Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ten worst insurance companies

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 12:10

Bit dated, but in this day of exalting the private, for-profit insurance companies up there on some ivory pedestal where they can never, ever, do anything wrong because it's all Obama's fault, a short reminder of what we're dealing with here:

8. UnitedHealth
CEO: Stephen J Hemsley
2007 compensation $13.2 million
HQ: Minnetonka, MN Profits: $4.7 billion (2007) Assets: $53.5 billion

UnitedHealth is plagued by accusations that its greed has endangered patients. Physicians report that reimbursement rates are so low and delayed by the company that patient health is compromised. Money that should have been spent on medical treatment for policyholders has instead gone to the company's former CEO, who faced criminal and civil charges for backdating stock options. UnitedHealth has also used its association with AARP to jack up premiums on products aimed at sen- iors, even though they are no better than their cheaper counterparts.

9. Torchmark
CEO: Mark S. McAndrew
2007 compensation $4.7 million
HQ: McKinney, Texas Profits: $527.5 million (2007) Assets: $15.2 billion157
Founded, by its own admission, as little more than a scam, Torchmark has preyed upon low-income Southerners for over 100 years. Torchmark is the holding company for a variety of subsidiaries offering low cost burial insurance, cancer insurance, life insurance, and similar policies. The company has come under fire for a variety of transgressions, including charging minority policyholders more than whites.

10. Liberty Mutual
CEO: Edmund F. (Ted) Kelly
2005 compensation $27 million
HQ: Boston, MA Profits: $1.5 billion (2007) Assets: $94.7 billion

Like Allstate and State Farm, Liberty Mutual hired con- sulting giant McKinsey & Co. and adopted deny, delay, and defend tactics. The company has also gone one further than simple claims-handling abuses by indulging in what regulators allege is systematic bid-rigging.

Here is a link that might be useful: .pdf with great details

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ten worst insurance companies

We should be so concerned about our government corruption since the government supposedly works for the people. Insurance companies are for profit entities, governed by state and federal laws.

Why are crooked companies still in business? Crooked politicians.

o

Why are crooked companies still in business? Crooked politicians.

Finally we agree!

o

From an insurance complaint site:

"Our coverage with United Healthcare is through my husband's employer the State of Texas. I can't believe what we've gone through trying to get them to pay our claims for doctor visits. Multiple phone calls during which we are assured that they will "fix things" but no one ever does. So you're forced to pay the doctors' bills yourself just so you can continue to have medical care.I've had to deal with a number of insurance companies over the course of our lives and United is absolutely the worst."

Commented on 2013-08-07 19:10:12 EST
"Did not advertise how incredibly high they raised copays and deductibles in second year. Locked into their pharmacy which refuses to release drug that keeps me walking until I meet not only my deductibles but my family plan deductible. Turning them into Attorney General and Pharmacy boards today- looking for attorney as well."

Commented on 2013-07-02 12:56:34 EST
"Complain to them often. Tell all your friends and associates that united healthcare is the absolute worst insurance company on the planet."

Commented on 2013-06-13 20:02:54 EST
"I have Type 1 Diabetes for 41 years. This medical insurance repeatedly gives me names of Durable Medicine Companies and they either ask me to pay 3 times more a month for insulin pump supplies and CGM sensors. And I give my life history to these companies to find 3-7 days later they no longer accept UNITED HEALTH CARE and or keep asking to fax more information daily."

Commented on 2013-06-01 16:25:08 EST
"They own their own personal mail order pharmacy which may give you lower co-pays but also bugs you with unwanted phone call. OptumRx also hi-jacks local prescriptions and loses records. At the very least as long as you are willing to pay higher co-pays you are "allowed" to use local pharmacies. United Healthcare pushes their mail order pharmacy and has a problem with solving simple billing problems."

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I will have United Health Care for 2 more months on Cobra the I am free of them! They weren't my worst experience but they weren't a barrel of laughs either.
One asthma inhaler co pay was $50 you can buy it on the net for $36.

o

Scams, collusion, CEO's and politicos crooked so's to be screwed in the ground.

It has to stop, and it will, because they have just about broken the commonwealth.

o

I will have United Health Care for 2 more months on Cobra the I am free of them!

Me too! I have them at work and I finally decided to go on Medicare because my doctors no longer want to deal with them. A consortium of doctors even took out a full page ad in the local newspaper complaining about them!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 17:23

Sarah Palin was right! There are Death Panels!
....at least 10 of them...

o

"I have Blue Cross health insurance through my work. When I had my routine colonoscopy done, Blue Cross sent me a letter a few days later to tell me that they were not going to pay for the anesthesia on colonoscopies anymore.

According to the letter, anesthesia is "not medically necessary" for a colonoscopy.

I'd like to see the CEO and executives of Blue Cross have a colonoscopy done without anesthesia. Then maybe they wouldn't make such ridiculous claims."

-- Bob, Pasadena

"I can't afford my healthcare because Blue Cross says cancer isn't a "catastrophic illness."

