Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thanksgiving dinner 44cents cheaper this year!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 5:22

It seems that food prices are stable or slightly lower so you can add an extra pie or so. BTW, do you prepare your own feast or buy one already prepared by your local supermarket? And I prefer mince pie should you invite me...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thanksgiving dinner 44cents cheaper this year!

We're having chili and cornbread.

o

Consider yourself invited Richard. I love mince pie but rarely make it, because then I am forced to eat the entire pie since I'm the only one who likes it. I cook Thanksgiving dinner and my house is overflowing with both grownups and kids. I love every minute of it.

o

I haven't a clue what we'll be eating or where we'll be for that particular day... too early to say for certain.

But, gosh... I'll try to remember to put that whole forty four cents in my piggy bank to save for a rainy day. Bootstraps, and all that, ya know.

o

I have never purchased pre made food for Thanksgiving, but would have no objection to doing so if I needed to.

Since DH died there is no particular tradition anymore; one daughter will be home and we will go to my brother's house, I'll probably bring some pies and salads, maybe homemade cranberry sauce, others bring the meat and dressing. Pecan prices have become outrageous; I bought them Monday. Usually family and friends give me pecans from their trees but I've already used what I had on hand.

I haven't noticed a stabilization in grocery prices; the last year or so they were going through the roof.

No discrimination against mantie wearers at my home as long as they mind their manners and contribute sparkling conversation to the dinner table!

This post was edited by demifloyd on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 8:24

o

We cook Thanksgiving and always have a house full of people. It's exhausting but I love it. In fact, I will be starting to cook and bake tomorrow. Thank goodness for freezers. I'm actually getting a late start this year. I usually have a few things in the freezer by this point, but son's baseball seems to go later and later every year. I take the entire week of Thanksgiving off and am cooking and baking from morning to night every day, with a little cleaning in between.

This year will be a little sad -- first Thanksgiving without my dad, who died in May.

On the other hand, first Thanksgiving with my daughter as a married woman! And her in-laws are coming too this year. I'm very excited about that!

o

Good luck with that jillinnj, it is difficult to see our family change with all these new people. It is sort of exciting but when inlaws and such are involved, I don't know. Luckily neither of my daughters are now married, we just have visiting boyfriends at this point, that's fine by me. Extended family is now so large with spouses and babies it's difficult to arrange to get together all at the same time because they have so many other obligations.

Actually it's a good thing they need to start taking over some of the setting the table, cooking, cleaning and hosting duties!

I'm sorry you lost your dad.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 8:52

The children have all pitched in to buy the food and I will cook ... door is always open and an extra plate always available to those who need a meal.

Actually the food prices have dropped at my local grocer .. except pork, usually this time of year pork prices are low and lots of sales, not this year. Not sure why.

I will bake sweet potato pies and ????

o

So sorry about your dad jill. I'm going to start cooking today as well. I usually have everything but last minute items done by Thanksgiving morning. demi, too bad you aren't here. I have two pecan trees and I'm sharing with the neighbors. I'm beyond counting heads. My niece is pregnant for her seventh, so just her crew makes a houseful. Her dh is a four star chef, but she cooks her traditional dishes for Thanksgiving. Guess it gives him a day off. Hopefully the weather will be pretty and they can get outside and play. My mother doesn't come anymore. She is 94 and doesn't like to leave her house. So we just fix her a big plate that she can make two or three meals from.

o

Thanks, demi and MrsK. He was 94 and very sick (cancer). It was time. But still hard.

I love the expanding family! Daughter's husband (still strange saying that!) has been coming for several years. Love it. Niece's boyfriend has also been coming for a few years. Love it! I hope we continue to expand. I've always worried once the kids get married or have significant others they will start going other places. So far, that hasn't happened. They all come here and I couldn't be happier about that. My nephew moved to San Francisco a few years ago but so far he still comes home for Thanksgiving. He loves our Thanksgiving.

Happy cooking/baking, MrsK!

o

The prices of many of my staples have been stable or dropping due to brutal competition which causes more frequent and bigger sales, discount promotions, loss leaders etc.

Other products are marked-up to compensate for the discounts and promotions, however I don't generally buy these products.

o

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Jill...

I will say that meshing families as our children marry or bring significant others into their lives can be so warm and comforting.

We usually spend Christmas with my son and his wife's family, a wonderful group of people just as crazy as we are! It's always fun and we have a spectacular time hanging out with them! It feels very warm and comfortable... just a bigger family! :-)

o

Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 9:52

Jill your father will be present in the memories all of you will share during the holiday season ... that is how it is for us.

Jodi I am with you, the more the merrier. Several of my children's friends have no "home for the holiday" visits ahead since they have lost both parents and I always extend an open invitation to stop by for a meal, whether it is a holiday or not.

o

Thank you, jodi and OM. Yes, we will all be thinking of him!

