Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Soon Can We Dump Secessionist States?

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 11:00

That's it. How fast can we be rid of the gimmie states that get more federal assistance than they contribute -- while complaining about Big Governement and States Rights?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Soon Can We Dump Secessionist States?

Posted by chisue (My Page) on Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 11:00

That's it. How fast can we be rid of the gimmie states that get more federal assistance than they contribute -- while complaining about Big Governement and States Rights?

Exactly!

I also like what Austin, TX petitioned to do (this was a response to the petitions to secede):

"Mr. President, please sign an executive order such that each American citizen who signed a petition from any state to secede from the USA shall have their citizenship stripped and be peacefully deported."

o

Something tells me they are a lot bigger on talkin' than walkin'.

o

We have had this issue, secession I mean, with Quebec forever. From time to time it becomes a very heated, emotional debate involving serious decisions and consequences. It goes way beyond petitions.

These numb skulls have absolutely no idea what that would mean to them and to their State. Never mind the federal money lost to many of these States but there are small little issues like, currency, defense, security, Medicare etc.

o

Most like that are. Talking the talk is easy... walking the walk? Not so much.

o

Texas actually believes it is the vital center of the USA. They brag about it--and how the North would (deservedly) freeze to death without access to Texas oil. And all wealth originates in Texas. Businesses across the nation depend on Texas connections. And look at how dependent the Federal govt is on taxing Texas. Without Texas money, the federal govt. would utterly collapse.

I'm serious--I lived there for three long years (Oooooh, were they looooong!) and I heard statements like that all around me--at the drop of a hat, if a Texan gets mad about something going on in this nation, they haul out their Big Texas Talk--sure that the rest of the country is quivering in fear that Texas may actually follow through on it!

To be fair, I met a couple Texans who were cool, but Governor Ann Richards and comedian Molly Ivins passed on some years ago.

Kate

o

During the Repub debates Rick Perry may have demonstrated how dumb a Texan can present his intelligence or lack of intelligence but he is not a fool.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry does not stand behind a secession petition filed with the White House by a Lone Star State resident in the aftermath of the presidential election.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick

o

President Bush of Texas

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 13:53

They are free to go anytime, they can renounce their citizenship pretty easily.

But of course they won't, they really like it here, what will all the entitlements and "gifts" from the government.

o

The South shall rise again. Plenty of hot air -- maybe it could float away?

I hope y'all know I'm being silly -- sort of silly right back at the whole pompous idea. Silly...armed with a hatpin.

Besides, any 'gas' from The South can't match the gas in Congress whenever they have a chance to 'grill' some poor slob over A National Wrong -- then fail to penalize anyone over the rank of go-fer.

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 19:55

This seems like the appropriate place for this:

o

Yikes! When pres Obama is a former pres, no one will mind if I post a set of these with his face in place of Pres Bush? If anyone has an objection to that idea, better start posting their objections to the post above 'cause I'm saving the rest of this thread.

;D

o

mind if I post a set of these with his face in place of Pres Bush?

There are many disrespectful words and pics of the President and pics of the first lady's rear end. Why would you wait it has never stopped since 2008.

If you would like to see the links for reminders?

o

Sweeby, that was inappropriate & accomplishes nothing. Even I who is not & never has been a Bush supporter find that to be disrespectful.

o

I loved it sweeby. Where can I find it?

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 22:07

It certainly is disrespectful Bothell -- But Bush Jr. thoroughly destroyed the respect I gave him to start with.

October - I saw it today on a bulletin board and loved it so much I searched it out on line. To find it, I just Googled Bush and Chimp, and it was my first hit ;-)

I'm hoping to find the T-shirt ;-)

o

you guys do realize that number of Secessionist States is over 35

o

Where did you get that info, Cob? That's very surprising to me. I'm wondering what you mean. Do you mean that people in 35 states have signed a petition or what?

o

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to Texas, but the sun shines, the wind blows, water moves, and there are oil and gas deposits elsewhere in these United States. Central Illinois is taking on the look of a giant wind farm with the new construction of windmills everywhere. The route 39-51 corridor is loaded with giant sculptures that serve up clean energy... it's awesome!