When I was younger, healthy and rarely needed medical care, I purchased a Blue Cross Basic PPO policy so I would at least be covered for catastrophic conditions. The plan had a $3,500 deductible, but I thought it would be better to at least some insurance, rather than nothing at all.

Then I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer.

I thought Blue Cross would be paying 80% of the remaining costs of my cancer treatment because I had already met my deductible for that year.

I was informed that breast cancer was not covered under my policy because it wasn't a "catastrophic illness." Blue Cross would not be paying for any exams, lab tests, prescriptions or treatments.

Silly, SILLY me to think cancer would be considered a catastrophic illness.

Fortunately, a friend of mine referred me to a state program through Medi-Cal that treated women with breast and cervical cancer. If she hadn't, I would be penniless.

Since the program ended, I'm back on my own trying to pay for my medical costs. Right now I've got $12,000 bill and mounting credit card debt.

I've asked Blue Cross if I can upgrade my plan to cover the more routine things so I don't have to pay so much out of pocket, but they turned me down. They told me that I would have to wait 5 years after I finished my post-cancer treatments before I could apply.

Those treatments take 5 years to complete, and if I have to wait 5 years on top of that, I'm looking at 10 years before I can change my policy. I'm already putting off treatments because of the cost and I just hope my cancer doesn’t come back."

-- Susan, Altadena

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ohhh, that is one painful page of complaints to read. Me, myself and I have suffered for years from false information about a cancer killing my paternal grandfather; he actually died from pneumonia contracted in a local hospital while having a hernia operation.

o

Some people seem to have forgotten that the public's anger and frustration with health insurance companies are what caused the Democrats and Republicans to make reform an issue in the 2008 presidential campaign.

Anthem Blue Cross Settles Lawsuit Involving 120K Policyholders

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Anthem Blue Cross has agreed to settle a lawsuit that accused the health insurer of manipulating policies and forcing California patients into higher deductible policies with fewer benefits.

The case was brought by Santa Monica-based Consumer Watchdog and several law firms in 2010 after the state’s largest for-profit insurer closed policies for about 122,000 policyholders in 2009.

Worried about the government dictating your medical choices? Once again, Blue Cross leads the way!

California Hospitals Sue Blue Cross, Lawsuit Charges Insurer With Illegally Influencing Medical Decisions

SACRAMENTO, Calif., June 8 /PRNewswire/ -- The California Hospital Association (CHA) today filed a lawsuit against Blue Cross of California which charges that a new payment policy by the health plan will illegally interfere with a doctor's ability to make medical decisions based on the best interest of patients.

The lawsuit, which was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, contends that Blue Cross is violating state law by inducing doctors to make medical decisions based on financial considerations rather than their best clinical judgment.

California policyholders file class action lawsuit against health insurer Anthem Blue Cross

Three health insurance policyholders recently filed a putative state-wide class action lawsuit against Anthem Blue Cross (“Anthem”) in California state court, claiming that the insurer breached certain individual plan contracts when, in the middle of the plan year, it “unilaterally and dramatically” increased plan deductibles, premiums and out-of-pocket maximums. The complaint, filed on November 14, 2011 in Los Angeles County Superior Court, also alleges that Anthem breached the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and violated certain California health and safety and consumer protection laws.

June 2013 $6 Million Settlement in California Insurance Lawsuit

Los Angeles, CA: The Los Angeles City Attorney announced a settlement in a California Insurance lawsuit filed against Anthem Blue Cross. The California insurance law claim alleged the insurance company illegally canceled coverage for more than 6,000 policyholders.

According to The Associated Press (6/20/13), the lawsuit was filed in 2008 and initially sought more than $1 billion from Anthem Blue Cross. The Los Angeles City Attorney at the time, Rocky Delgadillo, alleged in the lawsuit that Anthem Blue Cross was involved in false advertising and fraud. The insurer was accused of illegally canceling policies for people who were diagnosed with serious medical conditions, such as cancer, that often come with high medical costs.

Back in 2008, the Los Angeles Times (4/17/08) reported on one patient who had her coverage canceled after she had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer. She was told her coverage was canceled because she did not inform the company that she had breast cancer 11 years prior, even though the application only asked for 10 years of medical information and she was told by an agent she did not have to include that information.

Delgaldillo’s lawsuit alleged that Anthem Blue Cross used secret internal units to identify and target policyholders who became ill. Furthermore, the lawsuit alleged 500,000 consumers were tricked into buying ultimately worthless insurance policies because of the company’s false advertising.

Nov 4 2013 Anthem Blue Cross is sued over policy cancellations

For those worried that your personal information will not be secure with healthcare.gov, be warned that Anthem Blue Cross has already been there.

Anthem Blue Cross settles data breach lawsuit in California

03 October 2012 -- California insurance company Anthem Blue Cross has settled a lawsuit brought by the State of California over a data breach brought around by a lack of appropriate information data security processes at the insurer.

o

Talk about 'death panels'…..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here