My Thanksgiving "family" includes one of my dearest friends and her daughters. It used to also include her husband, but he unexpectantly died about 5 years ago (49 years old!). Their family was shrinking due to deaths and moves further away. So, I invited them one year, many years ago, and they have come every year since. It wouldn't be the same without them! They are part of the family. The daughters are young ladies and I just hope when they have significant others they too will continue to come here, just as my daughter and neice have done.

I just have to say that we started using PeaPod (our grocery store's delivery service) this year. I just added everything I need for cooking and baking this weekend to the list, which will be delivered tomorrow between 10 and noon. BEST.THING.EVER! There is nothing I hate more than the grocery store and now I don't even have to go! Well, will have to go week of for the turkey and produce, but that's a quick trip to Whole Foods and not so bad. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am I do not have to go to the grocery store tonight after work. Progress is good!

o

Sorry for your loss Jill. It's true, no matter the age, losing a loved parent is so sad.

Our Thanksgiving is well behind us ...and for that I am Thankful!

Not that I don't love the holiday, I do. I also love having the entire family and extended family for dinner. Now we have significant others and in laws and sorta in laws , sometimes a stray or two... and I love it all...never too many.

I'm thankful because we have a good long stretch between Christmas and Thanksgiving making each holiday special AND we can have turkey twice without feeling like it was just yesterday! Also we don't have such thing as Thanksgiving Day Black whatever sales.

Mind you our farmers are not so happy with the timing and it is a holiday that started with them!

So while you are all doing T-day baking I'm doing Christmas baking !

o

Thanks, chase.

This year the 1st night of Chanukah is Thanksgiving eve. Some think it's cool since it almost never happens. It isn't going to happen again for 77,000 years (give or take). I do not think it's cool. I hate it. I already told my son that there will not be present opening on Thanksgiving! Too busy!!

I usually take the entire Thanksgiving weekend to relax and do nothing and let my back recover. Thankfully, I don't host the family Chanukah celebration (brother and sister-in-law do that). But, I'm not happy that it will be Thanksgiving weekend and will cut into my do nothing time!

Of course, once that is over with, I will be free and can relax while others are starting to get crazy with xmas preparations :-)

o

That's what our extended family does, Ohiomom... if you don't have a place to go, you're welcome to celebrate and have dinner with us. The more, the merrier!

o

Stuffing, sweet potatoes, , cranberry sauce (the awful jellied kind) Coconut Rice pudding for dessert.
We might also ad some vegetarian duck!

o

Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 21:59

So lets make this topic a little "hotter" :)

I notice Joe is having "stuffing" ... so do you "stuff it" or have "dressing" on the side?

As most of you know I am a northern girl with southern roots, so I grew up on cornbread and I make cornbread dressing with sage sausage. Cannot stand bread stuffing :)

Cranberries ... fresh or canned?

o

Bread stuffing in the bird.........anything else is just plain wrong.

Home made cranberry sauce with a touch of horseradish for most...the canned stuff for my heathen husband.

o

Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 22:41

"anything else is just plain wrong" I feel the same way bout' sticking bread in a turkey :)

Fresh cranberries .. YES! My mom always had canned .. yuck.

Another big yuck for me is sweet potatoes with marshmallows ... gag.

o

The absolute worst for me is the dreaded green bean casserole.....beyond gag

o

I'm having *my* traditional turkey -- a boned breast spread with a fig and olive tapenade, and then rolled, tied, and roasted -- which eliminates the dreaded "g" word, gravy. < shudder >

Winter squash soup, mixed salad with fuyu persimmons, pears, radicchio, and arugula (maybe kiwi too, if I'm in the mood), roasted mixed sweet potatoes (Japanese, Jersey, Garnet) with garlic and rosemary. Fresh fruit for dessert.

That's as traditional as I'm willing to go.

I know, there's one in every crowd. And I'm "it" for this thread.

o

Cranberries, yes. Wisconsin leads the country in production of those; we're not quite tired of them yet, but we do play with them a bit. Cranberry-raspberry sauce is hands down the best.

Do make sure the fresh cranberries are thoroughly washed. The chemicals used in the marsh are not good, and organic cranberries are pricey and not available in most grocery stores.

"In Wisconsin ��" far and way the top state in cranberry production ��" a “Cranberry Law” that goes back to 1867 exempts growers from being required to obtain permits before physically altering lakes and streams by setting up irrigation systems, ditches and dams. On a national level, cranberry producers are exempt from the Clean Water Act, in spite of the vast amount of water involved in cranberry production and the flow of chemical fertilizers and pesticides into local waterways.

