Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bu bu bu but we were on YOUR side....

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 20:19

Last week's exit of controversial WSPD-AM 1370 talk-radio host Brian Wilson follows a yearlong pattern of dismissals, layoffs, and corporate maneuvering by Clear Channel Communications Inc. that has sent scores of people to the unemployment line.

Clear Channel, the largest radio station operator in the country, is partially owned by Bain Capital, which is the company founded and previously run by former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Debt-ridden Clear Channel, headquartered in San Antonio, has been quietly pruning its corporate structure since late 2011.

On-air talent and behind-the-scenes employees have been shown the door or programming has been eliminated in markets that include Los Angeles, Boston, Tampa, San Diego, Madison, Wis., Springfield, Mo., Oklahoma City, Nashville, and, most recently, Toledo.

"Obviously they are trying to pay down their monster debt with Bain Capital," said Tommy Butter, who was laid off from top-40 station WRVW-FM in Nashville in March. "Obviously, they are trying to fire their way to pay that debt down." snip

Bain Capital and Thomas H. Lee Partners, two private-equity firms, finalized their $26.7 billion purchase of Clear Channel in July, 2008, loading the company with debt. According to Clear Channel's Nov. 2 filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company had $16.4 billion in debt.

The company's debt must be repaid throughout the decade and comes due as soon as 2014. The 2008 sale was the catalyst for thousands of layoffs as Clear Channel restructured. snip

Clear Channel has been strategically firing employees in small numbers so it doesn't appear that the company is undergoing large-scale layoffs, he said, adding that it would have looked bad for Mr. Romney if his former company fired Clear Channel's workers en masse."

snip end quote.

I'm sure that I speak for many on the forum when I say that our hearts go out to all the right wing noise machine radio hosts who have lost their livelihoods while enriching Bain Capital.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mommy? Is this an example of

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bu bu bu but we were on YOUR side....

Ohhh! There may just be justice after all. At least just desserts. Romney Model of "saving" a company by loading it with debt, dumping physical assets and employees and declare some form of bankruptcy to protect itself against creditors.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 20:47

"karma"

o

yeah, karma. alot of talk radio hosts now unemployed.

Those radio hosts, they sure got what they deserved, right ohiomom?

o

Karma for sure. Sit behind a mike and talk about the takers. What you put out will come knocking on your door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow the trail

o

From marquest's link:

the movement to hold Limbaugh accountable continues to grow, and in the only recent audience analysis (of streaming audience share) to have been released, Limbaugh has been knocked out of first place, and has seen audience share decrease by nearly fifty percent.

Couldn't happen to a better guy!

o

the more I think of it, ohiomom...It's the exact same kind of karma that caused you to lose that previous job of yours. You deserved it.

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 21:56

Clear Channel got in bed with Bain, so yes Karma.

Thank you JMC

o

ohiomom, you are claaaassy.

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 22:39

Not really Marquest ... sometimes we type things without giving thought to our words and I am sure that there are people who got and/or will get laid off that do not sit in the same type of seat as Rush. I have regretted words spoken in haste in the past and as much as I strive to be careful with my words, I am sure I will fail again.

And when I get on HT I always wear my big girl panties (^_^)

o

You wear those panties well.

o

Still, JMC's remark was completely uncalled for.

o

"News talk stations owned by Clear Channel usually have a standard slate of hosts. The morning show is usually local, with other timeslots filled by local and syndicated hosts. Programs that appear on many Clear Channel talk stations include the Glenn Beck Program - getting his talk show start at Clear Channel owned WFLA (AM) in Tampa, The Rush Limbaugh Show, The Sean Hannity Show, America Now with Andy Dean and Coast to Coast AM, all of which are affiliated with Premiere Radio Networks in some fashion. The Mark Levin Show and The Dave Ramsey Show are non-Premiere shows who air on many (if not most) Clear Channel stations, as did The Savage Nation prior to its ending in September 2012. Limbaugh is almost universally carried on Clear Channel stations in markets where the company has a news talk station .....

Savage Nation has fallen to the greed of Bain Capital. My God may punish me for my happy little schadenfreude dance.

o

Still, JMC's remark was completely uncalled for.

But it gave Ohiomom a opportunity to show that she was a better person, Karma ya know.

David, the worm turns. It was only a matter of time. Hate wears thin it is not a daily enjoyable diet for most. Rush and his pales use to be a joke. When he and the others started to become taken serious and not the Star tabloid rag that they are it had to change. It is not America.

