Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Devolving on Marriage Cheney Style

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 19:47

"I was watching my sister-in-law on Fox News Sunday (yes Liz, in fifteen states and the District of Columbia you are my sister-in-law) and was very disappointed to hear her say 'I do believe in the traditional definition of marriage.' Liz has been a guest in our home, has spent time and shared holidays with our children, and when Mary and I got married in 2012 - she didn't hesitate to tell us how happy she was for us. To have her now say she doesn't support our right to marry is offensive to say the least. I can't help but wonder how Liz would feel if as she moved from state to state, she discovered that her family was protected in one but not the other. I always thought freedom meant freedom for EVERYONE." - Heather Poe, wife of Mary Cheney, writing today on her Facebook page.

Mary later wrote on Her Face Book page!

"Couldn't have said it better myself. Liz - this isn't just an issue on which we disagree - you're just wrong - and on the wrong side of history." - Mary Cheney,

"I don't believe we ought to discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If people are in a same-sex relationship and they want their partner to be able to have health benefits or be designated as a beneficiary on their life insurance, there's no reason we shouldn't do that. I also doesn't support amending the constitution on this issue. I do believe it's an issue that got to be left up to the states. I do believe in the traditional definition of marriage. Listen, I love Mary very much. I love her family very much. This is just an issue on which we disagree." - 2014 US Senate candidate Liz Cheney, speaking today on Fox News Sunday.

Liz is certainly entitled to her opinion but were it me and any member of my family. "Don't come to my home smile in my face & tell me how happy you are for me!

Her only point in doing this on TV was to score political points in a battle shes apparently losing big time!

Here is a link that might be useful: When Families Feud

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Devolving on Marriage Cheney Style

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 20:32

The Cheney family puts the fun in dysfunctional, don't they?

Gotta love 'em, a real credit to the GOP, all around, dontcha think?

o

Honestly, I don't even know why this is an issue... equality is for everyone... otherwise, it kind of puts a damper on the word "equality" and what that really means.

"Tradition" is hanging stockings on the mantel with care in hopes that St. Nicholas will soon be there. This has nothing to with "tradition", as in traditional marriage... it's all about prejudice and discrimination and fear of that which is not understood, or ignorance.

I wonder... would it then be appropriate to call the miserable 50% rate of divorce among so called traditional marriages "Traditional Divorce"? Are they in support of that?

I don't recall being asked which orientation I'd like to have, so I have to logically think that nobody gets a choice... we are who we are. It's that simple.

The whole issue, that's really a non-issue, centers around bigotry, hate, and all those other words that describe those who have no tolerance for or understanding of others who are different, not like them.

Dysfunctional might be putting it a bit too mildly...

I know one thing... I'd be highly offended if someone gushed about how happy they were for my marriage, and then turned around and pulled a stunt like this. Is she sure she doesn't want to twist that knife a few more times, just to make sure feelings are really hurt, and the wound is beyond repair?

o

I honestly do not see how this is dysfunctional. They have opposing viewpoints and because of political aspirations, those opposing viewpoints are getting aired out publicly.

I do not think that it was wrong for her to go to her sister's house and smile and say that she is happy for her sister. It would have been wrong for her to go to her sister's house and state her opposing opinion loudly to her sister. It is also possible to be happy for someone even if they are doing something that you disagree with. This is just mildly entertaining if you ask me. Conservative politicians will continue for some time to give the requisite answer to the gay marriage question, passing the buck by saying leave it up to the states and over time, more and more states will legalize gay marriage and more and more people will ask, why are wasting our time arguing on this battle that is already lost, let us find some other battle.

ETA: I think the most telling thing is that she acknowledged what her sister has made is a family.

This post was edited by tishtoshnm on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 1:05

o

Liz is the female version of her evil old man, down to the sneer.

o

There are members of my core family who know & love EDD and then there are those few of the extended family who say nothing and are quiet around us.

