Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone one here Want to Join Them

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 11:22

The Secede crew are out gathering signatures if their not flying a flag their spitting on it with this crap!
Anyone on here care to join them? I'm serious!

Peacefully grant the State of Alabama to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government. Alabama 5,000 already!

Louisiana needed 11,000 by Dec 7 they already have 13,534

Texas already has 18,405

South Carolina 2,217 YADDA YADDAA YADDA!

WAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Secession BS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone one here Want to Join Them

It would be funny to see that after they completed their mission and realized the amount of money the North send to their states for their very survival they beg to take back their signatures.

If the Right does not get a handle on their crazies this country will not progress.

This is just stupid.

o

Bye , bye..

o

I think it's a GREAT idea.

o

The military/industrial/Congressional complex will never allow these secessional movements to succeed.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 12:04

This is a joke, right?

Agree Marshall ... we can't even hold a good old protest in this country with out the militarized police force coming in with "riot quelling gear".

Good luck y'all

o

I think with all those insurrectionist Bobby Jindal should call out the national guard. They say their peaceful but I mean how do we know for sure.
That's a politically violent act after an election and all (GAWWWWD I wish we could swap some citizenship, sort of like selling air rights!)

o

We go through this every once in a while with Quebec. Then the federal government throws more money at them to quiet them down.

We want Hawaii to secede to Canada. Please.

o

I'll trade you Bobby Jindal for almost anyone!!

o

Over my dead body my state would secede. But I'd gladly be willing to contribute to any program to ship the politically wacko radicals who want this to anywhere else in the world..or into space (return trip NOT included.

o

Tell me again how tolerant of diverse opinions you are? I don't condone hate (from either side, wait, top/bottom (what happened to the Midwest and California, for example. North/South only?)). I don't think it's even because it's Monday. Really? You're going to stand behind all the above comments? You'd tell me right to my Southern face? I'm ashamed of these comments.

o

I'd rather have Bobby Jindal than Rick Scott, mrsk.

rob: Why would anyone be tolerant of people who want to leave the US? This isn't simply a difference of opinion. It's unconstitutional and unpatriotic.

o

It might be unpatriotic and unconstitutional, but that doesn't give anyone the right to say such ugly things about any and all southerners. I'm fairly certain our very survival isn't based solely on "northern" money, for example. These things being stated are just unpatriotic towards your fellow countrymen. I'm fairly certain those idiots who signed don't represent all of us. Those are small numbers compared to actual residents.

o

No, I don't want Alabama to seceede unless there is an iron curtain along its border with my state. They would all be flocking to other states to receive the programs they purportedly want to repudiate! I wonder if the Mexican govt feels the same way about Texan secession, lol...

o

Oh I'ts only just started & states like new York & New Jersey have a couple of thousand signers so it's not just a Southern thing!
It's a whaaaaaambulance run!

o

Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 15:14

From the link:

We the People Petitions Filed in Nineteen States Seeking Permission to Secede from the Union

Petitions for secession filed from Louisiana and Texas have already received well over 10,000 signatures. Per the website's own rules, petitions that garner 25,000 signatures or more within 30 days require a response from the Obama administration.

Similar petitions from Alabama, Tennessee, and, interestingly, Oregon, are also gaining traction, with each receiving thousands of supporters over the weekend alone.

Other states in which residents have expressed an interest in going their own way include Kentucky, Montana, North Dakota, Mississippi, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, New York, New Jersey, Colorado, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Missouri.

o

Louisville, KY:

Don't leave me here! I'm from Boston!

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 11:35

It would be funny to see that after they completed their mission and realized the amount of money the North send to their states for their very survival they beg to take back their signatures.

No, the people that don't pull their weight would move to your state to get to "your" money.

o

Per the website's own rules, petitions that garner 25,000 signatures or more within 30 days require a response from the Obama administration.

Require a response? Really?

o

Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 15:21

People people people PLEASE read the link, this is NOT, I repeat this is NOT a north/south issue ... unless Oregon, New York, New Jersey etal have moved below the Mason Dixon without anyone noticing.

