Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"President-elect Romney"

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 23:17

What might have been......

Some screen shots from the transition site that the Romney campaign put up, for about a minute.

He planned to postpone the Inauguration to January 21, that's when Eisenhower and Reagan had theirs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transition site

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "President-elect Romney"

Loved this. I also was surprised as soon as Romney walked off the stage, all credit cards owned by his campaign staffers were cancelled as people catching cabs home soon found out. What a stinking rotten thing to do to workers who gave their heart trying to get him elected. Compare that to how Obama treats HIS workers.

o

We need to add a new word to the dictionary.

mitt :clueless hubris.

It can be both a noun and a verb.

Now everyone help out here and post some usage examples.

o

Really, Lily? He couldn't have waited until the following morning, assured everyone got home, at least? It's certainly not a case of being unable to afford a few cab rides...

I can understand the quiet creation of such a website, but not the uploading of it before the egg was hatched... either someone had an ego issue, or was a little too quick on the trigger, it seems.

Did anyone follow the link to read some of those awful racist tweets that were captured post election? We are surely still a very racist society, regardless of any denial.

o

Cancelled the minute he walked off the stage.

Such classiness.

Now compare this with how Obama's treating his people.

o

Romney really thought he was going to win. He never had any doubts. He never even wrote a concession speech. He was in the thickest most impenetrable bubble of all.

o

It's the Bain al approach to everything & from an economical Randian standpoint it was the thing to do!
It is for me not wrong just a mark of continued assurance as to methodology & the need to represent what that methodology was all along.

"In order to maintain control over all official campaign souvenirs, the Romney-Ryan campaign has barred small vendors from selling campaign buttons and other political souvenirs at the RNC, KCBS found. As a result, small vendors are "are conspicuously absent" from the convention, the news outlet reported.

Robin Abrams of Irvine, Calif., has been forced to sell campaign buttons at a hotel 30 miles away from the RNC, KCBS reported. In contrast, the Democratic National Convention next week will allow small vendors to sell political souvenirs, according to KCBS.

The Republican Party has been touting its support of small businesses throughout the RNC. The official theme of the first night of the convention was "We Built It" in order to present a contrast to "You didn't build that," a quote by President Barack Obama that has been used out of context by Republicans to highlight the importance of small business development independent from government intervention."

o

From Maddie's link:

Ann Romney's remarks brought several staffers to tears as she told the assembled group that they would always be part of the fabric of the Romney family.

So much a part of the family that we cancelled your credit card before you left the building. Find your own way home.

Nice.

o

Does that mean they got fired? He did say he likes to fire people.

o

What a stinking rotten thing to do to workers who gave their heart trying to get him elected. Compare that to how Obama treats HIS workers.

I saw that yesterday and was shocked. I should not have been shocked but I thought how heartless.

I have traveled for my company and I cannot imagine being out of town and making your way back home and the company cards you used were canceled.

When you see things like this you realize how lucky we are that we escaped Romney leading this country.

o

If that's how they treat family and friends... who needs enemies?

o

This is what a "successful businessman" does, and with no regrets, no looking back.

This is why Mr. Romney and his crew scared me. A government is not a business and it can't be managed like a business.

A government is the people and in a government, people are not a means to an end, they are the whole reason a government exists.

I don't think the GOP will understand that for many, many elections.

o

Not that I want to stick up for Mitt, I don't, but this makes me wonder if he had to do it to comply with some kind of campaign finance regulations. Is the campaign allowed to spend money after election day?

Again choking to get this out, but it's hard to believe they would leave these people stranded. The article says nothing about any efforts that *might* have been made to cover these expenses some other way. It's possible.

This story just seems like the kind of one-sided knee-jerk thing that journalists who are complete failures at impartiality (and also investigative skills) like to write.

o

"Smaller, Simpler, Smarter"

Catchy. LOL! (especially the smarter part)

o

This is what a "successful businessman" does, and with no regrets, no looking back.

Seems to me that he and his backers are very poor businessmen. They certainly didn't invest wisely. All that money spent with nothing to show for it.

o

I'm no Romney campaign fan either, but I wonder how much of this credit-card story is apocryphal.

o

CP: It's being reported by Forbes and Esquire.

o

I'm with CP........at least I am now, having looked up "apocryphal".

o

I posted on another thread about how Governor Romney's internal polls were counting no-one-home and unanswered phones as Romney votes. Which would indeed skew his perspective - they pay a lot of money for that service, and you'd think they'd be more reliable.

o

Also Garrett Haake of NBC News.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

From Forbes (11/8/2012)...
"The next time you have the misfortune of hearing a Wall Street titan or other one-percenter whine about how their trickle-down contributions are not appreciated by the masses remember this tidbit, courtesy of Garrett Haake at NBC: "From the moment Mitt Romney stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself.

Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked."

In case you are wondering, this did not have to happen. The Mitt Romney for President entity does not end with Romney's Tuesday night loss. There are papers to be filed with various federal commissions and bills to be paid ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Leftover cash

o

Ok, I read it and take back the conditional defense I offered above. The original article was still woefully incomplete, but YEP, it sure looks like Mitt's a meanie!

o

We are assuming the Romney was the hands-on manager of his campaign, an unlikely scenario. Remember, Romney is as much a prop to the professional political machines as is Obama.

o

The campaign committee will be in business for at least two more years, to pay off bills, etc. No reason they couldn't send the staff back to their hotels.

