Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What was the CIA doing in Libya...

Posted by nancy_in_venice_ca SS24 z10 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 0:29

Supposedly the covert CIA operation in Benghazi was concerned with the weapons circulating in eastern Libya. While there have been reports that weapons were being shipped to Turkey for the Syrian rebels, other shipments were directed to Gaza and the Sinai. Which operatives are shipping weapons to these destination?

Arms shipment from Libya to Gaza seized

Egyptian security forces arrested three people Tuesday after intercepting a large shipment of weapons smuggled into the Sinai Peninsula from Libya.

Egyptian media reports said Gaza was the intended destination for the weapons, which included 185 crates filled with 5,000 rounds of bullets, anti-tank and anti-aircraft munitions, rocket-propelled grenades, landmines and explosives. The value of the shipment was estimated at $3.3 million.

It was the second weapons shipment from Libya that Egyptian authorities intercepted in less than a week. Last week, a convoy of pickups was stopped near the Egyptian town of Marsa Matrouh, not far from the Libyan border. The trucks were carrying, according to Egyptian reports, 108 Grad rocket warheads. [...]

Weapons are routinely seized coming into Egypt from Libya. Just last month, Egyptian authorities stopped two pickups, also near Marsa Matrouh, that were traveling toward Alexandria on Egypt's Mediterranean coast. They were carrying scores of rockets and mortar rounds, authorities said.

Egyptian security officials say it's not always clear where the weapons are headed: Islamist militants in the Sinai or Palestinian militants in Gaza. Both receive weapons from Libya, authorities say.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What was the CIA doing in Libya...

What was the CIA doing in Libya...

We will never know and that's why we will never get the straight goods on Benghazi.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 11:02

I believe it was Sable that questioned why the Ambassador was in the most dangerous city in Libya hundreds of miles away from the embassy in Tripoli, the city is lawless and consists of groups of rogue militias and weapons.

I mean really does anyone expect us to believe that the US Ambassador was not aware of the situation there?

No we will never get the truth.

o

I dunno if its related, but the Syrian rebels are now shooting down aircraft with SAM's.

o

I personally think that little dribs and drabs of information will leak out of Libya and we will all understand eventually that there were highly sensitive covert operations by the CIA going on and that they were seriously compromised (in dangerous ways) by the Republicans inflating the Benghazi situation into some kind of unconstitutional crime committed by Obama and cohorts--when all the Republicans really wanted was to win the 2012 presidency. We probably never will know exactly what was going on there, but I'm willing to speculate that the outraged Republicans nearly created an international "incident" --a MESS-- because of partisan politics. I bet the CIA is privately heartily cursing those outraged Republicans (McCain, etc.) for screwing up royally their secret and vitally important CIA operations.

Kate

o

Those damn republicans.

Sooner or later, you'll (not you personally, and not even just restricted to just democrats) get past the partisan bullsh*t and get something accomplished.

o

I agree Bill I wish this would all stop and get this country going again. I do not know what is going to be the hammer that hits them on the head for them to realize this is not working.

Two party system is great. But do they have the good sense to tell lies that do not harm the country. I know there have to be some sex scandals they could use to take a few of those men down. Are they all so old they are not having affairs anymore?

Weiner and Petraeus seem to be the only weiners working anymore.

o

Well, in this instance, Bill, one does have to say it was the Republicans who made this into a national media circus. There are unquestionably clowns in both parties, but it was McCain's tiny car that was honking this particular time.

o

Every House Republican is an elected representative of American constituents. Most of them were just reelected, so they must be doing something right.

Americans have questions they want answered. It would be just fine with me for the MSM to take the lead in getting those answers.

I just want somebody to tell me why Ambassador Chris Stevens was repeatedly denied the security he and others requested.

I want to know who told Susan Rice to tell the American people the rampage that left four Americans dead was a "spontaneous" reaction to a video.

I want to know how it happens that some US officials could know within hours that the 9/11 attack was terrorism, but five days later the president and his spokeswoman, Susan Rice, remained clueless and uninformed. How in God's name is that possible?

The fastest way to make what the GOP is doing redundant is for the MSM to ask the same questions. Constituents have a right to answers. The MSM should asking until it gets straight answers. That's what an unbiased press does.

o

Americans want to know why FOX and the right wing echo chamber continue to try and 'win' some point or other repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Americans want to know why FOX viewers never seem to realize they're getting played like a cheap harmonica.

Americans want to know why anybody in their right mind seems to think Obama would have lost the election if he'd called it terrorism two hours or two days or two weeks earlier. If thats what this is about, because who knows the point of it all. Thats ludicrous on the face of it, because we all know that the reason Obama won is because he promised free birth control pills.

o

Exaclty, David. I'd also like to know why they keep asking the same questions over and over again that have already been answered. Didn't get the answer they were hoping for (that makes Obama look bad) so ignore that one and keep asking? What's that they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results...

o

I always assumed that the CIA *were* Republicans . . . but maybe I'm just old fashioned?

