Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Toronto need a new mayor?

Posted by jmc01 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 5:40

Canadian TV media seems to have a soft spot for this guy. Can he be recalled?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Toronto need a new mayor?

Shades of Marian Berry...

o

He made an "honest" mistake. :)

o

That!s true, and he is taking full responsibility for it...

o

Hey, Zack Reed won again in Cleveland. Three time DUI veteran cruises to a big win. Voter apathy?

o

One would hope they get a new mayor, this is going to be a HUGE distraction, and the people of Toronto deserve better.

o

He could have said he didn't inhale.

o

The man is an egomanic, low class, self indulgent jerk. He should resign but he won't and unless there is a criminal charge laid he can't be ousted.

He has said he will stay on to the next election and will run again. I guarantee you he will be embarrassed at the polls.....

Toronto deserves so much more than this idiot.

o

Wow. Such sour words coming from a Canadian. :)

o

A total BS artists with that you didn't ever ask me the question the right way!

o

A total BS artists with that you didn't ever ask me the question the right way!

He answers the way Obama answers, like a lawyer. :)

o

What's this, now? He slipped and his lips wound up on a crack pipe during one of his drunken stupors so he smoked it? Did I hear that right?

I guess it depends on what you're willing to overlook as a part of that voting public... a header under the desk is a definite no-no, but drugs and binge drinking might be okay...

o

This is a question for the residents of Toronto to decide.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 11:56

A man of the people...

o

He's sure an embarrassment to Toronto, imo. I know he has damaged himself--he's not the first lush to be elected to high office--but I'd be more interested in knowing what damage, if any, he has done to the people of Toronto,

o

I wish the citizens did have a say right now, but they don't. Unless he is charged criminally he gets to stay on until the next election.

Trust me his ego is such that he won't step down voluntarily. He is a career low level politician who ended up in the Mayor's chair through an accident of municipal realignment as far as I'm concerned. He'll hang on 'cause he has no other way of making a living.

The man is a detriment to the city, a huge ( understatement is many ways ) detriment to such a beautiful vibrant city. There is no way that council will be able to focus on all the issues facing Toronto...it's a side show and he's a jerk.........low life scum ball.....ask me how I really feel.

o

This is a question for the residents of Toronto to decide.

No it's not. It's up to the rest of us to tell them what to decide.

o

The adjective "Porcine" comes to mind.

o

Is it just me or does he remind you of Rush Limbaugh? The comedians are having a field day with this. Kimmel showed footage of him falling down in different scenes. Was he drunk, high, or just plain obese? Toronto is too great a city to have this guy representing them.

o

Nothing wrong with being a drunk. See Zack Reed, Cleveland. Three time DUI veteran wins by a landslide.

Pathetic voters. I guess he has to kill somebody to be voted out of office.

o

Are we sure he is not American? Lol

o

Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America.......and what do we have a 2nd rate drunk with a drug habit!

i need a drink! LOL

o

Rob Ford smokes crack.

Apparently that's news to the rest of the world...lol!

I say keep him. Nobody cares about city politics anyway and he's great for the entertainment value alone.

o

Ironically I just read this today. I am a proponent of legalizing drugs, but having known people who have been addicted to meth I had always made that the one exception. I'm not sure if this article changed my mind but it has made me think about it a little bit more.

I posted this to this link because it seems to be the most applicable and I didn't want to start a new thread.... I would say that the mayor would probably be just as much of an idiot if he didn't smoke crack and did some other kinds of altering substances. Someone mentioned Rush Limbaugh, he was addicted to something legal, wasn't he?

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything you know about crack and meth is wrong

o

"Someone mentioned Rush Limbaugh, he was addicted to something legal, wasn't he?"

That was lily. Prescription drugs, I think.

But he's not running a city.

o

Three time DUI veteran wins by a landslide.

He tied Cheney and Bush and it didn't stop you from voting for them....twice!

o

"Three time DUI veteran wins by a landslide.
He tied Cheney and Bush and it didn't stop you from voting for them....twice! "

Re "He tied Cheney and Bush."

