Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SYG - A Ticket to Murder at Your Discretion

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 12:46

"Less than nine months after Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in central Florida, another black teenage student was killed under suspicious circumstances."

"Jordan Russell Davis, 17, and several other teenagers were sitting in a sport utility vehicle in the parking lot when Dunn pulled up next to them in a car and asked them to turn down their music, [Jacksonville sheriff's Lt. Rob] Schoonover said.
Jordan and Dunn exchanged words, and Dunn pulled a gun and shot eight or nine times, striking Jordan twice, Schoonover said. Jordan was sitting in the back seat. No one else was hurt.Dunn’s attorney Monday said her client acted responsibly and in self-defense. She did not elaborate.
Schoonover also said that “there were words exchanged” between the two, and Dunn claims to have felt “threatened” before opening fire.
According to his father Ron Davis, the teenager died in the arms of his friend in the car. Ron said his son was unarmed.
Dunn was arrested at his home on Saturday and charged with murder and attempted murder. He is being held without bail."

There are links embedded within the story that lead to other articles on the same crime...

When will Florida wake up and realize what's going on?

Here is a link that might be useful: Murder Over Loud Music...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SYG - A Ticket to Murder at Your Discretion

I felt so threatened that I fled the scene after I shot up their car that the police searched after the shooting but not hard enough because they didn't find the shotgun I imagined!
This clowns toast !

o

Yes it is sad. A law that give them a license to kill.

o

I can't even imagine what it is like to be so frightened of everything that everyone is someone to be feared and shot if they act differently from yourself.

During my hospital stay, I had to get something from the hospital safe. The security guard brought it to my room and, while there, took a call from the security office. When he hung up, he said, "I hate it when people bring guns to the hospital." I asked him if he was talking about patients and he said, "yes". Of course, the guns are taken and put in the safe. But, what in the world is the matter with someone that they think they need a gun in their bedside table? I think they need to go to the locked ward.

Yes, SYG is the epidemy of this fear. Maybe ridicule would work better than outrage, but people's lives are at stake.

I feel so bad for Jordan's parents.

o

I read this yesterday and didn't note that again it was Florida. You felt threatened because the music was too loud??? Throw the book at him and let him rot in jail the rest of his miserable life. Come on Big PP, defend him.

It's so scary out there. As we were driving down the road the other night with the car radio on, I heard very loud men's voices and thought they were from a passing car. They didn't subside, and then Husband said a pick up truck behind us were the screaming idiots. Finally I heard the word 'Obama' and realized these freak jobs were upset about my bumper sticker. They followed us into the gym parking lot but went a different way. Thought my car would be keyed when I came out but it wasn't . People have been shot for less.

o

The guy's story is so full of holes, it might as well be Swiss Cheese.

If I saw a shotgun, I'd be foot to gas pedal, GONE! You don't mess with a shotgun, because you don't know what the shells contain, and there's very little aiming involved! Hence, there most likely was no shotgun.

I wouldn't reach into my glove box, take the time to load my handgun, then commence shooting a van filled with teens unless I was drunk, wanted to impress my date with my machismo, or both. I sure as hell wouldn't feel threatened in that scenario.

I would call 911 immediately. I would not go back to my hotel, sleep, go home to my own county, and await arrest.

To me, that says exactly what many of the comments following the articles said... he had time to sober up, sign his wealth to other parties, concoct a story... albeit a bad one... and not once worry about the kids.

He's toast... hopefully. And that SYG Law... needs to go.

o

"Agenda setting in the news has the power to leave news consumers in the dark about timely, relevant and important topics.

Take this developing story, for example.

In November, black youth Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old Jacksonville resident, was the only person murdered after Michael Dunn, 46, allegedly shot into the SUV Davis was inside several times after an argument about the volume of music playing."

"It's more or less the same story all over again: a white man shooting a black teenager dead in Florida in a tragic dispute that perhaps could have been avoided. Yet, why is Jacksonville trial of Michael Dunn and Jordan Davis not receiving the same amount of media attention or criticism as the George Zimmerman vs. Trayvon Martin case?

Do the airwaves, newspapers and Twitter feeds have enough room for the prominence of one type of vaguely race-charged crime? Or crimes that could tie into the debate on gun control? Or goodness forbid, when both topics intersect.

Whatever the reason, there is no one to blame but the national media for more or less skipping this one over."

For that matter, why isn't the Florida woman who was sentenced to 20 years for firing shots into the air to warn off her abusive ex-husband getting any media fare?

