Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red/blue states traffic fatality divide

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 11:52

Another difference between red states and blue states? Yep, rate of traffic fatalities is highest in the red states and lowest in blue states, as determined by the recent election.

What reasons do you see for this?

Here is a link that might be useful: fatal traffic accidents

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red/blue states traffic fatality divide

More "blue-hairs" in the red states is my instant answer.

o

There are similar divides in education and poverty levels, too.

o

I have no idea, other than the suggested degree of regulation between freer societies of the Red States and the oppressed populations of the Blue States. For example, how many States have seatbelt laws and how well are they enforced?

o

the suggested degree of regulation between freer societies of the Red States and the oppressed populations of the Blue States.

Are there differentials in maximum speed limits? I seem to remember demands from some states to repeal the federal 55MPH limit established by President Nixon. If I remember correctly, statistics proved that besides conserving fuel, the 55MPH limit saved lives - better chances of surviving an auto crash at 55MPH than at 65MPH.

o

We need to break this down further - bumper stickers on the wrecked cars so we can break it down by who they vote for, and voter registration/license plate numbers.

o

We need to break this down further. In Ohio, which is thought to be a blue state (for electoral votes only), 73 of 88 counties are consistently red. The majority of the red counties have low unemployment, low crime and great schools. The blue counties almost always represent high crime, high unemployment and pathetic schools.

Just the facts.

o

The blue counties almost always represent high crime, high unemployment and pathetic schools.

Almost is the key word. What is the ratio of population of the red vs blue. 5 in one area that is all good as you project vs 5,000 and 20 bad within that 5,000 would make a difference.

o

Of all the people who eat carrots, all die (eventually). Therefore, carrots cause death.

o

Perhaps the blue states have more public transportation and fewer cars for wrecking.

o

Of all the people who eat carrots, all die (eventually). Therefore, carrots cause death.

Studies show 98% of people who have cancer have eaten tomatoes. Therefore, tomatoes cause cancer.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 13:41

I disagree with Rob and HG ... it is LIVER! Do not eat the liver, if someone puts it on your plate back slowly out of the room and run like the dickens !!

o

BS...if you handle drain cleaner in CA and haven't washed your hands, you're most likely to die of cancer.

o

But ohiomom, I was pointing out faulty logic. Yours is right on.

o

"Studies show 98% of people who have cancer have eaten tomatoes. Therefore, tomatoes cause cancer"

Another study found that, in fatal accidents, 80% of the victims had consumed tomato products within the 72 hours preceding their accidents.

We need to outlaw this scourge.

o

NOOOOOOOOOOO! If you outlaw tomato products, there would be no pizza (except the ones without tomato sauce which just aren't as good as real pizza, imo). What would the world be without the traditional pizza with tomato sauce and pepperoni?

o

Hey, outlawing the Red Menace will reduce pizza delivery my masses of speeding working poor, thus decreasing the death toll by accident but upping the survival rate and growing Obama voting population of illegal young non-whites of breeding age.

o

now that's some interesting logic marshall. Y'all have me fully guffawing. I appreciate that!

o

Knock on wood, we've never had a commercial driver, delivery driver, or service tech that have ever been involved in a fatal accident, although many have driven countless miles over the decades, not only on the job, but great distances to and from work during all sorts of bad winter weather.

As far as I know all of them eat tomatoes, plus many of them grow tomatoes. Coincidence? I think not!

o

Tomatoes save lives!

o

I'd follow up on skywatcher's suggestion about less public transportation contributing to this. Lots of big cities in the blue states. Poorer people may drive more older, less safe vehicles -- possibly on less safe roads.

More drug and alcohol use? (That IS a factor on Big Island of Hawaii, which has one of the highest rates of DUI traffic fatalities in the nation.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here