Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The GOP leadership

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 22:11

It's all white men, imagine that.

So unimaginative, so boring...so typical.

Is this the last gasp of white men? There are women and minorities in the Republican party now. Will the next generation of leaders in the GOP more closely represent the US, or as closely as the GOP dares.

Here is a link that might be useful: The man show

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The GOP leadership

momj47, it is the most brass-faced, unapologetic expression of disdain for the two groups that are the GOP's only salvation.

o

"If you're not at the table, you're on the menu"

Women, Minorities, Gay Rights have been on their menu and it will probably continue.

o

Is this really shocking, though?

o

Who would you want to have a beer with in that crowd?

o

Better retake 6 of those pictures. The flag seems to be missing from the background.

o

Well, we all know that most of you hate Republican women, so they don't have much to pick from!

o

The problem is they hate their women too.

o

Better retake 6 of those pictures. The flag seems to be missing from the background.

And need to get down to the lapels so we can check out the flag pins.

o

Your admission to hate is accepted. However, you have absolutely NO PROOF that those men hate their women.

BTW, your beloved is meeting with Mitt for lunch. Probably going to get a few tips from a businessman on what to do to bring this country back to life. :)

o

Whose buying?

o

We are. Lunch is at the White House

o

I bet Obama will ask him to take a cabinet post. Team of rivals, ya know.

o

Your admission to hate is accepted. However, you have absolutely NO PROOF that those men hate their women.

I hate that they encourage a society that would make my daughter and every woman insignificant in our society. I hate that they are not considered smart enough, worthy enough, to have a place at the table.

The picture posted is not proof enough for you? What kind of proof would be acceptable in your eyes?

If you do not know the Republican Platform I can list the women policies that is proof enough for me to know they do not think women are smart enough to exist on this planet.

o

Treasury? LOL

o

LOL, duluth. The irony would be divine.

o

I'm happy to see Michele Bachmann is not included.

Sometimes the GOP women are crazier than the men - for instance Debbie Schlussel. Here she attacks one of those pictured above -- Darrell Issa: Benghazi Hrngs Chair Supports Terrorists Who Killed US Embassy Officials, Intro'd Pro-Muslim Terrorist Legislation

o

BTW, your beloved is meeting with Mitt for lunch.

You have that wrong. Mitt was invited to lunch. It is the only way he can get into the White House he might be on the menu since he was not elected to be at the table.

o

JZ not a chance!!!!

Some sort of "czarship" perhaps...

o

"Your beloved"?

How patronizing.

o

esh, he still hasn't gotten over the election. It'll take awhile.

o

Perhaps one neeeds to do a little homework before one
starts bad mouthing all those Republican white guys...
which really sounds bias to me.

Carl Leubsdorf: Aging Democratic leaders block party's younger voices
Posted: Nov 26, 2012
Barack Obama�s re-election means that, for the next four years, the face of the Democratic Party will be its vigorous 51-year-old president.

Beyond Obama, however, the party has an increasingly geriatric leadership that is blocking the emergence of younger leaders. That�s a potential disadvantage at a time when Mitt Romney�s defeat, along with the ascendancy of younger leaders, is allowing the Republicans to move on from their aging Baby Boom generation leaders.

The problem facing the Democrats is most evident in its senior House leadership. But it�s also apparent in the Senate and in the potential pecking order of presidential prospects who hope to succeed Obama four years hence.

The issue received a brief, somewhat acrimonious airing when former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, 72, announced she would remain the top House Democratic leader, despite the party�s failure to regain the majority it held from 2007 to 2011. Pelosi bristled when NBC�s Luke Russert, citing the private views of some Democrats, asked whether "your decision to stay on prohibits the party from having a younger leadership and hurts the party in the long run."

Amid boos from female House Democrats on hand, Pelosi responded that "you always ask that question, except to Mitch McConnell," referring to the Republican Senate leader, who is 70. She went on to explain how, like other women, she only began her political career after raising her family, before responding "no" to Russert�s initial question.

Since becoming the top House Democrat, Pelosi has been a strong leader, perhaps the party�s strongest since the legendary Speaker Tip O�Neill, and a relentless fundraiser. But as a liberal Democrat representing a San Francisco district (though she grew up in Baltimore), Pelosi has been the favorite target of House Republicans. Her negative image may have contributed to the party�s decisive 2010 defeat, a problem many Democrats would like to avoid two years hence. A poll for the liberal Daily Kos in September showed her job disapproval remains about 20 points higher than her approval.

