Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxing? Who goes to watch boxing???

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 10:52

Apparently the Romney's do. A brutal blood sport leading to injuries and death. It really has no redeeming value at all in the 21st century, as if it ever did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Looks like fun!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxing? Who goes to watch boxing???

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 11:15

Blood sports have existed for so long, and it is not just the elite that enjoy them. For some blood and gore is entertainment.

Not my thing...

o

I watch some MMA matches but not boxing.

o

Maybe the Romney pep talk before the bout was the kiss of death for Pacquiao. The Romneys have spare time, spending some of it at the MGM Grand is as good a place as any. I'd rather play the slots myself; the Romneys might go for a little high stakes Bacarrat.

Never cared for boxing - two people beating eachother senseless in a ring to a cheering crowd isn't my cup of tea.

o

Oh STAWWP It's an Olympic sport! I hope he wasn't betting again!

o

I agree with duluth. Watching 2 people beating the crap out of each other is not my idea of sports or entertainment.

Perhaps Romney has buddies that own boxers. Or something like that.

o

Never ever watched a boxing match. It's not at all entertaining to me to see people beating the crap out of each other possibly causing brain injuries which affect the quality of their lives forever. I even hate football and hockey for the violence.

o

I could never, would never, attend a boxing match. I know hockey and football have a violent element to them but with boxing there is nothing other than beating each other up!

Sexist of me I know ...but I am particularly baffled by any woman who would go watch such a blood sport. I simply could not do it.

o

We have been to many many boxing matches and will continue to attend. Every single one we've seen has been part of a charity fundraiser, both to benefit local communities along with international causes. We've not attended pro matches - would rather use our ticket funds for football and hockey. But we will definitely continue to support boxing because of the good that it does in the communities it's active in.

We see democrats, republicans, independents, green party folks...all shapes and sizes....supporting the boxing we watch. Sometimes we even see crotchety old senior citizens in the crowds!!

o

The intent is honourable....I'll just send my cheque. I simply would not enjoy watching it.

o

That's what makes the world go round. chase....differences! And there is nothing wrong with differences IMO.

o

Absolutely agree.......

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 15:56

Been to many fights both pro and amateur. Boxed myself as a kid/young man, made it to regional semi-finals golden gloves. Organized boxing changed my life and I learned a lot about myself doing it. A very positive alternative to what I had been doing at the time.

o

I coulda been a contender.

o

Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 16:19

I coulda had class... Always had a hard time with Rod Steiger after seeing him in that role... "that skunk we got you for a manager... he brought you along too fast..."...

o

Adrian: Why do you wanna fight?
Rocky: Because I can't sing or dance.

o

Sexist of me I know ...but I am particularly baffled by any woman who would go watch such a blood sport. I simply could not do it.

Now wait a minute - history is being revised in HT!

I remember Chase and HG being more than a little giddy at the thought of Justin Trudeau (in boxing attire) fighting whoever it was that he defeated. On the recommendation of these two fine Canadian women, I watched the video - purely for scholastic reasons, of course.

o

Boxing is mild compared to the mma craziness.

o

I didn't watch....but I did fantasize! LOL

PS: Was he hot?

o

I watched. It was awesome and he was hot.

But I will admit that many here have a good point about blood sports. Two politicians playing at amateur boxers for three rounds for charity usually end up in wild swings and both men wearing themselves out before they really land a solid punch. It doesn't play at the same level as a professional boxing match landing punches with the force of a juggernaut.

Even at that, professional boxing is not at the same bloodsport level as MMA... which is the ultimate form of gladiator resurrection. Bread and circuses for the modern day bloodthirsty peasants...lol.

And Chase, it's not really that sexist when you look at it from a biological angle. Bloodsports are largely entertainment for testosterone fueled males. Most of the women who are "into" those kinds of activities are doing it to please their males... to get interested in what "their man" likes.

o

PS: Was he hot?

