Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you like Occupy Wall Street now?

Posted by Bothell none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 22:41

I saw on NBC news this evening that they are "Occupy Sandy" now. They are volunteering, contributing money, supplies, food and clothing to help victims of Hurricane Sandy. Since they have no formal organization, they have no overhead costs and are making a much needed impact on people who still have no power and have lost so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you like Occupy Wall Street now?

I appreciate them for their help IN SPITE of their affiliation.

o

I always supported them and am not surprised at their generosity. Are the Wall Street tycoons there as well?

o

That'll be the day.

o

Maggie hasn't posted for quite some time now...are you out there?

o

they have no overhead costs

How do they pay for it?

1. From grants and underwriting from banks and other large corporations that tanked in 2008 and then got rescued by the government?

2. From insurance companies and drug companies forgoing a small amount of their historically high profits?

3. From members of Congress?

4. From their own small salaries or (gasp) entitlements?

o

I'm glad they are helping. Washington has almost abandoned them since the votes were counted.

"Right now FEMA is doing a terrible job of disaster relief, but no one is talking about it," Senator Carl Marcellino said. "People don�t have homes, they don�t have food, electricity and FEMA is difficult if not impossible to get a hold of. We all thought lessons were learned after Katrina; we were mistaken."

"It is clear we are facing a disaster of epic proportions," Senator Kemp Hannon added on. "I join in requesting President Obama to step up the federal response and to take whatever actions may be necessary."

Of course nobody is talking about it, silly, a Democrat is in the White House. Duh!

o

It's not surprising to me, at all... but it's always the truly good people who try hard that are branded with bad reputations or stereotyped. The Occupy movement is one group, hackers are another group, and I know there are lots more in that list. The media, or whatever group opposes them, always paints them in a bad light, and it's often tough to convince the public that the groups they've been told are bad are, in fact, the good guys.

Sure, you'll find a few errant bad people hiding amongst the good... the Catholic church is a good example of this... but for the most part, it always seems as though it's the good folks who are given the bad names.

As far as the OP goes, I appreciate them for their help BECAUSE of their affiliation. Maybe one simply has to understand a little better what the movement is about, and why it's so necessary... and ignore the bad hiding amongst those good.

I, too, hope Maggie is okay... I'm sure getting online for HT isn't a priority right now, and I'm not even sure if internet service has been restored to whatever area Maggie is in. But if you are out there, Maggie, and you do have access, please give us a shout-out to let us know you're okay!

o

Did you also know that organized religion, (gasp) is there in force? Groups from all over the country. Brought relief supplies, their own tools and tents. Some even teaming with the Red Cross.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

MrsK""""Did you also know that organized religion, (gasp) is there in force?"

Yes,Mrs I know it's hard for many to believe that hating, fanatic, homophobic Christians are actually assisting in disaster relief but it is very true. There are many denominations, in addition to the Salvation Army, with groups who participate in relief for natural disaster. My church has a group, Convoy of Hope that not only helps out in disasters in this country but others as well. In addition to the disaster response they also have :

1."feeding initiatives to more than 120,000+ children in seven nations. They also provide clean and safe water, teach community leaders agricultural techniques and help provide healthy living environments and education."

2. "Each year in the United States they hold up to 50 community outreaches with the help of thousands of volunteers who serve tens of thousands of guests. At each outreach free groceries, job and health fairs, and activities for children are provided."

3."Convoy of Hope believes in supporting the work of like-minded organizations throughout the world. Through partner resourcing, we have empowered hundreds of organizations by providing the food and supplies they need to make a positive difference in their communities."