It lets us know who we are playing with or playing to.
We both have a lot of therapy so "we never play to" & at family gatherings we both enjoy playing with the family who aren't speaking out both ends..
(Particularly on a National News Show )
In a sit com or drama you might not like a family members spouse In reality you might no like a family members spouse (can you see the difference).
It proceeds from a place of heterosexist condescension

Shes on there running for office & shes losing.

o

I don’t know that I’d use the word “dysfunctional” to describe Liz Cheney’s two faces, but “hypocrite” might work. This sibling disagreement is more than “mildly entrtaining”; it’s revealing of the lengths to which candidates will go to win over an electorate that is full of hatred for gay people. If my sister came to my house and told me that she was happy for my marriage and then went on TV to denounce the form my marriage took, “hypocrite” might be the kindest word I could muster. Hard to think kindly about throwing one’s own sister under the bus.

o

I don't see a disconnect at all, certainly no dysfunction and I don't even see hypocrisy, necessarily.

One can be genuinely happy for someone's personal situation and acknowledge that it makes them happy, but not agree with the principles or reason(s) that caused them to be in that situation.

o

I think "dysfunctional" fits in terms of the whole Cheney "political entity"... or debacle... when you look at Dick and his involvement in politics and everything, and how that went... well, maybe it IS the right word.

I'm sorry, but I think all goes much deeper than just a "difference of opinion". Equal is equal, and we are who we are. What makes any one person's relationship less valid than another's?

In my opinion, organized religion is mostly responsible for the attitudes that still exist today.

o

The functions or balances within a family are learned from infancy & first through gestures. Eye to eye, touch, cooing smiles,
There is no part of the child that has yet to hide any portion of itself. These gestures say welcome grow feel experience show us who you are, thrive.
The crazy making or dysfunction starts when you have to hide an essential characteristic or trait about yourself order to still receive this life affirming/sustaining behavior. Or in more extreme cases survive in what until now has been a hetero centric world. This world has a great deal of hostility to that which is not hetero normative. (religious admonitions, threats of eternal pain, or just plain old civil law)
By first grade most gay people of my generation were already in hiding if they were capable of it. The ones who weren't suffered excruciating social abuse from their peers & often found no safe port at home to remedy this trauma in fact home would often be more riskier than the playground. In they playground you might only risk losing friends at home you might get sent off to happydale. or some special educational camp or simply cease to be worthy of much beyond feeding.

The dysfunction comes from the most basic experience of boundaries between family members when that becomes gamey/wobbly.
If Mary's "POSITION" were not a state of being and a basic one at that it would be a plain old family squabble.
This is someone who says I'm so happy for you because your my sister & will attend your wedding (that is to co celebrate) there is then a withdrawal. (on National TV)
I've yet to meet a gay person who when experiencing this in their family circles isn't affected deeply by the experience!
Extreme reactions in the past led to suicides as toxic shame won out the anger got turned inward rather than be directed outward or into something creative.
Basic of that which functions ( often with glitches)
I see you, I accept you,(I don't have to agree with you) I will or will not support you. (there has to be some kind of consistency here)

Dysfunction I see you. I claim to support you but withdraw it based on conditions. Yee old conditional love
I will love you, as long as you don't wear the color red, don't convert to Catholicism, Judaism, Islam.
You are only worthy of love & approval if your ah heterosexual or homosexual with conditions (Those conditions continually being represented in a political format but in family social situations my outward behaviors social signals are ones of approval)

This post was edited by labrea on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:58

o

Well, this gets into the larger picture - Liz is running for Senate in Wyoming against Mike Enzi - and as such, has to be a Wyoming resident. So she bought a house there earlier this year, and tried to get a resident fishing license - not realizing that you have to live there a full year before being eligible for the local license rate. And she had to pay a $220 fine.

It would appear that the upstanding citizenry of Wyoming is not particularly impressed with Liz and her transparent carpet bagger status, and she is now behind Mike Enzi by some 52 points in the polls.

So think of this slam on her sister as pandering to the family value voter in Wyoming, hoping to sway the polls. Wyoming - the state that was first in the country with womens' suffrage.

o

So we can add “pandering” to dysfunctional and hypocritical--the Liz descriptors grow ever more inspired.

o

Liz is running for Senate in Wyoming against Mike Enzi

Someone just posted quotes from Enzi on another thread. As repugnant as the quotes were, I hadn't stopped to consider which state he represented.

