Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Senator Deeds Critically Injured

Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 17:47

Shocking news. Apparently son Gus, now dead from gunshot wounds, had been released yesterday from a mental health facility. Details are apparently not yet available.

"Virginia state Sen. R. Creigh Deeds, Bath Democrat, is in fair condition after he was stabbed at his home in rural Bath County Tuesday morning and his son, Austin "Gus" Deeds, died there from a gunshot wound in what police are investigating as an attempted murder and suicide.

State troopers and Bath County deputies found Mr. Deeds, 55, stabbed multiple times in the head and upper torso after having an "altercation" with his son. He was flown to the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville.

After the stabbing, Mr. Deeds left the scene and walked down the hill from his house to Route 42, where he was spotted and picked up by a cousin driving along the road. The two drove to the cousin�s residence and called 911, police said.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to quoted news piece

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Senator Deeds Critically Injured

This really is terrible news. I don’t know what to say except that a family has been torn apart.

o

The very day of getting out of the mental hospital? Pretty strange, since that generally indicates an individual has been well stabilized by anti-psychotic medication.

o

No open beds at the psychiatric hospital, so they released him.

o

The reporting I heard is that he was assessed by a psychiatrist and it was deemed that he should be kept for 48 hours for observation and further assessment . However, there were no mental health beds available so he was released to his fathers custody.

Hopefully the new mental health policies can change that for the better.......

o

"Ms. Geller would not confirm whether the gunshot wound was self-inflicted, saying that the sequence of events and motive for the assault were still under investigation. She did say authorities are not looking for any suspects.

Mr. Deeds has been able to make statements to authorities, she said.

“He has been able to talk with our investigators and the troopers” both earlier in the morning and at the hospital, Ms. Geller said."

I'm wondering if the senator had to shoot in self defense. That would be unbearable. Speculation on my part, but I can't help but wonder. However the events did transpire, it's just tragic.

o

Does the new mental health policy provide for more beds? I don't believe it does.

What an awful awful thing.

They've been cutting the number of beds for 40 years. They thought they could help reduce the stigma of mental illness. It hasn't worked, but still, they keep cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia cuts

o

October, the bill provides for improvments to insurance, which means more money for mental health care which means better services..... including beds.

o

"October, the bill provides for improvments to insurance, which means more money for mental health care which means better services..... including beds"

Chase, could you expand on that? Where did you read there will be more beds? Where will they come from? I had not heard that. Deinstitutionalization was a liberal idea. I had not heard that liberals were now calling for more beds for the mentally ill. If they are, that's a good thing.

Government can help folks get the best insurance policies in the world, but that doesn't mean people will get the care they need. Insurance is not health care. I suspect this young man had fine insurance.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 22:14

....a short timeline of mental health care in the UsofA.

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o

Thank you, ohiomom.

This is what I remember from my readings:

1981: Under President Ronald Reagan, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act repeals Carter's community health legislation and establishes block grants for the states, ending the federal government's role in providing services to the mentally ill. Federal mental-health spending decreases by 30 percent.

1985: Federal funding drops to 11 percent of community mental-health agency budgets.

In the late 1980s / early 1990s is when the number of homeless jumped in Los Angeles. Among the homeless were a good number of people suffering from mental illness. Because of the milder weather near the beach, and the expanses of public land there, the dramatic increase was noticeable in L.A.'s Westside and Santa Monica. I'm sure other areas of the city also had great increases.

2009: In the aftermath of the Great Recession, states are forced to cut $4.35 billion in public mental-health spending over the next three years, the largest reduction in funding since deinstitutionalization.

The cuts in government spending have real-world consequences.

o

"Government can help folks get the best insurance policies in the world, but that doesn't mean people will get the care they need. Insurance is not health care."

It is my opinion that the fact there will be money available , through insurance, to cover mental health care ,including hospital stays , will increase the demand for beds and becasue the beds will be paid for by insurance they will be made available....my opinion

o

"The cuts in government spending have real-world consequences."

So do laws that make liberals feel good.

Deinstitutionalization predates Reagan by a good 30 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: the real history

o

I remember well those cuts in the Reagan years. It was then that one began to see increasingly "bag ladies" on urban streets, and more homeless living under bridges. The cuts were a terrible mistake. I believe that the "half-way houses" were cut, as well, sending people out on the streets who were not ready to go, in terms of mental health.

o

There were beds available for Gus Deeds:

"The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported Tuesday that the younger Deeds had been given a mental health evaluation under an emergency custody order. But Dennis Cropper, executive director of the Rockbridge Area Community Services Board, said that Austin Deeds had been released because no psychiatric bed could be found for him across a wide area of western Virginia, the newspaper reported. But three hospitals in the area told CNN Wednesday that they had beds available, and no one called them. All three are within an hour or two of the Deeds family home in Millboro, about 150 miles west of Richmond."

What's up with that, I wonder.

A tweet from Axelrod is generating a bit of buzz. Politically motivated in the face of the Deeds tragedy?

David Axelrod ��" @davidaxelrod
Follow Deeds family tragedy in VA is one more reflection of compelling need to STRENGTHEN mental health services, instead of CUTTING them.1:20 PM - 20 Nov 2013
89 Retweets 50 favorites Reply

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed Was Available for Mentally Ill Son

o

The White House, Senate and Congress are what need mental health services.

So, the boy could have received care and didn't get it and his family didn't make sure he got it.

Too sad.

o

" It was then that one began to see increasingly "bag ladies" on urban streets, and more homeless living under bridges. "

Here's a hot tip. They're still out there. The MSM only follows them when there is a GOP administration. Hang in there. The media's pattern will eventually repeat itself, only next time you can watch for it.

o

Sounds like federal mental health care funding was not a factor here:

snip-"Initially, the attack drew rebukes about mental-health funding in Virginia, but the fact that services were available for Austin Deeds is likely to shift the scrutiny to local community services boards, which get some funding from local governments but are licensed and overseen by the state Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.

State officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a specific case said their understanding is that the Rockbridge agency made multiple calls in search of a hospital bed but ran out of time before finding one.

Experts said involuntary commitments can be particularly challenging to carry out in rural areas. Officials working against the clock might have to travel great distances to pick up a patient in need of an evaluation or wait for a therapist to travel to a rural hospital to conduct it. The clock on an emergency detention order starts ticking the moment the magistrate issues it."

Here is a link that might be useful: Update

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here