Ironically, if she stepped down, her likely successor would be Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, himself a year older at 73. And the No. 3 House Democrat is Rep. James Clyburn, of South Carolina, 72. So the problem is less Pelosi�s age than the fact the trio�s presence blocks the ascension of such well-regarded younger Democrats as Reps. Xavier Becerra, of California, 54, the new caucus chair; Debbie Wasserman Schultz, of Florida, 46, the current Democratic National Committee chairman; and Chris van Hollen, of Maryland, 53, ranking Democrat on the House Budget Committee.

In contrast, the House GOP leadership headed by Speaker John Boehner, of Ohio, 63, includes such relative youngsters as Majority Leader Eric Cantor, of Virginia, 49, Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, of California, 47, and Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, of Wisconsin, 42.

The pattern is similar, though less dramatic, in the Senate. Majority Leader Harry Reid, of Nevada is about to turn 73, and his deputy, Sen. Richard Durbin, of Illinois, turns 68 this week. Like Pelosi, Reid is more effective as an inside leader than as a public voice. That role is generally filled by Durbin and the No. 3 Democrat, Sen. Charles Schumer, of New York, 62 this Friday. Like Reid, McConnell is better at inside politics, meaning his new deputy, Sen. John Cornyn, of Texas, 60, will be a major GOP Senate spokesman.

Nationally, the Democrats� problem may be even more dramatic than in Congress. With Obama barred from running again, the two top Democratic candidates to succeed him are Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, 65, and Vice President Joe Biden, 70. Waiting in the wings are such ambitious younger Democrats as Govs. Andrew Cuomo, of New York, 54, Michael O�Malley, of Maryland, 49, and Brian Schweitzer, of Montana, 57; Sens. Amy Klobuchar, of Minnesota, 52, and Kirsten Gillibrand, of New York, 45; and Mayor Cory Booker, of Newark, N.J., 43.

In contrast, with Romney�s defeat, younger candidates will dominate the 2016 Republican field, including Ryan; Sen. Marco Rubio, of Florida, 41; Gov. Bobby Jindal, of Louisiana, 41; Gov. Chris Christie, of New Jersey, 50; and former Gov. Jeb Bush, of Florida, 59.

As the national GOP situation illustrates, defeat is often the best catalyst for a party leadership transition. But for House Democrats, two successive defeats have only made their leaders vow to try again.

Carl Leubsdorf is the former Washington bureau chief of The Dallas Morning News.

o

"In contrast, the House GOP leadership headed by Speaker John Boehner, of Ohio, 63, includes such relative youngsters as Majority Leader Eric Cantor, of Virginia, 49, Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, of California, 47, and Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, of Wisconsin, 42."

It's not how old they are chronologically, it's how old & out of date their thinking is.

This post was edited by Bothell on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 23:32

o

I don't get the ageist crap?

o

In case Demi is checking, I edited it to add a missing space between words, but I see that I missed the white spaces at the top. NOTHING was there & eliminated, just missed the empty space at the top.

o

labrea: not sure you meant my post, but just in case - It doesn't matter how youthful they are in terms of their birthdates, it does matter that they think like old men from the 1950s.

o

labrea...I wasn't sure if the Op was just picking on
white guys period.

I didn't see the point but its six of one and a half
dozen on either side when each party is lined opposite.

Each side has a smidgen of old, half dead, youth, women
etc.

I think the Op was just wanting to bash Republicans.

o

Especially white ones. No one should have to apologize for the color of their skin, no one.

o

Citywoman that article had to come from a Conservative.

Liberals do not chose our Presidential candidates from a small block of candidates. If the reporter had thought for a minute he/she might have taken into consideration that President Obama did not come from the small crop of candidates.

Conservative are hesitance to nominate upstart candidates and unknown quantities. For a conservative party, that is hardly surprising. That is how Republicans lost with McCain, Romney, and they think they are going to offer up...

Any Tea Party candidate - will not win the vote from the new majority. Their ideas are not the way the majority of America live or believe. They do not have a problem with color because they do not see color it is about the policies. They support Women's Rights. Women are not going to college to come home and cook dinner. They believe Gays have rights to love and marry who they choose.

Ryan....Mr Forceable Rape guy that could not win his state as VP

John Boehner, of Ohio, 63, - He is only good in his district and unable to be an effective Leader in the House.

Eric Cantor, of Virginia, 49, - He could not take his TeaParty ideas national. That is why Romney lost.

Kevin McCarthy, of California, 47, - Another one that would not be ale to carry his State.

Jeb Bush - will never shake his brother's legacy.

You should have watched the DNC. That is how President Obama came into the spotlight. That is how Liberals grab their candidates.
It is a new America. The old white man rule is gone and we want to forget his ideas of daddy rules to do as I say.

By the way.....How is your work for cash housekeeper?

o

marquest you aren't a Republican so why do you care how many are white or men.