Liz, honey, you would have to threaten to burn your sister at the stake to satisfy the voters who elected Enzi.

o

One can be genuinely happy for someone's personal situation and acknowledge that it makes them happy, but not agree with the principles or reason(s) that caused them to be in that situation.

How can one "not agree with" the basic tenets of human biology? This is not a political debate over a principle, it's bigotry regarding an essential aspect of someone's physical being.

o

I agrre, circus--the old “hate the sinner, love the sin” canard rings hollow. This isn’t a political disagreement but an intensely personal one regarding the core of one’s being. Mary did not make a “choice” in this matter--she ws born what she is and it’s asinine to see that as something she could reject even if she wanted to.

o

This discussion is starting to get tiresome. (I don't mean here but in society in general).

My hairdresser is gay and married with a daughter.

My nephew is gay as is a male cousin and a female cousin (who is married with 2 adopted children),

I have a niece who used to be a nephew` (she went through hormone therapy and operations to make this change possible),

A friend of mine is acting as a surrogate to a gay couple (the egg came from the sister of one of the men and the sperm from his partner).

This is just a sample of the different people in my life who enrich it. And then we have the ones who are in "traditional" partnerships who add to it as well.

Oh and if my 85 year old mother can accept and handle these different partnerships of her grandchildren and friends then maybe others should open their hearts and minds to an evolving society.
`

o

How can one "not agree with" the basic tenets of human biology? This is not a political debate over a principle, it's bigotry regarding an essential aspect of someone's physical being.

Exactly. No different than saying you don't agree with your sister's choice of blond hair. Or blue eyes. Or tall. Or short. Or...

o

"The crazy making or dysfunction starts when you have to hide an essential characteristic or trait about yourself order to still receive this life affirming/sustaining behavior."

Precisely, Joe. And it's not like the gamut of orientation hasn't always been a part of humanity... or of the animal kingdom, as well.

The part of society that "evolved", I think, is the part that stopped accepting people as they are... the part that began telling us it was wrong and unnatural... the part that decided everyone had to follow a specific set of "morals".

The fact is, lgbt persons have always been a part of the human race. This isn't a recent development, or something.

I have a great distaste for the word "tolerance"... what's wrong with "acceptance"? I like that word much better!

Right, Jill... like I could change my height or hide it because it's not acceptable to society...

I agree, Pidge... I've never understood that cliche' about the sin and sinner... makes no sense in my mind.

"How can one "not agree with" the basic tenets of human biology? This is not a political debate over a principle, it's bigotry regarding an essential aspect of someone's physical being."

Yes, exactly...

The issue IS tiresome within the bigger picture of society... some people are gay; some people are black, some are white, some are short, some are thin, some are disabled... humans come in a wide spectrum of differences... get over it, already!

Let's show the rest of the planet that we understand what equality, freedom, and liberty truly mean... let's accept each other exactly as we are, and love that there are so many unique and special people in the world... let's legalize marriage for consenting adults at the federal level!

Just as with other prejudices, though... some people will end up on the wrong side of history.

o

I dislike Liz Cheney as I do her father, She might as well have said she didn't approve of Mary because she was tall or short or had freckles.

o

Posted by circuspeanut coastal 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 11:48

You don't have to disagree with biology.

One can be happy that one is gay, that one is happy in their relationship, but not approve of marriage for gays.

It's just an example--one can be happy that someone has a new home, but not agree with the means by which they paid for that home--by underreporting their income taxes, taking money under the table, etc.

One can be happy for one's happiness but not approve of their situation on principle--just like I said, and that has nothing to do with approving or disapproving of biology.

o

"One can be happy for one's happiness but not approve of their situation on principle--just like I said, and that has nothing to do with approving or disapproving of biology."

Right; there all kinds of examples one might bring up. My mother was happy that I was happy with my first adult long-term relationship, but she didn't approve of our co-habitation.

Trust me, there was lots of biology involved there too.

o

Yabbut "separate but equal" never did work out well, did it.

o

Yabbut "separate but equal" never did work out well, did it.

Separate was / is well implemented but the equal portion failed / fails to materialize.

o

Posted by circuspeanut coastal 5 (My Page) on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:49

"Yabbut "separate but equal" never did work out well, did it."

