Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curious ... do posters get banned here @ HT?

Posted by BeeOHIO 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 13:50

There is speculation(?) @ GW's Kitchen Table that Wildchild was banned due to something she posted here on Hot Topics. I don't know if that is meaning just @ HT or GW overall. I know her to be very opinionated on some topics, but I'm thinking it would have to be *very* over the top to be banned from HT?

What say you.... have people been banned from here, I mean like "regular" posters... not some spammer-fly-by?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curious ... do posters get banned here @ HT?

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 13:57

Oh, yes, people can be banned. We refer to it as being sent to the teacups (Disney owns iVillage), and it happens, but rarely.

Too many hate-filled personal attacks are usually what does it.

o

Don't know how it is now, but it used to be that if a poster kept posting too many things that caused complaints to GW, then eventually, GW just seemed to get sick and tired of of that poster and he was banned and everyone cheered!

does anyone complain anymore?

o

Yes, some have been banned--I personally know one, and have heard of a couple others.

I remember WildChild was rather "wild" and obnoxious, but I don't remember why Wildchild departed.

More often posters that are real trouble-makers get "warned" by the powers-that-be. In the case I personally know of, the poster was warned several times and a couple times got temporarily banned -- for a couple days or weeks--but if the problems continue, that person gets a long-term ban. In one case I know of the person got a year-long ban on one of the other GW forums, then came back and started posting here. Before long, that person was put on a permanent ban.

As can be seen from any number of threads here on HT, posters can get rather carried away--and sometimes often--but are still posting and some have for years. So yes, I'd say they have to regularly be "very over the top" to earn a permanent ban from HT.

Kate

o

Rumor has it wild was asked to leave. I don't recall wild being any worse than anyone else? What was it that happened? We all can get testy. Was it just the once?

o

I don't remember what happened but I can assure you that Wildchild's problems included much more than getting testy once!

Kate

o

HA! I must remember that wrong. Or maybe she wasn't as blatant, as say, Big Papi.

Thanks for the answer.

o

Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 14:26

According to another thread, wildchild comes and goes, as do some other forum members, that may be what happened, just taking a break.

o

Haven't seen Big Papa around for a long time either--and also don't know why he departed.

Kate

o

Oh. Hm. I assumed he was banned. Shouldn't assume, should I!

o

Oh, dear! Wildchild is someone with whom I almost always AGREED! (At least on KT.)

o

Yes people have been I have been warned Wildchild was never obnoxious though I know we never agreed on much!

o

rob, all it takes is for someone to complain to the moderator about you, and you are at least going to get a "friendly reminder" if not banned. And there are definitely people on the forum that complain to the moderator.

o

I did not remember her being obnoxious. She is probably enjoying the holidays. Something I am getting ready to do. There is just so much around and around you can go before you need a fun break.

Do some baking and Christmas Cheer stuff.

o

I think people who complain to the moderator are like kids who run to the teacher and say Johnny hit me. Little tattletales.

o

Amen sista! Totally agree with that statement.

o

Yes,posters get banned when some other poster complains. It's osmething og a crapshoot about who is tossed and who is not.

o

But here you are! Pidge! Hey lady!!!

o

Yes, folks also get friendly warnings without being banned outright; I was chastized by a moderator for the first time for something I wrote a month ago that offended Mrskjun, for instance.

I too find 'tattling' pretty silly, but it's part and parcel of an online community. Don't recall wildchild's posts, but I remember a rather obnoxious dude named Swanz (I think?) who vanished a while ago. It's all IP based, so banned folks often appear to just get a new internet host or switch locations and return under another name.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 16:27

Hey Pidge!! Waving arms wildly (^_^)

Long ago before HT I was put in "time out" (teacups) ... do not remember why now, after promising to be a good girl Spike let me come back and play with the other kids.

o

This all begs the question - where's Inkognito? Very abruptly he and the cryptic, non-punctuated posts/replies we came to know and love disappeared.

There were a few previous occasions when he'd get annoyed or exasperated at those deemed "less gifted", but he'd usually announce his departure.

o

Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 16:43

What's puzzling is that none of these forum members seemed to be really offensive with their posts. Maybe they are all taking a break, maybe they live in New Jersey and New York and are still off-line from the hurricane.

o

Hi Bee!

