Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haka

Posted by jon_in_wessex z8/9 UK (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 7:17

The recent thread on patriotism at sporting events reminded me:

For those that don't know it - this is what you face when the New Zealand All Blacks come to town for a real football game - no helmets, no padding, no commercials, no time outs.

Best wishes
Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: The challenge

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haka

What a monstrous hit Chabal put on one of the new zealaders in that game. I still don't know who won.

Here is a melodramatic highlight reel:

Here is a link that might be useful: battlefield

o

Egads! What's with guys and the love of macho posturing?

Kate

o

Cultural, not gender-based. And older than the hills.

Best wishes
Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Ferns

o

I imagine that the opposing teams from the All Blacks just have to be a tiny bit intimidated, even if forewarned. They also win an awful lot of games.

And anything any other Rugby team would do would just be a widely recognized, pale knockoff. IOW, they've got the pre-game intimidation gig locked up.

o

I am intimidated. Sort of like intramural football without helmet and pads except one of the teams is comprised of cavemen and Spartans.

o

"Egads! What's with guys and the love of macho posturing?"

I'm guessing then that you wouldn't be impressed with the opening scenes of my love making.

Hay

o

Probably not, Hay. In fact, definitely not. Not my idea of warming up/foreplay. LOL

As far as rugby and such are concerned, I do remember my next door rugby-playing neighbor years ago bragging that they were the toughest of all the athletes in the world. He was quite proud of it. My young daughter did shag balls (or whatever they call the thing that scores points) for a couple months, but I don't remember any intimidation ritual at the beginning.

You're right, the females do it too, but I notice more flowing gestures from them. The guys look more like they are not only beating someone up, but enjoying doing it.

That's how it appears to me.

Kate

o

Thanks for posting because it is a window on a world that was only a word for me (Rugby). I watched all the videos and still can't find the "why".
Team sports bore me; I only watch tennis. The REAL sport I love is rock climbing, but it is rarely televised: one person hanging by a few fingertips while looking for a toehold-sure death if they don't figure it out.

o

I played rugby just once when I was about 19 - I was a decent athlete in basketball and soccer - but I wasn't really enthused about the apparent total lack of rules. Being knocked flat and stepped upon with cleated oafish feet by some large goon when not even near the action happened several times before I escaped.

o

There are countless full contact sporting activities involving combat, or combat of sorts. Americans enjoy Boxing, Wrestling, Football, Hockey, Mixed Martial Arts... and on and on.

Females are just as interested as males.

I, myself, am a huge fan of MMA, enjoying both male and female divisions.

o

I, myself, (a female), am bored silly by MMA and other contact or "combat" sports as a rule. Used to enjoy baseball when I was growing up and played some softball in my 40s--thoroughly engrossing while I was involved in them, but when I gave them up (for various reasons), I instantly lost all interest in them also. Sports just don't seem to work well for some of us.

Kate

o

Not really into participating in team sports, but I love watching the Pack. That may be more of a cult thing.

I like more solitary sports: anything on skis, scuba diving, sailing. Rock climbing sounds way too lonely.

o

A couple of my inlaws were major Rugby players so I learned to enjoy it well enough - the best part being that at the end of the match, both teams get together and drink lots of beer. Very few serious grudges stayed on after that.

Steve, my son is heavily into rock climbing. I can see the fun.

o

Exactly, David... it's a job, not revenge. Though, in some sports, it's considered in bad taste to pit one teammate against another, no matter how good the match might be. Teams are like families.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here