4. As of August 2012 Convoy of Hope has:

"* 300,000 square ft. World Distribution Center
* 6 International distribution centers
* Fleet of Trucks in multiple countries
* Over 25,000 Churches/Organizations involved
* Over 1,200 Volunteer Teams
* $306,155,027 of gifts in kind to date
* 379,552 volunteers mobilized"

o

My Sister got an email from FEMA telling her about available hotels in Albany & Schenectady (not what you would call close to LI fro her son to commute to work in Queens. She & her husband are retired.
LIPA keeps say power has been restored in certain areas but there is a codicil restored where it can be restored. So many of the homes power panels are in the basements & flooded basements need new electric boards there are none to be had (it's on back order)
She dropped her flood insurance after years of not being able to collect because flood waters used to come through the basement walls not down the streets from the bay. Coming through the basement walls said nope you can't collect.
Now she needs to get a loan to repair everything & there will be a mandatory requirement for (flood insurance)

o

I don't think that there is anyone here that is at all surprised that faith based programmes and religious organizations are there helping.

In fact I think it would be shocking if they weren't.

o

So many of the homes power panels are in the basements & flooded basements need new electric boards there are none to be had (it's on back order)

Post-Katrina we couldn't get some furnaces, ductwork, electronics and controls for many months.

We had to use alternatives, manufacture some components, use other suppliers, plus ran down inventory to bare bones.

Things we typically bought at commercial supply houses had to be purchased at Graingers, Home Depot, Lowes, hardware stores, or other online suppliers.

o

"Are the Wall Street tycoons there as well?

Mayor Bloomberg, front and center.

Hay

o

clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by haydayhayday none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 10:03

"Are the Wall Street tycoons there as well?

Mayor Bloomberg, front and center.

Hay

With a giant slurpee in his hand !

o

That's his job.

But then, we all know that.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 11:18

"Did you also know that organized religion, (gasp) is there in force? Groups from all over the country."

Absolutely true! Most seem to be unaffiliated/random/no umbrella organization, individual christian churches that loaded up the church van with supplies/donations/people and trucked all the way out here from who knows where over the weekend. I worked with a group from Ohio on Sunday and I met groups of people from Pennsylvania as well. One of the problems is finding a place to sleep for these good people. Hotels within several hundred miles are all booked.

The local churches n synagogues are doing some serious heavy lifting as well but.... so are some groups and private biz you might not expect like bars and restaurants, political clubs and orgs, a bowling alley as a distribution center and I also heard at least one corporation, World Wide Resorts was donating and organizing volunteers. Most of the volunteers were local LawngIslanders still kind of dazed but wanting to help out.... like me! A few places are no longer accepting volunteers because they have so many but occupy will find another org that needs. This is all through my own observations so no links.

The occupy thing is great. They have a hub where you register and they hook you up to volunteer where you are needed. You can also look on a board to see who needs what and where. I'm sure we've all had the experience of volunteering for something and when you show up it's disorganized and you feel like you're not really able to help efficiently. This past weekend was very well organized.

Here is the link again for anyone thinking about pitching in or just curious to see how it works.

o

As for the rest, I'll rely on the New Yorkers to chime in / keep us updated.

o

kwoods, if you posted how you fared I missed it. Do you have much damage, power? As awful as it is to go through, it does bring out the best in people doesn't it. And less often the worst.

o

Ah! an update from Long Guy Land!

Thought so, somehow I doubted the "values" voter summit crowd would be there.

With winter coming up, time is running short. There might also be more storms (hope not!).....

o

Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 12:21

Maddie, that Nor'easter was certainly a kick in the teeth we didn't need. Hopefully the cold weather holds off. Still people here without power, I think 14,000 left that actually can be restored. When my buddy's power came back the other day his neighbor's house immediately went up in flames. Old guy that apparently was a hoarder, life's "collection" was gone in about 30 minutes.

South shore is worse than where I am because of the storm surge. That's where most of the hardcore recovery is going on. We helped clean and supply vacant Baldwin public school so kids from the Rockaways could go back to school there yesterday. Long Beach reopened their public schools yesterday as well which... must be by magic since when I was there it was just devastated. Another friend's house (Long Beach) got condemned in spite of all the work we did to try and save it. Shoveled sand, ripped wallboard and electric but.... kinda hard to put it back on its foundation.