What do you mean by that? "Equal" only really works with mathematics.

o

Exactly, Nancy.

o

What a semantic game many are playing here. So Liz is happy that her sister is a lesbian, is happy that her sister is content in her marriage, but not happy that she is a gay person who is legally married. I find this circular logic at least amusing.

o

They haven't seen or talked to each other in a year......

Liz is using her sister directly and specifically as part of an election campaign .

You just don't do that type of thing to your sister for political gain...

o

You absolutely don't use your sister as fodder for a political race. I'm sure this will come back to bite her.

o

I saw on TV today that they will not see each other at Thanksgiving. Hardly a surprise, I guess.

Liz Cheney will lose to a man who is even more ridiculous than she is. Poor Wyoming.

o

"What a semantic game many are playing here. So Liz is happy that her sister is a lesbian, is happy that her sister is content in her marriage, but not happy that she is a gay person who is legally married. I find this circular logic at least amusing."

Boggles the mind, doesn't it, Pidge?

Even worse is exploiting the personal lives of one's family members for gain... political or otherwise.

o

lily316 , I agree. "Liz is the female version of her evil old man, down to the sneer.".

o

One can be happy that one is gay, that one is happy in their relationship, but not approve of marriage for gays.

In other words, one can approve of another's relationship as long as they live by the rules you think they should. Happy they are happy in their relationship as long as they don't dare get married.

o

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 21:14

In other words, one can approve of another's relationship as long as they live by the rules you think they should. Happy they are happy in their relationship as long as they don't dare get married.

No, not in those other words--those are YOUR words.

Not mine.

And I said "one," not me, in explaining how it was possible that Cheney could be happy for her sister but not approve of the nature of the relationship.

It doesn't matter, actually.

o

Mary's being or life out of the womb till now is not someone else's situation (some get that)
Liz merely confirmed on national television and reaffirmed that the oh so ooey gooey calorie free ersatz love POLITICAL STEPFORD EMOTIONS that's been displayed previously was just that a social formula! (learned, faux, social mimicry of genuine affirming familial care) The Stuff of "Ordinary People"
Cognitive dissonance reigns supreme when your happiness is permitted to conflict with your core beliefs (no0?

PAPER OR PLASTIC? or that Plastic paper?

You have your choices the philosophy of emotions, the biology of emotions the sociology of emotions, Do you even believe such things exist?

"People tend to seek consistency in their beliefs and perceptions. So what happens when one of our beliefs conflicts with another previously held belief? The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance."

o

Andrew Sullivan's take, which sums it up:

For quite a while now, the GOP has lived with a rather spectacular contradiction over homosexuality. It was perhaps best summed up by the split between George W Bush and Dick Cheney in 2004 over the federal marriage amendment. Bush backed the amendment -- you can read my real-time response that day here -- and Cheney didn’t. So on a major issue of social policy -- one on which the 2004 election was waged in Ohio -- the ticket was split. Well: not so split. Bush -- we were led to believe -- was not exactly energized on this subject. His wife and daughters all backed marriage equality. In his personal life, Bush wasn’t a hater or a man lacking in empathy. Far from it. But Rove knew the base, and knew what could deliver it. So, with the aid of his then-closeted campaign honcho, Ken Mehlman, Rove won Ohio. With Ohio, he won Bush’s re-election.

Ask yourself: on what ticket in living memory did a president and vice-president publicly disagree on an issue that was critical to winning the election? And there you see the clash. Republican elites had gay friends, offspring and key aides. Yet the Republican base continued to view gays as some kind of threat to the family. The electoral math won. I remember -- those were the days -- when I was invited to meet Rove in the White House early in the first Bush term, and pressed the case against the FMA, or any variant thereof. Rove simply told me that there were many more Christianists than homos, and that mathematical reality dwarfed any arguments, however meritorious. It wasn’t the first time I had seen utter cynicism on this issue in high places -- it was hard to beat the Clintons for that. But the baldness of the cynicism -- the reflexive refusal even to address the actual rights and wrongs of the matter -- was never better expressed than by Rove.