As far as pesticides go, in 2006, the USDA Pesticide Data Program found 13 pesticide residues on tested cranberries, including three known or probable carcinogens, six suspected hormone disruptors, five neurotoxins, one developmental or reproductive toxin and six honeybee toxins. Suddenly, those images of the bright berries floating in the watery bogs is decidedly less pure."

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberries and Chemicals

o

Jill, I am so sorry for your loss but as other have said he will be with you.

TDay is my favorite holiday. This year it will be a relatively small turkey because many want it for leftovers and sandwiches the next day and confit turkey legs because we love them along with a rib roast and a whole roasted fish for those who don't like meat and LOTS of sides. We do dressing outside of the bird. Like OM. I also feel that bread in turkey is just wrong and affects the cooking of the bird :) but what ever makes your boat float. We always have lot's of friends and family and there is always room for more. Will we have some friend who are visiting from overseas this year as well so it will be a wonderful full house.

Sometimes we spend it in the city and other times in the country. This year since I started a new job we wil be staying in town. I do the majority of the cooking but my mom, sil's, bil's and others also bring things.

Since Chanukah is added to the mix this year we have decided to keep Tday relatively traditional except for the candlelighting and we will give the young children the opportunity to open their first night gifts and we will have some fried foods incorporated but it will not be the highlight of the day.

My sons gf wants to host Chanukah this year so we will go to their home on Saturday (3rd night) to celebrate with everyone but Friday many will be at our house to celebrate the 2nd night as well and then the last night will be at our house to close out the holiday and start to get ready for Christmas which is what you do when you have a "mixed" marriage and the tree and decorations will go up. Good times.

o

I' m so very sorry Jill.

We always host the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals here. This year we will have some family flying in and always have our good friends at the table as they also dont have family living within reasonable driving distance. Before my best friend relocated due to employment they always had Thanksgiving dinner at their home and we hosted Christmas dinner on Christmas day in ours. I really enjoyed that arrangement but I honestly dont mind hosting both celebratory meals. I' m retired so its not the tiring ( though still enjoyable) effort it was for many decades.

Im looking forward to the holidays this year. I love the season and doing up my Christmas table with it's finery and arranging, the house with all our Christmas decorations we have lovingly collected throughout our married years.
I especially love the extra dose of good will, charitable hearts and cheer that is so much more often shared during the period of November through December.
Its true that a lot of the charity and good will may be commercially fostered but imo, thats certainly better that than the alternative of those months being just that much more of the cold winter days which pass through our lives. Celebrations and traditions well kept puts a kind of sparkle on the ordinary grind of life. Keeping traditions and celebrating holidays also serves an important mental health purpose imo.

Our food pantry has its best times in these months as so many are more willing to smile while parting with a few of their coins. So, it's certainly better than the alternative.

Cold, quiet and often a dreary January will arrive soon enough and right on time.

o

Nancy, that sounds positively healthy and delicious! What time is dinner? ;-)

o

Since there will be no bird it will be an arnolds base, celery onions , morningstar farm vegetarian sausage, and some wild rice & mushrooms.
I used to make cranberry sauce till one year we both reminisced about the awful caned stuff. We were watchina cooking show & the chef confessed a secret he had to have the canned stuff every year.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 9:36

I recall that my Dad took care of the turkey each year while Mom took care of the rest. He would buy a bushel of oysters, shuck a couple of dozen and mix them with the stuffing. Then stuff the turkey and place 2 strips of bacon over the bird so it would self baste while in the oven. Now some 50 years later I'm the turkey prepper but here we do the stuffing on the stove top. I still carry on the practice of bacon strips on the bird.

o

Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 9:50

Nancy you (almost) make me feel guilty :) I confess to throwing calories and fats under the bus for my two favorite holidays.

Joe I love wild rice and mushrooms.

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 9:16

I used to make cranberry sauce till one year we both reminisced about the awful caned stuff. We were watchina cooking show & the chef confessed a secret he had to have the canned stuff every year.

Ha! My experience. My brothers and I, and later my husband, used to give glances to one another when my mom would open that can and "plop" out the canned cranberry sauce with the lines from the can on it. The girls can mock with that sucking sound when it left the can. My dad loved it. So when I married I was determined to do it the "right way" and bought fresh cranberries, oranges, etc. and every year that I cook I make homemade cranberry sauce, which my family preferred.

But now that I'm back to having Thanksgiving with my old family and others, no one has acquired the taste for the home slow cooked cranberry sauce and I see that they only try it to be polite and go for the canned jellied stuff so why bother.

Dad and I always had to have green olives to go with our turkey; DH's family ate their turkey with French's mustard.
Go figure, it's weird traditions that remind us of people gone that I suppose our families all perpetuate in some manner.

Can't beat Ocean Spray I guess.