o

During the 70's there was a "movement" for Martha's Vineyard island to secede from MA and the US (presumably). We used to be part of NY, so it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented. As well I believe parts of CA, OR, and WA have a long-running movement to secede and form a small nation together. Where I presume any President would have to be a pot-head, even if not native-born?

o

There is also a secession movement that crops up in Vermont every now and then. It's a tradition. It has also been a source of humor for some sitcoms.

o

Better they work out their hostility this way than with the "Sharon Angle 2nd Amendment nonsense"!

o

I swear... all the chemicals and poisons and whatnot the human race has loosed upon the planet must be doing something horribly odd to the brain chemicals/thought processes or chromosomes of some people... how else can some of what happens be explained in a halfassed rational way?

o

Wow! A Bush sighting! How novel. (How unwelcome.)

o

Hey, Key West has been the succeeded as the Conch Republic since 1982

It was in response to a U.S. Border Patrol blockade on highway U.S.1 at Florida City just to the north of the Florida Keys on April 23rd, 1982. This effectively isolated Keys Citizens from the U.S. mainland since the blockade was the only land artery to and from the mainland. This roadblock required Keys residents to prove their citizenship in order to drive onto the Florida mainland.

When a federal court upheld the blockade, at Mallory Square, Key West Mayor Wardlow made a proclamation of secession.

Each year now, Conch Republic Independence Day is celebrated by a pelting a local Coast Guard Cutter with fruit and vegetables

o

o

I certainly hope all Federal Property Remains Federal Property unless paid for with cold hard cash unlike the last time round!

o

pnbrown - the name Cascadia has been given to the secede movement and creation of an independent nation which would include British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and parts of Califoria. In order to belong you have to be a pot-smoking (optional), coffee drinking, granola eating, yoga-clothing wearing and gortex-raingear wearing member of society.

It rears it's fun little head when one of us gets ticked off with those power-mongers in the east.

o

We here in northern Wisconsin have tried to secede--not from the USA, but from Wisconsin and Michigan. Didn't go anywhere:

Superior (proposed U.S. state)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The proposed State of Superior (or State of Ontonagon) is the name of a "51st state" proposal involving the secession of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (U.P.) and possibly portions of northern Wisconsin from the states of Michigan, Wisconsin. The proposal is spurred by cultural differences, geographic separation, and the belief that the capitals in Lansing, Michigan, and Madison, Wisconsin ignore the problems of the "Superior Region." The same area had been referred to as a possible future state named Sylvania by Thomas Jefferson.[1] Named for Lake Superior, the idea has gained serious attention at times, though it is unlikely to ever come to fruition because of the large amount of funding that the area receives from the lower parts of the states, and because the stronger connections were cemented between the U.P. of Michigan and the rest of the Michigan by the completion of the Mackinac Bridge in 1957, which gave the Upper Peninsula a direct highway connection to the rest of Michigan.[editorializing]..."

o

They can't get over the fact that they lost the Civil War.

o

Hope it doesn't take them that long to get over the fact that their candidate lost the election this year.

Kate

o

most the states currently thinking of succession produce the most grain and the inhabitant own most guns.

o

They could call it Crackerland

o

That's witty. :(

Wikipedia has an article on:
Cracker (pejorative)Wikipedia cracker (plural crackers)

1.(US, pejorative, ethnic slur) An impoverished white person from the southeastern United States, originally associated with Georgia and parts of Florida; by extension: any white person.
[edit] Synonyms(whites): white trash, trailer trash, redneck, peckerwood, honky, (sometimes) crack head

o

Wow, cob, I am impressed. Grain-growing is a wholly-owned system of ADM, other international grain brokers, and US government-backed crop insurance systems.

o

Yes I read that before posting it Elvis see you do know how to research & look things up, refreshing!

o

"most the states currently thinking of succession produce the most grain and the inhabitant own most guns."

Do you mean states like IL, IA, MN, and OH who all voted for Obama? They are all top grain producers and unlikely to secede since they all voted Dem.

o

Better they work out their hostility this way...~Labrea.

Yes, this is venting, pure & simple. It is easy to say, very hard to do. (I want a divorce!) What a great way to be dramatic & get attention. In reality, it didn't work so well when it was tried before.