Cheney got a pass -- but he shouldn’t have. He boldly came out for marriage equality explicitly … in 2009. In the vice-presidential debate of 2004, he bristled --as did the public -- at being confronted by the fact that he was hurting his own family on this issue. But at some point, the contradictions -- and their deep moral consequences -- had to emerge. And now they have in full bloom. Liz Cheney, not a homophobe in my personal memory, is nonetheless opposing her sister’s right to marry -- anywhere. Actually, she is in favor of her sister and her wife being stripped of all legal protections the moment they come into their family’s home state. Let me put this more clearly: Liz Cheney is attacking her sister’s dignity and civil equality, in order to advance her political career. In a word, it’s disgusting.

It’s not made any better by Liz Cheney’s response:

I love my sister and her family and have always tried to be compassionate towards them. I believe that is the Christian way to behave.

To which I would like to respond on behalf of Mary and Heather and the rest of us: f*ck your compassion. Just give your sister the basic equality and security for her own family that you have for yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: full blog here

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 9:55

This reminds me of the video I saw where a "man on the street" asked people "so when did you decide to be straight"? Wish I had a link to it ... the look on people's faces is priceless.

I love all the people in my life unconditionally ... because I know what it is like to have family that "loves you only if".

My father used to say "love me, love my dog", never knew what that meant till I got older. He gave me unconditional love.

I had a "liz" in my life.

o

Another take on this is what's Mary & her wife so upset about?
It's not like they are planning to visit Jamaica, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Uganda, Senegal or any other number of places where they might be in peril.
A little public commentary on you & your wife & family big deal why did you have to go say anything!
(Even my closest heterosexual friends can't imagine the curious uneasiness that comes along with this kind door prize of birth)
Let people say generalized things about you whats the big freaking deal!

o

"Let people say generalized things about you whats the big freaking deal!"

That happens on HT all too often. Mind if I use this line of yours next time I see it? Or is it only okay to use this line when we're talking about issues concerning gay rights?

o

Ow my ankles are bleeding!

o

Always a good sign :-)

o

"Just give your sister the basic equality and security for her own family that you have for yours."

And that should be that.

But even back in the day, the issue was exploited for political gain... how callous to use the math, the minority number, as though it were a step on a ladder, instead of the exploitation and discrimination of actual living, breathing, deserving human beings?!

Way back when "the church", or whomever, decided that what was, in reality, a natural part of the human race was somehow immoral and unnatural, the "ick factor" was born... and it's been kept alive in the minds of those who are ignorant, fearful of difference, bigoted, or have specific agendas to tend to.

I fully support equality because I know in my mind and in my heart that I am no more special, no more worthy or entitled or deserving, and no different as a human being than Joe, Edd, or anyone else. We all deserve the same freedoms, rights, liberties, considerations, courtesies, everything. And to treat some people, by law, as undeserving or different, is wrong. Plain and simple.

o

Just give your sister the basic equality and security for her own family that you have for yours.

Liz doesn't think it will resonate with Wyoming voters.

o

Pander to the base. Pander to the basest of the base.

o

Pander to your biased base and then proceed to ruin what should be the most important thing in your life...your family. I doubt holidays will be pleasant around the Cheney household for a long time to come. I said that Liz is the evil spawn of her hateful rotten to the core father , and someone who lives out there informed me Lynn Cheney is as miserable as the old man. When Liz the carpetbagger moved in , Lynn tried to get support from an old political friend and had a complete screaming meltdown when informed he was supporting her opponent.

o

"When Liz the carpetbagger moved in , Lynn tried to get support from an old political friend and had a complete screaming meltdown when informed he was supporting her opponent."

I'm confused at that statement. Lynn had a "complete screaming meltdown"?

o

What's so hard to understand Elvis? Yes, Lynn had a public screaming fit which was observed last year when an old political family friend would not support Liz. Is that clear enough for you?

o

Lilly your ankles bleeding!

o

"Pander to the base. Pander to the basest of the base."

If you want to get elected in this country, you've got to do that.

Hay

o

•Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 2:27

"What's so hard to understand Elvis? Yes, Lynn had a public screaming fit which was observed last year when an old political family friend would not support Liz. Is that clear enough for you?"

