Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Democratic Caucus in the House

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 10:30

The Democratic caucus in the House is made up of a majority of women and minorities. Evidently a first for any democratic country in the world although I have not verified that independently.

Quite remarkable and very reflective of the shifting demographics and eventual power base in the States.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Democratic Caucus in the House

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 11:12

I hope the Republican caucus is paying attention. It's mostly white men. And as O'Reilly whined the other night, they are not in the majority any more.

o

I think it's great.

o

It's about time!

Yes, I hope the Republicans are paying attention. On second thought, maybe I hope they are not...

o

I think that is great news. Now I'm waiting for the day when when make up at least 52% of each House.

Kate

o

The 113th Congress will be more representative of the United States from race to religion, and from gender to sexual orientation. It will look more like America with 4 new African American representatives, 10 new Latinos, 5 new Asian Americans and 24 women in the House or Senate.* It will believe more like America with the first two Hindu congresspeople, the first Buddhist senator, and the first non-theist to openly acknowledge her belief prior to getting elected. It will love more like America, with 4 new LGBT congresspeople or senators, including the first openly bisexual congresswoman and the first openly gay congressman of color. And it will be younger, with four new congressmen born in the 1980s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Think Progress

o

Now, maybe, just maybe, they can get something done, unlike the Democrats before them.

o

Yes, that does sound like a shift. One we can really use. Won't it be fantastic! (I wrote the below first and then tried to compose myself)

I just got a mental image of the dem and rep caucuses (what is the plural?!) literally standing ready to fight hand-to-hand. Hardly a good image. HA! I dunno why. I'm having a hard day, but I don't know, maybe I need liquor? Or if hay and tobr were around they'd say dancing around manties (won't work for me!) would cheer me up.

o

Now, maybe, just maybe, they can get something done, unlike the Democrats before them.

Well, at least I feel more comfortable about the future now that I don't have to worry about our war-loving, recession-loving brethren running havoc again.

-Ron-

o

I am loving every single moment of this historic time.

o

As a side note - Angus King, Independent senator-elect from Maine, will caucus with the Democrats.

Per his Wiki page: King supports the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. He is also pro-choice on abortion.
King supports same-sex marriage, stating that it is "necessary to provide couples and their families with equal protection under the law."

o

If they walked on water cured cancer some of yall would still be yapping!

o

Angus King, Independent senator-elect from Maine, will caucus with the Democrats.

Yes, and there are a lot of grumblings about it, although it was completely expected. What's an Independent to do? Without a caucus, apparently you have virtually no power at all? I need to learn more about that arcane system, as I imagine we Mainers will do as a matter of course over the next few years.

I'm curious what Bill V thought of King back when he was governor. The republicans ran a few halfhearted ads about King's supposed failed electricity-windmill project, but other than that folks seemed to accept him as a shoo-in from the get-go. (How's that for hyphen-mania?) Our bumbling teaparty governor is not pleased with the results of the elections, but oh well.

I don't know about King yet myself other than applauding the moustache choice. In any case, King's campaign headquarters is just a few blocks away from my house next to the local independent grocery, and his aides appear to be about as diverse as lily-white Maine can provide. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: King a liberal democrat per Republican party

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here