I remember we use to turn Rush on in the office to laugh at him. It was like picking up the Star at the grocery store and front page was about the aliens had landed on earth. It was for laughter not to be taken serious. No one thought what Rush or any of these entertainment shows should be taken serious about political, financial, and health issues.

o

If any of the laid-off radio hosts were on air defending the "job creators" of Bain during the Romney era, this should be a wake-up call for them.

o

ohiomom - I've always found your posts to be thoughtful and respectful - not sure what jmc meant, but I do think it was in bad taste.

I wish the employees of Clear channel well during this tough time. But my good wishes do not include the on air personalities, most of which spew hate in my opinion. In that case I agree with with ohiomom - what goes around comes around, or karma.

o

Karma sure is a b!tch. I would love it so much if our clear channel right wingnut host would get canned. You know the one who said he'd like to drive to NYC and bomb the Times building. On our clear channel station it's right wing crap 24/7 and some very scary people call in. You have Beck all morning, then Rush for three hours, then local guy for three, and then Hannity and someone who took the complete whack job Savage's place. It's HATE radio. The topic du jour was Impeach Obama. I wish them all the worst , those who stoop so low to facilitate the spread of hate on a daily basis. .

o

It's one of the first things I learned when I was little... what we do always comes backs to us, so do what's right and good.

In fact, I'm still smiling from ear to ear... unrelated to politics or Bain... but I just had a huge piece of great karma fall in my lap yesterday. It pays better dividends to be good and decent. :-)

As a footnote - I've always found Ohiomom to be classy. And she just showed what that word truly means.

o

"It's HATE radio." snip " I wish them all the worst , those who stoop so low to facilitate the spread of hate on a daily basis. "

Lily, regardless to the many times I see it in your posts on HT, the manner in which you condemn hate in others out one side of your mouth (shall we say the left) while vigorously spewing that same hate you're condemning others of out of the other side of your mouth (shall we say the right) still amazes me. If it weren't so pathetic, it would almost be humorous.

o

For the ardent partisan, no hypocrisy need be acknowledged.

o

jodi, I don't believe that any more. Too many bad things happen to people like you, me, Elly, Ohiomom, others, when really, we try so hard to do what is right and good. I don't think deserve I what has happened to be in the past five years on top of what I suffered in my childhood. No way did I ever deserve that! I'm not saying I'm perfect, no, not by any stretch, but nothing as bad as to have suffered what I have. I would like to think what goes around comes back, but it doesn't always. I live by the motto, one doesn't get more than they can handle. It's why strong people like we all are, survive, <>I>despite what comes. Stay strong!

o

I'm still trying to learn that. I'm listening ;)

o

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 10:00

jodi, I don't believe that any more. Too many bad things happen to people like you, me, Elly, Ohiomom, others, when really, we try so hard to do what is right and good. I don't think deserve I what has happened to be in the past five years on top of what I suffered in my childhood. No way did I ever deserve that! I'm not saying I'm perfect, no, not by any stretch, but nothing as bad as to have suffered what I have. I would like to think what goes around comes back, but it doesn't always. I live by the motto, one doesn't get more than they can handle. It's why strong people like we all are, survive, <>I>despite what comes. Stay strong!

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Rob.

Funny how that "karma" works, isn't it?

The rules of of "karma" for those that believe in it:

--When something good happens to you, it's karma coming back to you for the good things you've done in your life.

--When something bad happens to you, it's not karma coming back to you for the bad things you've done in your life, it's just bad luck.

--When something good happens to someone else, it's because they were handed life on a silver platter or cheated or otherwise don't deserve the good things in their life.

--When something bad happens to someone else, it's karma.

Ummm Hmmmm.

o

Demi that is not how I see Karma. When I say Karma I think of it as "Everything is Karma".

Bad things happen to everyone. When I say Karma it is you get what you put out. When bad happens and you have put good Karma into the universe the best comes to you through the bad. You put bad Karma into the universe when the bad comes the bad comes back to your life. That is my life experience.

So everyone has Karma good and bad. I do not think there is anyone living can say they have not done something bad. I do not think anyone will leave this life without paying for that Karma they put out in the universe. It may not be today but it will come.