I was more caught up with the 'come from behind' narrative, and seeing the conservative announcers having to eat crow as Trudeau gained strength in succeeding rounds.

o

Sorta like Rove on election night......bad me :-)

o

" Most of the women who are "into" those kinds of activities are doing it to please their males... to get interested in what "their man" likes."

Now that's sexist!

o

" Most of the women who are "into" those kinds of activities are doing it to please their males... to get interested in what "their man" likes."
Now that's sexist!

I hope it's true, though. I also hope a smart woman would know where to draw the line on "getting interested in what their man likes."

o

Now that's sexist!

Perhaps... but it's also very true.

Not all women, the majority of women have their own interests regardless of what their man is into, but I've seen more than my fair share of women whose "interests" change depending on the man they are with.

And interest in boxing or MMA is primarily among males. Those women who are "into" it, the majority wouldn't go out of their way to watch it if it wasn't for the guy they were with. And if they start dating a new guy who doesn't like MMA, their interest suddenly changes.

o

I find this amusing because I really don't see much difference in two people knocking each other around in the ring with gloves on and some of the people on HT knocking some of the people around with names and as vile of comments as can be thought of.

After what the Romney's have been through verbally....I imagine they can hold up to a little blood.

o

I would... but it's cheaper to watch it on tv or streaming live. I like full contact combat sports. We watch MMA and Boxing.

o

You should hear the cheers when I enter the ring in my manties...

o

Must have been during a commercial... I missed that.

o

Perhaps someone can post a photo...

o

I really don't see much difference in two people knocking each other around in the ring with gloves on and some of the people on HT knocking some of the people around with names and as vile of comments as can be thought of.

Yea, same thing...a haymaker is a haymaker.

o

HT doesn't release that anger and frustration like a boxing ring does. At least the boxer gets to connect, landing a powerful punch to the jaw of the opponent.

Here, it's just huff and puff.

o

A lot of TKOs though...

o

The difference, Heri, is that there's no training needed to spar here...

o

POST-CONCUSSIVE SYNDROME refers to symptoms following a concussion (or in this case, a TKO/KO from head blows). In addition to the typical scenario of headache, dizziness and blurred vision, boxers often have personality changes such as apathy (loss of desire), mood swings, fatigue, sleeplessness, anxiety, and memory/attention problems. It is easy to chock these things up to a loss or let down following a match, BUT IT IS MORE THAN THAT. As has been said several times before, the brain is just like every other part of your body when injured. It takes time to heal and rest is crucial. Omitting this part of the recovery sets up a boxer for chronic problems and long-term disabilities, including psychiatric disorders that might need medical treatment or even interfere with someone continuing his or her career.

Even minor head blows from a four-rounder can leave a fighter with a concussion or confusion. Furthermore, we are all too familiar with fighters with long careers developing "dementia pugilistica" or a "punch drunk syndrome" -- a definite result of too many years in the ring. So, when a boxer endures a tough fight, there is certainly a great deal more to be expected than perhaps a headache.

MULTIPLE FACTORS INFLUENCE THE RISK FOR PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS AFTER HEAD INJURY. Many of these have been mentioned such as alcohol/drug abuse, location of the head trauma, personal history of psychiatric illness, and the severity of the blows reflected in amnesia/loss of consciousness.

PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS OCCURING AFTER HEAD INJURY (and perhaps boxing). Some examples (which may unfortunately make you think of some boxers and individuals you have known!):

a) Psychosis. Luckily this is rare, but when it occurs, individuals tend to be paranoid. An example would be suspiciousness of marital infidelity, or feeling persecuted (everyone is against you). Usually this resolves over time, but in extreme cases could result in verbal/physical behavior requiring physical or chemical restraint.

b) Mood disorders. Depression complicates recovery in at least 25% of the cases. Frontal lobe damage is often associated with depression, while temporal lobe injury can produce periods of mania or hyper-activity. How do you differentiate sadness from depression? Depression is distinguished by the extent of fatigue/sleep disturbance, guilt, personal blame and suicidal thoughts. Drugs and alcohol can accentuate these symptoms.

