Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearing Problems Again

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 12:34

There was that crew who ran in the primaries that were told a by a deity that they were it & they should run...something must have been lost in translation.
Pat Robertson heard Romney would win went on the air with it, must have been lost in translation!
I might I suggest he has been listening to himself for years & he has kept bad company!

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlatans

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hearing Problems Again

Hmmmm...do you think perhaps you misinterpreted a lot of things you claim god told you? Maybe? Idiot.

o

Maybe Pat misinterpreted God who actually declared himself to be a democrat.

o

Or... maybe all these people hearing voices in their heads should seek medical or psychological help...

o

Money grubbing old sack of crap!

o

Or... maybe all these people hearing voices in their heads should seek medical or psychological help...

BINGO!

o

But how many years of therapy would Robertson (or his ilk) need to be able to admit that simply faking it was just such a darned good scam?

o

"But how many years of therapy would Robertson (or his ilk) need to be able to admit that simply faking it was just such a darned good scam?"

Faking what? And what was the scam--Robertson was faking something in order to cheat people out of money?

Seriously. I thought he was a preacher-type political guy.

o

I once asked an aunt who was a devote Catholic why she not only listed to Pat R. and other media preachers but also sent him and the others money. She replied in various ways, the gist of which was that "they were doing good works for the Lord." When I asked for some examples of good works, thinking for sure there was a foreign mission or urban ghetto mission. Nope, just praising the Lord and bringing souls to Christ and representing Christian values in public places (code for political favorites).

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 9:32

These guys could be just as easily be fooled by Satan, you'd think they would wake up to that possibility, esp since the conveyed info is most often wrong or deceptive.....it could be just as possible as the other assumed source. Don't they ever ask themselves "Why is God so wrong? Why does He make me look like an old fool? Maybe He's not all knowing after all? or Maybe I'm just going crazy?"

...or, "this is a heck of a way to make a living".

o

Veggie, you speak in a circular fashion here. Out with it. What do you really mean to say?

o

All of the TV evangelists have no other desire than to fleece the flocks for all the money they can get. For instance Shuller ripped off Missy's dad when he first turned the drive in theater into a drive in church. Her dad was the contractor that built Pacific Drive ins and Schuller did not pay him a cent saying it was a contribution when it was not. All crooks, every one.

o

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 13:41

"All of the TV evangelists have no other desire than to fleece the flocks for all the money they can get."

ALL of them. That's pretty harsh and judgmental. Bitter personal experience, maybe. That would make such a remark understandable, at least.

o

Check out the homes these floaters live in...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Houses Of Well Known Televangelists.

o

The only TV "evangelist" we ever tuned in to was Bishop Fulton J. Sheen and his program "Life is Worth Living".
In full clericl garb he'd promote his simple message: "Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?"

I'm going with Don here and will go even farther - it's too easy for these "media whores" to get a flock to trust them. You (generic) can sit in front of the plasma in pajamas; no work, no commitment; no need to step outside the comfort zone. Write checks so the evangelists can keep running all the way to the bank. I suppose there's some sort of satisfaction for the giver in that - maybe it's a way of assuaging guilt for not participating in real life.

Time's a wasting - must attend to things that matter.

o

"You (generic) can sit in front of the plasma in pajamas; no work, no commitment; no need to step outside the comfort zone. Write checks so the evangelists can keep running all the way to the bank. I suppose there's some sort of satisfaction for the giver in that - maybe it's a way of assuaging guilt for not participating in real life."

I was just wondering: are these computer screens plasma, too? I was just sitting here in my "comfort zone", with "no need to step outside", and the similarities to your (generic of course) TV watcher struck me.

o

It's the modern American Way: lots of strong opinions on the merits of 'good works' from the comfort of the couch or easy chair. I side with those opining on the greed of many televangelists and the inflated egos that sustain them. Speaking on behalf of God is the ultimate hubris.

o

"Speaking on behalf of God is the ultimate hubris."

No more so than the overconfidence (arrogance?) of insisting there is no God.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 17:55

Elvis, just posing some questions that these message receivers should be asking themselves. If you heard a voice out of the blue telling you information or predictions what would you think of it? God? Angel? Satan? Ghost? Alien? Tooth filling? Brain malfunction?...you name that tune!
Or just plain old suckering in people for attention?

o

No more so than on insisting such an entity DOES exist, it also might be said.

L. Ron Hubbard, who interestingly enough founded Scientology, once said something to the effect that, "The fastest way to riches and power/fame is to start a religion."

One doesn't need to be from Missouri to utter the words, "show me".

o

Jodi: "L. Ron Hubbard, who interestingly enough founded Scientology, once said something to the effect that, "The fastest way to riches and power/fame is to start a religion.""

Actually, I don't see any documentation of that, nor do I find it "interesting", but here's something he did say about money:

"MAKE MONEY. MAKE MORE MONEY. MAKE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE SO AS TO MAKE MORE MONEY."

- L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 9 March 1972, MS OEC 384

What I do find interesting is that many prominent (Hollywood types) Scientologists are Democrats.

Here's some info about the Supreme Court and religion:

from legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Religion

"To determine whether an action of the federal or state government infringes upon a person's right to freedom of religion, the court must decide what qualifies as religion or religious activities for purposes of the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has interpreted religion to mean a sincere and meaningful belief that occupies in the life of its possessor a place parallel to the place held by God in the lives of other persons. The religion or religious concept need not include belief in the existence of God or a supreme being to be within the scope of the First Amendment.

As the case of United States v. Ballard, 322 U.S. 78, 64 S. Ct. 882, 88 L. Ed. 1148 (1944), demonstrates, the Supreme Court must look to the sincerity of a person's beliefs to help decide if those beliefs constitute a religion that deserves constitutional protection. The Ballard case involved the conviction of organizers of the I Am movement on grounds that they defrauded people by falsely representing that their members had supernatural powers to heal people with incurable illnesses. The Supreme Court held that the jury, in determining the line between the free exercise of religion and the punishable offense of obtaining property under False Pretenses, should not decide whether the claims of the I Am members were actually true, only whether the members honestly believed them to be true, thus qualifying the group as a religion under the Supreme Court's broad definition.

In addition, a belief does not need to be stated in traditional terms to fall within First Amendment protection. For example, Scientology�a system of beliefs that a human being is essentially a free and immortal spirit who merely inhabits a body�does not propound the existence of a supreme being, but it qualifies as a religion under the broad definition propounded by the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has deliberately avoided establishing an exact or a narrow definition of religion because freedom of religion is a dynamic guarantee that was written in a manner to ensure flexibility and responsiveness to the passage of time and the development of the United States. Thus, religion is not limited to traditional denominations."

It would appear that legally, religion doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a belief in God. Conversely, I would say that believing in God doesn't necessarily mean one is religious. Like me. Just a thought.

o

I may have paraphrased L. Ron Hubbard, but I originally found the quote in an article on Scientology, at an offshoot link from Wikipedia. It's out there in cyberspace... or I wouldn't have used it. Perhaps a deeper search is in order.

Unlike others, I don't have a need to make up information to prove a point.

o

"Unlike others, I don't have a need to make up information to prove a point."

Touchy. Anyone special in mind there, or just a general statement, like: "they say it may snow next Tuesday?"

o

Yep. Clearly hearing problems again.

o

Blood diamonds, palling around with Dictators, Diet shakes and prophecy (one stop shopping & a dollop of prophecy)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here