Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We've come a long way, baby.

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 9:02

The nytimes this morning has an article about the Secession movement in Texas.

This phenomenon and the seeming ideological schism between Americans these days is reminiscent of the late 1850's descent into war between States. Superficially, at least, and I would argue that is all it is: posturing by powerless people, and that it well illustrates how very much the War changed things.

In 1859-60 a powerful special-interest group of citizens (big land and slave owners) and politicians quasi-illegally seized control of legislatures in the various southern States and were able to make those States secede. It was a coup, by any definition. The little people, for the most part, were against it. Afterward, events took control.

Switch to now: a diffuse group of disgruntled citizens (with little or no power) and minor politicians have by-passed State political machinery and are pressing the Federal government directly to allow secession of a State. All actual power in that State is opposed to the idea (in part because they are probably a bit better educated about history), so Obama will simply issue some kind of platitudinal formal opinion on the matter and that will be the end of it. Much like Occupy Wall Street, it is toothless and can be easily and safely ignored or patronized a little for brownie points.

So that is the "state" of things and much has changed. Nobody will be mounting their steeds for Texas to teach those rebs a lesson, because the lesson was learned: work the system, don't fight it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We've come a long way, baby.

It's just a spoiled child having a tantrum and taking its toys back home where you can't touch them. As I mentioned before, "secede" is the Texas chronic response to anything that doesn't go its own way. They seem to believe the Union will be truly crippled without them and their resources (toys) and thus will be really sorry they messed with Texas!

I think it is kinda funny--but local advocates always sound self-righteously convinced their position is unassailable.

Kate

o

And when faced with a spoiled child having a tantrum, the best course of action, in my opinion, is to ignore it. Give it any attention, and you've just given it merit through acknowledgement.

If they could only see how silly the idea is in this day and age...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 17:50

Texas should join the United States of Mexico while it still can.

o

The government of these states are smart enough to know they do not want to go that route. If they let them have their desire they would be shooting their neighbors for food.

o

Horsefeathers! If the separation was peaceful with a "common" market and easy migration of people and capital, their shouldn't be much of a problem. If there was to be a shooting civil war, poor Texas and poor Louisiana.

o

Please let them go, please! It's the GOP's only hope of ever having a viable candidate for president ever again. By 2016 after Obama hands out amnesty to all those millions of Texas illegals they'll become citizens and register to vote. That's as good as the apocalypse right there: Texas will become a swing state leaning blue. Look what happened to Colorado OMG! roll me a joint!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here