As he was sleeping early on Wednesday morning, the mission to protect Romney and his family officially came to an end with the order: 'Javelin, Jockey details, all posts, discontinue.'

He says he is trying to find jobs for 400 staffers, and trying to give them severance through the end of the month. So there must be money.

o

Marshall is right-no, this was done by the people that Romeny Hired to represent his interests in the campaign and some how that doesnt make me feel any better about it-still it is a tempest in a teapot. It is not uncommon for people to be left holding the bag for campaign debts all over the place. Sort of part of the ugly business of it all.

o

Not a meanie it is business. When you terminate an employee from that day/minute you are no longer an employee it cannot be claimed as a business expense. There are campaign fund laws.

The problem was he/staff did not prepare for transition expense in the event he did not win. They lived in that bubble that they would NOT lose.
-He did not write a Concession Speech
-He set up a Transition to being President internet site
-He did not make preparation for the safety of his supporters when/if he lost.

Preparation of the lost would have made funds available and transportation, housing, food would have been taken care of before election night.

As a government employee if a staff members was terminated and was not in their home state. Before termination hotel, transportation, and meals were paid in advance before the termination was issued.

How was he going to be an effective leader if he cannot plan or hire people that could plan for the unexpected. His life has been because I want it to happen this way it will happen exactly as I WANT. We could all be dead because he thought he could blow up Iran and they would not strike back. The world is not Fox and Romney Fantasy land.

o

Well, looks like you're correct, jerzee (and lol chase!) -- seems there's an extremely fine line between "valued employees" and "46% takers", and that line was crossed sometime right before midnight on Nov. 6.

I mean, really, it's not like they were union workers or anything, who get paid for doing absolutely nothing, right ...? ;-)

o

Ugh. That's all really sickening. I've spent enough effort disliking this guy, but it looks like it was at least worthy. Have fun with this one, I've had enough! Nausea is no longer worthwhile here... confirmed and completed.

o

Mitt is in complete shock, a close aide said. He simply cannot believe that the peons in this country voted him OUT. He is so used to getting his way...buying companies firing people. He's a callous man, so far above the fray, he just simply does not get it.

While I had a little pity Tuesday night, now I don't. They were so cockily sure they were going to win, they were dealt a sucker punch. Gallup and Rasmussen polls were 25th down the list of the most unreliable polls...simply horrible. Daily Kos was spot on and Nate Silver, who the Righties here disparaged ,called it 100%. Imagine, Mitt did not write a concession speech. Obama did.

o

What I don't get is Mitt's apparent "disinterest" in his own campaign... like taking everything he was spoonfed by his staff as gospel. He might have taken some initiative and looked at the different polls, read a few newspapers, watched a channel other than FOX. One of his staffers was reported to say he doubted Mitt even read the briefing papers he was given every day.

Where on earth does planting a few lawn signs indicate anything?

o

A lot of campaigns end up in significant debt - If I don't disremember, the Hillary primary campaign was in the hole for a few million. Which was taken care of by fund raisers after the event.

o

David I just read she still owes 75,000

o

Yes, it probably was staffers that gave the command to cancel the credit cards and not Mitt himself (maybe), but staff in that position usually emulate their boss. Top dog sets the tone and they knew how Mitt operates.

o

I'm still from Missouri on this. The timing just doesn't make any sense. The next day maybe, that night....I don't think so. I believe there is more to this.

o

Were cards issued up to a certain dollar amount, and, by coincidence, the maximum was reached on election night or next morning?

o

Agree with Marshall. Had he been asked, he probably would have agreed to cab ride fares only. Which would have been right and fair.

I'm sure if they all could change it, they would, nobody wants to be known as the person who denied those devoted, hard workers a ride home.

o

I theorize that they planned to stop using the campaign budget once Romney because president and switch over to the transition budget. I suspect that they told the credit card company to end the card at 12:01 AM on Nov 7 and this was planned days before. They probably thought people would pay cash for their cab rides home and then reimbursed - although I am not sure why the staff expected their cab rides to be paid for. Remember, the Romney campaign never, ever expected to lose.

o

I'm going to cut Mitt some slack on this one. Someone on his staff, with the authority to de-activate the cards, screwed up. That's probably all there is to this & I'd be surprised to find out Mitt even knew about this until someone in the media started writing about it.

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 17:06

As petty as the decision was, I have to believe that cutting off the aides' credit cards was actually beneath the high and mighty Mitt's notice. I can't imagine he actually gave much of a thought to 'the little people' having to pay for their own cab rides home.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 17:16

Why shouldn't they pay for their own cab fare? Did they want Mitt to "give them stuff" ?

Can't afford a cab, take a bus, can't afford a bus, walk.

o

Why I do not give him a pass. You are your staff. The staff handled his campaign badly and it could only end the same.

