Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Factory Farming

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 18:23

I do not recommend the attached video (you tube) I could only watch a few seconds myself but I feel duty bound to put it on here.

Here is a link that might be useful: stop it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Factory Farming

Sickening beyond bearing. What to you propose to do about it?

o

I'm ashamed to say I can not watch. I should be able to face my food. Growing up I watched the chickens and pigs we raised slaughtered. At least it was honest, unlike buying cyrovaced body parts in a sterile supermarket where we don't face and honor our food source. I am eating less and less meat and feel strongly that we consume the animals terror adrenaline at their death when we eat their rotten flesh.

o

Thanks maggie, I must admit I wasn't prepared for pats challenge off the bat.

o

I think you are right, Maggie.

The thing is, it is so easy these days to have a good diet and be healthy without eating flesh. We are not pioneers in the vast food-less forest.

o

Damn! I couldn't watch more than a few minutes.

o

True true...maybe I should watch and be done with meat but my family would start occupying the kitchen in protest.

Thanks for sharing, Ink. We need to be reminded daily.

o

I only made it about 5 seconds. The cute little cow through me off.

o

Yep I've posted that on here also I don't eat any of that crap

o

Marshall, you seem to me to be a very young 74. Which isn't ancient you know. Now, 84 is when you will have to slow down and 94 is when you will need to sit on the front porch and make the grandkids bring you your coffee when you feel the yen. Or your girlfriend, which ever comes last :)

But 74? Heck, that leaves this country plenty of time to hurt you badly by ruining your business :(

o
Where am I, darn it?

So sorry - that post re Marshall should have been under David's "Quick Refresher" -

didn't click on the link - don't have what it takes to watch such as that - but point taken.

o

Well, thank ye, young lady. I don't feel or act ancient. By the time I'm 84, I'll likely have great grandkids. Catch ye on the other thread.

o

If I had the right to do so, I would still have my ducks and dine on their eggs exclusively. Both they and I were much happier.

:o(

o

I never watch stuff like that. It's why I haven't eaten meat in 30 years. If I clicked on it, I would have nightmares.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 12:38

If you keep typing "ye" you're going to become Ye Olde Guy here.

Old is definitely underway by age 80, because 50% of Americans over 80 have Alzheimer's or dementia. People in their 80s and 90s are on overtime.

My mother made it to 80, had a stroke 2 months later, and then was gone approaching 2 months after that. She always did think punctuality was important.

Limiting animal protein should help longevity of one's self, as well as reducing the mass production of meat and meat products (if enough consumers were to cut back significantly). Meanwhile, tons and tons of toxic foods go down the gullets of millions who eat mostly what they think is fun to eat, rather than what is good for them.

o

As I read this, we are busy preparing several tourtieres.

Not exactly limiting the animal protein and most certainly eating for fun.

o

Labrea has posted that video before and it was so disturbing I only made it through about 4 minutes!

I have been a longtime vegetarian, yet I still wrestle with this issue. Where did the milk from Chobani yogurt come from? How about my cat's pet food? How about eating out at a restaurant - where did their animal products come from?

There is something terribly wrong with a society that thinks CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operations) are an acceptable way to produce food, and treats other sentient creatures in such an inhumane way, so that producers can profit, and consumers can indulge themselves, cheaply.

o

MNNN duck eggs!

o

Well said Terrene.

I could watch a few seconds of the video. It's horrifying to see people treat a living being with such cruelty. Factory farms should be outlawed.

o

"...we don't face and honor our food source."

Nor do we grow it in a humane manner, as I'm quite certain the video shows, even though I am not watching it.

As a society, we have become so far removed from our source of food that we have no idea where it originates, how it's raised or made, what goes into its processing, etc... which has lead us to many negative issues.

Humankind certainly can live without being carnivorous, but for those of us that remain so, I think it's important to face and honor that source, and take it with that respect for life and death, and for what it gives us.

This is one of the reasons we taught our children to hunt, to only take that which we need, utilize it all, and to respect and give thanks for the offerings of our planet. We feel it an important life lesson... more so because we are not vegetarian, and do consume some meats.

Even the trade of Butcher is no longer a viable one in our country... a dying breed... as we import more and more, and become ever further from that original source.

o

I don't want to revisit this topic since I knew about the cruelty 30 years ago and stopped eating meat then. That's the humane way, and if more people did it for the health benefits as well as for the planet , it would be a better solution.

o

It is one of the saddest things that we as supposedly superior and more intelligent beings visit upon helpless creatures who have done absolutely nothing to deserve it. It haunts me almost every day, especially since I'm ashamed to say that I'm only about 90% vegetarian.

o

Me too ,Ingrid. Once a week I have 1/2 pound of Salmon and a chicken thigh. Maybe 98% but I'm working on 100%. I never have missed meat at all. In fact the smell of a steak cooking makes me nauseous.

o

Ingrid, 90% is pretty good - better than most! I used to be strictly vegetarian, even vegan for awhile, but am now about 99% vegetarian, eat fish about 1x per year, and chicken about 1x per week (small quantities on the order of 1-2 ounces).

While there is a lot wrong with our modern food system, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the human body consuming animal foods. Just not like the gluttons in this country who eat meat and animal products not only on a daily basis, but at every meal! There are few people that need that kind of energy to perform their daily activities.

100+ years ago people not only worked much harder, but they probably did it on a LOT less food. One thing I am certain that the human body is very good at, is using fuel very efficiently.

o

I think part of the problem is that the foods we consume today do not contain the amount of actual "fuel" we need... they are not as nutritious as they once were, due to our methods of production, process, manufacture, and packaging.

Even vegetarian diets, depending on the sources, are being genetically altered. A lot of the soils used to grow are depleted or lowered of what's needed to produce fruits and vegetables with nutritious value. Much of what's grown is done so using heavy duty chemicals, and/or are irradiated or otherwise treated for bacterias and things which should not be issues. Some items are coated for storage or otherwise altered or treated for long shipping times so they are not quite ripe when they arrive in our grocers produce sections... and I notice a lot of items never do ripen or taste as they should.

Knowing what I do about farming in general makes me very picky about where I get my produce and meats from. I'd rather grow it myself, hunt it, or otherwise know its source. Even my dogs don't eat the way most pets are fed.

The commercial food industry is tainted, compromised... whether we're talking about human or domestic animal consumption... and companies like Monsanto want to further mess with mother nature...

o

Sorry I could not watch. I visited my uncle on the farm one summer and I could not eat meat for a year.

I am like Jodi I do not give my pets commercial foods in a bag or can. I try to eat as less meat as possible but I cannot say the vegetables are much better with the chemicals they spray and the lack of cleanliness of the harvest and storage before it goes to market.

I guess my Mother blessing every meal is about all you can do is pray over it and hope for the best and do not put anything in your body without a complete cleaning process.

Soak in vinigar, salt, scrub what you can etc.

o

All vegetables & fruits go through a vinegar & water rinse since EDD got his transplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here