Morningstar vegetarian sausage? I haven't seen it.
I used to eat their Bocaburgers about once a year and throw out the rest of the patties. Attended a party last night where sliders were being cooked to order and they looked and smelled so good but I couldn't bring myself to get one.

Does anybody aside from the south make and use cornbread in dressing?

o

I may get stoned for this, but I use Paula Deen's recipe for cornbread dressing. We totally blow it for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it is the best I have ever made.

o

I guess the family has opted for a rib roast this year, about 100 bucks for that beauty. 10 bucks per head but ooh so good! I think we still have 1 ham left for Xmas? desert is gonna be the wifes famous punkin cheesecake, oh ma is that good!!

o

Im from the deep south so of course it's homemade cornbread dressing - but not cooked in the bird. Because of the region and the guests at the table I also make traditional herbed bread dressing - guests seem to enjoy equal parts of both. I make sure there is enough cornbread dressing to put aside for Mr Mylab to have with his leftover meal the next day as he acquired a preference for cornbread stuffing through the years. He likes but doesnt love turkey so I hold onto just one leftover meal for him with the dark meat he prefers, but I will eat on the white meat for as long as there is some around. With family in, I may end up roasting two turkeys to be sure that lunch sandwiches for a few days are covered.

We have roasted domestic goose along with ham for Christmas, so I really do enjoy that "only once a year" turkey every Thanksgiving.

o

Homemade cranberry sauce. That can stuff is yucky! It is what I grew up on, but then my mom is not a cook. That stuff never enters my house! Well, the first year we hosted Thanksgiving, I did buy a couple of cans as backup incase the home made stuff wasn't good. Let's just say the cans never got opened.

Stuffing is outside the bird because we have several vegetarians and vegans. We used to do both inside and outside but just too much trouble and we do it all outside now. Wild rice and mushrooms go in the stuffing. So good!

We make a cajun sweet potato dish. Got the recipe from a cookbook we bought in New Orleans years ago. Once we made it, we had to make it every year. Everyone loves it. The most unhealthy dish of the year, but we only make it once a year. It has a LOT of butter. And pecans. And brown sugar. I don't even like sweet potatoes and don't usually like a sweet dish like this with my meal, but it is just so darn good. No marshmallows enter this house either (grew up on that. Yuck).

I hardly eat any of the actual meal on Thanskgiving. I fill up on appetizers and do have dessert. But, the weekend of leftover is my absolute favorite!! I love a cold turkey sandwich with good hearty bread and russian dressing. Yum!

1 cake, 1 pie in the freezer. Dough and filling for borecas is sitting for the required 1/2 hour right now. Hoping to have that done and in freezer before the Giants game later today!

o

Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 12:33

Does anybody aside from the south make and use cornbread in dressing?

.....guess you missed my post on "stuffing vs dressing', yes I make cornbread dressing with sage sausage.

Jill my turkey sandwich is served with dressing and gravy. (open faced)

o

To me stuffing is cooked inside the bird and dressing is cooked outside the bird.

My American sister in law is from Indiana and she always makes cornbread dressing. I'm OK with it but am a traditionalist at heart and bread stuffing is what we have always done.

o

Slightly off topic, but I love over the top descriptions of food.

From the Sydney Morning Herald..."FREE-RANGE organic brown wild duck breast and leg (but not the thigh because that's too fatty), stuffed with hand-polished Israeli pearl couscous, surrounded by a sprinkling of sun-dried heirloom apples picked by naked virgins under a full moon, and crescendoed by kalamata olives pickled by my Greek grandmother in Brunswick 1999.''

''Slow-cooked tails surgically removed from happy oxen who spend their lives listening to Mozart, nestled on a Doona of home-made wholemeal chestnut gnocchi, napped by a jus studded with chunks of oven-roasted then smoked embryonic beetroot and ribbons of black cavelo nero that has travelled only 80 food miles to get here, on the back of the forementioned now-tailless ox.''

o

I haven't seen the free turkey promos from any markets like they usually do...

Last year we were displaced. Normally, I cook but this year we are going to sister in laws. Thinking we may head in for parade! But first, March of the Wooden Soldiers in our jammies.

Going to make Cranberry Jezabel and homemade Irish cream and give out in mason jars.

Stuffing in da bird! Simple bread stuffing using toast, celery, and onions. Love to slice the canned cranberry sauce for sandwiches and turkey burgers lol

Much to be thankful for this year.

Sorry about you Dad, Jill. I so understand about sports bring played out of season. So crazy!

We also always have red cabbage and date bread with dinner.