I remember so many things happened during his campaign and everybody kept saying he should shake up the staff and it never happened. Leaving the aids without a ride home was only one of many mistakes they made

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 17:35

Ya See! This proves that Romney would have been good at controlling spending! The post Midnight Romney Win or Lose bar bills would have been immense!

Mitt Romney 2016
Cash Only Layaway

(....a hard habit to break)

o

Whether Mitt knew or not is irrelevant. The fact that his staff weren't even capable of thinking this through and making provisions for different scenarios including loss is telling of the entire campaign.

Amazing that he was either so cocky or out of touch (or both) that ne never even considered he might loose.

o

It appears he received the same treatment of finding your way home.

How the Secret Service Said Goodbye to Mitt Romney

According to GQ:

"At some point, early Wednesday morning, when Gov. Mitt Romney and family were tucked into bed, a quiet call went out on the radio channel used by his Secret Service agents: "Javelin, Jockey details, all posts, discontinue.""

The Secret Service detail guarding Governor Romney since Feb 1. stood down quickly. He had ridden in a 15-car motorcade to the Intercontinental Hotel in Boston for his concession speech. He rode in a single-car motorcade back across the Charles River to Belmont. His son, Tagg, did the driving.

In 2008, agents offered to see John McCain back to his ranch in Sedona, but McCain insisted on saying his good byes in his suite at the Biltmore Hotel. The next morning, McCain was seen driving his own car to get groceries.

Here is a link that might be useful: goodnight sir

o

And marquest's post has a point; and that point is...

o

Romney is a no-body?

o

Seems to me that was unnecessary. Perhaps it was his choice, at least I hope so. Next day was time enough.

o

Seems to me that was unnecessary. Perhaps it was his choice, at least I hope so. Next day was time enough.

o

Next day was time enough.

No that is a waste of money. The Republicans are saying Obama waste to much money on entitlements.

By some estimates, it costs the government around $40,000 per day to ensure the safety of a presidential candidate, and the Secret Service budgeted $113 million to protect candidates in 2012.

The expense became an issue earlier this year when Newt Gingrich continued to travel with a Secret Service detail long after he stopped actively campaigning. Candidates are entitled to decline protection. Deficit hawk Ron Paul has refused a Secret Service detail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Secret Service

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 23:11

The point is that he quickly became just citizen Romney. He is deserving of no more or less than the rest of us. He lost the election. He's not a Senator or Congressman. Just one of the guys, though a bit richer than most!

o

"The point is that he quickly became just citizen Romney. He is deserving of no more or less than the rest of us."

Nicely put, Mom. :)

o

After Romney's blatant lies to try to become President , dispatching with him as a national figure entitled to any accommodation from our government could not come soon enough. Get the he11 out of Dodge Romney and never come back.

marshallz said:

Remember, Romney is as much a prop to the professional political machines as is Obama.

A false equivalency which comes off as sour grapes. No politician in recent memory has flipped and flopped and pandered like Romney. Defeating him was a good thing...and no things are NOT the same as they would be under a Romney Republican led country. Rachel Maddow nailed this.

"Rachel Maddow eloquently described the tremendous impact of our recent election this week, although some clueless conservative politicians still seem determined to continue living in their own clumsily constructed bubble of denial. Rachel’s political explanation seems to have really resonated with voters, more than a half-dozen of my friends posted this video clip on their social media sites before the cable news show had even finished.

Maddow delivers an accurate and concise reality check to the extreme right, many of whom still seem utterly baffled about how their predicted Romney presidential landslide never happened. She clearly explains that our nation’s voters emphatically refused to embrace the right-wing agenda ...."

Here is a link that might be useful: Forget the false equivalence, Elections matter

o

Thanks, heri. That was fun! I have to say I will never get tired of watching those clips of all those Fox News heads calling the election as a landslide for Romney.

Gloating? You betcha!

o

our nation voters emphatically refused to embrace the right-wing agenda

That is why I am still celebrating. It made me feel good that there are a majority that are not heathens. I cannot think of another word for a society not in the religious meaning although it is a big part of my teaching of caring for others but in the definition of uncivilized.

A civilized society would not want to see those in need at the cost of "Only Yourself".

I have so much not Romney so much but enough that a few pennies extra in taxes would not hurt or change my lifestyle.

So I GLOAT and my heart smiles with happiness.

o

False equivalency this is not. Neither party has put up and selected party leaders to run for president since perhaps Reagan and even that suggestion is suspect because of the blinders of history. This has especially been true from Clinton's era. Electability and deep-pocket contributors have beeome the route to winning elections, not ideology nor party leadership.

o

Electability and deep-pocket contributors have beeome the route to winning elections, not ideology nor party leadership.

Lets start with Electability....What in your opinion makes the candidate Electable?

o

"Electability and deep-pocket contributors have beeome the route to winning elections, not ideology nor party leadership."

You forgot to mention stacking the deck further through technology... and other means, at voter level...

o

Acceptability to party base, no major scandals (none without plausible deniability), physical attractiveness, articulateness, at ease with dissembling (willing to say or do mostly anything to win the election), and capable of attracting abundant political contributions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here