Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire Fighters Killed in Webster, New York

Posted by ann_t 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 10:37

Shot at while fighting a fire. Two dead and two being treated.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire Fighters Killed in Webster, New York

More madness. Set a fire and shot the responders. I would suggest control of matches and cigarette-lighters in addition to gun-control.

o

We need to have armed police on all fire trucks.

o

When I was a volunteer fireman in S.Cal. mountains, it became a common practice to have one or more paid fireman sworn in as a peace officer and so armed. This was in communities with a population heavy with retired military and several survivalist camps. You'd be surprised at the extent of weapons and other military stuff stored in that community.

After I left the area, the Feds came in and arrested a bunch of men, including several in the fire department, on weapons and theft charges.

o

I wonder if the person who shot the firemen didn't want the fire to be put out? Or didn't want people inside to be saved?

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 12:57

What a tragic Christmas Eve.

So now firefighters need to wear personal protective gear? That should make fighting fires much easier.

Of course, the NRA will spin this - matches, after all, are very dangerous in the hands of the wrong person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

I can't imagine the families suffering through this insanity!

o

Ahhh yes, a water hose in one hand and a gun in the other.
Sounds like a dream job....

Let's just give a gun to everyone!
The gun businesses and the NRA see it fit to do so.

Reality:
Guns kill UNEXPECTEDLY, and too quickly for the defenders to draw and shoot back, and THIS is why I am for total gun control. Dismantle the NRA, and collect ALL the guns. We don't need guns.

o

There needs to be an armed guard on every fire truck...or so will LaPierre say shortly.

o

How would arming the good guys have prevented the bad guy from killing two good guys and injuring two other good guys?

That sentiment of Wayne Lapierre's is ludicrous.

o

Just when I thought humanity had gone as low as it could go, it proves me wrong.

o

Spengler served 17 years in prison for beating his 92-year-old grandmother, Rose Spengler, to death with a hammer. He was released in 1998. The killing happened on July 18, 1980, inside 193 Lake Road. At the time, Spengler lived at 191 Lake Road, the home where firefighters were responding Monday when they were shot.

After the fire became a crime scene, firefighters were not able to resume fighting the blaze until roughly 11 a.m., after the shooter had been confirmed dead, Pickering said. In the meantime, six nearby houses also became engulfed in flames and eventually burned to the ground.

[...]

Spengler, a convicted felon, could not have legally owned a gun, Pickering said. But he had several: a long gun used to shoot the firefighters and a handgun at least, Pickering said.

Now, which NRA-installed loophole did he use I wonder.

Local newslink for updates:

Here is a link that might be useful: Democratandchronicle.com

o

Now, which NRA-installed loophole did he use I wonder.

But it's us who politicize these tragedies.

o

Do you suppose someone who beats their granny to death might be crazy and should have stayed under supervision or in an institution, if necessary, rather than a discrete jail term? From what I know of people with mental illness, which is extensive in one anecdotal case, being in jail would certainly not solve the mental problem.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 13:01

He had a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle, the same one used in Newtown, CT. Seems to be a very effective weapon, does just what it's supposed to do.

Of course, it's the matches that are the problem. Guess we'll have to keep guards at the incendiary supplies in stores, now.

o

Yes, that is the main issue: Why did a convicted felon possess guns, not to mention an assault rifle?

That, and a Bushmaster--again. Explains the silence here.

As to why he got off fairly easy for killing his grandmother, that is a whole 'nother issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here