Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yup, it was all about stopping voter fraud!

Posted by Bothell none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:47

"Floridians endured election chaos and marathon voting lines this year, largely thanks to reduced early voting hours, voter purges, and voter registration restrictions pushed by Republican legislators. In an exclusive report by the Palm Beach Post, several prominent Florida Republicans are now admitting that these election law changes were geared toward suppressing minority and Democratic votes.

Former governor Charlie Crist (R-FL) and former GOP chairman Jim Greer (R-FL), as well as several current GOP members, told the Post that Republican consultants pushed the new measures as a way to suppress Democratic voters. Crist expanded early voting hours in 2008 despite party pressure, but Gov. Rick Scott (R-FL) targeted early voting almost immediately when he took office in 2011. Scott�s administration claimed the new laws were meant to curb in-person voter fraud, despite the fact that an individual in Florida is more likely to be struck by lightning than commit voter fraud.
Current party members and consultants confirmed the motive was not to stop voter fraud but to make it harder for Democrats and minorities to vote"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yup, it was all about stopping voter fraud!

Sorry - forgot to include the source: thinkprogress.org

o

i think we should vote on a weekend.no early voting

o

Here's the link to the story.

They should be ashamed of themselves. And every last one of them should resign. Or at the very least be voted out (if they are in an elected position).

I'm sure it will be the usual crickets here from those that screamed about voter fraud.

I could not be happier that the people of Florida defied them and voted anyway and Obama won the state. You know, one has to wonder if those creeps didn't try and stop them from voting, what would turnout have been. Maybe, just maybe, it all backfired on them and they pissed enough people off that were not going to vote. The vote in FL was very close. Now wouldn't that be fitting.

Here is a link that might be useful: thinkprogress

o

i think we should vote on a weekend.no early voting

What's wrong with early voting?

o

I would like to think Florida (and other states restricting voting) aroused the masses and gave them incentive to turn out to vote. In fact, the harder it was to vote, the more determined they were to show the authorities who's who and what's what and insist on their right to vote even if they had to stand in line half the night.

Makes me smile contentedly that their plan to restrict our rights, all in the name of Republican partisanship, backfired splendidly in their faces.

Myself, I voted early for the first time--and was surprised how happy and festive the room was. Normally no one smiles--they all soberly go about their voting duties--but those who went early seemed to be so delighted at the opportunity and chatted in friendly manner with those about them.

But I do wish a couple of our posters always in our faces on this issue--BUT WHAT ABOUT CORRUPTION--IT WILL RUIN OUR AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE--IT WILL UNDERMINE DEMOCRACY (ETC)-- would have the courtesy to come back and say they are sorry for being so obnoxious and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Kate

o

Elections have become what we try to prevent in foreign lands.

Corrupt.

o

For the government itself to deliberately try and impede the rights of it's citizen to vote, to me, should be a very, very serious crime.

I think the Justice Department should investigate the allegations. Coming from the former Republican Governor the charges have credibility.

If true, the Governor should be impeached at the very least...jail time would be good.

o

I feel like Floridians vindicated themselves over 12 years now of obvious voter suppression attempts. Good for them.

OTOH, the efforts in Florida seem rather crude, and even childish in comparison to what may have occurred in Ohio this year and back in 2004.

From the linked article:

'Curiously, the Ohio Secretary of State�s vote tabulation website went down at 11:13pm, as reported by Free Press election protection website monitors, and mentioned by Rove on the news. This was one minute earlier than the time on election night 2004 -- when Ohio votes were outsourced to Chattanooga, Tennessee -- and then the vote flipped for Bush�This time, the Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) vote tabulation site went down as on election night as well. In his rant on Fox, Rove argued that Fox News should not confirm Ohio for Obama until votes came in from the southwest Ohio GOP strongholds of Delaware, Butler and Warren counties and suburban Cincinnati. It was after the crash of the secretary of state�s site in 2004 that improbable vote totals came in from Republican counties in southwest Ohio � particularly Butler, Clermont, and Warren counties. These three counties provided more than Bush�s entire Ohio victory margin of 119,000.'
Only this time, when the servers came back up, the votes never flipped. President Obama�s lead held and he went on to win, while Karl Rove - and Mitt Romney - watched in slack-jawed amazement.

