Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Romney and the Meningitis Outbreak

Posted by ingrid_vc Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 17:47

I was shocked when I read this because I never would have imagined there could be a connection between the two. What far-reaching effects one action can have...

News
Romney Ignored NECC in Mass Added to Meningitis Outbreak
Posted by
politicol
less than a minute ago

Oct. 30, 2012 The meningitis outbreak that originated in Massachusetts from a compound pharmacy that had no legal rights to mass produce drugs or shots was an epidemic that could have been avoided.

The investigation thus far reveals that dating back to 2004, when Mitt Romney was Governor of Massachusetts, many complaints came in about the NECC company and he let them go with just a slap on the hand.

So far, 344 people in the States have contracted Meningitis a fatal disease when they where injected with steroids made at a Massachusetts compound pharmacy called New England Compounding Company or NECC.

The death toll is now 25 people who died from Meningitis in 18 states so far and there could be more in the next six months. The symptoms do not appear quickly but will show within a period of time.

Representative Ed Markey Democrat for Massachusetts is calling for a full investigation that led to the deaths and how this compound pharmacy went un-noticed while shipping out massive amounts of drugs (shots of steroids) without a license.

The pharmacy produced mass quantities of Steroid Shot made of Methylprednisolone Acetate used to relieve back, joint, knee, should pain however those who received the shots were injected with a fungal form of Meningitis which causes brain inflammation through the spinal cord.

The pharmacy shipped 17,000 vials of the infected shots to 76 different medical clinics across the country, without detection and without following regulations.

The NECC company had been cited for violations for over a decade dating back to when Mitt Romney was Governor of the State.

Records from the FDA show that back in 2002 several people had adverse reactions to the medication in other shots produced by NECC involving Betamethasone repository another steroid.

Over six complaints were filed in 2006, but in 2004 the Mass. Board of Pharmacies that reported to Mitt Romney gave NECC clearance to continue with just a slight reprimand and NECC agreed to admit to negligence back then.

A lawyer for NECC suggested that disciplinary action would cause business losses and would cause further investigations where the costs would be too great. A deal of profits before safety was consented to by Romney�s administration because he did not object to it.

Today, the NECC�s license has been revoked, and it�s facilities finally are shut down from any further infecting of the public with a deadly disease.

This whole disaster happened on Mitt Romney�s watch who is campaigning today on deregulating Wall Street, businesses and promoting such activities that led to the deaths of 25 Americans possibly more.

It is of note that the NECC president Greg Coniglario donates to GOP Scott Brown�s campaign against Elizabeth Warren, a Democrat and hosts fundraisers for Brown.

Scott Brown in pay back had written a letter to the Drug Enforcement Agency that requested drug regulations be lessened on the industry in Massachusetts.

This is just another reason why governments cannot hire ex-pharma executives to run the FDA, and why the pharma industry must never be allowed to regulate itself. There is just too much corruption for profit today in the corporate world that is causing deaths in drugs, shots medical devices and vaccines.

Also, the FDA is far too busy regulating harmless vitamins and continues to approved deadly drugs that cause death because of lobbyists and ex-employees of drug companies that work for the FDA.

The FDA for a long time needs a major overhaul that will dismiss ex-drug company employees, lawyers and CEO�s and clean house completely of a corrupted system.

For More see:

Daily Kos

Romney and Meningitis Outbreak

Salon

Romney Lax Regulations Fueled Meningitis Outbreak

Fungal Meningitis .com:

Romney Administration Failure Tied to Meningitis Deaths

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Romney and the Meningitis Outbreak

OK, lemme give this the ol' Benghazi try.....

So when the citizens of Massachusetts were begging Governor Romney to stop the slaughter of pain-wracked SEALS, he was off campaigning, and doing "fund raisers" with Browns' hot daughters. WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE!!! WHY ISN'T THE MSM COVERING THIS!!!!

o

Where is the outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o
rumor, so it must be true.

Bain Capital was invested heavily in this murderous, Islamic terrorist drug mixing plant, through a shell corporation in the Caymans, a wholly owned subsidiary of one of the dozens of tax-dodging Romney trusts.

HAVE THEY DENIED THIS ???