Source?

o

Source? How about Police arrest records and court documents?
Bush's "youthful indiscretion" while 30 years old:

Cheney's 1st DUI

Cheney's 2d DUI:

o

Oh for heaven's sake; you totaled the two. Too funny. I do agree with the sarcastic tone in regard to age 30 and "youthful." Very similar to "children" aged 26 being included on their parents' health insurance policies; ludicrous.

o

Good sleuthing, heri.

o

For the sake of the folks in toronto, I hope the next election gets here soon. This is a guy who is not going to go away willingly.

o

Is that as good as Obama's drug use heri?

o

Chase , have you seen the latest video of the mayor in the worse foul-mouthed rant about killing someone for which he apologized today saying he was in a drunken stupor? Kimmel ran it on his show and Letterman did his monologue around it. Fodder for the comedians, and his approval rating went up, so they say!!!

o

No, his approval rating went up between May and this last 1-2 wks according to the Toronto papers. I've seen Toronto tv this week and like I said in the OP, the tv media seemed to treat this lightly in the early part of the week. It seemed that their bias changed and got more realistic in the last day or so as some of his inner circle have changed their public stance. The City council is coming after him, too.

o

His popularity has plummeted as well it should.

The relationship with Ford and the Press is very dicey. Back a year or so ago the Star made an allegation that they had seen a tape showing the Mayor smoking crack but they could not produce the tape.

The Mayor went ballistic.....something he is prone to do. and called then liars who were only trying to slander him. He demanded proof of the tape but the Star could not produce it.

Ford blasted them on a daily basis and in September the Ontario Press Council held hearings to decide if the press had acted irresponsibly. They were found to have acted responsibly but there was a real to do and accusation from the right that the left wing press was out to destroy Ford.

As a result it appears that the press took great pains not to appear to be to aggressive with the Mayor ......until they were vindicated by the admission...then they went for the throat!

They will be on him now like white to rice........looks good on the idiot!

o

His mom says all he needs to do is lose weight.

o

How totally embarrassing...did you see that interview with his sister and Mom.....spare me.

She also said she told him to get a personal driver and put a breathalyzer in his car.........what a joke!

o

mkjun said, Is that as good as Obama's drug use heri?

Do you like to compare Apples and lemons?
Do you have ANY evidence that Barack Obama endangered others by operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or that he did so repeatedly despite being apprehended by law enforcement, or that he was using drugs or driving drunk at 30 years of age, like George Bush?

So, you are attempting to compare the worst President in U.S. history, George W. Bush, to our current President ?

Bush ignored warnings and allowed the largest attack on our homeland in its history, he then told Americans to go shopping. He gave enormous tax breaks that stimulated the economy for the wealthy while turning a surplus into a deficit. He led a nation into War to deflect his failures on 911 and to gain family revenge on Saddam Hussein. He encouraged Freddie and Fannie to approve no down payment mortgages to minorities while allowing a deregulated wall street crowd to trade mortgage paper like it was play money. Then, after the banking industry heated and the housing market crashed, he bailed Wall Street and the Big Banks with our tax dollars.
Finally he put on the cowboy boots and rode off in the sunset, choosing to paint pictures of his toes rather than offering a helping hand to fix what he helped to break.

Meanwhile historians will view President Obama as the one who stimulated our economy to help our country rise to its feet, who saved our auto industry, who made the call to kill Osama Bin Laden. And President Obama will likely be remembered as the President who finally helped millions of Americans not only gain access to health insurance, but to healthcare. And finally history will remember Pres. Obama as great man who, like Jackie Robinson, graciously withstood withering attacks from haters while conducting himself with dignity, with class, and with honor.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 2:40

o

Heri, give it a break. You are so besotted by the man you sound on the verge of a breakdown now that his charm is not working quite as well as usual.

o

Heri, any comments on the subject of this thread - Toronto's mayor? you coveredjust about everything except this subject in your rant.

o

What I absolutely love is he admitted to smoking crack by saying he must have done it while in one of his drunken stupors.... seriously! His own words!

Pure.
Comedy.
Gold.

o

The Mayor's Office has issued new notepaper... to speed things up, make them easier.

o

"What I absolutely love is he admitted to smoking crack by saying he must have done it while in one of his drunken stupors.... seriously! His own words!"