We know there was a parade of Conservative talking heads in the days before the election predicting a landslide victory for Mitt Romney. Is it because they lived in a bubble, lacking pollster Nate Silver�s facts and arithmetic that actually showed the President winning in a landslide? Could it be that Rove�s election night freak-out was just a result of this same Election Day ignorance held by all Republicans? Or was Rove genuinely shocked by what he was seeing because he knew the fix was in, just like in 2004, and there was no way President Obama was going to win re-election?
And if that�s the case, why did the plan to steal the election not work?
Here�s where the story gets really interesting ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Anonymous, Karl Rove, and 2012 Election Fix

o

It seems that none of the strings pulled had the desired effect. Though, I'm still not thrilled that money plays such a huge part in the campaign process.

Voters aren't committing the fraud... it is contrived and put into play at higher levels... some higher than we might think.

I would agree, Chase... investigation, prosecution, and jail time would be well served for those with their fingers in the frosting.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 10:36

No surprise with this "revelation". What is funny is the lengths people went to deny this. The pretzel twisted logic, even on this forum, was amazing.

No, no, it's not racist; no, no it's not to prevent minorities voting; no, no......................

o

Txan goddess--its a darned good read anyway. Here's another excerpt:

Then the clock struck 11:14pm, and the servers counting the votes in Ohio crashed. Election officials had planned for this sort of thing to happen and already contracted with a company in Chattanooga, Tennessee called SMARTech to be the failsafe . . . .
SMARTech was drenched in Republican politics. One of the early founders of the company was Mercer Reynolds who used to the finance chairman of the Republican Party. SMARTech's top client was none other than the Bush-Cheney campaign itself and SMARTech also did work for Jeb Bush and the Republican National Committee. And it was Ohio's Republican Secretary of State, Ken Blackwell, who ensured that SMARTech received the contract to count votes on election night should the servers go down, which they did at exactly 11:14pm.
Sixty long seconds later the servers came back up in Ohio, but now with vote rerouted through SMARTech in Chattanooga. And, coincidentally, Bush's prospects for re-election were suddenly a lot brighter. The vote totals that poured into the system from SmartTECH's computer in Chattanooga were flipping the exit polls on their head. The lead Kerry had in the exit polls had magically reversed by more than 6%, something unheard of in any other nation in the developed world, giving Bush the win in Ohio and the presidency for another four years.

If there is any creditable proof of this, someone (or several) ought to be heading for jail soon. Does anyone know if there is an investigation going on?

Have to admit--I expected to see "starring Robert Redford and coming to a theatre near you " suddenly pop up. Great fiction writing? or solid journalistic exposure? I'm sure I don't know, but it is at least one answer to the question how in the sam hill (my granpa's expression) did Dubya manage to get elected a second time?

Kate

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 11:09

Thank goodness they didn't steal this election.

Do they thing we didn't know?

o

Cuyahoga County, Ohio has some very odd statistics coming out of there and they are being scrutinized.

Obama won 99% of the vote from 100 precincts. That's impossible and that is why we need to investigate fraud from both sides. In some precincts, there are no votes for other candidates. Really?

o

Absolutely, Brush. It would just be so nice to have the simple facts vis-a-vis actual numbers.

o

Link please.

o
RE: Certainly not a landslide

Here is something published by the Plain Dealer.

When folks say Ohio voted Democrat..take a good look at this: I know it doesn't change things, but it certainly does say something.

The unofficial tally shows that Obama won Cuyahoga County by 236,478 votes.

In Ohio's other 87 counties combined, Romney won by 129,219 votes.

In other words, without Cuyahoga County, Romney was the winner in Ohio.

o

I saw something about that as well - some precincts in Cuyahoga were 100% Obama.

While there is a reasonable likelihood of overwhelming support for Obama in a mostly black inner city voting precinct, - I mean, does tax cuts for the wealthy and banking deregulation sound like a good idea in the 'hood - with simple statistics and voter error you'd expect at least one or two Romney votes. Maybe some boyfriend who was mad at his girl friend and voted for Romney just to get back at her, or just a drunk with blurred vision.

In contrast, on the other side of the coin, there is some county in Texas where the vote was umpty-thousand for Romney, 4 for Obama.

o

Well, praise the heavens for Cuyahoga County!

Kate

o

This isn't news - Cuyahoga is a Democratic stronghold, and has denser population than other parts of the state that voted for Romney. Most of the geographical area in California doesn't vote Democratic - but the smaller, denser urban areas in and around SF and LA do.

According to the Ohio SOS statistics, the northwest portion of Ohio, also with a higher population, voted for President Obama over Mitt Romney. You can find the voting results by geographical area -- see upper left tab marked 'Presidential' -- on the website.

o

Still waiting for a link.

o

I say another hurrah for Cayahoga county. Voter fraud is much more prevalent in the GOP and needs to be investigated before the next national election in two years. Here in PA we would be a solid dark blue state had not the gerrymandering occurred by guess who ...the Republicans. The photo ID was to ensure a victory for Romney. I am so glad it all backfired in their faces. In Phila, there were 1000 or so Obama votes and no Romney ones in one precinct. Why? Because he was detested in that mostly black precinct.

