Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Six million lbs of explosives discovered in Louisiana

Posted by marshallz10 z9-10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 10:38

Doyline, LA is being evacuated after the discovery of illegally stored high explosives, some six million pounds, were discovered following an explosion in one of the outer storage sites. Holy Cow! Sacred Poop!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hope this is not a Second Amendment issue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Six million lbs of explosives discovered in Louisiana

Better that it was found now this way!

o

You do have to wonder at times, what does happen to all the unused items left over from war... or mining operations... or drilling, etc...

o

...........but it's legal to store ammunition, it's a second amendment right, isn't it????

You never know when you'll need 6 million pounds of explosives, after all.

o

When I was a kid, we used to hike up to the high altitude abandoned gold, silver, lead/zinc mines. Since they were only accessible by hoofing a few thousand vertical feet over rough terrain, few people ever went there. So we'd go up and scrounge around for mineral samples, old tools, etc. We'd often find old sticks of dynamite and blasting caps. Never blew anything up, though. I still have collection of a couple dozen old rail spikes of all different sizes from those mines.

/you know how glass turns blue in the sun over the years, and intact bottles are worth a small fortune to collectors? We used to find them by the dozen, and break 'em up for the h*ll of it.

o

Explo Systems

Explo Systems is a 7-year old, veteran-owned small business located on the former Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant (LAAP)

Explo's management has been demilitarizing / recovering explosives / propellant for over 15 years.

Explo has a unique, on-site capability for purifying valuable TNT from tritonal for reuse.

Explo is compliant with DOD safety regulations and uses only proven, environmentally-safe technologies in recycling operations

o

So... what about their storage operations?

And...

This has nothing to do with 2nd Amendment rights... who in reason's name would require or use that magnitude of a particular explosive to hunt with or defend one's family with? Good grief!

o

That is crazy, There was a lot of people in danger that could have died for what purpose?

o

Did I forget the sarcasm emoticon?

Sorry, I thought it was obvious. Who in God's name would need six million tons of explosives for anything, except maybe a war.

o

Cajuns had that stored for next 4th. :-)

And no, it's NOT covered by the 2nd amendment. In fact, explosives are highly illegal without the right permits and licenses which can only be obtained after documenting proper training and intense back ground check.

o

If that 6 million pounds ever went off, they'd never have to worry about NOLA being flooded ever again. Simply create and aquaduct to that huge crater!

o

freakin' frackin' fun

o

"Nobody can tell you what 6 million pounds of explosives would do if it went up," Edmondson said in a telephone interview. "And I don't want to find out."

This is a classic case of cost externalization.

Government will now be taking the actions a company like this should have been taking over the last 15 years, and taxpayers will be paying for the work.

o

Well, duh, the government/military procurement/logistics agencies had to have prior knowledge, allowing the company to acquire "decommissioned" shells and take over the decommissioned weapons station to extract tnt from the explosives. Local people must have had some employment with the company or other economic links to the operation. Suddenly everyone is struck dumb and claims myopia.

o

I hope they don't shut them down those are job opportunities being lost. Dismantling explosives is something that needs to be done can't just dump the crap in the Gulf like an oil clean up (sarcasm aside that stuff needed to be broken down & this was a company that was supposed to do it) Looks like they bit off more than they could chew maybe be they were in Korea looking for temporary guest workers to come to Louisiana to dismantle it. After all you can't let prisoners get their hands on the kind of material!

o

Some questions regarding Explo: Where was this material obtained? If from the military, why was this work outsourced in the first place. Shouldn't the military be keeping track of these explosives and seeing that they are stored and disposed of in a safe and environmentally-friendly (as much as possible) manner. If from law enforcement, perhaps there could be a cooperative arrangement where explosives are handled by goverment employees - state, county, or municipal.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 1:39

>Cajuns had that stored for next 4th<

I had the same thought.

o

If they are supposed to be disposing these explosives, why aren't they? Six million pounds = 3,000 tons, that's still a lot of explosives to store.

Are they falling behind? It seems like they wouldn't have been raided if there wasn't a problem.

o

>Cajuns had that stored for next 4th<

Another apparent assumption that all of Louisiana is Cajun Country.

It is not.

o

yeah demi...but that would put some oomph in the bonfires on the levee this Christmas Eve lol. Papa Noel would surely find his way, and Gaston might end up as an alligator handbag lol.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 9:32

Just one lightning strike away from KaBoom

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 9:04

yeah demi...but that would put some oomph in the bonfires on the levee this Christmas Eve lol. Papa Noel would surely find his way, and Gaston might end up as an alligator handbag lol

"An' I hear him shout loud as a splashin' he go, "Merry Christmas to all 'til I saw you some mo'!"-J.B. Kling, Jr.

o

I guess no one hear the Presidents fair well Dick Luger speech about disassembling weapon by weapon bomb by bomb. (he was speaking about nuclear but the same applies)
I does take time & it can't be done like your cutting up chicken for market but it can't be handled this way either.
Pantex is a limited Liability Corp (Bechtel) that was decommissioning or may still be decommissioning NUKES in Texas.
This has to be done somewhere by some one but this kind of non supervised mess is ridiculous!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 10:13

Posted by bill_vincent Central Maine (billvincent@hotmail.com) on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:51
Cajuns had that stored for next 4th. :-)

....and now we know what is on their Christmas Wish List: "a cartridge in a bare tree"

You are on a roll Bill :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here