The silence tells you all you need to know.

o

I know this is a cheap shot, but I can't help but compare the deaths of four Americans in a troubled far-away Arabic country with the 25 and probably rising death toll on American soil that can be laid at Mr. Romney's door much more directly, and with nothing but the motive of profit behind it. If this article is correct, the gross negligence and callous disregard for human life by far outweigh President Obama's not yet proven culpability in the Benghazi tragedy.

o

Nothing shocks me where the man and his business enterprises are concerned... or entwined, regardless how tenuous the thread might seem. Anything to make or keep a buck, ya know.

o

Keep working ingrid. You might find something where he
gave an employee the afternoon off in 2003 and if he hadn't that employee
wouldn't have been shot by a robber.
Darn that Mitt Romney.

o

You people are kidding, aren't you?

Deval Patrick has been the governor of MA since January 2007, what's his culpability in the matter? Romney gave NECC a warning in 2004 and by the time he received notice of continued improprieties (late 2006), he was out of office.

o
RE: while you're at it

Let's blame the MA drug lab scandal on Romney too!

o

I don't see this as reaching any more than some of the points posted about Obama in other threads.

o

lavenderiver, I think I've got it...it's a liberal historical perspective. Whatever goes wrong on a liberals watch, they reach back in history to find the first republican they can blame for it.

o

Another report on the same topic:

Meningitis: The Fruit of Lax Regulation
by Artvoice Staff - posted 3:02 pm, October 30, 2012
Filed under: National Politics, Presidential Politics
Tags: mitt romney, NECC

Salon.com reports how a lack of regulation has led to 25 meningitis deaths linked to New England Compounding Center (NECC), a Massachusetts pharmaceutical company. While governor of that state, Mitt Romney gave the company a pass.

"In all, Massachusetts state records revealed that between 2003 and 2006, there were six complaints regarding NECC and its co-owner, Barry Cadden. At least one of these complaints alleged that NECC�s methylprednisolone acetate failed to comply with pharmaceutical standards. This is the same drug involved in the current epidemic.

In October 2004, the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Pharmacy, a state regulatory agency reporting to Gov. Romney, offered to let NECC enter into a consent agreement that would have acknowledged professional misconduct by NECC warranting disciplinary action, a public reprimand and three years probation.

But in a letter dated Nov. 11, 2004, Paul Cirel, an attorney for NECC, argued that such disciplinary action would be "potentially fatal" to NECC�s business. In a footnote, he asserted, "Once disclosed, the reprimand will surely result in investigations/inquiries/investigations in those other jurisdictions. Regardless of the derivative actions taken, the attendant legal and administrative costs will be devastating."

So instead, the company was allowed to regulate itself, and now dozens of people are dead. What does NECC have to say about it? "The thoughts and prayers of everyone employed by NECC are with those who have been affected."

Make you feel kinda sick? No?

How about the fact that the president of the pharmaceutical company is a contributor to the Romney for president campaign?

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 19:18

There was a recent thread on this and I posted that it is the repugs who have been lobbying for LESS oversight... and when Scott Brown was called on his support of this he, like a good romney repug clone, backtracked, big time.

E

o

And yet another:

Tue Oct 30, 2012 at 05:18 AM PDT
Romney�s lax regulation fueled meningitis outbreak

That's the title of this story by Craig Unger in Salon.com.

NECC, the company whose compounding has been determined to be the source of the outbreak, successfully lobbied the Romney administration to prevent even probation on previous citations of not properly abiding by safety and professional standards.

If this were less than a week before the election, and were the news not being dominated by Sandy, it is possible this could become a very big story in the campaign - it is illustrative of what happens when regulations are rolled back. And Romney's fingerprints are all over it.

Allow me to quote a few snips:

...state records reveal that a Massachusetts regulatory agency found that the New England Compounding Co., the pharmaceutical company tied to the epidemic, repeatedly failed to meet accepted standards in 2004 � but a reprimand was withdrawn by the Romney administration in apparent deference to the company�s business interests.

The story will tell you about an FDA 2002 confidential report which resulted in NECC paying a settlement after a NY patient died. Massachusetts state records reveal 6 complaints against NECC and its co-owner, and

At least one of these complaints alleged that NECC�s methylprednisolone acetate failed to comply with pharmaceutical standards. This is the same drug involved in the current epidemic.

. But there's more.

In October 2004, the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Pharmacy, a state regulatory agency reporting to Gov. Romney, offered to let NECC enter into a consent agreement that would have acknowledged professional misconduct by NECC warranting disciplinary action, a public reprimand and three years probation.

The article traces what happened after that, with the firm arguing through an attorney

that such disciplinary action would be "potentially fatal" to NECC�s business.

