Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Thanksgiving from north of the 49th

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 17:47

I'm sure you will all be busy tomorrow with what is really important so I wanted to take this opportunity to wish all our American friends the very happiest of Thanksgivings.

Enjoy , celebrate, give thanks. I wish you a moist turkey, smooth gravy, fluffy mashed potatoes and enough leftovers for the requisite turkey sandwich on Friday.

But must of all I wish you happiness.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Thanksgiving from north of the 49th

Thank you, Chase.

I wish you happiness, too.

o

chase, thank you very much.
I wish that you have much to be thankful for.

o

Thank you, chase. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here in the US, and happiness (and peace) for everyone. It's my favorite holiday. Everyone together at my house, lots (and lots!) of yummy food and desserts and no pressure of gift giving.

o

Thank you Chase. Back atcha.

Wishing everyone a very happy and safe Thanksgiving.

o

Thank you, chase, for the good wishes. A happy Thanksgiving Day to the rest of you folks south of the border. My visiting daughter and I are getting a traditional dinner with good friends to share the time together and give thanks for not only the rich repast but also the many large and small successes over the year.

o

Thank you Chase. My family and I have a lot to be thankful for and there will be lots of smiles and thanks at my table tomorrow.

o

Happy Thanksgiving one & all I am thankful for these last roses, for my partners new heart, for another year free of drugs & alcohol. For opportunities to be of service to my community.

o

Happy Thanksgiving from the west coast of Canada.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

~Ann

o

Wishing you a good day of thankfulness also--but I must insist on adding stuffing and cranberries to the meal, or it won't be complete. Guess pumpkin pie also. : )

Kate

o

Thank you Ann and Chase. We wish our Canadian friends the best too.

o

Thank you, Chase and Ann. If youse guys lived closer I would invite you to dinner. :-)

o

Thank you chase and ann. Happy Thanksgiving to all. My house will be overflowing with family. I love every minute of it. There will be nine under the age of 14, what a joy that is.

o

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

I realize many of you won't be checking in for a while, so a Happy Belated Turkey Day to the rest of you!

o

Thanks, Chase! We were invited to our neighbor's beach house for Thanksgiving dinner so I am very excited.

Just turned on the TV for the big parade. When I was a little kid we would occasionally get taken to the parade. It was nothing like the current extravaganza, but to a kid it was a big deal. After the parade we would go to Schrafft's for hot apple pie with hard sauce. Nice memories from Thanksgivings past.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I hope you all enjoy it surrounded by family and friends.

o

Thanks.

The turkey is on the counter, ready to go into the oven, after the pie is done. Making the dressing/stuffing, getting ready to peel the potatoes.

My granddaughter is on the sofa, she threw up all night. My DS and DIL are on their way, with the dog. The five cats should be pleased!

Just a typical family Thanksgiving. And isn't this what it's all about?

o

Thank you, Chase, for your kind words.

A slight edit:

Enjoy, celebrate, give thanks. I wish you a moist turkey, smooth gravey fluffy mashed potatoes and enough leftovers for the requisite turkey sandwich on Friday.

Gravy-free safe house in Venice! Roasted turkey breast with olive-fig tapenade. Instead of mashed potatoes, herb roasted sweet potatoes.

But must of all I wish you happiness.

I wish happiness to all as well.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 10:41

Thanks for the well wishes, right back at our Canadian friends and other nations of the planet. A simple meal this year for us, collards, carrots, & potatoes from the garden. Turkey, ham, and stuffing from the store. Got much to be thankful for here, hope you all do too.

o

Should I make boiled carrots in a cream-sauce with thyme? I'm thinking yes....

o

I extend my Happy Thanksgiving wishes to all as well. Much to be thankful for.

Rain changing over to snow is in the offing for tonight; luckily, no one is travelling far. Everything that can be done/prepared ahead has been done - nothing to do but wait for mid afternoon. Keeping it simple; everything tried and true over the years.

o

Best wishes for a safe and happy day to all. Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture, Labrea!

o

You live North of the 49th State, Alaska? LOL. Seriously, I did not know Canadians celebrated our American Thanksgiving after celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving in October.