What are borecas?

o

Nancy you (almost) make me feel guilty

My menu is not from being virtuous. ;0)

I've never been a fan of the traditional Thanksgiving meal. When you don't care for dressing, stuffing, gravy, or the dreaded green bean / canned mushroom soup concoction, tradition is no culinary delight. And having a father who lamented why couldn't we just have pasta in response to my mother's complaining about the work required to put the meal on the table plays into the mix.

o

Like others turkey is not our favorite but some feel it is not Thanksgiving without it and as I mentioned it is more for the sandwiches the following day than the actual day itself. That is why we have a rib roast but we also found we love the confit legs so they get made as well.

Jill like you I am more a sides and appetizer person with very little, if any of the meat. Kudos on the borekas. We always have them in the house since we came back from living in Israel. I make them and freeze them. Maggie, they are basically savory turnovers some made with puff pastry others with filo dough and are delicious. They can be stuffed with a variety of different fillings like potato, cheese, spinach, mushrooms and a combo. For us they are not part of the dinner unless someone wants to defrost those in the freezer and add it to the table.

We are bread stuffing people as well which includes the usual as well as a few other add ins like mushrooms, onions and water chestnuts for crunch and sometimes nuts. The leftovers are used in the sandwiches the following day as well as for some it is used part of a hash with a fried egg the next morning.

Lots of sides but those do not include the green bean casserole or canned cranberry sauce since no one likes either. A few different potato dishes both regular and sweet (no marshmallows) as well as a variety of vegetable dishes. This year we may include latkes for Chanukah but that would be redundant since there would be a mutiny if we didn't have our usual potato and onion dish. We end the meal with mom's homemade pies and cakes and homemade liqueurs and this year we will include sufganiyot also known as jelly donuts which are traditional for Chanukah.

For us it the one day of the year that diets are tossed aside and it is a free for all, and this year even more so with the addition of another holiday that is all about fried foods added to the mix.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 14:27

o

They sound delish!

o

We made cornbread and chestnut stuffing the 1st year we hosted. Made the cornbread. Easy. Shelled the chestnuts. OMG, that was torture. After that we switched to bread based. I prefer the bread stuffing.

Borecas are kind of like perogies. Dough with potato and cheese filling. They are my DH's grandmother's recipe from the old country (she was Sephardic, from Egypt). She wrote a cookbook and was a fabulous cook. I make them every year as nobody else in the family makes them (too much work!). They are delicious and I like the idea of keeping her tradition going, although she didn't make them for Thanskgiving per se. She made them all the time for many different occassions. I don't know how she did it in her tiny little NYC kitchen. She would make hundreds at a time for parties at her synogogue. I just made 90 of them, They are in oven cooking and now I'm on the couch with heating pad on my back! She made them well into her 80s. No idea how. Anyway, here they are when just out of the oven:

o

epi - I will be making small latkes for pass around appys before dinner. But, I will try making them in the oven instead of frying on the stovetop. Did some googling this morning and it seems they can be made in the oven. I've never done it that way, but just too messy to fry on the stove. I will freeze them (found some good tips for doing that too) and just reheat in toaster oven during the afternoon of Thanksgiving (along with the borecas).

o

Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 15:50

Jill those look delicious and I like they are baked instead of fried ... :)

o

Jill, they look so good!!!! Maggie, they are delicious. One of my favorites and DS loves them as an afternoon snack which is why we keep them in the freezer. I love how everyone has their own versions depending on cultures and there are so many different recipes. We make our based on our neighbors in Israel who was part Moroccan, part Iraqi but have also done a Turkish version. I usually put some sesame seeds on mine.

Grandma's are amazing and they have pulled off the unimaginable. Mine did the same with her specialites in the same type of tiny kitchen and cooked for the masses. DH's Italian grandma also did the same,

I haven't done latkes in the oven myself but have eaten them and they are yummy. Whatever helps with easy cleanup is good. We are thinking of doing mini's as a before dinner appy as well with either smoked salmon or salmon roe and sour cream but ours will be fried because we can't fight tradition on the holiday. My father will be grumpy all evening if they aren't exactly as he knows them since these are his favorite thing. I pick my battles. :) Are yours potato/onion filled?

Now I know what we are having for dinner thanks to you I am easily influenced when it comes to food. Tonight it will be borekas, soup and salad. Right now I have cheese filled in a puff pastry dough and potato/onion in a filo dough which I buy fresh at a greek specialty store. I have also made them with other doughs.

OM, most of the borekas/borecas and depending on the culture other names I have eaten have been baked not fried but some cultures do. Wiki has a good page on the different shapes, fillings, and means of preparations depending on where they are from. All are delicious, I have never met one I didn't like.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 16:26

o

Those borecas have potato and cheese (farmer and parmesan) filling. DH's grandmother made other varieties (leek/potato, spinach) and also made them with filo. She had a different name for the filo ones. The name escapes me right now and my back hurts too much to get off the couch and look in the cookbook! Will look later. I did make the filo dough ones once or twice but I find it so difficult to work with (keeping moist while assembling) I gave up. And I prefer the dough ones anyway.

