Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washington Wedding

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 9:46

In Washington where sanity struck the electorate.
Colonel Margarethe Cammermeyer got her marriage license yesterday.
They made a movie about her a profile in Courage!
In 1989, responding to a question during a routine security clearance interview, she disclosed that she is a lesbian. The National Guard began military discharge proceedings against her. On June 11, 1992, she was honorably discharged. Cammermeyer filed a lawsuit against the decision in civil court. In June 1994, Judge Thomas Zilly of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington ruled that her discharge and the ban on gays and lesbians serving in the military were unconstitutional. She returned to the National Guard and served as one of the few openly gay or lesbian people in the U.S. military until her retirement in 1997.

For good measure the picture of theses 2 gizzly ADAM'S bears made my morning!

The Ordinary & the extraordinary!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washington Wedding

Congratulations, Washington!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 10:13

Congratulation Washington!

...ditto :)

o

Wonderful! Just wonderful!

In Washington where sanity struck the electorate.

Let us hope it is contagious!

o

Makes your heart sing!!!!

o

Today will be the last conference before the holiday break for the Supreme Court & they still haven't decided which case they will hear!

o

I work in downtown Seattle, in a building where marriage licenses were being issued. The happiness on peoples' faces as they posed for pictures after getting their licenses was infectious. How could you not smile and appreciate their joy.

o

A bit of sunshine on an otherwise overcast day. : )

Kate

o

I echo everyone's positive sentiments! Thanks for posting this, Joe!

o

You know I love it! Congrats!

P.S. How is Edd faring these days? How's the healing coming along? He's been on my mind the last couple of days.

o

Just in!!!

The SCOTUS will hear the DOMA case and the Prop 8 case in March...hold on this will be a game changer.

o

Thanks Robin EDDS Great!

"The Supreme Court announced this afternoon that it will hear the federal challenge to Proposition 8 and the Edie Windsor DOMA case, marking the first time the high court has heard a marriage equality case."

The Supreme Court will here the WINDSOR CASE YES!

Windsor is represented by attorneys from Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP; the American Civil Liberties Union; the New York Civil Liberties Union and the Stanford Law School Supreme Court Litigation Clinic. While New York and eight other states now give same-sex couples the freedom to marry, DOMA requires otherwise legally married same-sex couples like Edie and Thea to be treated by the federal government as if they had never married," said New York Civil Liberties Union executive director, Donna Lieberman. "It is time for the Supreme Court to strike down this unconstitutional statute once and for all."

o

The SCOTUS will hear ...the Prop 8 case in March...hold on this will be a game changer.

Not really. The game changer would have been if SCOTUS refused to hear the Prop 8 appeal.

Rats!!

o

The two together will be huge.....one way or the other.

o

I'm enjoying the response to one of the biggest constitutional challenges in years!

o

Agree it would have been a game changer in California but the question needs to be answered at a federal level. It will be a real bummer if the decision of the California Supreme Court is not upheld!!!

Labrea, maybe this should have a thread of it's own instead of me interjecting it here. Start one, you have a better understanding of the details of both suits than I do.

o

Nah I started off the thread with a Washington Wedding figuring the Court had to come up with something yesterday!
This is fine!
The multiple threads previously on the SCOTUS garnered about the same interest!

o

I am proud to have friends who were one of the first couples to get their license. I am proud of the electorate of Washington state.

o

I wish it weren't even an issue. People are just people, I always thought, and all deserved the same rights. I wish that's how everyone thought. In lieu of such wishes, I hope we can finally reach equality at a Federal level. State by state seems so... antiquated and still with prejudice.

o

I enjoyed this video & wanted to share it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedding

o

Jodi, I hear ya. Why does the supremes have to hear this case in the first place when all it really is is the freedom of Americans to enjoy what all other Americans enjoy as a right when persuing happiness? I've never understood this. Certainly this needs to be settled at the Federal level.

What a great day - Joe, this year is ending on a high note for you and your EDD isn't it, you both worked so hard for this - and the Supremes better not let you down!

o

Even if they strike down DOMA provisions there are numerous states that have enshrined their maintenance of inequality in their state constitutions!
AH well got to love this country all the same just can't stand a lot of the turds that vote on my life in it!

o

This is just fabulous news. The best news in weeks(since the election). They were discussing why this wasn't going to happen in PA recently. Another reason this state is so backward, and another reason I agree with mylabs recent post.

If any of you watch my favorite TV show, The Amazing Race, you'll know the gay guys, the Beekman boys won. They won no leg of the race, but intellect prevailed over brawn and I was thrilled they persevered and won. They've been together for years, don't know if they're married ,but are the best example of living well. Fabulous kind guys proving good guys sometimes don't finish last.

o

The Beekman boys got engaged yesterday!

o

That's great news, Joe. These guys were my favorite team from the first show. I liked their kindness to others and even though they never won a leg, they persevered. I knew nothing about them except what was mentioned on their bio. Then I was looking at a year old Xmas Country Living magazine, and there they were with pictures of their glorious old 1802 house and barn. I'm so happy they won. I hear they are doing wonders for their community.

o

The Beekman boys got engaged yesterday!

Bout time they stopped living in sin.

Seriously--the fact that we're having this debate in the first place makes me go 'what the youknowwhat'. Human rights are not up for debate period. Time's gonna fix this--we women got there, Black folk got there and so will you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here