Yes, lily. Thanks for the courteous reply. I wondered why you would portray Lynn as emotionally out of control.

o

Ripe as she is for it, Lynn Cheney has been undeservedly left to languish by the political satire community. I'm still waiting on the reprint of that hot lesbian Western novel she wrote, lo these many years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sisters

o

She, Lynn Cheney, told former Senator Alan Simpson (R-Wy) to "Shut your mouth" when he spoke about supporting Enzi and not Liz. Wasn't there so I don't know if she was screaming, but the Guardian says Lynn was "snappish".

o

I of course wasn't there either, and got this second hand on FB from a person who said she was there. Thanks for clarifying who the person was, because I couldn't find it again when I looked. As I recall, Lynn said.. I can't believe it, Liz campaigned for you when she was six years old.

o

lily: "As I recall, Lynn said.. I can't believe it, Liz campaigned for you when she was six years old."

That was "a complete screaming meltdown." Okay!

o

Oh.

So no one can confirm that Lynn Cheney "had a complete screaming meltdown."

Sure sounded good, didn't it?

Mmm Mmm MM

o

More like a shouting meltdown with Simpson, and you can't prove she didn't.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 15:03

Let's ask her.

Shall I call?

o

Nannernannernanner.

From the OP: "Liz is certainly entitled to her opinion but were it me and any member of my family. "Don't come to my home smile in my face & tell me how happy you are for me!"

Yes; some pretty hairy family dynamics there; poor Mrs. Richard Cheney. ;-(

o

Simpsons respond to 'shut up' controversy

No, not those Simpsons (although it would be much more entertaining); Alan Simpson and his wife.

o

Lily, demi’s pettiness sometimes knows no bounds. I am again left shaking my head in disbelief.

o

Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 16:58

Lily, demi’s pettiness sometimes knows no bounds. I am again left shaking my head in disbelief.

Lily accuses Lynn Cheney of something she can't prove.

I asked her if she wants to find out the truth and I'm the one that's "petty?"

Your post is petty, pidge.
Petty Pidge.

o

Post removed.

This post was edited by pidge on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 7:16

o

Good decision.

o

Pidge, believe me , I know. Smart move on your part. Some people make absolutely no sense and yet continue to have the last word still seeking attention. Then when people get on them about it, they whine about being picked on. It's really kinda pathetic, isn't it?

o

I think that Nancy's post of 15:54 is proof enough that indeed Lynne Cheney did have a screaming meltdown. At least that is what I would call a grown woman yelling three times...shut up ..shut up... shut up....at a public dinner function.

Maybe I just have a different idea how well mannered people should behave.

o

Well mannered indeed, lecturing and judging and insulting people online about their personal beliefs.

Well mannered my foot.

o

Pot calling the kettle black.

o

??????

Is that an acknowledgment that in fact Lily was correct with regards to Lynne Cheney's meltdown?

o

Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 13:33

Pot calling the kettle black.

On cue.

I sure hope I don't get grouchy and mean.

o

"Is that an acknowledgment that in fact Lily was correct with regards to Lynne Cheney's meltdown?"

Chase, do you really care? Looks to me like you're just egging people on here. In the famous words of The Hilary: "What difference does it make?"

o

That's Hillary - with a double "l". That little bit of precision probably makes little difference.

Also, does it matter that Liz Cheney is likely to lose big in Wyoming even without Alan Simpson?

o

Where is Wyoming, anyway? Is it the capital of Canada?

o

But you already are, Demi. Never will admit you're wrong, do you?

Keep on tap-dancing.

o

Elvis, I am not egging anyone on.....and yes I do care.

What I care about is that someone is basically called a liar for not providing proof of a comment and yet when the proof is presented it is ignored.

...and now it's not even important! If it wasn't
important than why did you and Demi question it?

o

"Where is Wyoming, anyway? Is it the capital of Canada?"

Wonder if anyone might think that is egging someone on......

o

I thought it was someone just playing the fool for the amusement of some on the forum.

o

"If it wasn't important than why did you and Demi question it?"

I'll save you the backtracking for my answer:

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 18:40

"When Liz the carpetbagger moved in , Lynn tried to get support from an old political friend and had a complete screaming meltdown when informed he was supporting her opponent."

I'm confused at that statement. Lynn had a "complete screaming meltdown"?