While at the store this morning buying potatoes, I was eyeing the leeks. I make a mean potato leek soup that we all love. Not sure my back would have survived it but I am sorry I didn't buy them and make it now. That would have been a good dinner. Oh, well, next time.

o

Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 17:04

Thanks for the link Epi ... I see these in my future :)

o

Boreks/Borecas are the Turkish version, Bourekis the Greek.

Jill, those look fabulous. You made them as my great aunt, who used a pastry type dough, instead of phyllo. She also made a wonderful pie from eggplant, farmer's cheese and feta. It involved sprinkling some matzo meal on a hot cookie sheet and then the eggplant/cheese mixture. Did your DH's GM speak Ladino?

o

Yes, hosta, she did speak Ladino! As well as several other languages. It was the first time I had ever even heard of the dialect when I met DH.

This is a very simple dough -- oil, water, flour, mix. Easiest dough ever.

She also made a lot of different things with eggplant. I will have to look through the cookbook to see if any are what you describe.

o

We have a friend who makes the most delicious chestnut/sausage dressing... or stuffing... whatever you prefer to call it, inside or outside the bird... that I have ever tasted in my life! It's a ton and a half of work to prepare, but totally worth it!

o

Jill, sounds delish! My cheese filled are made with feta and farmers cheese.

OM, lots of good recipes out there from easy (store bought pastry) to difficult like Jill's which require making and rolling out the dough, a plethora of fillings and doughs to choose from and various sizes as well. Have fun experimenting on all different kinds and shapes. There are large ones that you cut like a pie and others that are coiled and even some that are cigar shaped and meat filled. I have even seen them made with wonton wrappers.

They are great to have in the freezer for days when you just don't feel like cooking. Heat and brown in the oven and have a side salad and/or soup and you are done. I have also seen them sold already prepared and frozen in middle eastern neighborhoods and specialty stores.

Jill, my DS thanks you for this since this is one of his favorite meals and I thank you since prep and clean up is easy.

You made them as my great aunt, who used a pastry type dough, instead of phyllo. She also made a wonderful pie from eggplant, farmer's cheese and feta.

I remember Paulines, also told us about her great aunt's eggplant/cheese pie several years ago. She told us that she was of Turkish descent and from MA too. You may not remember her since I think she stopped posting before you signed on. :)

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 18:20

o

I almost forget about Thanksgiving looking at the borecas, I need some time soon to try and make those. I bet the kids will love em.

I do not see the groceries going down all that Much. there are a few items cheaper right now but others definitely cost more. I will be sending Dh out for the pecans that are on sale for $6/lb. That is the best price we have seen in a long while which is really ridiculous as NM and Georgia often switch places as the top pecan producers. No homefield advantage, unfortunately.

We will have ham, I got the biggest I could find. DH tried to contend that we could get a smaller one but I reminded him how he and the kids take all of the leftovers before I can put some away for future meals. We will also have Brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes and turnips (the turnips are a yellow French variety still in the ground), green beans roasted with clementines, homemade rolls and lots of pie (pumpkin, cream cheese pumpkin, apple, chocolate meringue and custard).

I am quite thankful that it will only be the kids, DH and I. When I host the entire extended family, they sweep in like vultures, eat as much food as possible and then leave without helping to clean up which is actually a good thing as the kids often get out of hand. That is what I have to look forward to at Christmas.

o

Tishtosh, your Thanksgiving dinner plan sounds wonderful and not too stressful. I hope you have many good things to look forward to at Christmas ;-)

o

Pot cheese! Can one even get that anymore? It's probably similar enough to farmer's cheese to substitute, but giving further thought to DA's eggplant/cheese pie, I think that's what she used.

Jill, DG and his many siblings spoke Ladino, Turkish, some Greek and Spanish. Grandfather could also dance the cha-cha, tango and merengue like a pro (I don't know why this is relevant, just reminiscing, lol)

tishtoshnm, your menu sounds good, especially the GB roasted with clementines. Yum.

You are correct Epi and the smile was greatly appreciated. I did try to set things right on another thread awhile back. I sincerely hope we can move forward and put any bad feelings behind us?

o

To those making latkes, try grating a peeled apple into the potato and onion mixture - I prefer a tart variety.

In reference to the OP, Bells Seasoning, a must have for stuffing, was $1.99. I could have sworn I paid $1.39 last year.

o

You are correct Epi and the smile was greatly appreciated. I did try to set things right on another thread awhile back. I sincerely hope we can move forward and put any bad feelings behind us?

Hoot.

Paulines/Hostafrenzy,

I am sure you will understand that I am suspect of your words that you truly want to move forward differently since your very first post in this latest reincarnation was to take a snipe at me and there have been many since. We will see what the future brings. You have been on my sob list for quite some time because quite frankly, in part, I suspected it was you and I don't like dishonesty.