MrsK, me and mine? Safe and warm. Lost power for 8 days, an old car, old tree, old fence (which my normally truculent neighbor repaired), some old siding and a few shingles off an old roof. Better now than we were with everything repaired other than the tree and even have a new old car, 1989 BMW325i to replace my 1990 Volvo 740.... LOVE IT!

The political aftermath of this thing is going to be interesting. Lots of weasels scrambling.

o

"That's his job.

But then, we all know that."

Yes, we know that.

Good point. And worth every dollar he gets paid.

"As the mayor of New York, Bloomberg declines to receive a city salary, accepting remuneration of $1 annually for his services"

And at least 35 cents of that dollar goes to pay taxes.

"Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg - another politician who made his fortune in the financial industry - said on Wednesday that he personally paid "the highest personal income tax rate."

I guess, to be fair, we'd have to say that he's worth every dollar penny he gets paid.

Hay

o

I expected their help because of their affiliation.

-Ron-

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 23:37

I always supported them and am not surprised at their generosity. Are the Wall Street tycoons there as well?

NOPE.

They've donated THEIR money to the Rep Super Pacs.

I started a thread with that info last week. The SW part of Connecticut and Upper East Side of NYC were too busy trying to BUY the election, while their neighbors in their back yards were suffering...and still are.

o

I don't know a single Catholic Church in The City doesn't have a food drive going for them. It is unfortunately also the time of years when a lot of businesses & Churches collect food for Thanksgiving. Many of the South Shore Nassau County communities hardest hit are for the most part middle to upper middle class and would normally themselves be donating at this time of year.

o

I have been in LI, BRooklyn, SI and spent a few days with friends in NJ and like kwoods I saw a lot of local people and businesses pitching in and helping. The out of towners I have run into have been from small organiations/institutions who took it upon themselves to come and help, some in conjunction with local organizations and others just came to see what they can do to help with no affiliation.

What has been amazing is the role social media has played throughout this disaster - especially Twitter and to a lesser degree Facebook. Postings of what is needed and where as well as supplies that are available and where they can be found. It has helped the effort a great deal.

There are lots of local groups out from every walk of life. Occupy Sandy volunteers have been working hard and they are organizing their efforts effectively. Kudos and thanks to them all.

o

Those evil Wall Streeters, donating all their money to buy elections...wow. Is that what they did in 2008? Buy the election for Obama?

o

Hey, pop on over to the American Red Cross and you can get twice the bang for your donation dollar.

"More About The Weather Company
Please join The Weather Company and its principal owners and investors Bain Capital, Blackstone and NBC Universal in support of the American Red Cross efforts to assist those affected by Hurricane Sandy.

The entire eastern seaboard has been hit especially hard leaving a significant number of families without homes and/or displaced. To add much needed support to the devastation caused by Sandy, The Weather Company and its principal owners and investors Bain Capital, Blackstone and NBC Universal are generously matching all donations of our viewers and users of our brands -- The Weather Channel, weather.com, Weather Underground and Intellicast -- up to 1 million dollars.

We join with our employees who live and work in these areas in rebuilding their communities.

Your contributions will help to provide food, shelter, emotional support and essential relief supplies to help individuals affected recover. Thank you in advance for your support."

Hay

o

Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 15:25

People aren't good or evil depending on how much money they make.

However, class struggle is real and the growing wealth gap is an undeniable fact.
I read something recently that resonated, forget where.... "The opposite of poverty isn't wealth, the opposite of poverty is justice."