Right? BTW, love the notepad ;-)

Priceless.

o

LOL.........I'm with a bunch of fellow Torontonians reminiscing over the good old days when we had a class act Mayor like Mel Lastman.

o

The natives soup pot not withstanding...

Oh, Toronto is just a barrel of laughs.

P.S. Your traffic sucks.

o

Snicker....

I shouldn't get such a kick out of this man's woes.... but the jokes and comments are pretty darn funny.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 10:27

A lot more people now know where Canada is. Could be good for tourism!

o

jmc01 scolded: Heri, any comments on the subject of this thread - Toronto's mayor? you coveredjust about everything except this subject in your rant.

My comments were on topic - the relative culpability of public officials for drug and alcohol abuse. And they were in response to a post about another elected official, the new Mayor elect of Cleveland. In contrast, your provocation was unwarranted.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 10:58

o

I wonder how much of the city's money is being moved from taxpayers into private hands while the Ford fiasco continues. If you remember back to provincial amalgamation, which resulted in suburbanites electing Ford as mayor of Toronto, you can begin to see this as all part of a Conservative plan for a whole lot of taxpayers' cash that was just sitting there idle.
Ford is just a diversion; a sleight of hand to distract attention. Who know's what's really going on when that much money is involved..

o

I actually live in Toronto. If Rob Ford does manage to retain his position as Mayor until the next election, I hope that there is a "middle" candidate that I can support, otherwise I am going to have a tough decision to make. I absolutely will not vote for the extreme left. I did read in this thread that Rob Ford will try and hold on to his position since he has no other way to make a living. To the best of my knowledge (and I could be wrong) the Ford's own a family business and neither Rob nor his brother, Doug (and frankly Doug needs to go - Rob has allowed him to speak way too much on his behalf as well as too much power) donate their salaries to charity (and get tax breaks). Certainly, Rob is an embarrassment to Toronto - but to be fair the press and many members of the City Council have been out to get him (this started well before the current circus). I live in a Ward that is represented by such a member of the city council - and I do not support her! I guess we will see what happens come election time.

o

I'm not sure if he belongs in jail or a mental health facility!

This man needs help!

I don't think his latest will get past the censors, so I will link.

Are we sure Chris Farley hadn't been resurrected and this is a giant prank. Crazy train!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

This guy is not well! Toronto is a huge city....a multi BILLION dollar budget is set to be tabled. He has got to go.

The Province has the ability to remove him if it appears he is a detriment to the efficient operation of the city.... IF IF.....maybe the Premier of Ontario needs to watch Jon Stewart!

City Council just voted to limit certain of his powers...to teh degree they legally can. One of them is his powers is the event of a cit emergency. Hope they can find him in whatever crack house he is happens to be in if there is a terrorist attack!

o

OMG, he's like a caricature. He's a combination of Chris Farley and Rush Limbaugh.

I understand you guys who live in Toronto are upset, and I certainly would not want someone who appears to be mentally unhinged represent me. (well, there is Ted Cruz), but the comedians in this country are having a field day. In fact Kimmel and Letterman devoted much of their opening monologues on his antics.

The crack admission ,drunken stupor, the profane rant about killing someone and then the extremely vulgar rant about oral sex and sexual harassment are so over the top, that it wouldn't even believed as a wild skit on SNL.

His family should get him to a mental health facility and get about 200 pounds off the obese man.

o

He was right... there's lots at home...

o

LOl HG except that must be a very old pic. He is at least a hundred pound heavier and 20 years older......pig!

o

Excellent move to give raises to all the Ford loyalists before the council meeting!

o

He was just on the air to say he wants all his political colleagues drug tested
--claiming they all do drugs. Sorry, but the current most negative American stereotype of Canadians is polite but boring--not Crackhead Nation! This is like watching a train reck in slow mo'!

o

The guy just went totally berserk at a council meeting. Right on camera he charged at the gallery and in the doing knocked a female council member to the floor.

He is so far out of control that it is now getting very scary...past funny....way fast funny. I think he is about to implode.

o

"He is so far out of control that it is now getting very scary...past funny....way fast funny. I think he is about to implode."