PULEESE put your humor on....

o

Certainly not regional but it can be a great new party game for the right. Lets start a STUPID petition!

o

First I've heard of it, interesting, but doesn't this probably happen after every election?

I love a good tantrum, amusing as long as it's not an actual kicking, screaming kid in my house. This one's right up there with, "I don't like you anymore and I don't want to play with you so I'm taking my ball and going home!"

o

And here, I'd thought we'd passed puberty and grown up as a nation... guess not all of it, huh? Only children have tantrums. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is ignore it.

The more attention given to tantrums, the worse they get.

o

"Require a response? Really?'

A nice (suitable for framing) form letter penned by an intern and signed with an autopen.

o

More like an email saying "it's unconstitutional so get over it".

o

That website that's collecting all those 'secession' petitions from various states (petitions.whitehouse.gov) is also the site that was leading the charge about Obama being born in Kenya. Whacko sites attract whackos. Maybe the numbers they state are true. Can never underestimate the number of whackos in this country.

-Ron-

o

If someone wants to leave, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!

o

Let's see...we have a national population in excess of 300,000,000, two thirds at least being adults (chronologically speaking). One percent of that is 2,000,000 adults. What percentage of the population is signing petitions to secede? A tenth of one percent at most. A landslide of votes, I am sure you will agree.

o

Have any of those petitioners calculated the cost of reimbursing DC for the cost of federally-funded infrastructure in their states?

o

Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 21:07

A landslide of votes, I am sure you will agree.

:)

o

Rob: "but that doesn't give anyone the right to say such ugly things about any and all southerners."

Rob's is right, IMO. That would be regional bigotry. Need I re-post the definition of "bigotry" again? We have rapant bigotry here on this forum,: religious, regional, political. The outrage seems to be about perceived racial bigotry; so far I've only seen that directed against people who are "not of color". Not being a victim of "white guilt" I find this extremely annoying, but never mind--that will get someone off on a tangent. Sorry.

Rob is right.

------------------

o

"(chronologically speaking)"

Snort!

o

Texas in the Lead!

o

Somebody messed with TX!

o

Well, you can now sign a petition to deport all the people who signed petitions to secede.

It is kinda fun how that big circle of life turns, and now its the wingnuts at the opposite end of the political spectrum we're telling: 'love it or leave it'.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Wait.

If Texas leaves...so will their Electoral College ergo, no Republican will get into the White House again, ever.

o

Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 12:37

Of course the "states" are not asking for secession, so the headlines on this are more than a little misleading.

It is kinda fun how that big circle of life turns, and now its the wingnuts at the opposite end of the political spectrum we're telling: 'love it or leave it'.

... :)

o

I see an opportunity here for mapmakers and atlas publishers to make a FORTUNE. Schools, homes, offices...think of the potential if they all had to be redone to account for the secession of these states!

o

I saw an interesting thought on the link, not that I agree or don't agree. But it's interesting:

"I can almost guarantee that if these states succeeded in seceding (nice!) there would be a mass exodus/brain drain of the more educated population to the north. Much of the wealth would also flee the South (despite whatever political/ideological convictions they may hold, the wealthy class would almost certainly choose the more stable [economically/politically speaking] nation if they had the choice)."

Saying things would be even more inequitable. More polarized. Sounds like a precursor to civil war. People never learn. Doomed to repeat it aint they?

o

I just see a bunch of yahoos lining up for free info mining!
Here I am here's my IP address and I'm not wearing a foil hat today!
Where are the brainiac's form Jersey going to go or Pennsylvania or Ohio or Michigan.
This is all a post election alright get it out fling some pooh at the walls before going back to your conspiracy blogs!
In the 60's they used to be the left!

o

I just signed the "Dump Trump" petition on moveon.org. LOL!

It's past 500,000 signatures now.

-Ron-

o

now that's a petition I could sign Ron. sounds dang good.

o

Eric Erickson, chief editor of RedStates.com, posted an editorial setting some boundaries aimed at birthers, secessionists, and other nutters. In the comments following, there were lots of voices in agreement and quite a few refusing to comply with this sort of self-censorship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red State web editorial

o

Thanks, Marshall.