I admit I don’t read all the posts on the board so I never saw the one where you claim to have “set things straight” and am unable to find it in a search. Can you point me to it?

o

Not to take the thread off topic... but the a.k.a. was never in doubt. One can change one's nom de plume, but style and character have a way of revealing themselves, whether one wants them to or not...

Personally, I'm not so big on commercially raised poultry... mainly due to production conditions and methods, and how quickly the birds go from hatchling to full grown, ready to butcher... it freaks me out... so if we don't manage to make it north for Thanksgiving, we'll probably cook something entirely non-traditional.

o

This is the first Thanksgiving without my mother. I'm going to Mexico. Adios.

o

Not to take the thread off topic... but the a.k.a. was never in doubt. One can change one's nom de plume, but style and character have a way of revealing themselves, whether one wants them to or not...

Indeed Jodik, the several identities were all the same and conveniently all began with attacks on the posters that Paulines didn't like.It wasn't hard to figure out. Both Lavenderlvr and HF started with posts about me and continued, under the guise of being a new poster. :)

Even when HF was "welcomed" by other posters as a new poster there was no mention of her former name, nor has there really been any behavior modification and I have not been able to find this so called thread where things were set straight so this claim of being a new and improved poster it is all suspect. Lots of things aren't passing the smell test. It will certainly be interesting to see this supposed post where she came clean before she was outed on this thread. If one decides to leave on their own accord and then return they usually come back as themselves or if not, they at least identify who they are/were when they change their name. Otherwise it is disingenous and they immediately lack any credibility. So it is sob for me in the meantime.

I agree with you about the poultry. Our bird is coming directly from a farm where they are treated and killed humanely. That is something that I insist on with all my meats/poultry.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 13:11

o

I am sorry to hear about your loss, October... losing my parents was the hardest thing I ever went through, and though we don't often agree politically, you and I... I can understand how difficult this is for you. My sincere sympathies.

o

Why don't you grab up your little skirts and go running to the moderator if you can prove what you are saying? Worked the first time.

October, so sorry about your Mom. Be very careful down in Mexico, and hope your Thanksgiving is filled with blessings.

o

Although I don't recall the details and whether or not there was an olive branch specifically to epi, I do recall Paulines AKA Lavendar AKA Hosta Frenzy admitting to , I believe Jodi, that she was indeed Paulines/Lavendar and was wanting to give things a new go.

It wasn't that long a go....maybe a month but I have no patience for the search function.

o

I also got immediately swiped in quite the ugly manner when she came in under the latest name change and I *instantly* suspected who it was because the tone and wording fairly screamed it out. It wasnt that long ago.....

I just ignore now and will continue to unless I find reason not to.

I, too, hunted for the "set things right" post since that comment was also handed to Jodi and I awhile back in an exchange - I have now come to the conclusion that who she set things "right" with may not be an actual forum member but instead the gate keeper. Good enough for me.

It could have been so easy if she had come in as a brand new poster without gunning for anyone, I guess she couldnt help herself, scores had to be settled with a few last swipes.
It could have been a shiny new beginning, with nobody the wiser except perhaps for those she chose to clue in. Or even better yet, - could have come back in with your actual name intact, informing us that you and administration had reached a deal and you were starting fresh.

Pauline, from this point on if you leave me completely alone, Im good. There are lots and lots of forum members to exchange comments and ideas with in Hot Topics.
There will never be anything I have to say after this point on this forum which will require any response, comment or reference from you- and that goes for me too.

It is best that each of us completely SOBs the other as if the other doesn't exist. No game playing, no sly references to comments the other has made or about the other - a total scroll on by.
We both will be much better off that way and it is no skin off my nose to do so. Hopefully, no skin off yours either.

o

Well, Epi... if things truly were set straight, none of the target members were involved, nor did it include anything in the way of an apology or any expressed regret, and it wouldn't even have mattered if the words rang empty, truth be told... at least they would have been said.

I clearly remember being slighted, in not just one, but many threads... and seeing others receive the same treatment. I'm not about to claim pious behavior, myself... I've posted many a sarcastic remark, but I don't recall ever slighting anyone in a very personal way, or outright insulting them.

It's not my way to go running to the playground monitors every time someone sticks out their tongue at me. It's just not in my character to be a rat, and I dislike it as a character in others.

Perhaps this is what people have no interest in searching for... though, I can't really blame anyone for not wishing to waste energy or time on such a search...

"Posted by hostafrenzy (My Page) on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 7:09

Served its purpose.

This post was edited by hostafrenzy on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 5:37"

It appears in a thread Mylab began entitled "cost of dog ( cat) medication"... which devolved and completely came unhinged when certain posters found out that a person with 30 plus years of experience working with canines does her own veterinary work whenever possible, and did the unthinkable... yanked out a loose tooth. Heavens forbid! Yes, me!

