Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Pope is tweeting! Is this dignified behavior for

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 5:01

the head of the Church? Methinks acting like some common celebrity is beneath him . But it won't concern me too much if you fail to agree...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Pope is tweeting! Is this dignified behavior for

Are you insinuating that Obama is a common celebrity? Gasp! Call the Heri Police.

As long as he doesn't become a Wiener there's no harm in it.

o

Hmm, do you suppose that he is just drumming up business as politicians do for votes?

o

I don't think the Catholic church is gaining many converts, except by infant baptism. So, no.

o

He has his adoring fans why shouldn't he tweet!

o

He'll be extending his cyber hand in eight (count 'em 8) languages in this great expansion of the communion of saints.

Not known for brevity, Twitter will be a challenge for him. In the words of the Dos Equis man - "Stay holy, my friend."

o

Irrelevance squared.

o

Gotta move with the times... it's the only way to get the message out there today... why not?

o

Actually, I think the Papal use of twitter is one of the most appropriate I've heard, although that's not saying much since I've never sent or received a tweet. Few other interruptions to one's day could be as important as the divine, right?

Separately, I've been wondering the past few years why adults want to "subscribe" to the thought-whims of others as they occur, especially celebrities. As far as I see, it's just a marketing tool (don't people feel like they have enough shopping stuff bombarding them?,) forum for publicly airing private circumstances, and probably one of the best ways yet invented to gather cell phone numbers en masse for sale or rent. And don't these things sometimes get sent at 3:18 AM?

The whole concept of entertainment reaching out to interrupt me when it wants to is creepy, and seems like something mostly only teens would be doing, but that's obviously not the case. When I want to be entertained or take in the thoughts of others, I will find it/them.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 17:30

How is this any different than the endless "Jesus emails", FB posts, other social media and my all time favorite ... Jesus on a license plate?

I am sure that Jesus is flattered that his message is stamped on metal and attached to the rear bumper of someone's car, along with the Jesus stickers on the bumper/windows.

Now there is the way "to get the message" out :)

o

OM I agree.

The Pope is not spending his day on twitter or getting into twitter wars. In this day and age it would be foolish if his communications office didn't make use of social media to get their word out to the masses. Lot's of people are tweeting, get used to it.

The world is changing.

o

Would you like me to tweet you?

o

It's no different than televising a speech. I think it's good, actually.

For a devout Catholic to get a tweet from the Pope a couple times a week... I can see that as something uplifting for a person of faith.

'S all good by me.

o

Catholic League is angry at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette & the Kansas City Star for an unflattering, actually mocking cartoon of the Pope Twittering! with a hash tag of "say 10 hailmary's."
Ah well some papers have a bias!

o

Twittering! with a hash tag of "say 10 hailmary's."

I think it's funny!

Is this dignified behavior

Compared with some of the behaviour that has come out of the Vatican, this is exemplary conduct.

o

The Vatican is a monument to great art & music , sexual & financial hypocrisy !

o

They could call it something else I guess, But please tell me how it is less dignified than using a telephone.

o

Would you like me to tweet you?

Sure, as long as you don't tweet a picture of you in your manties. ;)

o

No, I wouldn't do that. I prefer people to imagine me in my manties...

o

I think Nancy said it best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here