These stories are certainly a contrast in American justice...

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Isn't Jordan Davis Getting the Attention Travyon Martin Is?

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 8:22

The prosecution just didn't make its case. The evidence wasn't there. Remember, Florida has still has viciously punitive mandatory sentencing, no room for judgment on an individual basis. Manslaughter is mandatory 15 years, second-degree murder minimum 25 years.

That poor boy's dead, and we know he'd be alive if Zimmerman hadn't gone out armed and hostile. His family will mourn him for the rest of their lives, and for them and all of us this isn't justice, but enough evidence to establish whatever happened was not produced in court.

For his killer and society, this could be justice, though we'll probably never know just how culpable he really is. After all, our system protected this defendant from a "legal" lynching in a highly publicized case, and it doesn't always work that way by a long shot.

Again I say, thank goodness the jury was sequestered.

o

Lily, Big p's thread is gone and likely so is he.

o

If manslaughter carries an automatic 15 year sentence, how did a woman land behind bars for 20 without murdering anyone?

I'm a little bit confused by the Florida view on justice... the worse the murder, the less chance of conviction? Is that how it works? It sure looks like it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Woman Gets 20 Years Firing Warning Shot

o

That Papi guy is one dude no one will miss.

o

When will Florida wake up and realize what's going on?

When will Chicago wake up and realize what's going on? Do you know how many black citizens have died in Chicago streets this month?

Does anybody at HT care about the black people in Chicago?

July 10
�" Marlon Young, a 39 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Auburn Gresham.

July 8
�" Ed Cooper, a 15 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Humboldt Park.

July 8
�" Georgina Randell, a 30 year old black female, caused by a gunshot in North Lawndale.

July 8
�" Marquise Chandler, a 20 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in West Garfield Park.

July 7
�" Ramone Godfrey, a 19 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in New City.

July 6
�" Patricia Martin, a 40 year old black female, caused by a assault in Roseland.

July 6
�" Jerimiah Milsap, a 24 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Near West Side.

July 6
�" Terry Patterson, a 48 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in East Garfield Park.

July 5
�" Elliott Frazier, a 26 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Rogers Park.

July 5
�" Aurelia Wilborn, a 64 year old unknown female, caused by a stabbing in Roseland.

July 4
�" Shavonte Howard, a 20 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Gage Park.

July 4
�" Marlon Obanner, a 31 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in West Englewood.

July 4
�" Steve Mabins, a 21 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in East Garfield Park.

July 4
�" Theodis Young, a 36 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Greater Grand Crossing.

July 3
�" Ernest McMullen, a 26 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Woodlawn.

July 3
�" Rayford Brown, a 24 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in South Shore.

July 3
�" William Jones, a 26 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Auburn Gresham.

July 3
�" Damani Henard, a 14 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Austin.

July 2
�" Ashley Hardmon, a 19 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Austin.

July 2
�" Terrence Graves, a 23 year old black male, caused by a gunshot in Washington Heights.

o

Lets face it, racism is alive , well and thriving in the USA.

~Ann

o

You may want to brush up on your Chicago information... there's a great link in the "Chicago Holiday Crime" thread... also linked below... with statistics.

One 4th of July weekend, a holiday weekend where crime is expected to rise, does not make for an accurate picture of violence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Tactics Put Major Dent in Killing Trend

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 10:11

With SYG, apparently all you have to do is provoke a confrontation with another person , and if the other person responds to your provocation, you can kill them and claim self defense.

Great law.

o
RE: SYG - Open season

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 11:38

Disturbing chart shows rise in “justified killings” of blacks in U.S.

Last year, PBS Frontline published a fascinating analysis of how murder convictions have been affected by "Stand Your Ground" laws, which expand the reach of self-defense laws that protected Zimmerman.

Using this analysis, Roman found that a greater number of homicides were found justified in Stand Your Ground states in all racial combinations, a result he believes is because those states yielded more killings overall.

Roman also found that Stand Your Ground laws tend to track the existing racial disparities in homicide convictions across the U.S. - with one significant exception: Whites who kill blacks in Stand Your Ground states are far more likely to be found justified in their killings. In non-Stand Your Ground states, whites are 250 percent more likely to be found justified in killing a black person than a white person who kills another white person; in Stand Your Ground states, that number jumps to 354 percent.

