Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worst Congress Ever!

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 12:03

Republicans are pondering canceling some of the remaining days in their session because they cant come up with anything to do now that their efforts to defund ObamaCare, shut down the government and take us to the brink of default have failed. Its not as if Speaker Boehner would actually allow a vote on real legislation, after all.

Politico reported:

For the first time in months, House Republicans are facing no immediate cataclysmic deadlines, and GOP leaders are struggling to come up with an agenda to fill the 19 legislative days that are left in 2013.

Need evidence? The House votes Monday evening and will finish its work week Wednesday. After that, the House is out of session until Nov. 12. Internally, Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and senior Republicans arent discussing coming back early from the scheduled recess, but instead, they are wondering if theyll cancel some of the remaining days in session.
House Republicans are refusing to vote on immigration reform. They have been refusing to vote on a real jobs bills for years. The list of things that House Republicans wont vote on is longer than the list of things that they have voted on. If Boehner and Cantor cant hold a vote against the ACA, they dont know what to do with themselves.

House Republicans would rather cancel work days than vote on anything.
This shouldnt be a surprise. The Republican-led House has set records for working fewer days and passing the least amount of legislation. In December of 2012, we reported that even though House Republicans are going to be in session for only 126 days in 2013, they are still demanding their full $174,000 salary.

With that salary, House Republicans have wasted taxpayer money on pretend ObamaCare repeal votes, witch hunts over scandals they made up and fed to the press with lies, they wasted 24 billion on their government shutdown, and now theyre wasting more money on glitch hunts. They are not passing any actual legislation, however, which is their actual job.

In July, we reported that this 113th Congress was historically lazy, having passed only 16 legislative items in six months. The 112th Congress set another historic low of 23 legislative items passed by the same time of year. "They made history as the most unproductive session since the 1940s (records only go back to 1947) for passing only 220 laws. For perspective, President Harry Truman labeled his Congress the "Do-Nothing Congress" for passing just 906 laws."

Before Republicans took over the House, we had the same level of movement in Congress as prior to Obama taking office. USA Today explained, "When Democrats controlled both chambers during the 111th Congress, 258 laws were enacted in 2010 and 125 in 2009, including President Obamas health care law."

YUP!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worst Congress Ever!

Yes, those are the guys we want to re-elect. NOT. Losers.

o

Just think, the administration could have used that taxpayer money to bomb Syria.

o

Yes, I would agree with those who often lament govt waste and fraud and how that is bankrupting our nation. And as prime example, I would cite the salaries paid to the current Congress which does nothing but try to pass (again and again and again) pointless bills that they know don't have a snowball's chance in he!! of making it through the legislative process and then takes off early on an EXTENDED vacation so that they won't have to pass any bills that could make it through the legislative process.

Yes--Congressional salaries are currently prime examples of waste and fraud!

Kate

o

Isn't there a post office somewhere they can rename after Ronald Reagan?

o

Even that might be too heavy a load for the few remaining hours, half days, etc. left in the legislative session.

o

This is what they mean when they say government is bad? Do they suck at it so they can fulfill that promise?

The president handled Syria very well, thank goodness
McCain/Palin wasn't in office.

o

the president handled Syria very well???? what you been reading?? What else has he handled well, in your opinion?

o

McCain/Palin wasn't in office.

Neither was Mitt Romney with his gaggle of neoconservative foreign policy advisers -- the same people who would love to see the talks with Iran fail.

If I understand the legislative process correctly, more is shut down than votes. The work of the committees does not take place, legislation is not introduced, nor making its way through the process, oversight does not take place. So in addition to no votes, there is also no new legislation being developed, and any proposed legislation is stopped in its tracks.

Thanks, Speaker Boehner!

o

Ff, Syria is dismantling their chemical weapons.

Romney....yes! Have Palin on brain since she is doing the rounds and just so terrifying she could have been a heartbeat away from the presidency.

o

Congress is going to make the liar fix his lies about ACA.

o

I don't think he knew he was lying. He sure doesn't seem to know much about much, and he freely admits it. How many times can he say"I didn't know". am confidant this guy is not running things, he is nuthin more than a puppet.

o

Back to the subject at hand......nice try, ff. Why are you not screaming about the waste of nonsensical "work" your leaders in Congress have been doing, and the money therefore wasted?

o

Sometimes I think it's better when those congressional azzhats stay away. If they are not working, then they probably won't be causing any trouble.

o

I agree. They came close to bankrupting the country twice by not allowing the US to pay its bills, at a significant loss to most of us in the form of higher interest rates. Vote them out, don't keep them in.

Even Totes is having trouble in the economy they have harmed; it will be closing its outlet stores soon and switching to internet only.

o

Notice the Righties had nothing to say when the teabaggers shut down the government and cost us taxpayers 24 billion dollars?

o

24 billion $? Really? Prove it.

The Obama (war of necessity) in Afghanistan is costing us $2 billion a week.

Any comment on that? Or have you forgotten our troops are still there?

The slaughter of Libyan citizens and destruction of their country cost us over $1 billion. Any concerns?

o

24 billion? Even Huff Post doesn't make that claim. They say somewhere between 2 and 6 billion. Of that, 2 billion was pay for those employees who were furloughed. If they had all been on vacation they would have still received that pay. Obama has added 6 trillion to the debt. Shutting down government for good sounds like a better plan.

o

"Sometimes I think it's better when those congressional azzhats stay away. If they are not working, then they probably won't be causing any trouble.

The less our government does, the better.

Send them all home for a nice long Holiday.

Hay

o

According to Standard and Poors the figure is at least 24 billion.

And yes we hate the troops in Afghanistan and dont count the cost?

Idiotic.

o

These threads are getting uglier and uglier and this is not even the Political Season.

o

I think, Marshallz, that there's an overwhelming fear that the guy sitting in the Oval Office... that "other" guy, not like the rest... will actually end his terms on a positive note having accomplished some good for the nation.

There has never been this level of negative anything directed toward a Democratic President before... which leads me, and quite a few others, toward a very sad conclusion... seeing as this is the 21st century of supposed civilized society and a certain enlightenment.

o

From the OP:

"Politico reported:

For the first time in months, House Republicans are facing no immediate cataclysmic deadlines, and GOP leaders are struggling to come up with an agenda to fill the 19 legislative days that are left in 2013."

I saw that piece on a site called "Politics USA: Real Liberal Politics." Nice bipartisan site.

I've attached a link to the House 2013 calendar. The 2013 Senate calendar does not seem to be available. If someone can post it, that would be nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 House Calendar

o

•Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 20:33

I think, Marshallz, that there's an overwhelming fear that the guy sitting in the Oval Office... that "other" guy, not like the rest... will actually end his terms on a positive note having accomplished some good for the nation. "

No. No one is worried that that could happen. It can't.

o

I think, Marshallz, that there's an overwhelming fear that the guy sitting in the Oval Office... that "other" guy, not like the rest...

The last gasp of a liberal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here