The firm was able to negotiate a situation with a consent decree and only one year of probation

and it was to be a non-disciplinary agreement that would not be reported to the National Association of State Boards of Pharmacy or other outside agencies.

The attorney suing on behalf of the meningitis victims has noted that Romney was responsible for the relevant agencies.

She added that under Chapter 13, Section 22 of the General Laws of Massachusetts, members of the Board of Registration in Pharmacy are appointed by the governor.

THe co-owner contributed not only to Romney, but also to Scott Brown, who

was one of 10 senators to sign a letter to the Drug Enforcement Agency arguing that regulations on the compounding industry should be loosened.

There is a reason that we do not let businesses self-regulate. There is a reason we need to have serious oversight. We should have already learned from the financial disaster that we need to restrict the influence of corporate interests on government and regulatory bodies lest the rest of us be put at risk for the sake of profits.

This SHOULD be a big story in this campaign.

One wonders if it will get any attention at all.

o

Gee, looks like Massachusetts is blaming the wrong guy!

"There may already be lawsuits against NECC," Patrick said at a State House press conference. "Against the state? We've abided by our regulations as you've heard, our regulations are comparable to and more stringent than many other states. My own view is we need to go further."

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

"How about the fact that the president of the pharmaceutical company is a contributor to the Romney for president campaign?"

Nice touch!

For anyone interested in the actual facts, please see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NECC

o

Hey, who needs any stinkin' facts. This is a political witch hunt, and I heard today that General Smith received the same information about infected vials and was going to rescue the pain wracked SEALS, but was told to stand down, and his driver came and arrested him under Romney's DIRECT ORDERS!!!!

o

My first thoughts, when reading the OP, was - what happened AFTER Romney left. How can this be entirely his fault? I haven't read the links, but, really. It's been eight years. Something had to have happened in those eight years that had nothing to do with Romney.

All this goes to show is that any company that manufactures and sells drugs needs to be regulated, and not by pharma people.

o

It's Romney's fault because he was in office for the first failure to investigate/reprimand. (He started it.) Does that count for anything at all?

o

Meningitis is swelling of the protective membranes, or meninges, covering the brain and spinal cord. The swelling is usually caused by an infection with a bacteria or virus, but meningitis can also be caused by a fungus. Since the release of a tainted steroid injection by NECC and Alaunus Pharmaceutical, some 419 cases of fungal meningitis have been confirmed by the Food and Drug Administration. Of those numbers, 30 people have died, including Daniel Rohrer, whose family has filed the first wrongful death suit against NECC and the pharmaceutical company.

o

My husband, who now has stenosis in an area of his spine, had a steroid back injection a week before this story broke. He, and thousands of people like him all over this country, had a very tense time for awhile until they were able to be assured that the medication used did not come from this specific compounding plant.

I hope that all compounding places are quickly cleaning up their acts in fear that a sudden inspection catches them off their mark. The Government plays a very important part in keeping these places in appropriate order of cleanliness/sterile compounding rooms necessary to create the medication which is injected directly into the body. If we had lax regulations, this is what would, more than likely, take place with regular frequency.
That place was found to be run over with live bugs, dead bug parts, dirty working conditions (not even good handwashing techniques were displayed) even live birds flying in the building. It was a fungal breeding ground and who knows what else was developing in that place.

Thank goodness for government regulations. Without them, we would all be in big trouble, because the very worst group to regulate a business is the business itself. That has been proven over and over again. Regulations to properly protect customers hurts the bottom line and big business is all about the bottom line.

Government and it's regulations can play a very important part in our lives. We might gripe about it, but we have no idea how greatly protective it actually is throughout every part of our lives. Let one of the "get rid of big government!" complainers suffer because a government regulation wasn't followed and something bad happened to them?
I can hear the complaining already:

"What has my tax dollar done for me lately?"

o

Mylab-you have said it-thank heavens for federal over sight and boo hoo when it gets pushed out of the way in the name of supporting business. You are showing your liberal leanings when you think -it would have been me, instead of the conservative view of -well it wasnt so business as usual until it is some one I know. Imagination.

o

instead of the conservative view of -well it wasnt so business as usual until it is some one I know.

Well, this conservative's view is, if you aren't smart enough to stay in business on your own, or circumstances don't allow you to stay in business, you don't need to be in business--and taxpayers should not bail you out.

It does not matter whose business it is.

o

The OP: you've got to be kidding. The up side of a thread like this one is the entertainment value. Let 'er rip, children. ;D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here