Aren't there grounds for involuntary commitment? In Wisconsin, if 3 witnesses will give sworn statements that they have witnessed the subject engaging in behavior that is dangerous to himself and/or others, law enforcement takes the subject into custody, then places him into a locked mental facility for evaluation. A hearing takes place within 24 hours to determine whether a 30 day commitment is appropriate.

o

He isn't demonstrating behviour quite that bad....YET!

Erratic, crazy, stupid, bullying but not dangerous ...YET!

o

Erratic, crazy, stupid, bullying but not dangerous

Sound like a perfect candidate for Italy's Lega Nord, plus there's a colorful history of fisticuffs in the Senate and Chambers of Deputies.

He'll fit right in.

But he should be aware that the Italian parliamentary dust ups aren't necessarily fueled by drugs and alcohol.

Better, or worse?

You decide.

o

Let's see. He's a crack smoking obese drunk who sexually harasses female employees and uses crude graphic language.? And yet there are no grounds to remove him? He does look like he'll implode any minute.

Does he remind anyone of Chris Farley?

o

Looks like another Canadian, Mike Holmes of Holmes on Homes.

o

Well, it looks like Toronto sort of has a new mayor, for practical purposes. Good luck Norm Kelly.

And the new TV show is done!

o

As I have watched this story on the news evolve, I kept feeling the urge to send Canada a sympathy card saying "We feel your pain."

You should find some small measure of comfort in the fact that Canada has only one embarrassing nut job acting out for all the world to see. And that the Canadian people would never loudly and proudly re- elect him back into office.

o

Exactly , mylab. This guy doesn't represent Canada. He's an embarrassment to them. Down here , his base(conservative) would keep him in office and overlook his "flaws".

You Canadians should watch our late night comedians. Kimmel and Letterman are having a field day. They don't need their writers. Every night they just show the day's footage of Ford. Yesterday was the one of him running like an elephant and knocking a woman over. He has apologized in every interview for every sin using the same speech over and over word for word. The funniest line is he works out two hours a day with a trainer!!

o

Lily, we do watch in nightly....my husband actually tapes the late night ones and we watch them with our first coffee......so pathetic!

o

Chase, if, as it seems likely, Ford has been driving under the influence of crack cocaine and immense amounts of alcohol, he is truly dangerous.
And remember, much of this investigation began with a murder enquiry.

o

Nina, believe me the seriousness of this does not escape me but one can't help but understand why it has an amusement level for those not affected by this very ill man and his irresponsible, erratic actions.

o

I agree with Nina that it seems some of the charges should bring a trial for him. Driving DUI and smoking crack are just two instances.

Chase...I kinda agree. Kimmel is almost wetting his pants with glee at every word and action Ford does. He wants him on his show. Ford is actually desperately in need of help. Where is his family?

o

Trying to pretend they don't know him, I imagine.

snip-"Before last week, one of Renata Ford's few forays into the media spotlight came in 2008, following a widely reported domestic dispute with her husband.

Rob Ford was charged with assault and threatening death, and the case went to court, but prosecutors withdrew the charges, citing inconsistencies in Renata Ford's statements.

The couple's children, 8-year-old Stephanie and 5-year-old Doug, have been spared any direct media coverage as their father's misconduct prompted the City Council to strip away his powers. But the children figure indirectly in recently released police documents suggesting that some Ford staffers were at times concerned about their well-being.

In February, for example, Ford became publicly intoxicated at the Garrison Ball, an annual charity event to which he had taken his children, and he was asked to leave. According to police documents, staffers took the children to McDonald's rather than let them get back into their father's vehicle, which was being driven by a friend who has since been indicted on drug charges."

Here is a link that might be useful: Rob Ford's Family

o

Actually, his brother is almost a shadow to this guy. They are extremely close and are almost never seen publicly without each other. Doug Ford who staunchly defends his brother is also a Toronto Councillor.

The brother, Mother and Sister all staunchly defend him saying he just needs to loos weight and get a driver...........

Thankfully this may fade a bit now that he has been stripped of his municipal powers...that is until the documents and tapes are released and the trial of his body guard starts.....stay tuned for the next thrilling (not) episode.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here