You pay for what you say and do in life. JMO

o

No way did I deserve, at very young ages, to be neglected by a single parent who was a practicing alcoholic, nor did I deserve it when she went through recovery (thank you God! So many people never have that wish granted) or that she's still sober 30+ years. I didn't deserve losing a child (fetus for some of y'all, but for me, they were human, real, and connected to me) at Christmas time 19 years ago. To add insult to that injury, instead, the placenta became the material for which a tumor, which threatened to spread throughout my body, was my prize. No way did I deserve the bank foreclosing on my home because I wouldn't sell it for the same price after the housing market crashed, bottomed out, and would never have sold for it had the market not crashed since it got flooded. I also didn't deserve a flooded car. I don't deserve my sweet and kind son who loves me unconditionally. Or to still have both of my parents living. To have caring friends and great coworkers who make life fun and productive.

I worked hard in school. Made good grades, made good choices, treated my parents, teachers, and friends with kindness and respect. I was never late or absent and particpated. I went to work right out of high school and did the same at work. I worked and went to university at the same time. I pay my bills on time and live with as respectful a nature as I can within my society. Do I err? Yes, I don't give enough money to those who need it just as much as I do. I wish I could give more! I don't give my time like I should. I am sometimes grumpy. But to the level of the things I've gone through? Nope.

There is no deserving. And I'm betting many more "good people" have similar stories. To say Karma is served and deserved is to judge another person. Too many stones being thrown when there is just as much sin from the ones throwing the stones. We are all just human and just living our lives.

o

Rob you are still standing. You are not dead yet. I do believe the Karma does go both ways bad and good.

I think what is mistaken is Karma is a punishment for bad. Karma is the end result of life itself in totality.

o

In that case, I'm ready to win the lottery!

o

There is no deserving. And I'm betting many more "good people" have similar stories. To say Karma is served and deserved is to judge another person. Too many stones being thrown when there is just as much sin from the ones throwing the stones. We are all just human and just living our lives.

Rob, you are so, so right.

Blessings to you and I'm proud of you.

I am sorry you lost your baby--I, too, suffered a miscarriage on Christmas Eve.

Karma--nah.

Just life.

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 11:41

How about this?

The American public will be better off with less hate and ignorance being spewed daily on the radio. I know in my market (Houston), it was hard to find good music without also getting a daily dose of ignorance and Obama-bashing. I had to turn the radio off --

o

I agree Rob,there is no deserving. I will be going to a funeral tonight of my cousin's wife who was the sweetest, kindest person who loved life and did so much for others. There are so many stories repeated every day, so no, karma really doesn't happen.

Brat , why don't you ask me if I give a rats ass about what you think about me? I know what I feel about you. Clear Channel is one of the prime reasons the hate in this country is so strong. Years ago we didn't have the constant barrage 24/7. This radio station has nothing redeemable. ..no music, no info shows...all hate. Four years ago Hannity started his Stop Obama Express, and Rush said let's spend the next four years getting him to fail. And people like you keep it going.

o

Rush said let's spend the next four years getting him to fail

Actually, I don't think that's what Rush said.

I think what he said was, "I hope Obama fails."

He said that because he knew what Obama's policies were, Obama had told us.

They didn't fail, Obama's policies were enacted.

We now have more people dependent on food stamps then when Obama was elected in 2008, we have billions more in debt, we have rampant unemployment, and we have companies going out of business and people about to lose their health care because employer sponsored health care is being discontinued for many people.

That's why Rush said he hoped Obama failed.

Because Obama did not fail, this is what we have.

Granted, we have a few things that are better--like not denying health care because of preexisting conditions and discontinuing the limits on amounts paid for illnesses.

Osama Bin Laden is dead. Of course Obama didn't do that, but it was under his watch so I'll give him credit.

Hmmm. Let's see.

Would that be a fair trade?

I think not.

o

Yes and the market crashed and people lost their homes under Bush so they had to go on food stamps. So we will give Bush credit for that and the reason President Obama was re-elected because people that can read and follow the markets know what door to place the credit.

I thank God that those kids have food stamps and do not have to go hungry because of the policies and economy crash because of that Bush credit.

o

Those radio hosts, they sure got what they deserved, right ohiomom?

Well, if they're right-wing crap-stirrers, they sure did.

-Ron-

o

Demi here is a FACT CHECK for you so you can stop repeating Fox News stupid False statements. It may make you feel good but try some truth if you want to be creditable and not the low educated, drug addict Rush and Newt the cheater.

