Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Congressional rep hiding position? Has no position?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 11:14

I sent a short 2-sentence email to my congressperson, Martha Roby, containing no opinion but asking her position on label requirements for GMO food ingredients. I have typed the response I received below, verbatim. I don't see an answer to my question, do you? Isn't a constituent entitled to know a representative's position on issues? Apparently not. If you ask your rep about their position, do you get an answer? I don't know which is worse, refusing to state one's position, or lack of knowledge necessary to form an opinion. The latter is especially difficult when one is a member on one of the committees to which this legislation has been referred. Either is unacceptable, and I'm not sure which happened in this instance.

"Dear-----,

Thank you for contacting me regarding genetically engineered food. I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the production of genetically modified and engineered foods has increased substantially. Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) introduced HR 3553, the Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act, on December 2, 2011. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the Federal Meat Inspection Act, and the Poultry Products Inspection Act to require the labeling of all foods that contain, or are produced with, genetically engineered material.

HR 3553 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, and the House Committee on Agriculture, of which I am a Member. Please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to do so in the future on other matters of importance.
- Martha Roby"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Congressional rep hiding position? Has no position?

Don't be silly, do you really think she is going to commit herself to a position, especially to an individual citizen. After all, how much money do you give to her campaign. She has formed an opinion, you just aren't going to know what it is.

She will, of course, make her position known to agribusinesses, because they donate so much money to her campaign, and related PAC's. And she's probably going to oppose labeling requirements. Otherwise, she'd have made her position known by now.

They are all bought and paid for.

o

This is what my Congressman usually says too.

Please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote.

Although I think if he supports the bill, he usually says more about why he likes it. I assume this statement either means they haven't formed their opinion yet or they plan to vote no.

o

Perhaps a polite response is in order saying... thank you for avoiding a direct answer to my question... I'll keep your position in mind next election. Sincerely, a voter...

o

That's how Sherrod Brown answered ignored every one of my letters.

o

Most of the responses I get are form letters unless I speak to my Congressman directly then he's usually upfront with his responses!

o

"She has formed an opinion, you just aren't going to know what it is."
That's the conclusion I've drawn.

"And she's probably going to oppose labeling requirements. Otherwise, she'd have made her position known by now."
What if we agree? My email contained no information about my position. Interesting that the assumption seems to have been made that I was in favor of the labeling (in disagreement with her those who paid her the biggest bribes.) One can only assume that is because that's the content of most of the letters that arrive in her office on the subject.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here