Anyway, red cross is definitely here. They designated my local high school as a Red Cross shelter and it was nice to go there talk to the people sheltering and get coffee, warm up and watch the big flatscreen tv. I won't criticize them but I do think there are groups doing more here in this instance.

o

From a distance, I think Mayor Bloomberg is doing a good job, except for not cancelling the marathon sooner.( we had many of the runners come here and run in our marathon last Sunday.) Kudos to Occupy Sandy people who were much disparaged by the Right here. I would expect Christian groups to come. Isn't that what they preach ? Did Trump offer the 5 million to the cause that he offered Obama for his college records? In their place , the President offered Trump the electoral college count record.

o

From Mrskjun's link:

Jeffries, Bank of America, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, Blackstone, KKR, BNY Mellon...

Maddie:

"That'll be the day."

Hay

o

Did you also know that organized religion, (gasp) is there in force?

Yep. They cam out of force for President Obama too. He won the Catholic vote, the Jewish vote....and most all religious categories except Southern White Evangelicals and WASProtestants.

I guess the Obama hate was not really religious based.

I appreciate them for their help IN SPITE of their affiliation.

At least they are not affiliated with the Tea Party, the NRA, the GOP, the KKK or other hate groups.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 16:58

I think it is wonderful that people from all walks of life whether it is Occupy, Churches, Neighbors, Local Businesses, Corporations, or anyone else I may have missed, showed up to help their fellow citizens. This is what it is all about, we are all in this together. I do not imagine that anyone who was handed a blanket, a cup of coffee or a hot meal really cared (or asked) what someone's political/religious affiliation is.

Thank you to everyone who gave what they could. Bless them all.

o

Are the Wall Street tycoons there as well?

Actually Lily yes. WS has stepped up in their own way. Some NY brokerage firms gave their profits for several days to Sandy Relief. Corporate gifts have been generous too. Home Depot shipped in supplies the first few days including cleaning equipment etc. Scripps gave $1 million as did the Limited Brands. Corporations gave anywhere between $250k and $2 million to various relief organizations. You have to remember that there are WS'ers and other wealthy citizens and their family members who lost their homes as well.

With a giant slurpee in his hand !

And a checkbook and his rolodex in the other.

The Bloomberg Foundation has freed up money for organizations to use toward Sandy relief. The Robin Hood Foundation (look at their board to see who they are) has reactivated their relief fund (began at 9/11) to assist victims of Hurricane Sandy which has received over $9 million with many of their large donations from Bloombergs "friends".

I am not a fan of some of Bloomberg's initiatives but I can not criticize him for his philanthropy and his generosity over the years. It is no different now. Unlike Trump he does it quietly without fanfare. I applaud him for that.

o

I applaud Bloomberg for that as well. A modest gazillionaire is so refreshing compared to Trump.

Good to see WS has contributed to Sandy. I knew about HD and Lowes as well as other companies. This will take a long to time to recover from. I wish I lived closer to help in person. I'd foster displaced pets in my carriage house.

o

I wish I lived closer to help in person. I'd foster displaced pets in my carriage house.

You dont live that far Lily. There are presently dogs/cats being fostered in DC, MD, ME as far away as OH and throughout NY as far away as Gowanda NY.

If you seriously want to help call a local rescue in your area or contact the Mayors Alliance here in NY. I also think Petfinders.com has some information.

o

Actually Lily yes. WS has stepped up in their own way. Some NY brokerage firms gave their profits for several days to Sandy Relief. Corporate gifts have been generous too. Home Depot shipped in supplies the first few days including cleaning equipment etc. Scripps gave $1 million as did the Limited Brands. Corporations gave anywhere between $250k and $2 million to various relief organizations. You have to remember that there are WS'ers and other wealthy citizens and their family members who lost their homes as well.

So I was wrong--some of Wall Street did indeed step up. At least some compensation for their contribution to climate change. Good. Bloomberg's doing a good job there, too.

Maddie, that Nor'easter was certainly a kick in the teeth we didn't need. Hopefully the cold weather holds off. Still people here without power, I think 14,000 left that actually can be restored. When my buddy's power came back the other day his neighbor's house immediately went up in flames. Old guy that apparently was a hoarder, life's "collection" was gone in about 30 minutes.

