Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 12:17

I remember the postings of "go kids go", during the Arab Spring. I asked then, what happens if the Muslim Brotherhood steps in. Now we know. I was listening to an Egyptian businessman being interviewed this morning. He said Mubarek was bad, but the Muslim Brotherhood was a thousand times worse. That they intend to turn Egypt into Iran. What a shame.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Be careful what you wish for.

If we need another regime change in Egypt, I know who to call. :)

o

The kids are still out there, now protesting the moves the Muslim Brotherhood's guy Mursi just made.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I remember the postings of "go kids go", during the Arab Spring. I asked then, what happens if the Muslim Brotherhood steps in.

So you are saying that the protests of the youth led to the Muslim Brotherhood intervention? One caused the other?

o

I remember some saying the Muslim Brotherhood were moderates, would go for democracy, would be better than Mubarek. What made them think that?

o

I never thought them moderates no did i ever think that any of those cautioning against regime change had any other solution other then sucking their teeth!
Where should they go from her over throw Morsi & install a military junta. That may be in the offing he ruffled a lot of feathers in the military!

o

Maybe 1 or 2 posters were agreeing with that viewpoint, mrsk, but my memory is that most of the HT posters were NOT agreeing with that viewpoint.

Odd that you picked a decidedly small minority view and jab at it as though it represented a large group of HT posters. Spoiling for a fight?

Sorry, but I'm still too lazy from my overfill of turkey and dressing. : )

Kate

o

The ousting of Mubark and the election of Mursi are totally separate events.

The "kids" were responsible for starting a movement towards democracy by removing a terrible dictator.

That was followed by free elections and the people , not just the kids, elected who they wished to represent them. That's how democracy works.

It will take time to evolve into what the people want for their
government but it is their choice and what they wish for that counts, not ours

o

I said "some" Kate. So who is trying to pick a fight?

chase, we send billions each year in aid to Egypt, because of our own wishes for the direction the country should take. Admittedly we can cut off that aid and wait and see who fills the vacuum.

o

o thank god. I thought this was going to be a sideways shimmy into Benghazi Part IV.

o

The US has always sent boat loads of money to Egypt.....not sure what you're point is.

o

I thought this was going to be a sideways shimmy into Benghazi Part IV.

No, it's the prequel.

I remember the postings of "go kids go"

What would you have preferred the slaughter of the tens of thousands of demonstrators in Tahrir Square -- because that is what it would have taken to put down the anti-Mubarak protests.

That was followed by free elections and the people, not just the kids, elected who they wished to represent them.

Only allow democratic elections when the U.S.-favored candidate is assured to win?

Admittedly we can cut off that aid and wait and see who fills the vacuum.

And the usual suspects will scream at President Obama's incompetence in foreign policy if Russia or China steps in to fill the void.

MsK, what do you think of our supposed ally, Saudi Arabia, funding Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood (and Salafis)?

o

Yes nancy, the people did have a free election, but do you think they got what they bargained for?

And I think you said it best when you said "supposed" ally.

o

but do you think they got what they bargained for?

That's for the Egyptian people to decide. I'll let you come to your own conclusions from the reports of protests and counter-demonstrations that have been occuring.

Brotherhood's Shura Council chairman criticises Morsi declaration

Ahmed Fahmi, chairman of the Islamist-dominated Shura Council (the upper, consultative house of Egypt's parliament), seized on Thursday's council session to criticise the constitutional declaration issued by President Mohamed Morsi on 22 November.

"We had hopes that President Morsi would put the constitutional declaration before a national referendum," Fahmi said. He also argued that the declaration "has severely divided the nation into Islamists and civilians." Fahmi urged Morsi to conduct a national dialogue with all forces to put an end to the crisis triggered by the declaration.

Fahmi's comments came as a surprise to many, given that not only is the chairman of the Shura Council a leading member of the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) -- the political arm of Muslim Brotherhood from which Morsi hails -- but he is also a relative of Morsi himself.

o

It was an effort at democracy. The people elected him. God knows, we elected Bush twice.

Wait. Actually, no, we did not elect him the first time. What happened there? Hmmmmm.

o

We have free elections too, but that doesn't mean we get the best candidate for president. Unfortunately our citizens don't have the balls to start a revolution.

o

This may be an opportunity for something closer to a true Democracy to come.
Sharia light has been waiting in the wings for awhile!

"Unfortunately our citizens don't have the balls to start a revolution."
Start your own we can read and argue about your trial!

o

Being corrected of one's colored memories = Picking a fight.

-Ron-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here