I always knew Canadians liked to mimic our culture in other ways, but Thanksgiving isn't one, since it is, for many Americans, rooted in U.S. history when the Pilgrims first gave thanks for the first harvest back in 1621.

I wrote a poem about this when I was 10 years old , back in the 5th grade, that I have kept all these years.
It starts out:

"It's time for us to change our living,
and start to think about a new Thanksgiving.

First cam the Pilgrims to this barren land,
they cultivated, harvested, and worked hand in hand."

I illustrated the poem with colored pencil drawings of a Pilgrim hat. a turkey, gourds, hay, etc.
I looked at it this morning, and it reminded me of the days when all the holidays
were celebrated by us kids without the pressures, worries and health concerns that plague some of us these days. Now I am just glad to be alive for another one, and hope everyone else is healthy, happy and enjoys a peaceful holiday season with family, friends and the little creatures that beg for real food around our tables.

o

I too wish all of my American HT friends a great Thanksgiving. For those of you who are traveling, Safe Travels. For those of you hosting dinner I hope your Turkey is nicely cooked and your side dishes are delicious. And for everyone I hope that your day is spent in the company of loved ones whether it be family or friends.

From the west coast

o

Thanks Chase. Happy day to you as well, and to all the HT folks.

o

49th parallel, I presume? Someplace way up yonder is the border, I reckon.

Seems very likely to me that Thanksgiving is rooted in the European harvest fest tradition.

o

Perhaps if it were an International Holiday celebrated by everyone around the world once a year, some problems might not be problems...

My best to everyone on what we know as Thanksgiving.

I'm grateful for everything, good and bad, because all of it has made me who I am and given me the life I live. I'm grateful for my wonderful extended family, my close friends, and many others I consider to be good people. I'm grateful for too many things to list...

I hope everyone had a nice day. :-)

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:16

...i'm late, i'm late for a very important date :)

We had a "farm to table" Thanksgiving which we have been doing for several years.

Shout out to the farmers who grow/raise the food for my table.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Agrarian Center

o

Awesome, Ohiomom! Sustainable and natural are good things... truly things to be thankful for!

o

Ohiomom, I harvested a large box of vegetables and fruit for the Thanksgiving dinner served at friends' home. Wonderful to able to talk about the sources of most of the meal and to appreciate the efforts to bring them to that table.

o

Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 23:04

Wonderful to able to talk about the sources of most of the meal and to appreciate the efforts to bring them to that table.

ya got that right :)

o

Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 23:04

Wonderful to able to talk about the sources of most of the meal and to appreciate the efforts to bring them to that table.

ya got that right :)

o

And my garden contributed carrots , onions, and arugula to the dinner. My carrots aren't the pristine little carrots in a pack that grandson knows. He asked why we can't grown them like that. He had to admit as strangely shaped as many were, they tasted just as good...maybe better.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 7:54

What a nice treat to read pleasant, caring, thoughtful messages from one and all. Thanks for the change of pace! LOL

o

I'd like to share the following, via Facebook:

Iroquois Prayer Returning Thanks To Mother Earth
We return thanks to our mother, the Earth,
which sustains us.
We return thanks to the rivers and streams,

which supply us with water.
We return thanks to all herbs,
which furnish medicines for the cure of our diseases.
We return thanks to the moon and stars,
which have given to us their light when the sun was gone.
We return thanks to the sun,
that has looked upon the earth with a beneficent eye.
Lastly, we return thanks to the Great Spirit,
in Whom is embodied all goodness,
and Who directs all things for the good of Her children.
Thanks to Pachamama Alliance
http://www.pachamama.org/blog/an-iroquois-prayer-returning-thanks-to-mother-earth

o

I can relate; thanks for sharing. It is beautiful. :)

o

Loved that, Marshall

o

My SIL brought this to Thamsgiving dinner;

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.

It turns what we have into enough.
It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity.
It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.
Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."

-Melody Beattie

o

Very inspirational, if suspect on matters of chaos and confusion -- perhaps put them aside for the duration of the celebratory moment?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here