South shore is worse than where I am because of the storm surge. That's where most of the hardcore recovery is going on. We helped clean and supply vacant Baldwin public school so kids from the Rockaways could go back to school there yesterday. Long Beach reopened their public schools yesterday as well which... must be by magic since when I was there it was just devastated. Another friend's house (Long Beach) got condemned in spite of all the work we did to try and save it. Shoveled sand, ripped wallboard and electric but.... kinda hard to put it back on its foundation.

Major bummer. So much work that needs to be done before winter sets in, there's no time for long term considerations (yet).

The political aftermath of this thing is going to be interesting. Lots of weasels scrambling.

Looks like the weasels are at it alright.

o

I couldn't make a comment on this subject that Ohiomom made only she made it better.

The only thing I would add is that I think Ohiomom is a class act.

o

So I was wrong--some of Wall Street did indeed step up. At least some compensation for their contribution to climate change. Good. Bloomberg's doing a good job there, too.

Some did step up. Others, well...but on the whole they did. It hit close to home for many.

In this regard Bloomberg is doing ok IMO, Cuomo is also doing a good job. Wish more could be done. Cuomo isn't pleased with the power companies for good reason and let them know. (It is no secret he wants a run at the Presidency.) First casualty was the COO of LIPA. He resigned today. More to follow I am sure.

o

I'll look into that, Epi. I got my dogs from Petfinder. I contributed money to the HS rescue fund. I know they're sheltering some of the displaced pets. They looked so sad in their crates.

o

It's interesting that there exists people who really think that being rich and being compassionate and charitable are incompatible.

Most of the richer people I know actually ENJOY their work. And they're always more than charitable. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, both of whom have pledged their fortunes to charity, don't really work for the money.

Unlike me.

I had some money earmarked for Sandy recovery, but it got eaten up in the stock market since the election.

You still hanging in there, Labrea?

Hay

o

Yea, gotta love that confidence in another four years of Barack Obama at the helm.

o

So I guess all those brilliant Capitalist gurus on Wall Street all watch FOX and listen to Rush, and had no idea that Obama would win re-election. Thus, they were shocked, shocked when he won, and thats why the market went down.

/Had nothing to do with the rapidly contracting economy in Europe, due to the blind ideological concept of 'austerity'.

o

Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 14:49

What a strange chart you posted Hay. Were you proving a point? Post the 5yr so we can see the Hay correlation for ourselves.

o

OP: "How do you like Occupy Wall Street now?"

Better. I'm glad to see that they are using that free time they have on their hands to clean up a mess instead of making one. They are growing up; this is good.

o

Hi guys! We are ok and dealing. Family is split up for now and facing challenges each day. Today is a tough one.

Kwoods, weasels abound no doubt and yes yes yes on church's etc out helping...hdd a group from pa at the d d of my block grilling and offering bud lights and the giant game on the radio last Sunday, they had halloween candy coz they knee the kids missed and Motrin for the adults lol

Who else? Too many to list, tides loads of love is a godsend, Salvation Army everyday with hot food truck, Red Cross is okkk, FEMA has been there with funds immediately as well as Mobil emergency room and diaster unemoloyment assistance which I'm getting as well as rental assistance, very organized and set up with the county and oem helpi g with garbage removal and so many other things I didn't know. Local govt can go suck it Kate Murray. Town front loader took out my phone cables and shredddd ny siding and sliced the gutter and kept driving ..

What else? Last week I waked into a local mcdonakd upstate and asked if they could help my town and they loaded my car with 100 chick salads cookies apple snacks we drive 3 hours to our firehouse where 100 vollies from around The The country were camped out. My friend the Avon lady donated lip balm. They were so happy,

My exterior landscape has changed and along with it my interior landscape. I feel forever changed in ways that I had yet to grasp,

Xoxo

o

"My exterior landscape has changed and along with it my interior landscape. I feel forever changed in ways that I had yet to grasp."