I guess if Obama had lost, many of us would be threatening to pack up our marbles & head to Canada. Still, that doesn't have quite the same ring to it as threatening to secede, given the blood that was shed when such a proposition was acted on in the 1860's, & the ensuing bleakness that lingered for years after the civil war.

o

Last time around

o

Wow this board is filled with obama trailer trash! I am waiting on California and Illinois to go broke should be fun to watch the ants run.

o

Welcome, sunshine.

o

lol Frank!

o

TWAILLAH TWASH ewwwww hooo hooo silly wabbit!

o

Wow this board is filled with obama trailer trash! I am waiting on California and Illinois to go broke should be fun to watch the ants run.

Sewww, r yew fur er agin?

-Ron-

o

The Great Cob contributes, the previously self-described and dictionary- defined Birther defensively defends. All the makings for an intelligent, serious, group discussion!

As an American citizen, those states belong to me, too, as well as to every other American.
I would expect, demand and support the govt. with all necessary actions taken to protect and defend the land belonging to ALL Americans in this country, from any attempt of state theft by any individual, group or organization.

I would expect, demand and support the full serving of the most stringent judicial consequences to any and all person, groups or organizations who took any single action which would define him/ them as an enemy of the State.

Which won't be necessary of course, because this is just a bunch of white noise blathering from a bunch of American born, inconsequential, ignorant, sore losers

Those people who wish to take those states and leave do not own those states in the first place, and would face serious problems from those fellow townspeople who are American citizens who choose to live in one of the United States, as well as a nation full of Americans who may laugh at these silly, powerless, public fools but - would step down and crush them in a second if the fools actually made any move of treason.

Which they won't, they are just a bunch of losers ( twice!) who like to swarm on the internet and make themselves feel like they have a real purpose...by signing a petition and then bragging about it with their internet peers. That is about all there is to them. Ohhhhhh.....scary!

Cob, it is Americans such as yourself who give gun owners a dreadful name, is an embarrassment to your fellow Americans, is the poster adult demonstrating the failure of our public school system and who the defining face of the American whining, sour faced, sore loser.
You are a silly and utterly insignificant anonymous person who provides as much entertainment on this board as you get when you come here with your gleeful contributions.

I agree to, and own the fact that I got personal, that my comments were unnecessary and that they did not further the effort of the discussion.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 15:01

OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE RESPONSE TO Peacefully grant the State of Louisiana to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government. and 8 other petitions

Our States Remain United
By Jon Carson

Thank you for using the White House's online petitions platform to participate in your government.

In a nation of 300 million people -- each with their own set of deeply-held beliefs -- democracy can be noisy and controversial. And that's a good thing. Free and open debate is what makes this country work, and many people around the world risk their lives every day for the liberties we often take for granted.

But as much as we value a healthy debate, we don't let that debate tear us apart.

Our founding fathers established the Constitution of the United States "in order to form a more perfect union" through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self-government. They enshrined in that document the right to change our national government through the power of the ballot -- a right that generations of Americans have fought to secure for all. But they did not provide a right to walk away from it. As President Abraham Lincoln explained in his first inaugural address in 1861, "in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these States is perpetual." In the years that followed, more than 600,000 Americans died in a long and bloody civil war that vindicated the principle that the Constitution establishes a permanent union between the States. And shortly after the Civil War ended, the Supreme Court confirmed that "[t]he Constitution, in all its provisions, looks to an indestructible Union composed of indestructible States."

Although the founders established a perpetual union, they also provided for a government that is, as President Lincoln would later describe it, "of the people, by the people, and for the people" -- all of the people. Participation in, and engagement with, government is the cornerstone of our democracy. And because every American who wants to participate deserves a government that is accessible and responsive, the Obama Administration has created a host of new tools and channels to connect concerned citizens with White House. In fact, one of the most exciting aspects of the We the People platform is a chance to engage directly with our most outspoken critics.

So let's be clear: No one disputes that our country faces big challenges, and the recent election followed a vigorous debate about how they should be addressed. As President Obama said the night he won re-election, "We may have battled fiercely, but it's only because we love this country deeply and we care so strongly about its future."

Whether it's figuring out how to strengthen our economy, reduce our deficit in a responsible way, or protect our country, we will need to work together -- and hear from one another -- in order to find the best way to move forward. I hope you'll take a few minutes to learn more about the President's ideasand share more of your own.

Jon Carson is Director of the Office of Public Engagement

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here