But Gingrich goes too far to say Obama has put more on the rolls than other presidents. We asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition service for month-by-month figures going back to January 2001. And they show that under President George W. Bush the number of recipients rose by nearly 14.7 million. Nothing before comes close to that.

And under Obama, the increase so far has been 14.2 million. To be exact, the program has so far grown by 444,574 fewer recipients during Obama's time in office than during Bush's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush Food Stamp President

o

David, you find the best articles. Thank you!

Being an Independent, my vote was not necessarily for Obama, but it surely was against Romney and the Reps.
I don't believe that the 2 current parties represent my views.

However,I found Romney to be dangerous in his views, actions and lies. According to his life and his website there would be no middle class. I'll give him credit for learning and having the backing to manipulate Wallstreet, and open/shut businesses, because that took a lot of b@lls.
I just couldn't fathom how his "businesses" would translate into creating jobs, and keeping jobs in the USA.
His plan on his website was bunk. It wouldn't work for a minute.

Everybody knows that first there must be a DEMAND, in order to fill it with a SUPPLY. You cannot just have radio stations(supply) without a demand. This is a perfect example how trickle down doesn't work.

David,
You seem like a very intelligent person. What's a GOOD stock to buy? I cannot afford hedge funds. lol

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 12:45

"Demi here is a FACT CHECK for you so you can stop repeating Fox News stupid False statements"

Stop it, Marquest.

I haven't repeated ANY "Fox news" "false" statements.

My comments are my own.

Stop saying I have done something I HAVE NOT DONE.

HERE is a FACT CHECK FOR YOU:

THIS is what I said:

"We now have more people dependent on food stamps then when Obama was elected in 2008"

That is a FACT Marquest.

You have egg on your face going to all the trouble to "disprove" something I never said in the first place.

This tells me you don't read my posts, don't care to read them and have a personal agenda to just cause trouble by lying about what I said and then post to address your own lies instead of what I posted.

I would like to think that you aren't that sloppy with accuracy, but you are just apparently that foaming at the mouth to accuse any conservative of something that you don't quote people correctly and don't even bother to read and comprehend what they say and falsely accuse people of stances they don't take.

Gee, where have I mentioned that before, HUH?

What I said was a FACT and your little post afterwards looks stupid in light of the fact that what I said IS TRUE.

o

If you search "food stamp president" in Google, you'll find a wealth of echoes within the right-wing noise machine, plus a few fact-checkers proving Gingrich's claim is wrong.

We're all original thinkers here!

o

Thank you for your "baby" comment demi ((hugs to you))

o

Demi read the link. You are wrong. It has been repeated so much that people believe it to be true.

Read the links. Do a search for yourself. Look at the non-political statistics.

But bottom line for me if one woman/man/child does not go hungry I do not care who gets Food Stamps, or which President had the highest number of feeding the poor. It is food for goodness sake. I am not going to make myself feel good because I begrudge someone for having food on their table.

There has to be a limit of what I have to rage about and someone getting food is to low.

o

Goodness is its' own reward, whether or not the reverse is true.

Hey, shouldn't we be thanking Bain Capital for the demise of all that rabble rousing nonsense? How do we KEEP those nuts off the air?

o

Marquest, there you go again.

You are making arrogant assumptions about where my information comes from and you are DEAD WRONG.

Try looking up the information from the Department of Agriculture and you will see that more people have received food stamps this past year than the year Obama took office.

I don't know of anyone that would deprive anyone of a meal if they were hungry.

But with government programs subsidizing, underwriting, or promulgating that people get free or reduced cost housing, free medical care, free innoculations, free transportation,
free cell phone service, free lunches, free breakfast, free after school care, and free food from food stamps--people don't have a reason to want to get out of bed in the morning and care for themselves and their families.

I worked food stamp fraud cases with an agent from Temple, Texas, and I KNOW what kind of fraud goes on. Additionally, I've seen how food stamps are abused.

My point was and is--that so many people are DEPENDENT on food stamps--more than when Obama took office.

o

"I worked food stamp fraud cases with an agent from Temple, Texas, and I KNOW what kind of fraud goes on"

With all due respect that was quite a long time ago. I'm not sure you can use the present tense. Perhaps it would be better to say "I knew what went on back then...."

o

Hey Marquest, who is "they?"

