Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trey Radel

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 13:01

Nothing from our morals cruisers?
HMM I just can't imagine why not? The peacock generally scream loud & long for so much less.
I applaud that he's taking a leave of absence & doing inpatient treatment!
Beats screwing around trying to negotiate face saving strategies
He's donating his salary to charity! Some say he should give it back to the tax payers.
I guess since he's seeking treatment he gets a pass.
Generally you can take time off to go to rehab but most companies would fire you if you got busted for drugs first!
Still on the other hand it's not a felony bust in Washington DC .
I wish him well all the same!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trey Radel

labrea, I do think it's good that he's getting treatment, but that does mean he gets a pass. In fact, he has a lot of restitution to do before anyone can trust him again--if they ever can.

o

From the article linked below...

"Just weeks ago, Radel won some accolades for becoming one of the few Republicans to support drug sentencing reform. He co-sponsored the Justice Safety Valve Act, which would provide an exception to mandatory minimum drug sentencing laws to allow shorter sentences for non-violent, low-level offenders. Radel may get a chance to see how such a law works first hand. He was arrested in DC, which has a special drug court that is designed to funnel low-level addicts into rehab rather than long-term jail time."

'Who says legislators are just looking out for themselves?"

Here is a link that might be useful: From the LATimes

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 13:31

What some fail to realize is that users contribute to the gang/drug violence in our streets. I know that is difficult concept for some, but the buyers such as Mr. Radel purchase their "product" and leave (go back to their gated communities where they would not tolerate this activity) the violence that so many bemoan in our urban areas.

You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem ... Radel is part of the problem.

There is a "quiet" epidemic going on in suburbia right now ... heroin use/overdoses/deaths. Not for primetime.

o

He also voted for drug testing for food stamp recipients. Hope he doesn't get to that point.

o

We all gave Obama a pass didn't we? He admitted to using cocaine in the past. I don't recall any conservatives on HT doing an omg omg omg about that did they? Think he purchased his product from Billy Graham?

o

Obama admitted cocaine! Missed that one.... source please......not to say it isn't so...just new to me.

o

Forget it. Found a reference to it in his book..I should have checked for information first...

o

What about Bush, MrsK? Did cocaine, pot and was a roaring drunk most of his life till he found Jesus and Laura threatened to leave him. Even had a DUI.

Obama was a kid when he did drugs, not an elected representative vowing to test welfare people for drugs and yet buying cocaine from a known dealer. Hypocrisy at it's finest!!!

o

Obama was a kid when he did drugs, not an elected representative vowing to test welfare people for drugs and yet buying cocaine from a known dealer. Hypocrisy at it's finest!!!

Lilly, some here have trouble recognizing the difference.

~Ann

o

Mrsk, who the hell is that "we" you refer to? It 's sure as heck not you!

Of course you are correct, Lily. That Radel is republican is what brought forth Mrsk's unrepentant mean bone about a minor who wasnt employed by the tax payer at the time of his short lived foolish behavior.

I thought Labrea made excellent observations and agree with him. Too bad Mrsk would be unable to make even that much of a concession had he been a democrat.

Maybe Santa will remove that mean bone and bring her a little willingness for fair minded, even thinking for Christmas.
Or a lump of coal.

It's amazing how much bile still splatters because hot topic conservatives lost that last election they crowed was in the bag for four long years.

This post was edited by mylab123 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 17:03

o

Sure as hell was mylab. I'm not about to crucify someone who admitted to drug use in the past or someone who is getting help. Ever wonder how many alcoholics there are in Washington? Just because we don't know their names doesn't mean they don't exist. I don't know if the guy should step down or not. If he rehabs and stays clean should he keep his job? Not my decision to make. Not my congressman.

o

It is my opinion that your attitude " he isnt my congressman" is a mistake, on your part and on all congressmen and senators parts.
Everything he votes on affects you and me, our surviving children and often, our grandchildren/great grands. To me, that definitely makes him 'our' congressman, everyone's congressman and thus, makes him accountable to all of us.
I wish all our representatives would think in that larger scale of answerability, perhaps they would be more careful about what they say and how they say it.

This congressman now has the humiliation of abusing the same sort of drugs he was so insultingly insinuating that those on financial govt. aid abuse. That he wanted the great expense of drug testing frequently proves out that in his mind, he was sure it was a massive problem.
Had he not been pandering to his own particular voter block, it would be one hypocritical stand he wouldn't have to live down, and the attempt of some for extending sympathy for him might have had a greater depth.

