Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ban Pizza From School Cafeterias

Posted by gemini40 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 5:26

Never let it be said that this President doesn't have his finger on the pulse of America.
The guy is just sooooo amazingly smart isn't he...ban pizza from school cafeterias. That will certainly go a long way to solving the child obesity problem. Are you kidding me? You Dems must be so proud of your guy.It brings a tear to my eye to think he came up with this all on his own.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ban Pizza From School Cafeterias

What? An executive order banning pizza!!!

o

Catch a teenager eating pizza you can always send a drone after him.

o

You can lead an "R" to water, but you can't make him think.

o

Horny Herman will make sure those kids have pizza...

o

Must be that's why the R house said yesterday that pizza is a vegetable.

gemini, hope you don't take dietary recommendations from the R house. You do, don't you???? Come on, fess up.

o

Someone has to break it to gemini, and it ain't gonna be me.

o

Wait - if the House declared that pizza is a vegetable ... then that means that Obama banned vegetables from school cafeterias!!!! Now that's proof that he wasn't born in America because an American would never do that!

o

I don't suppose you thought about the three food groups contained in a basic slice of pizza did you?
Shame on you for not knowing...but then neither does your hero O.

o
Which one?

gemini, hope you don't take dietary recommendations from the R house. You do, don't you???? Come on, fess up.

I think gemini does.

Which of the 3 food groups in a slice of pizza equals a serving of vegetables, gemini? There is not enough tomato sauce in one slice of pizza to equal a serving. And we don't have enough information to know what the optional toppings are - cheese-only, pepperoni, mushrooms ... what's on the top?

o

Esh's thread:

Lobbying For School Lunch Contents.

How it was sold to those that swallow everything = 2nd thread:

Ban Pizza From School Cafeterias

BAAAH!

o

I don't suppose you thought about the three food groups contained in a basic slice of pizza did you?
Shame on you for not knowing...but then neither does your hero

Of course, Gemini is referring to the fat group, the cholesterol group, and the sodium group. Then there's the fizzy sugar water group - also a vegetable by the way - sugar is a plant that grows on farms!

o

Why get rid of pizza that kids like, when you can adapt the recipe?

Same reason you destroy health care people like, when you could have adapted the recipe.

It's all about the power.

o

Linked is the pizzahut nutritional info, click through to see each menu item.

And, of course, multiply their 'serving' with what people actually eat.

Commercial pizza like this makes everyone in my family physically ill - maybe its the combo of massive amounts of salt, fat, fake cheese, preservative laden over-processed meat. Maybe.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I love Pizza who wouldn't it's a NY staple first Pizza in the US created by Lombardi's if you ever visit you should have it it's still there.
Good Pizza made from scratch not frozen crap filled with chemicals & loaded with nitrites . Even so I can have as slice here & there like once every other month it's loaded with saturated fats & salt. Nik is right it could be modified.

Low sodium pizza isn't thrilling EDD is supposed to eat less than 1600 mg of salt sodium per day 1 slice of Pizza Hut's is 1700mg with 34 grams of fat.
Healthy Choice French Bread 480 4 grams of fat...it's not bad but I wouldn't call it pizza.

I enjoy the outrage though

o

Why get rid of pizza that kids like, when you can adapt the recipe?

Same reason you destroy health care people like, when you could have adapted the recipe.

It's all about the power.

No, once again it is about ignorance - willful ignorance of the sort paraded on these forums daily by people living in a Fox News bubble and either too lazy to get the facts straight or too partisan to care.

The USDA wanted to require tomato paste and puree be credited as a vegetable based on the actual volume that is served. So - in a change from current standards - the scant layer of sauce served on a slice of pizza wouldn't be classified as a vegetable. The USDA wanted a half-cup of tomato paste or more to be counted as a vegetable, the Associated Press reports.

Now you can quibble whether that is too much sauce for a pizza, or whether you think a quarter cup of watered down puree is "a serving" but it is clearly NOT a ban on pizza and in fact, your position, to not ban but improve is actually closer to the USDA's position than to Congress'. Thanks for the chuckle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lets at least get the facts straight

o

"Why get rid of pizza that kids like, when you can adapt the recipe?"

This is so true and so obvious. There are many varieties and combinations of healthier pizza that can be made or purchased. Thankfully, pizza is one of those foods that lends itself to modification and you don't have to sacrifice taste.

One of my favorites is a very thin crust brushed with a wee bit of olive oil, topped with roasted chicken, sage, a bit of crumbled goat cheese and sprinkled with chopped pecans. The possibilities are endless.

We never liked "PizzaSlut" in our house, but we still like to have a gooey, salty, greasy cheesy pizza every now and then because it's damn tasty and satisfying.

Calling pizza a "vegetable" is a bit of a stretch. On the other hand, equating it with the seven deadly sins isn't exactly smart, either. What kind of drugs are they doing on The Hill these days?

If they want to pass a resolution saying that politicians are vegetables, I could agree with them. ;-)

o

Pizza is not health food no matter how you slice it. Let's face facts, here... public school lunches are not exactly the epitome of healthy eating for children. When we are young, we are developing habits that last a lifetime.

Fox News bubble, indeed...

o

The stuff they used to sell at Yankee stadium was vomit like the crap Sarah Palin & Donald Trump were eating.
I bought a Trail mix the other day & I'm such a lable reader I was shocked that my yellow raisins almonds & black raisins had corn syrup & artificial sweetners added. What horse pucky!
Send in the drones indeed

o

"Why get rid of pizza that kids like, when you can adapt the recipe?"

This is so true and so obvious. There are many varieties and combinations of healthier pizza that can be made or purchased. Thankfully, pizza is one of those foods that lends itself to modification and you don't have to sacrifice taste.