Been taking lessons from someone?

o

I agree with Rob also. Karma is a real nice idea tho. Probably works to keep certain types in line who otherwise might not behave.

Let's see now. What other business do we want Bain to get hold of?

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 17:33

"I worked food stamp fraud cases with an agent from Temple, Texas, and I KNOW what kind of fraud goes on"

With all due respect that was quite a long time ago. I'm not sure you can use the present tense. Perhaps it would be better to say "I knew what went on back then...."

With all due respect, I still keep up with these things.

Just can't quit digging at it, can you, Chase?

Let it go!

You can't win.

There's nothing to win.

I have my say.

You have your say.

Let it be.

o

" I don't deserve my sweet and kind son who loves me unconditionally."

He must get that from his mom. I must disagree with you Rob...you absolutely deserve that little boy.

o

lavender, you make me feel good. I needed it especially after a huge disappointment late yesterday evening. Thank you.

o

Yeah, hugs from this grandpa for a job well done: loving your child and life is doing your job of living right.

o

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 8:09

lavender, you make me feel good. I needed it especially after a huge disappointment late yesterday evening. Thank you.

Thanks for your earlier hugs and ((( ))) from me, as well.
I'm sorry you had a huge disappointment.

You are determined and tenacious and have a positive spirit.
I think your son is very, very fortunate to have you for a mom. ;)

o

you're too kind! I still don't deserve the kindness. But I fully appreciate it! Life is full of disappointments. Friends make it all right.

o

Rob, I don't buy into the idea of Karma as Jodi sees it either - it requires too much 'magical thinking' to me.
However, everyone embraces certain basic ideas and attitudes in life and that is good, it is what makes each of us survive life. She embraces the idea of karma, everyone else embraces different sorts of ideas of how things work in life, including a deep and abiding faith in a God. Everyone tries to find something that will bring them comfort and strength and I say go for it. Whatever works - as long as it does not negatively affect another person or intrude in or upon another's life, go with what will bring you comfort and survivability.
However, I do believe that a sort of basic "karma", if you will, can often thread through relationships throughout one's life.
The idea that "the love you make is the love you take" seems to be true, very generally speaking. People who displayed loving care, interest and concern for the people around them in their lives seem to have fuller, more generous and more loving people around them that those people who are more demanding or difficult, rigid and judgemental within loving relationships or loving friendships.

This is just an observation I've made in my life, certainly not fact. Some people, through no fault of their own, have trauma filled lives. They may end up not having friendships or loving relationships worthy of them - They migjt have a lousy start and all their lives struggle to maintain some sort of quiet dignity in their lives even though outside forces might work against them always.
It's not right and it's not fair but it simply is.
I am no more deserving of my comfortable life than is that child of drug addled, drunken parents is deserving of his life.
We have to be grateful for the good things and good people in our lives and treasure them for the actual treasures that they are.

Though I support a woman's right to choose and do not believe that a human being exists at the moment of conception - I also had your experience several times, once very very late in the time line. It would not surprise me, Robb, if many (maybe most) women who are pro-choice have suffered this, it is a common condition to women of child bearing years.
Speaking only for myself and my life's experience, I have found that pro-choice women also tended to suffer and grieve - not because they felt they lost an actual child but because they lost a possibility, there is always the loss of the possiblity, especially if the possiblity was one that was desired and perhaps worked for.
This is not an issue that can be considered a black and white thing, it is as muted and complex as most things in life are.

Life can be difficult but you know, we all have that in common with everyone else around us. We all struggle, in different ways and various degrees throughout our lifetimes but, we all suffer and struggle to maintain.
It can make us better, stronger and more empathetic, sympathetic people, if we *actively* choose to let it.

From what you present here Robb, I feel you choose very well.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

o

"It's not right and it's not fair but it simply is."

I think that's person who makes me question karma. They really don't deserve that bad stuff that just happens for no good reason. We can try and be positive regardless, but there are some people I see and I just think, why? What did they ever do? Like Matt. Diagnosed at 5 with leukemia. Bad parents. Why so young has he suffered so much? It's not so much the good deserving, is my point. It's those sh-t happens times that I cannot buy into karma.

Yes, we all believe in different ideas, not wrong or right, they just are. I simply didn't care for the deserving part of it. Thank goodness we don't get what we deserve in this life.

Happy thanksgiving to you and yours too (and everyone else too!)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here