____

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 11:32

"What's so hard to understand Elvis? Yes, Lynn had a public screaming fit which was observed last year when an old political family friend would not support Liz. Is that clear enough for you?"

Yes, lily. Thanks for the courteous reply. I wondered why you would portray Lynn as emotionally out of control.
____

That's why. Again (sigh).

As far as the rest of the rhetoric went, lily described the event as, well "a complete screaming meltdown." No one implied that lily was actually lying, who cares. The fine point is that her description was not to be taken seriously (goes to credibility); it was a gross exaggeration, obviously. That's all there was to it, as far as I'm concerned.

o

According to a person who was present at this event, Lynn Cheney was loud and shouting shut up numerous times. This GOP woman posted her remarks on Facebook. I was not exaggerating. Just reporting what I read from someone who WAS there...AND a Republican to boot.

o

We don't want Ted Cruz back and we don't want Wyoming either. Really, the only thing we want that you guys have is Hawaii (well, effective Dec. 2).

o

"Really, the only thing we want that you guys have is Hawaii (well, effective Dec. 2)."

What's up with Hawaii, or is that a new thread subject? You know about the shopping carts, right?

o

I doubt blfenton will be pushing one.

o

"I doubt blfenton will be pushing one."

;-D

o

Well mannered indeed, lecturing and judging and insulting people online about their personal beliefs.

Well mannered my foot.

Ha! That's funny. I guess Petty Pidge is well mannered in your book?

Unbelievable. Again.

By the way, where's the acknowledgment that lily was right?

o

I've read the article linked by Chase several times. I still can't see where anyone but Lilly's second hand Facebook source says there was any shouting and that there was a meltdown.

Lilly, I'm sorry but I don't accept second hand information via Facebook as a credible source.

o

"By the way, where's the acknowledgment that lily was right?"

Let's replay from the top of this tempest:

•Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 14:46

Pander to your biased base and then proceed to ruin what should be the most important thing in your life...your family. I doubt holidays will be pleasant around the Cheney household for a long time to come. I said that Liz is the evil spawn of her hateful rotten to the core father , and someone who lives out there informed me Lynn Cheney is as miserable as the old man. When Liz the carpetbagger moved in , Lynn tried to get support from an old political friend and had a complete screaming meltdown when informed he was supporting her opponent.

NOTE: "and had a complete screaming meltdown when informed he was supporting her opponent."

____

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 18:40

"I'm confused at that statement. Lynn had a "complete screaming meltdown"?"

______

What's so hard to understand Elvis? Yes, Lynn had a public screaming fit which was observed last year when an old political family friend would not support Liz. Is that clear enough for you?

NOTE: "Yes, Lynn had a public screaming fit which was observed last year"

_____

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 11:32

"Yes, lily. Thanks for the courteous reply. I wondered why you would portray Lynn as emotionally out of control."

At this point, peanut injected some much-needed levity. Duluth chimed in:

•Posted by duluthinbloomz4 zone 4a (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 13:59

"She, Lynn Cheney, told former Senator Alan Simpson (R-Wy) to "Shut your mouth" when he spoke about supporting Enzi and not Liz. Wasn't there so I don't know if she was screaming, but the Guardian says Lynn was "snappish"."

Note; "She, Lynn Cheney, told former Senator Alan Simpson (R-Wy) to "Shut your mouth"

"the Guardian says Lynn was "snappish"."

______-

•Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 14:17

"I of course wasn't there either, and got this second hand on FB from a person who said she was there. Thanks for clarifying who the person was, because I couldn't find it again when I looked. As I recall, Lynn said.. I can't believe it, Liz campaigned for you when she was six years old."

NOTE: "I of course wasn't there either, and got this second hand on FB from a person who said she was there...As I recall, Lynn said.. I can't believe it, Liz campaigned for you when she was six years old."

_____-

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 14:23

"That was "a complete screaming meltdown." Okay!"

____

This is where demi enters:

•Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 14:58

"Oh. So no one can confirm that Lynn Cheney "had a complete screaming meltdown." Sure sounded good, didn't it? Mmm Mmm MM"

-________-

•Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 15:32

Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 15:03

Let's ask her.

Shall I call?