My housekeeper sent you personally a message. Don't you remember?

o

Set the record straight on Wikipedia, while you're at it.

o

Uh, because they affect all of us when they vote in Congress?

o

ThinkProgress has details. "New" leadership? Snort.

Here is a link that might be useful: Source.

o

They represent codified inequality! Any of those who would vote for them also support that REPUBLICAN IDEAL.
Working on it from the inside cuts no mustard!

o

CW, after this past election the women and minorities will hold the majority of the Democratic Party's seat in the House. This is the first time that has happened but certainly won't be the last.

The diversity of the Democratic party reflects the diversity of the Nation and the Republicans better get on board with that if they ever want ti see the WH again.

o

I would agree, Joe... people in general want to see equality and unity.

o

My housekeeper sent you personally a message. Don't you remember?

CW
Why do you care that Romney is not the President? I support Diversity in our politics. The political decision makers should not be ONLY WHITE MEN or all any race or gender.

I did not get a message, Did she say both of you are paying taxes?

o

Everybody's paying taxes; never mind that it's: not on topic, not part of the discussion, not your business. Hope you get over this, marquest.

o

"Everybody's paying taxes; never mind that it's: not on topic, not part of the discussion, not your business. Hope you get over this, marquest."

Are you kidding? That is the main talking point of a few right-leaners on this site. They are shocked that people (47%) don't pay taxes. You are seeming a little hypocritical on this topic Elvis. Don't get me wrong, that does not seem to be your talking point, BUT a few on the right are obsessed by it.

o

WASHINGTON -- After taking heat for stacking House committee chair posts with all white men in the next Congress, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) appears to have found his binder full of women.

Boehner announced Friday that Rep. Candice Miller (R-Mich.) will chair the House Administration Committee -- a committee that Miller wasn't even on until now.

"In her new post, Candice will provide the leadership needed to keep operating costs down, save taxpayer dollars and help lawmakers use new technology to better engage with their constituents," Boehner said in a statement Friday.

Given that Miller wasn't on the committee before, Boehner's move is a fairly transparent response to the criticisms he took -- also from some in his own party -- for failing to tap any women or minorities for committee chair slots. Many called the all-white, all-male lineup of committee chairmanships a bad move, given that Republicans are trying to appeal to both of those groups post-election.

Neither a Boehner spokesman nor a spokeswoman for Miller responded to a request for comment on the timing behind Boehner's decision to give Miller the post.

In terms of seniority, Rep. Gregg Harper (R-Miss.) was next in line to become chair of the House Administration Committee, which means Miller will skip over him to take the helm. The committee's current chairman, Rep. Dan Lungren (R-Calif.), lost in the November election.

A Democratic leadership aide, speaking on background, seemed amused by Boehner's move.

"The Grand Old Patriarchs seem to be subconsciously sending the message to women that their best place in the House is to oversee housekeeping," the aide said.

Amusing indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o

Like I always say, a woman's place is in the house-- and in the senate too.

Any bets on how long it will take the Republican leaders to figure that out?

Kate

o

From Wikipedia:

"JurisdictionThe Committee on House Administration is a standing committee of the United States House of Representatives. The powers and duties of the Committee include the statutory responsibilities of the Committee on House Administration, as determined primarily by the Legislative Reorganization Acts of 1946 and 1970; the House of Representatives Administrative Reform Technical Corrections Act of 1996; and the Rules of the House of Representatives adopted on January 6, 1999.

The Committee on House Administration, which consists of 9 members, has jurisdiction over all legislation and other matters relating to the House of Representatives, such as:

Appropriations from accounts (and the expenditure, auditing and settling thereof) for committee salaries and expenses, except for the Committee on Appropriations; House Information Resources; and allowances and expenses of Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, Officers, and administrative offices of the House.
Employment of persons by the House, including staff for Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, and Committees; and reporters of debates.
The Library of Congress, including management thereof.
The House Library.
Statuary and pictures.
Acceptance or purchase of works of art for the Capitol.
United States Botanic Garden.
Purchase of books and manuscripts.
The Smithsonian Institution and the incorporation of similar institutions .
The Commission on Congressional Mailing Standards (Franking Commission).
Printing and correction of the Congressional Record.
Accounts of the House generally.
Assignment of office space for Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, and Committees.
Disposition of useless executive papers.
Election of the President, Vice President, Members, Senators, Delegates, or the Resident Commissioner; corrupt practices; contested elections; credentials and qualifications; and Federal elections generally.
Services to the House, including House food services, parking facilities, and administration of the House Office Buildings and of the House wing of the Capitol.
Travel of Members, Delegates, and the Resident Commissioner.
Raising, reporting, and use of campaign contributions for candidates for office of Representative, of Delegate, and of Resident Commissioner.
Compensation, retirement, and other benefits of the Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, Officers, and employees of Congress.
Additionally, the Committee:

Provides policy direction for the Inspector General and oversight of the Clerk, Sergeant at Arms, Chief Administrative Officer, and Inspector General.
Has the function of accepting on behalf of the House of Representatives a gift, except as otherwise provided by law, if the gift does not involve a duty, burden, or condition, or is not made dependent on some future performance by the House; and promulgating regulations under which to do so.
Is responsible for considering amounts of payments of funds resulting from settlements of complaints under the Congressional Accountability Act of 1995."