Best wishes
Jon

o

"I'd also like to know why they keep asking the same questions over and over again that have already been answered."

Jill, It doesn't matter to me if the answers to my questions come from Fox or MSNBC or from the Democratic Underground. Just point me to the sources where the questions I posted have been asked and answered, and I'll be forever grateful to you. Thanks so much. Nik

o

Thanks, Nik, I've been asking those questions for several months too.

Those questions aren't answered.

Those questions could be answered by Barack Obama, today.
Those questions could have been answered by Barack Obama before the election.

If it walks like a duck....

o

Natioonal Security matters...standards set by George Bush the Second

I don't recall complaints then from Nika, mrskjun, demi or other fans of Bush.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 11:03

Thank you for posting this Nancy.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 10:43

Facts are beginning to emerge.

"WASHINGTON � The Obama administration secretly gave its blessing to arms shipments to Libyan rebels from Qatar last year, but American officials later grew alarmed as evidence grew that Qatar was turning some of the weapons over to Islamic militants, according to United States officials and foreign diplomats.

No evidence has emerged linking the weapons provided by the Qataris during the uprising against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi to the attack that killed four Americans at the United States diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, in September.

But in the months before, the Obama administration clearly was worried about the consequences of its hidden hand in helping arm Libyan militants, concerns that have not previously been reported. The weapons and money from Qatar strengthened militant groups in Libya, allowing them to become a destabilizing force since the fall of the Qaddafi government.

The experience in Libya has taken on new urgency as the administration considers whether to play a direct role in arming rebels in Syria, where weapons are flowing in from Qatar and other countries.

The Obama administration did not initially raise objections when Qatar began shipping arms to opposition groups in Syria, even if it did not offer encouragement, according to current and former administration officials. But they said the United States has growing concerns that, just as in Libya, the Qataris are equipping some of the wrong militants.

The United States, which had only small numbers of C.I.A. officers in Libya during the tumult of the rebellion, provided little oversight of the arms shipments. Within weeks of endorsing Qatar�s plan to send weapons there in spring 2011, the White House began receiving reports that they were going to Islamic militant groups. They were "more antidemocratic, more hard-line, closer to an extreme version of Islam" than the main rebel alliance in Libya, said a former Defense Department official."

o

the White House began receiving reports that they were going to Islamic militant groups. They were "more antidemocratic, more hard-line, closer to an extreme version of Islam" than the main rebel alliance in Libya, said a former Defense Department official."

I thought that this was pretty much true of all aid given by the Gulf states. Some of these charges were made against the Saudis funding radical groups in Egypt, and currently against Qatar and the Syrian rebels; armed radical Sunnis as a counter weight to Shia Iran and Iraq.

o

Meanwhile...

"The USS Eisenhower, an American aircraft carrier that holds eight fighter bomber squadrons and 8,000 men, arrived at the Syrian coast yesterday in the midst of a heavy storm, indicating US preparation for a potential ground intervention.

While the Obama administration has not announced any sort of American-led military intervention in the war-torn country, the US is now ready to launch such action "within days" if Syrian President Bashar al-Assad decides to use chemical weapons against the opposition, the Times reports.

Some have suggested that the Assad regime may use chemical weapons against the opposition fighters in the coming days or weeks.

The arrival of the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, one of the 11 US Navy aircraft carriers that has the capacity to hold thousands of men, is now stationed at the coast of Syria, DEBKAfile reports. The aircraft carrier joined the USS Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group, which holds about 2,500 Marines.

"We have (US) special operations forces at the right posture, they don't have to be sent," an unnamed US official told The Australian, which suggested that US military troops are already near Syria and ready to intervene in the conflict, if necessary.

If the US decides to intervene militarily in Syria, it now has at its disposal 10,000 fighting men, 17 warships, 70 fighter-bombers, 10 destroyers and frigates and a guided military cruises. Some of the vessels are also equipped with Aegis missile interceptors to shoot down any missiles Syria might have at hand, according to DEBKAfile.

"The muscle is already there to be flexed," a US official told the London Times about the US military's presence outside of Syria. "It's premature to say what could happen if a decision is made to intervene. That hasn't taken shape, we've not reached that kind of decision. There are a lot of options, but it [military action] could be launched rapidly, within days."

-snip-

"The protection from NATO will be three dimensional; one is the short-range Patriots, the second is the middle-range Terminal High Altitude Air Defense [THAD] system and the last is the AEGIS system, which counters missiles that can reach outside the atmosphere," Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said.
DEBKAfile's anonymous military sources claim the THAD and Aegis arrived at the Syrian coast aboard the USS Eisenhower.

"The United States now stands ready for direct military intervention in the Syrian conflict when the weather permits," the news source wrote. " end quote

This chemical weapon stuff troubles me. It could be NATO and the US drumming up an excuse to intervene in Syria. It could be that the Assad regime was drone-spotted at the chemical weapon depots securing them so the rebels don't get their hands on them. Or it could be that he intends to use them. Who knows.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here