My heart goes out to you, Maggie. Please let us know when you are ready to tackle your exterior landscape. I'll be happy to send you zone appropriate perennials.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 19:10

(((Maggie)))

o

Good luck, Maggie. I hope your life gets back to some semblance of normality very soon.

Hay

o
But now...

But now, I need to keep Kwoods entertained.

Whenever I look at the stock market (BLUE) over the past five years or so, I'm drawn to look at Gold, (Gld is a surrogate) (RED), and interest rates, 30 year yield (TYX)(GREEN)in this case.

Gold is traditionally a "flight to safety" marker for a lot of the Wall Street crowd. As is lower interest rates. Interest rates are being driven down by Bernanke, so that's a little confusing, but still.

What do you read in this, Kwoods?

"Were you proving a point?"

Yeah, I think I was pretty clear:

"I had some money earmarked for Sandy recovery, but it got eaten up in the stock market since the election."

I mean, I had good intentions....

Forget austerity!!!! Let's just keep spending our way out of our debt. Makes so much sense to me. Every time I see some disaster pictures with roads and bridges and towns destroyed, I think back to the little road to nowhere that got "improved" around here with some of the "stimulus" money. Gosh, I bet there are some people who might be thinking, "God, I wish we'd put some of that money into savings so that we could draw on it now that we REALLY need to be spending it on our infrastructure." But that's just me and my silly thinking, I guess. What do I know?

Hay

o

Did youse guys see where Iran is busy smuggling all the gold and silver they can into the country, using Turkish money - the only place they sell any significant oil these days ?

So I dunno - buying gold is now the same thing as supporting terr. Shame to see the FBI bust those gawd-awful people on TV with their bogus British accents flogging gold coins.....

o

Maggie I am sorry. It is good to hear from you. Send me a email when you are set and anything you need inside or outside remember you have friends. It will be like starting over I am sure. Sit down and make a list.

o

Thank you! Send me a boiler and hot water heater lol seriously thank you all!

o

Maggie, are these items hard to come by, as in availability, or is it the expense? Seriously. If it's the expense, I'll chip in.

o

Shortages...price gouging our oil company put out if biz by sandy and other issues, Very sweet but we are covered and really ok everything is fixable.

o

I figured it might be something like that; best wishes to you.

o

Maggie, I missed your post earlier. What a tough stretch you're going thru. I cannot imagine. Bless those people who are bringing you hot meals and helping out. We're all thinking of you here.

o

(((Maggie)))

Long term suggestion: Get a solar hot water unit and a 2nd (somewhat smallish) solar unit for basic power supply.

o

Very glad to see you post, Maggie! And glad to hear that you're making it through, one day at a time.

I've never been through a hurricane, but we did lose our home to fire many years ago, so I can empathize with the feelings of loss and change. The way I look at it is... it was only a house filled with material possessions, most of which are replaceable. The important thing is that no family member was hurt or lost. We did lose a couple of dogs, and that hurt... but life went on.

If and when you're ready to replant any perennials in your yard, depending on how much was lost and whether or not what I have is compatible, I'd be happy to offer what I can... I grow several acres of mixed borders, roses, and assorted perennials and shrubs. I'd be honored to put together a "garden care package" for you and send it... probably in spring. Keep me in mind... I'm always happy to share. You may have to remind me, though, because I have a poor memory, but please do!

It's just good to know you're okay. :-)

Oh, and as an afterthought... look into on-demand hot water heaters. The initial output expense is a little higher, but the long term savings are phenomenal!

o

Maggie, I wish I could help you and others directly but I can't so , with you in mind, I helped an agency that is working in lower Manhattan.

Take care and may normalcy return to you family soon.

o

Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 12:11

"What do you read in this, Kwoods?"

Subterfuge through selectivity? Why then did you post a chart of the broader market when it suited your purpose? Never mind... duck, dip and dodge. Not certain why you play this game... you seem smart enough not to be fooling yourself so... who ya foolin'?

