As of now, 4 dead 17 wounded. Again

Here is a link that might be useful: May God watch over them

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Train hits Parade float fill of wounded vets and spouses

I saw that that was terrible!

o

What a nightmare. I am praying for all of them. This is the first I've heard of this; it's just awful.

o

Was the flatbed driver drinking?

o

How terrible! You gotta wonder about parades crossing railway tracks. There should have been a policeman there at the very least. Were there no wigwams?

o

How terrible!

According to Union Pacific spokesman Tom Lange, the crossing has lights and gates, and that they were both working...

Here is a link that might be useful: LA Times.

o

"Were there no wigwams?"

What do you mean by this question?

o

I assume chase means those caution cones? I can't even read the article. Those we love so much died in such an avoidable way. I hope it was just a malfunction somewhere cause I just can't even stomach any other thought.

o

Sorry for the typo, should have been wigwags.

o

A wigwag is a crossing signal!

o

Has anyone on here been to Midland or Odessa?

I can't fathom having a Veteran's Day parade across railroad tracks.

-Ron-

o

All I know about Odessa I learned from Friday Night Lights. Do the tracks bifurcate the town into two different sections (in which case it sort of makes sense as a route)?

o

Midland and Odessa are separate cities, but not far from one another.

The accident occurred on the south side of Midland, a more industrial, older area, near the interstate, not near the shopping areas and primary residential areas, although there are residential areas nearby. It's spread out because there is plenty of space to spread out.

From what I read late last night, there were other vehicles ahead of this trailer/float and the driver was just going over the tracks with the signal began, and the trailer was behind him, but the vehicles ahead of him had stopped, so he could not proceed and the trailer with the people on it was still on the tracks and was hit directly by the train.

I'm still not sure why the driver didn't just go ahead and plow into the other cars or veer to the side and get that trailer behind him off the tracks, but who knows.

What a tragedy.

o

One guy who was killed was from my area.

o

So very sad. One of the dead veterans had pushed his wife off the float moments before the train hit. She survived.

o

Another terrible tragedy...

o

Update from NTSB investigation, from Associated Press, November 17:

"It was the second of 2 floats carrying veterans in Thursday's parade in Midland. The first was exiting the tracks when the warning bells and signals were activated, 20 seconds before the accident, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. The second float didn't enter the tracks until several seconds after the warning system went off, the NTSB said. By that time, the guardrail was lowering."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here