c) Anxiety is characterized as excessive worry/preoccupation with the event, frightening dreams, and phobic avoidance of the event, restlessness, fatigue and irritability -- perhaps a boxer who cannot get back into the ring to resume his career. Someone may also become obsessive-compulsive.

d) Sexual disorders. This can be categorized into changes in sexual interest/performance, or the development of inappropriate/unusual sexual behaviors. Frontal lobe damage is often believed to be associated with inappropriate sexual behavior.

e) Personality Disorders. Personality changes due to head trauma include symptoms of belligerence, anger, episodic violent behavior, impulsivity, loss of drive, loss of spontaneity, childishness, helplessness, lack of awareness, or need for active supervision.

In summary, boxers are human. Punishment in the gym and in a bout can take quite a toll that is hidden from view. It is crucial for a fighter to have co-workers, trainers, family and friends who know him well. It is tough, if not often impossible, to recognize these things in us. However, ignorance is not bliss, and frequently, time will not make these conditions go away. As a result, a boxer may end up with an undiagnosed, untreated psychiatric condition preventing further success in and out of the ring.

I hate boxing I used to go to the Golden Gloves matches every year when I worked for the Daily News. They have been sponsoring the Golden Gloves for over 80 years!
There are sports where more injuries occur per hour spent playing but they generally aren't head injuries.
I suppose I have a preference for rotator cuff injuries & torn Achilles tendons over repetitive head injury.

Oh my are we going to have pictures of Romney coming out of Les Mis next?
It's over he's no longer news

Here is a link that might be useful: Out and a bout

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 10:19

Just look at Mohammad Ali.

Now that we know about all the damage "sports" like boxing can cause, why do we continue supporting it?

Yes, there are risks to everything we do, but the chances are almost 100% that if you box, you'll have a head injury, or many of them.

It's a young man's game - young, impulsive, invincible. I wonder if Ali would do it again.

o

You have to know when your window is, how much injury you're taking... and when it's time to hang up those gloves and retire... for your own safety.

Let's face it... if you're getting that injured every fight, you're in the wrong weight class, you're not putting your all into a training camp, or there's something else wrong... like maybe it's not the sport for you.

Some people have what it takes... and some don't.

o

Is there a socio-economic aspect to the sport?
I know some baseball players grew up fairly well off as their fathers were also in the sport & that Mohammad Ali's daughter boxes but aren't most boxers from modest means backgrounds?

o

There may be... if you're around a particular sport your entire life, there are often aspects that draw a person in. And for many kids, gyms are the only things keeping them off the streets, or off drugs, or out of trouble... and if they're willing to put in the work, and they have the talent... what better way to make a living? Or to invest in their futures, or help pay for a different living?

Read some bios from MMA... many came from the streets where there was little hope of any other kind of professional or educational avenues to pursue...

o

No one remembers Cassius Clay? No one remembers how he became Mohammed Ali, a Muslim, refused to play games with the armed forces during Vietnam, and was stripped of his title? And no one remembers Don King, the man who put him on the map, then pulled the economical rug out from under him?

If it hadn't been for poor management, Ali would not have had to take those later fights, and thus, might not have sustained such great injury.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 12:07

Of course we remember Cassius Clay (the fighter, not the emancipationist) and all the uproar. He nearly went to jail for his beliefs.

Loved his rhymes.

o

Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 12:49

Fighters fight. Better a fighter becomes a boxer.

o

Ali now has Parkinson's disease, something thats 4X as likely with head injuries.

o

Exactly, David, which is why it's important to be sure you can trust your management and others handling your career... and know when it's time to hang up those gloves.

o

Watching boxing?

It's better to know how to do it yourself.

I'll bet this little thug wishes he'd picked a house with someone who didn't know how to box:

Burglar picks wrong house

o

Anyone worried about sports head injuries better not be a soccer mom.

----------------

If you want a real "blood sport", I recommend the cockfights; it's hard for me to feel sorry for a rooster--nasty fellows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here