________-

NOTE: "More like a shouting meltdown"

______

At this point, I mock them both, and steer back to OP:

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 15:33

"Nannernannernanner.
From the OP: "Liz is certainly entitled to her opinion but were it me and any member of my family. "Don't come to my home smile in my face & tell me how happy you are for me!"

Yes; some pretty hairy family dynamics there; poor Mrs. Richard Cheney. ;-( "

_______

Now nancy hops in with proof that lily's original statement is accurate (except it doesn't prove that at all, alas):

From nancy's link: "... And then Lynne Cheney said, “Oh, I’ve heard enough of that and I don’t want to hear anymore. I just want to tell you something, ‘Shut up ��" just shut up ��" shut up.’” Three times."

NOTE: :...Lynne Cheney said, “Oh, I’ve heard enough of that ..."

"Said." Not "screamed." No meltdown observed, at least not by the person who was actually there.

So. Back to the question: "By the way, where's the acknowledgment that lily was right?"

In light of the above, you've got to be kidding.

o

Jhug, I didn't link to any source with regard to this matter

.....but it is clear to me that Mrs Cheney did in fact act out with regards to her friends endorsement of her daughters opponent. Others Ares welcome to believe what they want.

o

Jhug, I didn't link to any source with regard to this matter

.....but it is clear to me that Mrs Cheney did in fact act out with regards to her friends endorsement of her daughters opponent. Others Ares welcome to believe what they want.

o

Sorry, Chase. I meant Nancy not you. My apologies.

Yes, she did respond to her friends' support of her daughter's opponent but I still don't see anything that indicates that there was a screaming meltdown other than in Lilly's posts.

o

Yea, guess I better call Lynne and find out the truth.

Or maybe I can get someone's cousin who knows someone who knows someone on Facebook that knows it's true!

o

I know two people who need to get a life. Kinda pathetic.

o

And if any of us who have questioned that there was a "screaming meltdown" had posted a "fact" and gave the source as "second hand information form Facebook", we would have been raked over the coals.

This post was edited by jlhug on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 5:00

o

Call Lynn Cheney’s behavior what you will--as if that is so crucial that we have to spend a ridiculous number of posts on nitpicking Lily’s terminology--Lynn Cheney acted badly on learning that her witchy daughter had not gained the support of a friend she had assumed would be in her corner--the witchy daughter’s, I mean.

I expect now to be told to “prove” that Liz Cheney is a witch. Please.

o

Exactly, pidge. The woman did not act appropriately. I would refer to someone telling me to "shut up" 3 times a melt down. I suppose others may not. But, the taunting behavior of people on this forum, particularly demi since she is the one aften accusing others of taunting, is so childish I don't even know what to say.

o

lol, Jill, I keep hearing the schoolyard voice of a fourth grader!

o

•Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 11:26

"lol, Jill, I keep hearing the schoolyard voice of a fourth grader!"

Me, too. Hopefully all of us catch that. That does, at times apply to you pidge, and jill, and me and many of the rest of us. We also have the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th graders and so on. Must be part of the fun; we sure do it often enough. Prove me wrong--double dare you.

Too bad we can't get little circles when we dot our "i's"

o

And you're the worse offender.

o

lily: "You're the worse offender."

You think? Well, my grammar is better, and anger management is not an issue for me. So there.

o

Very debatable your grammar is better, but you are the snarkiest one by far, for sure. All you are here for is to inflame and keep re posting ad nauseum what everyone said as if we can't read. You must not have much of a life, and if you have a job, I wonder if your employer knows you spend your days here.

o

"You must not have much of a life, and if you have a job, I wonder if your employer knows you spend your days here."

How kind of you to wonder about such personal, irrelevant matters concerning me. But since I am a public servant when on duty, I will give you peace of mind by advising that I'm on vacation. I have lots to use before the EOY. You'll be thrilled to know that I could be around 24/7, if I don't stop and do other things. Yahoo!

o

Lily, I suggest SOB. Elvis is the champion ankle biter. I’m going to pull up my socks and move on.

o

Good advice, Pidge.

o

Haha--only after shoving bare feet in someone's face~

o

That was crude, demi.

o

If they smell like popcorn, it's not so bad ;-)

o

That idiot from NOM Maggie Gallagher has suggested the 2 sisters are in cahoots with each other!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yadda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here