Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2020 -- USA the top petroleum producer

Posted by marshallz10 z9-10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 12:04

The USA is projected to be the world's largest petroleum producer by 2020. We are already in second place and might be the largest exporter of energy already.

Drill, Baby, DRILL, mother...s!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. To Become World's Largest Oil Producer, Exceeding Saudi Arabia, By 2020

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2020 -- USA the top petroleum producer

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 12:06

Yes frack it ... what's a few earthquakes, poisoned water and environmental waste in the scheme of things when the "bottom line" rules?

SMH

o

Look at that Jump to 2014!
GEEZ with all that oil a-pumpin will gasoline prices come down or will we be exporting it all to China.
Maybe we could build 2 more refineries by then!

o

From Marshall's link:

"Taking all new developments and policies into account, the world is still failing to put the global energy system onto a more sustainable path," the IEA said."

There's a surprise, huh? The world doesn't seem to know what it's doing. Anyway, even if the US were to become a net exporter of fossil fuels, it does't change the reality that high-grade crude petroleum passed peak world production a few years back.

o

My source says 2017. And I thought and believed we were searching for alternate sources of energy dependency.

Oh well. I guess I'll go out and buy that new gasoline powered car.

Did you know that over 460 million gallons of refined fuel was burned in Pakistan, prior to reaching the Afghanistan border?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 13:57

Brush we are still "talking bout" alternative energy, I mean it started in the 70's what is the rush :)

o

2020... the projected tipping point from whence there is no return from the perils of global warming... interesting.

o

Sorry, I just double posted this. Pay no attention to my post.

o

Myths aside and industry attemot to unseat him according to recent bloomberg article

"Obama has made more acreage available to energy companies than any president since Ronald Reagan, and more drilling is taking place on federal land than at any time in history"
He started off one way & well actions speak louder than words.! However I do believe those subsidies are gone the way of The Dinosaurs! There are taxes coming & those companies will pass along those taxes.
There's also a wait & see will the war on coal come to pass & will it be a boon for T Boone Pickens & all the other frackers!

o

You would think with the lengthy mystical gasoline price posts there would be some slight interest from the crickets NAHHHH!

o

You know what I find mysterious is what with supposedly every square foot of NA having been exhaustively searched by petroleum-company geologists, how is it that suddenly there is all this natural gas? Was most of it simply being burnt off from wells when it wasn't worth bothering with?

o

It wasn't considered commercially worth while but the shale gas in NY state was known about in the mid 1800's and has been drilled in the Appalachians on and off for years.
When you had the crowd predicting $200 oil a few years back & marketers like T Boon Pickens going at it then The Appalachian Basin becomes (exicting?) profitable.

o

And meanwhile, Centralia still burns ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Centralia PA

o

Was most of it simply being burnt off from wells when it wasn't worth bothering with?

Yes, in the past, and you still see places, eg the Niger Delta, where they flare off the gas - you can see the Nigerian flares from outer space - they burn off enough to supply all of Western Europe.

What they're doing now is going after "tight gas" which is bound up in the shale. So they pump down 10's of thousands of gallons of water, sharp sand, and chemicals under incredible pressures and "frack" the shale, allowing the gas to escape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nigerian gas flares. They aren't very happy

o

America becoming self-sufficient in fuel will change the entire military and political balance of the World. No more need to protect Middle Eastern supplies with big threats and little wars. Military concentration will continue to shift toward Asia.

Sorry, but these considerations will outweigh any ecological or environmental concerns.

Best wishes
Jon

o

The US will not become self-sufficient in fuel just because it becomes the world's largest producer. We are not building enough refineries but continue to trade crude oil and LNGas in exchange for refined products. The price of these fuels is set in part elsewhere in the world, prices controlled by demand and reaction to levels of risk in the flow of these natural resources.

You are right, Jon, about shorting ecological and environmental concerns.

o

Why is Keystone XL necessary if we are a world leader in oil production?

I'd like to see Canada build their own pipeline.

o

Psst, Heri, we don't necessarily need it but "jobs jobs jobs", especially hairdressers in the vast wastelands of Nebraska and other Red States of the high plains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here