Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Southern Strategy worked

Posted by heri_cles 18 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 12:03

More and more whites voted for Romney/against Obama in 2012, but it just wasn't enough. Romney accomplished what he wanted, increasing the white vote and ignoring minorities.

From 2008 to 2012, President Obama's share of the white vote dropped,
among white men, from 41% in 2008 to 35% in 2012 and
among white women, from 46% to 42%.

Regional results according to race are startling.
The percentage of whites who voted for Romney/against Obama in the deep South should give one pause. In Alabama , Mississippi, and in Louisiana, where some of this forum's leading Obama detractors reside, almost 9 out of 10 white voters cast their votes against President Obama/ for Romney.

Here is a link that might be useful: Race and the 2012 Election

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Southern Strategy worked

But you know, heri, I could have guessed, quite accurately at that!--at those figures, based on past Republican/white/southern "performance."

Always good to have my "guesses" confirmed by the facts, however.

Yes, they have finally nearly perfected the "southern strategy." Took them long enough, but they are nearly there.

Of course, they lost the presidency along the way, didn't they.

Can't help it--that makes me smile. : )

Kate

o

It's a strategy they, the GOP, have been cultivating for decades.

o

Now if we can finish the secede process and give them their wish... we will be a much more profitable country since they receive more government funds than they contribute.

o

What I don't understand is that in forming policies for the Southern Strategy - an area not particularly rich in electoral college votes - the GOP risks losing voters in the swing states. No GOP candidate can be elected president based on the electoral votes available from the Confederacy states.

To counter this, we see the GOP reaching out to whites in non-Confederacy states - the narrative of Muslim, sharia, Kenyan, not-one-of us, "illegals" stealing your job - to cultivate the mindset outside of its geographical base... and still failing in the delegate-rich states.

Changing U.S. demographics will eventually render today's GOP obsolete.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 12:55

Well, since there will be fewer and fewer white men and women, it won't work in the future.

o

One could argue that the Southern Strategy didn't work...it backfired big time.

o

If the strategy was to win the southern white vote, it worked.

If the strategy was to win the Presidency...fail...big time.

That problem they have with math keeps cropping up, doesn't it. I guess they couldn't add up the electoral college votes in those states and realize it wouldn't give them a win.

I'm with Kate. Can't stop smiling.

o

I'm with Kate. Can't stop smiling.

and a Chuckle.

o

Wow who knew there were so many fiscal conservatives! LOL

o

If the strategy was to win the southern white vote, it worked.

The strategy was to increase the percentage of white voters and that worked in many States, not just in the Southern States.

"How could Mr. Romney have won this election? Because there are still seven times as many white as Hispanic voters, Mr. Romney would have earned much higher dividends courting the white vote than by increasing his Hispanic share. If Mr. Romney had won just 1.5 percent more of the white vote, he would have carried the popular vote, a feat that would have required an 11 percent increase in his share of the Hispanic vote.

Mr. Romney only needed to increase his share of the white vote in key swing states by a few percentage points to win"

Romney has stated that he believes that he lost because of minority voter turn-out. His campaign believed that young people and minorities would not turn out in high numbers to vote, and they were proven wrong.

o

Here is a link to a chart showing the religious affiliations of different voting age groups and the percentages of each won by the two candidates. The Republicans ought to be paying attention to the young and to the non-white religious vote.

Here is a link that might be useful: The End of the White Christian Strategy

o

It is hard to sell the Republican message in the religious world. You have to start with the fundamental ideal of Christianity is love even your enemy.

When you have a message of voting against someone because of hate poor, hate just to hate you separate yourself from the true Christian world.

A good example was the Food Stamp President campaign. They thought that was a place to cause concern. The first thing as a true Christian is you feed the poor. You do not hate the poor for needing food stamps or the President for feeding the poor.

There were so many of those non-Christian ideas as something they thought as a negative that did not fit how you live your life as a Christian.

Think about it Christians do food basket, toy drives, collect funds, clothing for the poor. How can you use a Me, Myself, and I policy and expect a Christian to jump on a Satanic barn burning hayride? "I built this", "My money", etc.

If you followed the Nuns on the bus they lead you to the Democratic Convention where they spoke of love. If you followed the empty chair it lead you to the Republican Convention with empty non-Christian value speech.

o

How can you use a Me, Myself, and I policy and expect a Christian to jump on a Satanic barn burning hayride?

Yet so many self-proclaimed Christians here jumped right on for the ride. Luckily for the rest of us, the ride ended in a train wreck.

o

Because the sane majority is exactly that.

o

You'll have to explain this to a dumb Canadian but, why would you be proud of the fact that you increased white vote but ignored minorities. All of those minorities, when added up together, are beginning to add up to a big number. Is it hatred, ignorance, fear of upsetting their beloved status quo, just what is the problem as they see it. I'm assuming that there are minorities in the Republican party, no?

And why would you belittle and be critical of a president who sees this changing face of America and addresses it and includes them. I'm assuming that if they are voting that they are American citizens or does Romney truly believe that they are "illegal aliens" all of whom managed to finagle their way through the system and vote illegally.

The Romney/Republican tirade and excuses for losing really are getting tiresome.

o

Oh, but, blfenton, you are using logic. Something that has escaped the GOP for quite some time now.

They are just shocked by the changing demographics. Old habits of being critical and dismissive of minorities die hard.

We see it here everyday. Anyone spanish speaking is illegal and taking their money. Anyone who has less than them or needs a little help is just lazy and doesn't deserve help if it involves their money. On and on and on.

o

I hate to bust everyone's bubble, but the Mountain/Plains states are whiter and far, far more conservative than the South. The only difference is that this region is less populous, so it doesn't seem to get as much air time. Also, there are less minorities in this region so it doesn't quite get the stigma of racial discrimination that the South does.

-Ron-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here