I don't really care how or with whom things were set straight. As far as I'm concerned, no one set anything straight with me... and I can't find evidence that anything was set aright with any other posters.

I'm more than happy to do as Mylab suggests, and scroll past, and for the most part, that's what I've been doing... but that in no way means we can't figure out who it is we're scrolling past... even with one or several name changes.

There was one incident in particular that I don't think I will ever forget... and it's normally very difficult to get under my skin or rattle me in any way... but when someone tells me that I am deceptive because my photo shows me as having white skin, yet I am actually bi-racial... it tends to let me in on a little more than I want to know about the character of the person issuing such a statement... and it's something that doesn't leave the memory.

Given the accumulation of context within this forum, and the makeup of its population, I think it safe to say that we all know what really goes on. No one has to spell it out for most of us.

That's pretty much all I have to say on this issue...

o

Why don't you grab up your little skirts and go running to the moderator if you can prove what you are saying? Worked the first time.

You keep throwing out that accusation without answering the question that is asked each time you do...so why not let us know who this person is since it seems you already do. Otherwise it is just another of your baseless accusations that you fling that mean nothing.

I had no desire to go running to the moderators then nor do I now. SOBing as I have been doing is fine with me. I hope Hosta, Lavendar, Paulines or who ever she reincarnates into next time does the same, something she hasn't been able to do so far. Time will tell.

Although I don't recall the details and whether or not there was an olive branch specifically to epi, I do recall Paulines AKA Lavendar AKA Hosta Frenzy admitting to , I believe Jodi, that she was indeed Paulines/Lavendar and was wanting to give things a new go.
It wasn't that long a go....maybe a month but I have no patience for the search function.

Chase, perhaps there was but I never saw it, it wasn't addresssed to me nor was I able to find it. The only posts addressed to me were snipes or attacks including as I stated above her very first post as HF as well as her posts as LL. If one really is trying to change then they don't tell a poster that their opinion doesn't matter like she did on the thread about the restaurants giving veterans free meals.

She may have reconciled with the moderators, who knows and who really cares but makes it all the stranger why she didn't own up to this before and/or just post again as who she really is.

Time will tell if there is anything new or different or if the claim above is just more empty words but so far it has just been the same ole so sobing is the easy answer.

o

HF was around little more than two weeks ago and I responded to one of her comments. But I am so obviously out of the loop that I had no idea she was reincarnation of someone else. Duh.

Bottom line for me is that this thread and it’s wonderful food ideas is making my mouth water. We are having filet of beef and smoked duck and right now I don’t know what else besides my DIL’s pumpkin pie--I coud not really enjoy without that pie. I guess I better get busy.

Jill, eveyone is comforting you for your loss and I do, too, but I’m at least as delighted that your daughter is married.

o

Thanks Chase and Mrskjun, but they're not able to listen.

o

Gossips gotta get Peyon Place all figured out, eh?

ROTF.

Hostafrenzy whoever you are welcome I hope you keep posting!

o

Thanks pidge! I too am delighted she is married. It is so wonderful too see your daughter so happy! Does my heart good. And I just love her hubby! Such a sweet guy! And while her grandfather didn't make it to the wedding (died 2 months before) he saw her happy and that's what is important.

October - I am sorry for your loss.

o

Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 18:42

October I too am sorry for your loss, hope you enjoy your trip.

o

Thank you all very much.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, jill.

o

Hey October, I'm sorry about the loss of your mother. Please let us know how the Mexico trip goes. I really must get to Mexico; it's on the list of retirement possibilities. So you do some scouting for me, ok? :-)

Jill, I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. Dads are very special, especially to daughters. It's been more than 20 years and I still miss my father.

As to the topic, this seems to be another thread where I feel full just reading it. i will need to avoid the scale for a few days. i swear that reading about food adds poundage. :-)

o

I stay away from the animal threads because they get me angry. I did not see what was posted there originally so I cannot speak to Paulines words since they are now gone by her own doing. That begs the question why remove a post trying to make amends if you are sincere? Leaving it up shows people that you serious in your attempt to change past behavior and you no longer want to be deceitful. Constantly changing ones name doesn't change who you really are.

but they're not able to listen
HF, I can't speak for "they" but I can for myself. I was one of the recipients of your worst behavior in all your incarnations so I am skeptical to say the least. That little snipe in your last post is not an indication that you are trying to change so we will see.

Your behavior and actions in the future will show whether you are sincere in your words. If you are then your actions will match otherwise your words are meaningless. I will leave it at that.

October, my condolences to you and your family.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 19:34

o

Do you need a new stick epi, to keep beating that dead horse?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here