Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
political space

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 19:02

How come this kind of opinion doesn't appear in major US media?

Here is a link that might be useful: outta sight

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: political space

It can't be because it's not glamourous; because it certainly is--my guess is that the president is a fan of the movie "Armageddon".

I love this story.

o

Probably because people, collectively speaking, are often prone to panic, are often fear driven, and don't stop to think or research other sources to gain better insight and perspective before panicking or going into hyper drive "OMG" mode, etc...

o

Deflecting an Earth-path asteroid would be a stunning use of remarkable technology, far better, IMO, than the sort of Heinlen fantasy-track of Moon-Mars-other solar-system colonization scheme.

o

Its fun to speculate on the physics of stopping or deflecting an enormous meteor - mass X speed, in space - I suppose that a nuclear explosion would be the only thing that would have that kind of energy.

o

I suppose that a nuclear explosion would be the only thing that would have that kind of energy

Other than Bruce Willis, of course.

ba dum dum shishhhh!

o

That's the best typed drum roll I've seen to date, Circus!

Do we even know if or how a nuclear device would work in space?

The movie with Bruce Willis and Hillary Swank, among others, was good, but it was only a movie. I think protecting our planet is worthy of placing in the budget, instead of wasting money visiting the moon again, or trying to colonize a planet that we can't really live on... not like we can here, anyway.

o

You mean Liv Tyler, not Hilary Swank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here