Hopefully, Miller has great organizational skills. Sounds like a lot of WORK. Probably why it was assigned to a woman (lots of multi-tasking involved). ;D

--------------------

Frank: "Are you kidding? That is the main talking point of a few right-leaners on this site."

A few, yes; on this site; yes. Not on this thread. I recognize that digression in this direction and that happens, and when it's a good place to elaborate on a point, or some much needed levity, I'm fine with that. These two back-to-back jabs were totally without any purpose save complete nastiness, so I'm pointing it out. Keep it in mind next time marquest goes on about her charitable, peace-loving self.

That's all I have to say about that.

o

"These two back-to-back jabs were totally without any purpose save complete nastiness, so I'm pointing it out."

Are you serious? ...... Grow up.

o

"That's all I have to say about that."

You are starting to seem like a person that should quote Forrest Gump.

o

"You are starting to seem like a person that should quote Forrest Gump."

Um, I just did. Since "Forrest Gump" wasn't a real person, no need to give "him" credit. ;-)

o

"That's all I have to say about that."

You are starting to seem like a person that should quote Forrest Gump.

o

Posted by elvis 4b WI
I recognize that digression in this direction and that happens, and when it's a good place to elaborate on a point, or some much needed levity, I'm fine with that.

Keep it in mind next time marquest goes on about her charitable, peace-loving self.
----------------------------------------------------------------
You recognize? You are fine with that? You are now owner and moderator of HT....Photobucket

You are MS Spell checker, Proof Reader, CW, "school marm especially one who is self-appointed" and Now HT owner moderator. WOW Who knew.

FYI, I was an auditor no one ever thought of me as......charitable. The Republicans around here want everyone to pay taxes. Just trying to help your party. I know how to help the IRS get their cut.

o

I wonder what some will have to say about, what appears to be, a woman being promoted , over a man, just because of her sex and not her competencies.

Probably not much.

o

"FYI, I was an auditor..."
ROFLMAO :D

"...no one ever thought of me as......charitable."

This I believe.

o

Enough. Your quibbling is boring the forum half to death!

Kate

o

When an intelligent response to the OP is beyond the capabilities of a HT participant, quibbling is an attractive alternative.

If the GOP adheres to strict senority, and the ranks already lack depth in both gender and ethnic/racial diversity, the committee chairs will look like the above-posted photos. Maybe Mitt can share some of his binders with the RNC.

o

OMG I must start hand flapping. Republicans have FOUR women governors and the Democrats only have two!! Those democrats just hate women at the state level. In fact democrats have only old white men governors. Now what does that tell you about the democratic party?

o

No party is perfect, but at the moment, it is the Republican Party that is having major image problems when it comes to attracting large numbers of women voters.

Do you think the new older all-male Republican line-up will help defuse that problem?

There are some strong capable Republican women at the national level. Why isn't the Republican Party getting them in to the pipeline quickly -- so that they will quickly become "eligible" for the powerful chair positions of important committees? Why has it never occurred to them that they should do it? Why haven't the Republican women in the House been lobbying their own members for more opportunities to get ahead?

All of our government is male-dominated. That goes without saying, unfortunately. However, it is Obama and the Democrats that have drawn the stronger female vote. Doesn't the Republican Party care?

Kate

o

I just can't imagine why liberal women care. I've never heard them do anything but disparage conservative women. Even to the point of saying they should stay home and raise their kids. It's laughable to see liberal women pretending to be feminists but only for liberal women.

o

"I've never heard them do anything but disparage conservative women."

I must have missed all those posts. I do recall disparaging remarks about specific conservative women. I also recall posts wondering how conservative women could support a party that appears to have an anti woman agenda but I don't think that could be called "disparaging".

Comments like that are no different from the comments you make about liberal women like...... "It's laughable to see liberal women pretending to be feminists but only for liberal women."

The facts are that the Republican Party is having trouble with the female vote. What is so difficult about admitting that and agreeing they have work to do?

o

"It's laughable to see liberal women pretending to be feminists but only for liberal women."

Equal pay for equal work only benefits liberal women - what a quaint interpretation.

o

That reminds me.

The Violence Against Women Act...all (all) Republicans with the exception of the 4 women voted against it. Are the Republicans still blocking it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here