Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your gift Xmas gift for the Obama family is a trip

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 5:18

to Hawaii to the tune of 4 million dollars! It should be no, no, no in my humble estimation, and not ho, ho, ho. How can you not surely agree with me...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your gift Xmas gift for the Obama family is a trip

I have absolutely no problem with our president's family taking a vacation to the place of their choice. Anyway, he has to work wherever he is. It's kind of like those of us who are employed today who have iPhones and Blackberries. They ring regardless of the day, time or location of the user.

Happy Hawaii, Obamas!

o

And he still manages to put in more hours at actual work than Bush could or did... how DOES he do it? Happy vacationing... even though I think the price tag has been purposely inflated as is usual...

o

I have no problem with our PM taking a family vacation . I dislike the man but he is entitled to some family time like anyone else. I would say the same of your President.

Before anyone jumps on the $4M, it has been mentioned time and again that the Obama's pay for all their personal expenses. The taxpayer pays for Secret service, security and the flight on Air Force One...which is as it should be.

o

He's doing what every American family should do, take a vacation; relax, have some fun, renew, drink a few margaritas.

o

Does he need a nurse to go with the family? I could go with them.

Sounds like a good plan. I just hope they get to relax. Hawaii is his home state after all. No different than Bush going to Texas, Reagan to California, etc.

No outrage here.

o

Of course there is no outrage? Why would anyone be outraged? He doesn't deserve to take a family vacation? I hope they have a wonderful time and his daughters get to spend some quality time with him.

o

Well, at least it's not 200 million dollars per day... maybe it will be once Fox gets ahold of it and starts reporting!

o

I hate to be the negative voice, here, but I think it sends a poor message, given the dangers of the fiscal cliff and the small window of time they have to fix it. I think he should spend a few days with his family and then return to Washington DC to complete the job we voted him to do.

o

Does anyone think The President is not 'on call' and working just because he's on Oahu? You know, there's even phone service in The Hawaiian Islands these days. Jeez!

It is sad that every public figure has to have a protective army. My mother and I were walking along Michigan Boulevard in Chicago one day when I was about four. Harry Truman walked over to greet us and admire cute lil' me. He had two plainclothesmen trailing far behind him.

o

YAWN!

o

That's what I say, too, Joe... so what? Everyone is entitled to a little rest now and then. And with communication being what it is, do we really think he's out of touch? Not for a second.

And with current levels of hatred being where they seem to be, who can blame anyone in that position for requiring security? I certainly do not begrudge them a secret service detail.

o

Anyone that believes that the President isn't still the President while away from his desk isn't thinking straight. Come on. The president is doing his job 24 hours a day regardless of where he is.

Good for him, if anyone needs a little down time it is the president of the USA.

Doesn't he always go way at this time of year? And is this an issue here every year?

o

And is this an issue here every year?

Anytime President Obama and his family take a vacation, or the First Lady and her daughters take a vacation, we see a lot of handwringing about costs. Then we see comments regarding the allocation of costs between taxpayers and the Obamas. Then we see those comments ignored and more handwringing about costs.

I predict that President Obama will apologize to the Hawaiians proving once again that he is a Marxist Muslim surrender bower and scraper in true Kenyan anti-colonist fashion. He and his family may visit an active volcano so he can reminisce about building bombs in the basement with Bill Ayers.

o

I'd like to see the calculations -

amortization on Air Force One
Secret Service pensions
Jet Fuel
Luao pig poison tasters

o

Nancy LOL, very true. This will probably be one of the 150 post handwringing about this President going to Hawaii.

I read somewhere that the cameras have a hard time getting a good shot of the President because of the teleprompters. I was wondering because of the hatred if the teleprompters are part of the security. If the cameras cannot get a good shot then maybe the teleprompters will prevent us from having another Kennedy incident.

woodnymph2, I would agree with you if there was anyone left in Washington to negotiate. They are all leaving for vacation. If any uproar should be happening it should be because Congress is never in Washington. This Congress is in session less than any congress in history. I want some of their entitlements thrown in the pot for cuts.

o

I suspect the President will do as he did last year when the Bozo's you sent to Congress could not get a debt ceiling deal done. He will stay in Washington until the day care centre gets their job done, sending his family on ahead of him. Double cost to the tax payer!

But of course they will get it done because they won't want to screw up their Christmas....makes you want to gag.

o

I bet there was a reminder about code of conduct sent out to secret service.

o

When I got in the car tonight, before I switched off the radio, I heard Hannity and the word Hawaii, so I'm guessing the Wingnuts are switching from Benghazi to vacations. I saw a chart yesterday about the vacations the presidents have taken and Obama has been away 70 days in four years. Bush's away time was enormously high...more than any other so they can shut their traps.

o

Maybe they could let some poor family stay in the White House while they are gone...

o

Give it a rest tobr24u, it's not an outrage.

Can you let a poor family stay in your house when you go on vacation?

o

I'm going to pay someone to stay in my house while I go to Maui.

o

Maybe Richard's house would be a step up for a poor family.

o

I saw a chart yesterday about the vacations the presidents have taken and Obama has been away 70 days in four years.

I get more vacation than the president - now that's shocking!

o

...and he is actually never on vacation! He's just not at the WH!

o

"I want some of their entitlements thrown into the pot for cuts." Yes, Marquest, I so agree with you about the laziness of this Congress. I think they should ALL be made to stay in Washington until they fix this mess. After all, it's only our nation that is at stake....

o

Every president's vacation, whether to the Reagans' ranch in California, Bush 41's home in Kennebunkport, Bush 43's place in Texas, etc., costs the taxpayers millions. Mainly due to the need for intensive security. Big whoop.

o

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama. First, are you sure it's taxpayer money being used to pay for the trip? Secondly, even if it is, why shouldn't he, when every other president has done the same thing?

Did I just type that outloud????

o

It's the Christmas season, Bill. You can always blame it on the eggnog.

o

Bill, the President pays for all his own personal expenses, housing, food, entertainment etc....the tax payer pays for security and Air Force One.

o

I wonder how much it costs if the President goes to Camp David, or what the daily cost of security is at the White House.

Just to put this in perspective.

o

My house would be available but I am giving the staff time off to be with their families...

o

So far I haven't seen a single post where anyone has said they aren't deserving of this vacation. Just post after post defending it?

Personally, I wish them a very Merry Christmas.

o

Hope you appreciate my bringing this forum together for once...

o

Hope you appreciate my bringing this forum together for once...

Looks like the reason for the season is setting in.....

We will see what happens when the Obama girls take a school trip to Germany or Brazil. As most middle class student do for Spring Break.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here