I liked his closing remarks:

So let's add dabblers in this latest nuttiness to birthers as a category of people we do not welcome at RedState. Our aim is to beat the Democrats, not beat a retreat to a Confederacy that Generals Grant and Sherman rent asunder well over a hundred years ago.

Even here at RedState, while we may not much care for him, President Obama is still our President and we are still quite happily citizens of the United States. If we must drain this fever swamp that's taken hold of a few people on the right over this past week before we can drain the swamp in Washington, so be it.

o

Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 16:54

Well well well ... I was wrong "they do get it".

:)

o

Yeah, many on the Right do get it. I've been quietly browsing the internet caverns where True Believers and the nutter brethren hang out to gauge the range of opinions on why and how the Republican Party lost nationally. I don't trust the talking heads of the media nor all those "experts", just as I take with caution what pro-Republicans on HT say.

o

I am kinda vaguely remembering this thing called the Civil War that took place in the 1860s which settled the question as to whether a state could secede from the Union.

Apparently it has not dawned on the nut jobs in Texas that signed the petition just how fast the world's 15th largest economy would tank after Texas seceded from the United States. The nut jobs are taking it for granted that the thousands of companies headquartered and/or doing business in Texas would remain there once Texas is no longer part of the United States. The United States would probably make it extremely hard for companies located in Texas to do business within the United States and once that happens, those companies would exit Texas.

o

I think the signers of the petitions should be published county by county, state by state - on the internet as well as local papers.

Everyone else should have the right to know what these birther type of thinking dim wits want to do to everyone else who doesn't agree with them.

I would predict that these same Birther thinking type of dim wits talked about being the REAL Americans, the real, PATRIOTIC Americans who also loved sending endless e-mails about supporting our troops all wrapped up in the American flag, those Americans - rather than the regular ole' Americans who voted for that scaryobamaman.

Why am I not surprised to find that the Birthers of this nation are weaved into this new movement. As a matter of fact, I would have automatically assumed that they would be. These same people, like all those Birthers who suspected the President of not worthy of the office so they made up stuff to get rid of them -- these Birther thinkers have been the worst of all bad losers. They are an embarrassment of the very country they want to secede from. They aren't willing to leave it because they don't like it, they want to force everyone else in the state to go with them.

That's just how they roll and how they have been rolling since that scaryobamaman won the last election.

Were I Queen of the country, I would make them re-take a good Civics course and then make them join a T-ball team and pee-wee football team, fully participate in the practice sessions and games, all without any permission to speak.
Why?
Because all that stuff about learning how to be good winners and losers when in sports obviously didn't 'take'.
As Queen of the country I would send the seceders to time in a nice, long refresher course. They would have to shut up so they could listen and learn how to be good winners and good losers this time around.

That said, I vigorously support and defend every Birther type thinker the right to petition secession from the country as well as all the Birthers who spoke of believing in a whole host of reasons why their President wasn't perhaps worthy as a REAL American, thus supporting the demand for display of his birth certificate and then to respond by finding ignorant and stupid reasons why it wasn't a legal certificate.
I also equally defend the right for everyone else in the country to disagree with them as vocally and angrily and as laughingly and dismissively as they wish.

To say and then to have to endure reactions to such things as what Birthers were pronouncing are part of what our rights are as real Americans, and part of what makes it great.

o

They lost... okay... so what? Lose gracefully, and go back to the drawing board to sketch a new plan for next time. No big deal. Good sportsmanship is always in fashion.

But, no... and because they especially don't like who won the game, they want to pick up their toys and go home, never to return to the playground, ever again? Sounds kinda childish to me... and a lonely existence, as a relatively small nation that most likely won't be welcome to conduct commerce with its neighbors.

As noted following the previous election, the vitriol is a little bit over the top from some quarters, don't you think? I do.

Let's be real... if Romney would have taken the election, I would not have been exceptionally happy about it, but I still respect the office of President, and I still would have thought of him as my President, being a citizen. Sure, some of the things he said, and a lot of what he neglected to say, were a little bit... um... frightening... but still. I would have hoped for the best. What else could I have done... besides expressing my displeasure?