PA, Florida and Ohio need to be investigated and get their acts in gear for 2014. One would think Florida would be forever shamed by what happened in 2000, but apparently not. They know fraud is the ONLY way they can win.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 12:36

Well the only "sites" claiming the 99% are NOT the Plain Dealer, but google it and see who is making those claims.

From Cleveland.com

....sweeps for Romney were in Brecksville, Highland Heights and Independence, though Romney also did so in a handful of villages on the eastern side of the county.
Romney's strongest area was the precinct covering the portion of Hunting Valley in Cuyahoga County. The Republican won there with 75 percent of the vote.

Romney also ran strong in the four adjacent cities on the southern end of Cuyahoga County -- Strongsville, North Royalton, Broadview Heights and Brecksville. He picked up 56 percent of the vote there, though some precincts did vote Democrat.

....now for those out of towners, those cities that Romney won in are in Cuyahoga County. The only part of the above claims that are true is that if Cuyahoga County had not voted Romney would have won the state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Source of Course

o

Not so fast.

This has been debunked before (and posted here, in this thread.)

False data from the Plains Dealer was (is) used, the correct numbers are here:

Republicans Fail at Arithmetic Again Trying to Claim Voter Fraud.

There is no both-sides-do-it.

o

google it and see who is making those claims

I did, and found a wealth of right-wing blogs echoing the claim -- the right-wing noise machine in action.

o

In some precincts, there are no votes for other candidates. Really?

Yes, really. Haven't seen the numbers for Ohio, but I do not think it's unusual for a single precinct to vote 100% the same way. It happened in some precincts in NY this time too. Precincts are all different sizes. Some are not very big.

I'm just glad I didn't know about those servers in Ohio going down and that the same thing happened in 2004. I don't think my heart could have withstood that on election night.

o

I do have to wonder if Rove was somehow in on the "fix" in Ohio. Watching him on TV as Fox called Ohio for Obama, I really wondered about that strange startled look on Rove's face and his sputtering about they couldn't call Ohio yet because the vote wasn't in yet from Cuyahoga County and a county somewhere north of it (can't remember where anymore). He pointed to very specific cities and areas within those two counties that should deliver strong Repubican total votes and seemed so convinced that the Ohio results would turn completely around once those specific Republican hang-outs reported their election results. Even at the time (not knowing anything about any voter fraud there), I thought his reaction was awfully strange.

Why was he so convinced those specific places he pointed out would change the entire election results? So odd.

Kate

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 14:46

Rove could not have possibly, even in his faux-induced dreams, thought Cuyahoga County would go Romney, even Husted said "goodnight Gracie" and went home to his bed.

So sorry but Cuyahoga County gets to vote in all elections, no matter how badly that goes down with 'some', and no we are not going to "secede" :)

o

I thought the same thing, Kate...that Rove was in on some kind of shenanigans and was surprised things weren't going his way.

o

Well according to Ken Cuccinelli Obama lost the voter ID states. Yeah I live for the day this creep is outta office!

o

And if the queen had balls she would be king.

o

As if.

Ohio Secretary Of State Tosses Ballots:

State representatives Kathleen Clyde (D-OH) and Debbie Phillips (D-OH) threatened to sue Wednesday evening over at least 384 ballots that have been discarded in the two districts in question, Tuscarawas and Cuyahoga.

According to the state reps, some ballots were put in plain manila envelopes instead of provisional ballot envelopes, rendering them invalid. Additionally, they say Husted is rejecting ballots covered under the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, which allows voters who have moved to a different address within the same congressional district to vote at their former precinct.

Even more ballots are likely to have been wrongly discarded because officials are using a database already proven to be flawed and incomplete to determine the voter's registration status.

Besides these possible breaches of federal election law, Husted is also tossing innumerable ballots that were thrown into question by poll worker error through no fault of the voter. A federal judge tried to stop him, declaring "I don't want to see democracy die in the darkness on my watch." But the conservative Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a stay that allowed Husted to throw out these votes.

Ohio leads the country in provisional ballots, with 200,000 cast this year. In 2008, the state discarded 1 out of every 5 provisional votes. These ballots are often concentrated in urban, Democratic areas - and huge percentages get discarded every election.

"Winning" elections, Republican style.

Why no post of this, I wonder...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here