Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Legal Curbs Said to Hamper A.T.F. in Gun Inquiries

Posted by marshallz10 z9-10 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 1:35

Link to NY Times article to follow:

I knew that the Federal Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearm agency was still quite battered from the last time the Dems pushed through a semi-automatic weapons ban in the 1990's, one that expired during Bush's 2nd(?) term. The agency is so hamstrung with limits and for not having a leader vetted by the Senate, that the system to track arms used in felonies requires hand work, not computer searches.

If a new banning of assault weapons passes, this agency would have to oversee its implementation.

Good luck with that. Congress lives in fear for re-elections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Legal Curbs Said to Hamper A.T.F. in Gun Inquiries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Legal Curbs Said to Hamper A.T.F. in Gun Inquiries

The after effect of Ruby Ridge...?

o

I read this yesterday.

But it's worse. An article in the WSJ

reported, only 12 states account for the majority of mental health records in the FBI database. Mayors Against Illegal Guns, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, reported that 19 states have each submitted less than 100 mental health records to the FBI database.

"States increased the number of mental health records available for use during NICS [National Instant Criminal Background Check System] background checks from 200,000 in October 2004 to 1.2 million in October 2011," Congress� General Accounting Office reported this past July. "But this progress largely reflects the efforts of 12 states, and most states have made little or no progress in providing these records."

This probably deserves its own thread.

Thanks for posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: only 12 states account for the majority of mental health records in the FBI database

o

And I'd like to add here that the LaPierre followers will probably not read these articles yet will have strong opinions anyway.

Bill will read them, though, and I am interested in reading his take. But please, my friend, turn off the caps : )

This post was edited by elly_nj on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 7:16

o

I read this yesterday.

I did too.

So depressing.

In an age when data is often available with a few keystrokes, the A.T.F. is forced to follow this manual routine because the idea of establishing a central database of gun transactions has been rejected by lawmakers in Congress, who have sided with the National Rifle Association, which argues that such a database poses a threat to the Second Amendment. In other countries, gun rights groups argue, governments have used gun registries to confiscate the firearms of law-abiding citizens.

Advocates for increased gun regulation, however, contend that in a country plagued by gun violence, a central registry could help keep firearms out of the hands of criminals and allow law enforcement officials to act more effectively to prevent gun crime.

As has been the case for decades, the A.T.F., the federal agency charged with enforcing gun laws and regulating the gun industry, is caught in the middle.

Law enforcement officials say that in theory, the A.T.F. could take a lead role in setting a national agenda for reducing gun crime, a goal that has gained renewed urgency with the school massacre in Newtown, Conn. But it is hampered, they say, by politically driven laws that make its job harder and by the ferocity of the debate over gun regulation.

o

1) America has some obsession with guns - we can see this in media, entertainment, and group discussions. What percentage of entertainment, for example, involves violence, specifically killing with guns? How does this compare to what actually happens in society or our daily lives?

2) The argument to keep guns has an obvious business and profit motive associated with it; the financial incentive to limit or do away with guns is perhaps less obvious or immediate.

3) It is pretty clear that we don't all agree that getting rid of guns or at least reducing/limiting them is one of the best things we can do. The split views and lengthy arguments at least show the difficulties of attempting to come to some agreement on this.

o

Bill will read them, though, and I am interested in reading his take. But please, my friend, turn off the caps : )

No caps. :-) This is what I've been talking about. Many records will not be turned over because of fears about privacy act actions. This needs to be stopped for the system to work as it was meant to. Regardless of what Denni thinks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here