Palestine, finally

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 7:31

So the UN recognized Palestine.

What do we think will be the effects?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palestine, finally

I'm too cynical to think anything on the ground will change. They will continue to kill each other.

I'm ashamed that Canada voted against recognizing Palestine.

And I am utterly horrified that Harper once again allowed John "Hulk SMASH!" Baird to open his mouth and embarrass this country.

o

From AP: Nine Nations Vote Against Palestinian UN Upgrade

Voting "no" Thursday were Israel, the United States and Canada, joined by the Czech Republic, Panama and several Pacific island nations: Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru and Palau. The Pacific nations typically support the U.S. and Israel at the U.N. on key General Assembly resolutions.

o

I fear our bully power is slipping away.

o

Israel, in my lifetime, which roughly coincides with Israel's lifetime, has gone from having the support of the world to having very little support in the world.

In just the past five or ten years, on this very forum (and its predecessors), I've seen a dramatic shift. I can remember times when anyone even questioning what was happening in Israel would have immediately brought out the intimating cries of "Anti-Semitic!!!".

Hay

o

I have nothing against Israel. This is more about the USA's stronghold on the Middle East, with support of its allies.

o

HG.....I agree. I am ashamed of my country and the positron we have taken in this matter.

Harper is just such a wanna be American. Not in the cultural sense but he wishes he could be a "really big boy " in world politics like the American President is....well get over it! Time to go back to doing what we do really well as Canadians acting as mediators and moderates without an agenda.

Three more long years....ugh

o

First of all, I'd like to know what you have against positrons... they happen to be my favourite particles.

Second, I'm quite pi$$ed at the chest thumping this idiot (and his pit bull) is doing right now.

Recalling diplomats? You dorks, how do you expect dialogue if you recall representatives?

Besides, do these morons really believe anyone CARES if Canada recalls representatives from Israel, West Bank or the UN? Nobody will even notice.

Yes, three more long years.

o

HG, I use the Swype feature on my android and the results can be quite amusing.....and of course, given the position (whew , got it right this time) I took on the edit thread, ...there was no correcting it.

o

No, no, you should edit it! Then certain people can wonder what awful thing you said that you had to take back ;-)

o

I have nothing against Israel but I believe that the Palestine nation deserves the right to be a nation just as Israel does.

o

ditto esh!

o

I don't think this will change much, except perhaps to temporarily boost the morale of the Palestinian people.

o

And a day after (most) of the world welcomed Palestine, Israel signalled its intentions:

The Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has ordered the construction of thousands of new homes in Jewish settlements in the occupied territories in what will be widely interpreted as retaliation for the United Nations vote to recognise a Palestinian state on Thursday.

The Secretary of State will now ritually tell them they are being naughty.

Best wishes,
Jon

o

We can hardy wait for a free Palestine state to join that panoply of enlightened, democratic, peaceful, and stable Islamic nations that are ever so tolerant of the rights of religious and sexual minorities, women, and non-believers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here