Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mucking-out the Murdoch press

Posted by jon_in_wessex z8/9 UK (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 13:50

The Metropolitan police have arrested 52 people as part of Operation Elveden, including 21 journalists at the Sun. Among the public officials arrested are a member of the armed forces, a prison official, and police officers.

The tentacles of this mess reach ever closer to the Prime Minister. Emails, again - don't they ever learn?

Best wishes
Jon
ps I understand this won't be of much interest to Americans, but I thought I should record it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Buying the news

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mucking-out the Murdoch press

It interests me greatly. I think the ramifications will be farther reaching than merely the UK. I hope it'll be a wakeup call, but I won't hold my breath. Do you really think it'll reach the PM's office? That would really be something. A whole new level.

o

ps I understand this won't be of much interest to Americans, but I thought I should record it :)

But it does interest America. He has invaded our print major newspapers and airways with Fox and Friend and their problem of listening to these talking heads and taking what they say as TRUTH.

What was considered rag magazines, and TV entertainment in the past has become for some as true journalism. Jerry Springer believers. LOL

o

I have posted a number of these on here in the last year about the ongoing shenanigans Big Yawn from the Rino & Fox Hunt club!

o

I'm very interested in the subject, and am waiting to see if any of these criminal activities will be discovered in the U.S.

o

Be Interesting when The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act comes in to play and I believe it will.

o

Jon, when this first blew up, I predicted here on HT that the BskyB deal would blow up. and it did. And I suggested that it would be the downfall of Murdoch. And it has been...for at least James. But also for the rest of the company in some ways.

I saw earlier today that Coulson and Brooks were charged with fraudulent payments.

Yes, i follow this.

Separately, we had UK visitors for a few weeks last month. They could not believe that Piers Morgan is on US TV every night now. When is he going to go down on this?

o

The interest is encouraging:)

The are several linked strands happening here at the same time. First and foremost, the Leveson Enquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the press is due to report in a matter of days, and the press is running scared that it will recommend a statutory framework to replace the self-policing arrangements that have been proven so weak, corrupt and ineffectual.

However, it will be for the government, and in particular the Prime Minister to accept or reject the recommendations of the enquiry - because it was the Prime Minister who commissioned it and set its objectives. With a number of the most notorious culprits now established to be former employees (Coulson) and personal friends (Brooks) of David Cameron, the scope for embarrassment is wide.

The enquiry itself has been a fascinating thing to watch - and I did watch much of it. Conducted in public, live and streamed to the internet, witnesses included celebrity-victims of journalistic methods, senior policemen, politicians including Blair, Gordon Brown and Cameron, journalists and editors and owners of all the press groups including the Murdochs. All were quizzed by barristers (some of whom became quite celebrated themselves) in a courtroom atmosphere - I found it highly watchable and instructive. Should anyone wish to delve into how these things are done, the entire proceedings are still available at: http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/hearings/

The coverage was split into:

Module 1: The relationship between the press and the public and looks at phone-hacking and other potentially illegal behaviour.
Module 2: The relationships between the press and police and the extent to which that has operated in the public interest.
Module 3: The relationship between press and politicians.
Module 4: Recommendations for a more effective policy and regulation that supports the integrity and freedom of the press while encouraging the highest ethical standards.

But - how would it play out in the USA? You will know better than me. We have a different sort of 'Freedom of the Press'. As with most of our freedoms, they are tempered with responsibilities and can not be considered 'absolute', though to hear the Editors screeching you would think the First Amendment applied here and of course it doesn't. It has struck me as strange that our non-free press is so notoriously free, crusading and rides very close to the law (sometimes crossing the line), while your totally free press is so restrained by comparison - the one exception being the group owned by the same Australian crook as the worst cases here.

I would think that the Murdoch's will have cleverly restructured their concerns so as to minimise cross-infection from those parts of the English operation that will deemed illegal - as in Rebecca Brooks being director of News International but not of News Corp, etc. I am also sure that the corporate headquarters will remain in the US, where they will feel better protected by constitutional law.

Best wishes
Jon

o

Ah Jon! You fancy yourself a (what we've dubbed) 'silencer thread' = sinks-like-a-rock-thread.

The big fear is that there will be proof that Fox-News is doing the same (or even worse). And indeed--does anyone really think they're an exception?

o

And he's not an Australian. Not any more. Deny, deny, deny!

o

Apologies - I intended the pejorative word to be 'crook', not 'Australian' :)

Best wishes,
Jon

o

That restructuring was announced in June and more came out when earnings were announced in August.

o

That restructuring was announced in June and more came out when earnings were announced in August.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here