Threatening secession is a little bit nutty, to say the least. Some of the things people do in this country really make me wonder...

o

Okay, I signed the petition to deport the secession nuts. They better NOT mess with us! USA all the way!

o

Well I'm gratified so far that no one her want's to jump ship the HARD WAY!

o

Wait.
If Texas leaves...so will their Electoral College ergo, no Republican will get into the White House again, ever.

That Maddie-- no moss growin under HER!! LOL

o

I don't want to join them, but can I nominate some people to go with them?

o

LOL Bill.

They clearly didn't think this through, eh?

(shucks. shoulda kept my mouth shut)

o

Hey, all these guys fighting to get out and we here in DC are fighting to get in.

o

What kind of fighting to get in? Citizenship? If so, I admire you! I'll let you in! I have siblings who had to fight for citizenship and it's hard to do. It can be done, but they knew more about "America" than I did at the end of all the testing. It shamed me into learning more, good for them!

o

I would agree with Robin. After all, aren't we all immigrants... whether we, ourselves, obtained citizenship... or our parents, grandparents, or even THEIR parents came here... unless we're full blooded Native American... and I, for one, am not... our families came to these shores at some point in our nation's history.

And besides, there's a very wonderful inscription, a sonnet by Emma Lazarus on the pedestal that holds the Statue of Liberty... I admire it so much... the last few historic lines of which read:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That's not the entire sonnet, which is entitled "The New Colossus", but it's become a very significant part of our nation and its history.

That little bit of America, right there, makes me proud to be a citizen, glad I was born here, and glad that others can come here in search of new, different, or better lives.

I would also agree that the amount the average American knows about his or her own country is atrocious! I see big gaps in knowledge of history, geography, how our government runs, etc... I find myself looking up information from time to time... things I learned in school but have forgotten!

It's my opinion that as Americans, we, in general terms, have forgotten a lot... too much.

o

Who is complaining about legal immigration?

It's the ILLEGAL immigration and taxpayer money going to these criminals that has people upset.

It's especially unfair to immigrants who follow the rules and submit paperwork.

o

Lots of talk from senior Republicans about reaching out to the Latino community but providing immigration reform including a path to citizenship for illegals. That ought to ruffle a few conservative feathers in States like Texas and Arizona

o

Yea, who is complaining? It's why I was proud of my sibs and the poster demi. They're doing it right. Jodi agreed. I'm confused why you think someone is complaining?

Chase, I submitted a thought on that. Give them some sort of amnesty, while taxing them. Make it easier for them--make it easier for us. win-win!

o

What kind of fighting to get in? for DC... per the United States Constitution, the District is not part of any U.S. state and is instead overseen directly by the federal government.

DC's representation in Congress is limited to a non-voting delegate to the House of Representatives and a shadow Senator. In recent years, District residents have been seeking statehood to gain full voting rights. They have not been successful so far.

o

Methinks Kim was on about Washington, District of C. becoming a State.

o

Methinks you might be right per my post at 10:30.

Do you think we'll be challenged for reading between the lines? :-)

o

If that's what it is, it'll never happen. There is too much interested advice which comes from DC. I wish! It's not gonna happen.

Reading between the lines is ok as long as you don't expect any pushback when it's not clear enough to understand. I too, read between the lines. Both could be wrong. Who knows?

o

Ah Duluth didn't see you had already posted it (I need to re-fresh more often).

Do you think we'll be challenged for reading between the lines? :-)

Methinks, with some, we might be challenged for reading.

o

Actually, I have another thought. If PR is admitted, then DC can't be a tiebreaker anymore. Maybe they could get admitted finally. Wouldn't that be cool?

No one faulted anyone for reading. It's the lack of written communication. No one is mind-reading last I checked ;) ;) ;) But it's looking y'all can't read either. Try again!

o

Rob! Not you!
;)

Can someone explain the 'tiebreaker' thing to me, please?

o

;)

50 states, but add 1 to it and that gives the one way too much power. The "interested advice" could tip the balance their way every time.

Make sense? Have two and there would be an even split again, if something were to go down the middle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here