Maggie, don't know who wins the prize of being more worthless, Kate Murray or Ed Mangano. We're TOB so at least we don't have to deal with Murray, only her fall-out. The layers of govt here are byzantine... it's the mid-level folks that are dropping the ball.... at least I have duck season to look forward to next week. Hope all is well.

o

"Subterfuge through selectivity?"

subterfuge: 1.Deceit used in order to achieve one's goal.

OK, I confess. My goal was to show that, so far at least, Obama is not really looking so good in his second term. I do happen to believe that the stock market needs to go UP if we're going to be singing, "Happy Days are here again....". No signs of that so far. 5% loss in one week. OUCH!!! That's not exactly small change.

I should have known that I couldn't deceive you.

"Why then did you post a chart of the broader market when it suited your purpose?"

Huh? Which posting you talking about? I think all these postings have suited my purpose: Obama does not exactly create optimism in the economic markets.

Fact remains, your best bet in the four years that Obama has been President is FEAR!!!Gold and interest rates show that.

(U. S. Government bonds? Yep, our country can always print as much money as it takes to make them good.)

I've come clean. Now you know.

Back to the salt mines. It's looking like I'll need to work a little longer to retire in the lifestyle I'm accustomed to living. (And I don't really ask for much: Good dance floor and a couple of beers and I'm good.)

How's your retirement looking? I hope you're not depending on Social Security and Obamacare to take care of you. Might be a bad investment.

Hay

o

A few mutual funds at Vanguard

(Five year is PER YEAR on Average.)

A five year investment in the S&P would leave you about even.

The good investments: Gold and safe-haven US Treasuries.

If you had sold all your stocks five years ago and bought 30-year Treasuries, you'd be roughly traveling along the purple line I've added by hand. 10% per year, on average, for five years.

Even the intermediate term Treasuries would have returned about 7% per year. Short term, 3%.

Somebody did OK.

Like the Chinese. They own roughly 1 trillion of our debt. The Japanese also own about 1 trillion. If they held only, (which they don't, but still...), 30-year Treasuries, they'd each be up about 500 billion each over the last five years.

That's one trillion dollars that our government has effectively transferred to the Chinese and the Japanese over the past five years.

Talk about stimulating the economy!!! That's a lot of JOB EXPORTING!!! Makes Romney and his few millions look like a piker.

Hay

o
United we fall.

While I'm cleaning out my recent clippings....

Some companies are doing OK with Obama being reelected.

Nov 7, 2012 4:25 PM ET

"Shares of Smith & Wesson jumped 9.6 percent to $10.37 at the close in New York, the biggest gain since Sept. 7, while Sturm Ruger & Co. (RGR) rose 6.8 percent to $47.68. Both make handguns as well as rifles that include semiautomatic models.

Firearm sales have grown at 10 percent annually since 2008, when Obama was elected, compared with a 7 percent rate from 2001 to 2007, according to Benchmark Co."

Obama?

Sell HOPE, Buy FEAR?

Hay

o

"How do you like Occupy Wall Street now?"

I should stay on topic....

Remember this crew,

"recruited ... from the Occupy Cleveland movement."

We get to pay for their room and board for the next 10 years or so.

""How do you like Occupy Wall Street now?"

I can't really say that my opinion of them has changed very much.

Hay

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 13:40

I sure hope that, as well as organized religion, disorganized and unorganized religions are out there helping, and helping everyone, not just their own adherents. Are the Mormons helping the agnostics, are the Catholics helping the Wiccans, are the Free Will Baptists helping the Presbyterians (who believe in predestination)?

Hay, Obama isn't in his second term yet, that starts on January 20. I think there will be a lot of changes in the next 4 years, so any predictions now are just for the fun of it, right.

We should keep a spreadsheet of predictions and bring them out in 4 years and see how you all did. I suspect we'll all be just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here