholic, another going to a teetotaler and really expensive collectible decanters going to an underage office intern (very pretty) and a long past retirement diabetic blue stocking (she got the Elvis decanter) there were a few raised eyebrows. We would have been better off throwing a few big parties. Yes, he saved a few bucks but...

I have no problem with regifting but you should make an effort to be sure it is appropriate.

o

I'd pass on an unwanted gift to someone I think would enjoy it, but not as a *Gift*. Otherwise, it goes to Goodwill. (Where did you think they get that brand new stuff on their shelves? LOL)

o

I am like Lily, I shop from my house a lot of times. I have dishes or antiques I no longer want or need, maybe bought and thought I would like. I can make a whole gift basket of goodies from my house~~~I also sometimes shop off my Christmas tree~~I am wrapping a gift and think it needs a little exta zip~~so I take an ornament from my tree. Why would any of that be wrong~~~it is not something I do not like, it is just time to pass it on to someone I know would like it.

I also would and have regifted things people have given me, I may already have it or if it is a toy my kids may have had one and not needed another. Or I just do not need it~~~if I can pass it on I do, if not I give it to a charity thrift shop. I would never give someone a gift that I felt they would not like or could not use.

Reuse~~Recyle~~Regift why not???

o

Thanks Marquest. Let's just say over the 30 years I've lived here, four people have opened my unlocked back kitchen door and walked right in scaring the bejesus out of me. Three women and one man. They ,for some reason, thought my house was a shop. Three were most apologetic, one women was pissed off and turned around and left.

Yoga...Me too with the tree ornaments. I have been known to adorn a package with a small ornament I happened to have.

o

so I take an ornament from my tree.

That will never happen. No one will ever get one of my crystal ornaments. I have been collecting them for 30 years.

They ,for some reason, thought my house was a shop.

That is character. They probably was thinking what great buys they were going to find.

o

If a person regifts in a thoughtful way, I see no problem. Brand new store bought gifts aren't inherently "better" ... they are can still be inappropriate for the giftee &/or just go in the recycle bin.

We were the recipients of regifts that we had given to dh's sister & bil a couple of yrs previously. The next yr. I suggested that we adults not exchange Christmas gifts, that it was for the kiddies. Suggestion accepted. We've not exchanged gifts for decades now. Makes life a whole lot easier.

A group I belong to has for our holiday party a $1 gift exchange, and you bring (2) $1 gifts for prizes for "crazy bingo game". The game is fun, but ... it's really pretty much all "junk" (I brought 3 -$1 bags of candy). So you add a dollar or so for 3 gift bags (well, I recycle those if I can). There were 23 people there... times 4 bucks = $92. I think we should pass the hat & donate that money to a food pantry, charity or something worthwhile. ... Perhaps I'm too practical minded?...

o

Lighten up and have a little fun...

o

Yoga...Me too with the tree ornaments. I have been known to adorn a package with a small ornament I happened to have.

I have done that for years--and those "picks" and rosemary sprigs and pine cones, and cut outs of really special Christmas cards that I glue on the top of packages.

I had a six foot farm table converted to a custom gift wrapping island last year--I think the presentation is half the gift!

The Wall Street Journal had an article this week about regifting and how more acceptable it has become.

o

Demi...I think I'd like to get a gift from you. I'll bet they're special all decorated up like that. I used to be more creative than I am now that gift bags came along. Now I'm more likely to wrap the gift in brightly colored Xmas tissue paper and put it , or them, in the bag. The secret to good wrapping IS a wide expanse to work on like your farm table. My six foot farm table unfortunately is my dining room table ,and it's decorated for the holidays.

o

I agree presentation is key. I like to wrap the tops and bottoms of the box so the box can be reused. Regift the package is good also.

o

The running joke in our family is my recycling of ribbon, Xmas paper, and gift bags. In my attic is a bag with enough bows for our whole town.

o

Lily my family laughs at me too. But they always come looking for the wrapping and bows in my stash.

I ended up being the go to lady of gift for events when I gave an office employee a coordinated present.

It was a bubble gum fish tank for her desk. I used bubble gum wrapping paper, small bubble gum key chain ornament on the bow. The office card for all to sign had a bubble gum pic. She was a big bubble gum machine collector and always talked about bubble gum. She had bubble gum ornaments all over her office. Needless to say that went over great.

The ribbon, bubble gum key chain, and the paper was in my stock that I did not have to go looking for to buy. It was saved from my daughter's birthday parties.

o

I've always loved to personalize the gift with special wrapping. I had never thought too much about it when I was rather a bit younger, then my Camp Fire Girls group wrapped gifts at a local department store at Christmas to earn money for a trip. As I wrapped it became apparent that my waiting line was getting longer than the others. When we had a chance to take a break, the system was reorganized by our leaders. Standard wrapping was done by most of the girls and a separate area was set aside for special orders and was priced by the finished design materials at a much higher rate. Two girls helped me and we turned out some exquisite packages. The most memorable was a cluster of a dozen, frosted blue, long stem ribbon roses made by hand(this was a take off on a Victorian craft I had read about) in a silver sleigh.

The man who ordered it was not unhappy to pay the $25.00 it cost especially since the roses could be removed and placed in a vase. That was a lot of money 57 years ago. Yes, he knew in advance what it was going to cost and I had started out suggesting three smaller roses and it grew from there. I took a while to teach the other girls how to make roses on that project and we were able to sell quite a few that week although no one else wanted a full dozen. We also turned Pompom bows into poinsettias which was popular. We spent a couple of evenings making unique decorations which sped things up. It surprised me that so many of the girls couldn't see the difference between a good decoration and a poor one.

Wrapping can backfire. Once I wrapped a Hagar vase as a bride for a friend after I saw her admire it. After the shower I asked why she hadn't unwrapped my gift. She said she thought it was a centerpiece. She liked the vase but was upset the tissue paper wrapping didn't survive so I had to make another she could keep.

o

At the party I went to last night, only two gifts were wrapped traditionally. All others including mine were in gift bags. I DID shop from my house and gave a unique gift...actually three, and everyone exclaimed over them. It suited the person who drew the number. However my gift did not suit me at all.Two expensive heavy crystal Xmas balls. But I can't regift next year because the mysterious person might be at the party.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here