There's a link to Frontline at the bottom of the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

brush, most of them were killed by other black men, not worth the medias outrage. We are losing a generation of young black men to black on black violence, yet how many threads have you seen with outrage expressed here. It's preferable to toss out accusations of racism rather than solutions to problems.

o

yet how many threads have you seen with outrage expressed here

If you are outraged about black on black violence, why don't you start one, mrskjun? Brush?

o

Esh,

Pay attention.

I have pointed to black on black crime in Chicago several times and get the "shrugs", "it's gangs and thugs".

That doesn't change the situation. Why are these blacks killing one another and why don't you care enough to start your own thread on it? I know the answer, and so do you.

o

and why don't you care enough to start your own thread on it?

I could start 500 threads on things I "care enough" about. Shall we call each other out about all those? Why don't you care enough about the environment trashing that our government officials allow in the name of profitability?

Mountain top removal for coal extraction?
Tree removal on roads for billboard visibility (sometimes even at taxpayer expense)?
River and stream pollution near manufacturing plants?

What about animal abuse?
Laws that attempt to restrict women's access to abortion?
Turning a blind eye to how some companies treat their low-wage workers, deliberately ensuring that they don't have paid healthcare by restricting their hours?
People that throw their cigarette butts out the window?
State/local policies that restrict people's ability to vote on weekends to make it harder for them to vote for Democrats?
People that create massive lawns and then use up tons of water/fertilizer/pesticide on them?
Governments that don't use native plants exclusively in their parks?

o

As I said.

Pay attention.

I have started and posted against many of the unjust actions you listed above.

If you really want to know more about black suffering, you need to read other than white news.

It seems you care more about things than people. Just my observation.

o

"Lets face it, racism is alive , well and thriving in the USA." - ann_t

and so is paranoia.

Can someone enlighten me about the SYG law. I know what it means ( I think) but what I was wondering was if the number of states that are making it law is increasing or not. From my research there are 16 states that have an actual SYG law but a number of states have interpreted their self-defense laws so that, in effect, the SYG law as now become case law for those states.

o

"Why are these blacks killing one another and why don't you care enough to start your own thread on it? I know the answer, and so do you."

I don't know the answer to either of those questions myself.

In addition to the people you're asking, I've never started a thread on the problem you mention either, because my time here is limited and I am not able to even post here as often as I would like, much less start discussions.

But I would be very interested in knowing why you think these blacks are killing each other if you started a thread about it, I would read and [if I had anything worthwhile to add] contribute to it. It's Sunday, so I have more time than usual ...

Why someone else doesn't start a thread about it doesn't interest me very much, though I know you were being rhetorical.

o

If you really want to know more about black suffering, you need to read other than white news.

Say WHAT? "White" news?

o

Maybe SYG is needed due to the fact that the whole black community screams for revenge in all cases of a white person killing a black person.

Black people can use the defense too, but not in gangland.

"An eye for an eye makes everyone blind."
Dr. King.
(Who did more for the black population in his short life than Jesse, Al, Louis, and Rev Wright and all the other hatred spewers put together.)

o

October, you are going off the deep end with this post and the thread you just started. You don't sound as if you have all your marbles with these comments. Calm down.

o

The prosecution just didn't make its case. The evidence wasn't there. After all, our system protected this defendant from a "legal" lynching in a highly publicized case, and it doesn't always work that way by a long shot.

You have this kind of backwards and the use of the word "lynching" was probably not a good choice.
Instead of being "legally lynched" as you said, Zimmerman was released and not even charged with a misdemeanor. It was only after Rev. Al Sharpton and others expressed outrage that the State of Florida investigated this incident and eventually decided to bring charges.
As far as not having evidence, well there was little useful evidence from the crime scene and what was there was lost after that six week period. I also believe that one witness, Jonathan Good, may have perjured himself.

As far as the Prosecution having a case, they did. Zimmerman killed Trayvon and admitted to it. The Prosecution mistakenly allowed him to provide his version of events via a police video. That was allowed into evidence and that is what the jurors used and according to B37, believed, hook, line and sinker. It was a compelling reenactment entirely through Zimmerman's perspective.

The Prosecutors made mistake after mistake, including allowing in that Zimmerman self defense video and his other statements , all without objection. It was as if he were allowed to testify without being cross examined. The jury was only able to hear his one sided story and to hear it recorded right out of his mouth... but nothing from anyone on Trayvon's side other than Janteal, and she was taken apart on the witness stand by Don West.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here