As it is, the hypocrisy of it all will always be a part of his public service record, as it should be. Though I actually dont believe in a mystical karma, a case could be made for it with this as an example.
He didnt become a drug abuser overnight and I doubt he started off in his foray into drug abuse by first locating himself a dealer to supply him with his first crack at cocaine right out of the gate. Pun kinda intended.
Was he a drug abuser as he went national with his carefully crafted sound bites regarding his idea about drug testing those in his district on govt. financial aid?
Will most decide to believe him if he says not?
I suspect he was playing to a specific voting block and abusing those citizens in great financial need in order to parlay votes his way- but now the nation scoffs at him for that very pandering, as it rightfully should. Maybe it was his idea that "hey, if Im abusing drugs, its a SURE bet the needy are too" ?

Power so often corrupts.

o

"Tea Party Congressman Henry “Trey” Radel, R-Fla., pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine in a Washington, D.C. court on Wednesday. The case puts the spotlight on some interesting issues to be examined by a cynical public. Although his arrest on drug possession charges occurred on October 29th, not even Radel’s caucus leader, House Speaker John Boehner, knew about it until the day before he appeared in court.

According to Wikipedia, the freshman Congressman was elected by “one of the most Republican districts in Florida.” Although he’s been in office for just 10 months, Radel quickly became known in D.C.’s drug scene and was set up by his dealer to buy cocaine from an undercover officer. Court documents revealed that the October cocaine purchase was just one of several incidents.

Radel gets caught with cocaine and charged with a misdemeanor.

The first issue Radel’s case raises has to do with the disparity in sentencing for drug offenses. For getting busted with cocaine, he was given what appears to be the extraordinarily light sentence of one year on probation and a $250 fine. Although Washington, D.C. law classifies possession of any drug for personal use, other than PCP, as a misdemeanor, Radel could have been sentenced to 180 days in jail and a fine of $1,000. If the arrest had happened in his own home state of Florida, he would have been charged with a third degree felony. The sentence could have been up to 5 years imprisonment and a fine of $5,000.

In an interesting move for a Congressman with a conservative voting record, Radel has supported legislation to get rid of mandatory drug sentencing and to allow leniency for non-violent offenders. A self-serving position, perhaps? But it may also be part of his argument for softening the image of the GOP to broaden the party’s base. Whether he can sell his Florida constituents on any of the above remains to be seen."

More at the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Sno-ing Hypocrisy!

o

From the OP:

"I applaud that he's taking a leave of absence & doing inpatient treatment!"

Me too; I'm also glad that he pled guilty. It's a start.

o

You’re right, elvis. But I’m not giving him a pass just yet, if ever.

o

Pidge, I don't give anyone a pass. Second chance; probably, within reason.

o

Well, this just strengthens my opinion that all members of Congress need to be drug-tested (and that includes alcohol) periodically or their salaries will be withheld until the next testing.

Radical? You bet. Kind of said with tongue-in-cheek, but it might bring home the hypocrisy of those supporting laws that require drug testing of welfare recipients. I'd bet there would be a much higher percentage of congresspersons who fail the test than of welfare recipients.

o

As we already know, the welfare/drug test episode tried in Florida was a major fiasco... a complete waste of time, money and effort... unless you were invested in the corporation that manufactured the test kits and performed the tests, of course.

As I recall, it cost an enormous amount of money to find out that the stereotype of welfare recipients as drug users was, by major percentage, false.

o

"Well, this just strengthens my opinion that all members of Congress need to be drug-tested (and that includes alcohol) periodically or their salaries will be withheld until the next testing."

I think whoever is paying one's way has the responsibility to require pre-hire and periodic drug testing. That includes welfare recipients, only instead of "pre-hire" that would be "pre-qualify."

This could well pay for itself in terms of increased productivity, better health, and reduced criminal activity.

o

elvis: see Jodi’s post above. Why do I read your name and envision a fruit fly?

o

Dunno. When I see "pidge" I envision a nice little girl who raises pidgeons.

o

Whats a pidgeon?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 6:48

The whole drug testing for welfare recipients was tried and failed (for the state) in Florida ... course the gubnor's wife made a nice little pocket full of change but hey "wink wink" that's what pol's do for family.

Why does the mantra of "massive fraud" in regard to anything turn out to be (after investigation) on the average of 1 to 3%?

o

Because there's was never any massive fraud to begin with, at least not where it's proposed to be... it's only a diversionary groundswell that begins as a piece of propaganda and escalates into a giant stereotype that people buy into...

o

I saw this guy on TV last night talking about how he’s going to change and all that. Typical promises from a drunk who has not actually done any changing yet and is trying manipulate his audience, gain peoples’ sympathy like drunks do. I’ll believe this blockhead when he’s sober a year or so. Boo hoo!

fixed a spelling error.

This post was edited by pidge on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 7:59

o

"I’ll believe this blockhead when he’s sober a year or so."

I agree, but in the meantime, if talking about it helps him to follow through, i.e. self-pep talk, it's all good. If he's started therapy, he may not expect anyone to believe him; but he knows that has no believe himself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here