Then you must be in favor of the USDA bill which DOESN'T ban pizza.

o

From now on I'm writing Saint kingturtle in honor of the patience he shows in refuting and debunking talking points from the right-wing noise machine.

o

Nancy, I can't claim the patience of a Saint, but join you in saying it would be so much more interesting here to actually debate the issues rather than spending the whole thread debunking bogus claims made by Fox News.

o

Or you could really do the personal responsibility thing and ban subsidized lunches and cafeterias totally from schools. Let kids bring their own lunch!

I don't get this lunch thing. We have some subsidized meals for children in inner city schools but generally kids have to bring their own lunch from home and Mom and Dad get to choose what Johnnie eats and pay for it too!

Forget banning pizza ban school lunches!

o

I've been thinking on this for bit......I know I really need a life!

If the US government, authorized by it's citizens, takes it upon itself to provide/subsidize food programmes in schools it seems to me they also assume the responsibility of ensuring that which they provide to the children is healthy and follows recognized healthy eating guidelines.

o

You kidding crap a la mode

o

If the US government, authorized by it's citizens, takes it upon itself to provide/subsidize food programmes in schools it seems to me they also assume the responsibility of ensuring that which they provide to the children is healthy and follows recognized healthy eating guidelines.

So true!

o

The question is, is the school lunch program a subsidy created to insure that poor children receive a healthy meal, or is it a subsidy to big business guaranteeing them sales to public school systems?

o

I've always been under the impression that part of being a responsible parent is not always giving kids what they like. Since when do kids run the household and make demands of the parental figures, who automatically bow down and give in?

Processed bleached grains, corn sugars, and processed cheese food are not nutritional by any stretch of the imagination!

o

chase: I have read that for some children school lunch is the only meal they get in which case they cannot be gotten rid of.

I wonder if there is a way for the surplus agriculture that we produce in this country end up being us in the school lunch program (like the blocks of cheese about 30 years ago - anyone remember the blocks of cheese?). Seems like you can give the kids good nutrition and put the surplus to use (I am not even sure if there is a surplus anymore).

o

Here comes the liberal maverick. Hate to be out of step, you know--but I LOVE PIZZA! Fell for it in 7th grade and have been faithful to it ever since--and I'll be retiring in about 6 months! Now admittedly, commercial pizza isn't the greatest, but me and my (adult) kids make a mean home pizza--piled up so high with nutritious goodies! It's nearly an art work when we finish!

Sooooo--don't mess with my pizza! Them's fighting words!

Kate

o

I have some great recipes for pizza that are healthy Jodi!! I have one for yeastless crust too, it only takes about ten minutes to make and then you can put anything you want on it. I made one the other day with veggies blended into tomato sauce so DD didn't even know they were there, then added onions and chicken and cheese and she gobbled it up. And she's not some junk-food-free kid either. She knows what the processed stuff tastes like and she prefers what we make.

I think they should have the cafeteria workers be COOKS again, rather than reheaters.

o

"The USDA wanted to require tomato paste and puree be credited as a vegetable based on the actual volume that is served."

Not at all the result they want. The amount used on pizza is nowhere near the amount the USDA is demanding. The argument that it "wanted" tomato products credited as a vegetable is nonsense. Kids like pizza that looks and tastes like pizza. When the government requires one serving of pizza to hold a half cup of sauce, kids will toss that soggy, inedible mess into the garbage just as quickly as adults would. Yuk.

o

I don't know how it can be made any clearer for you, Nik. The USDA is following the law as required by the legislation signed by Bush and the Republican Congress and guidelines of the Institute of Medicine. The bill DOES NOT dictate recipes for Pizza. The guidelines relate to the minimum requirements by volume for a serving of vegetables. The Food Lobby is perverting government to circumvent and twist the commonsense and science based nutrition guidelines to keep them lax enough to keep selling their version of non-nutritional Pizza AND CALL IT A VEGETABLE. No one is saying you can't ever serve pizza with just sauce and cheese - its just not a vegetable. No one is saying you can't change the pizza recipe to make it a single serving by boosting the sauce volume and including a veggie topping or salad with it.

o

You know, people only hear what they want to hear. Stop making sense!

o

The lobbyists were behind this and the french fry allowance for school lunches.

You all do realize that you are ruining what's her name's fun don't you? Unless she really believes what she spouts, in which case she is still operating under 2009 -2010 Faux News belief guidelines.

How about that Presidential birth certificate Gemimi? Good forgery wasn't it! An example of what big power can arrange, 'eh! Give a terrorist the Presidency and who knows WHAT will happen!
And since your beloved Beck is no longer the Leader of the Faux Pack.....another abuse of your President's power too, right?

So, who do you love? Cain? Newt? Perry?

I'm thinking Bachmann sounds like someone you might embrace and support with full vigor since your President obviously used his powers to get rid of his biggest competitor and your very most favorite of all, Palin.

o

Kate (or poster k/a Kate, lol), I'm with you on the pizza. Homemade dough and fresh tomatoe sauce (with a touch of fennel), buffalo mozzerella and fresh basil...what could be bad.

o

pizza is possibly the best source and flexible foods you could serve people with all 4 food groups.
(1) meats, poultry, fish, dry beans and peas, eggs, and nuts;

(2) dairy products, such as milk, cheese, and yogurt;

(3) grains; and

(4) fruits and vegetables.

as for quality of food or how it is made that is another matter.
but if student will not eat the food that school serves then the effort to improve school food is waste of money no matter who is footing the bill.
just remember roaches have survived on the planet millions of years and they will eat just about anything.
same with starving human.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here