Are there ever complaints to the moderators for comments on THS? Or at the forum you frequent? I've seen threads and/or comments pulled on one particular forum at THS (doesn't have to be a hot political topic for tempers to flare).

o

I agree, Mom--I've also long thought that the coming and going is arbitrary whether it's voluntary or involuntary.

o

Nancy-in-Venice, do you recall some of the food fights on forums like the Rose Forum?

o

Hi Pidge...hope you stay. I tried to post something last week and got the home page. Three times I tried wondering why, and then I got thru, BUT I got a friendly warning later about one of the most innocuous comments I ever made. In fact it was a joke. I know for a fact who reported me, but before I could plead my case the moderator saw it was completely bogus. I searched and searched and then the moderator sent me the offending comment which was so unoffending, it was crazy. Nice try though...you know who you are.

o

Hi Pidge!

Nice to see you back and posting.

I missed the rose fights, but I remember some of the Garden Party blow ups resulting in an exodus of a number of the regulars.

Landscape design and home decorating have their touchy subjects and the HD conversation side can be as contentious as anything here.

o

Not sure how one can get 'banned'.

Back in the days Spike Hernandez (Robert Stewart) banned me because I criticized his authoritarian ways. I just cleared my auto-assigned IP address and when I turned my computer on the next day, I had a new IP address assigned. Then I registered with the name I now have and a new e-mail address which I've used since then for registering on Internet fora such as this.

Except for the new editing feature and a few other bells and whistles, I doubt there are other ways to permanently ban someone here.

-Ron-

o

The Landscape Design forum has seen a mass exodus of posters, both the professionals and those who simply loved the topic. Everything pretty much came to be from one poster's (and a "relative newcomer" at that) perspective.

So forums wax and wane.

Can't imagine adults tattling - so much for meaningful conflict resolution.

o

I got warned by Spike for fighting with Pete from Florida on the Rose Conversation!

o

Inkognito , one of the most interesting posters that I have read here, got banned. I have been told that it was a set up .

o

Back in the day there was a big Container forum fight. Before the fight it was so active post were second page within an hour. A group was sent to Disney. The next morning I got a email of the private Container forum invite.

That forum has never been the same. It was my favorite forum.

o

More than one person on this forum has tried to get me banned. Three of them took offence that I did not think Obama had enough experience for the office when he ran for the first term. How do I know? They bragged about it. At least one of them is still here and still trying. Guess what? I'm still here. I still say anyone who has a complaint made against them should be able to appeal to a neutral moderator. At least you could talk to Spike about it. Most of the time the current moderators do a good job.

That is not the only tactic that has been used against me and others here. I never read anything Wildchild posted that was anywhere near as offensive as many of the insults frequently made against anyone who is conservative. Sadly, many people I once thought would not stoop to such tactics have been resorting to them much more frequently. I suspect it is because they have been influenced by the left tilt of the forum as a whole. This is no longer a place where ideas can be discussed. It has become a place where bullies can create a mob reaction and as in the larger political arena, if you cannot win with reason, use insults, mudslinging and ridicule to silence those who don't follow or who might question the PC party line.

There are many subjects I would like to discuss on a forum like this but I don't bother to post them anymore. They get removed or hijacked. A lot of the threads here are not even discussions, they are simply cheer leading, a chance to reinforce membership in the PC mob or push ludicrous "scientific" studies to denigrate anyone who questions political issues. How many times have you seen any discussion with opposing views from two admittedly left leaning posters? Not often, if ever. They are two busy dittoing each other and finding a way to blame the right.

o

Well lily, you just burst my bubble, I just got a warning for what was in no way shape or form a personal insult for something I posted in response to you. Now I find that you aren't a tattle tale. Sorry circus...wasn't me for sure.

o

Nope, Mrsk, it wasn't me, and I don't even know what the remark you're accused of making was. On my mother's grave, I can say I never reported anyone to the moderator in all the years I've been here. .

o

Lets do a little History lesson-Spike created and owned gardenway. In the olden Spike days you could be sent to Disneyland(literally when you logged in you ended up on their website) for offending his sensibiites in any way because it was HIS forum. Go over some imaginary line and you could be banned for life. Even talking about some one getting banned could get you banned. Many people would take exception to this not understanding that it was not OUR forum, it was his and he could do as he liked. He cashed in eventually and now we have owners and minders from ivillage. They are not so sensitive as Spike but you can still get warned(as I understand Disney objected to being the default) or banned according to what you have done. No one has to 'out' you. All you have to do is catch the attention of the minders-I think this leads to some misunderstandings. NO ON HAS TO REPORT YOU!!!!!! This has never happened to me( I am normally so polite ;^> )but I do pay attention to details and have been reading these forums for a very long time. So yes you an get banned.

o

I've never complained to moderators, nor would I. I always hope ignoring rude and obnoxious trolls will make them go away.

I do think various older members that disappeared have reincarnated in other newer members.

I was on the Bird Forum in 1998 when Spike ruled. I loved that getting banned turned into the phrase "Go to Disney." Using that phrase indicates you've been here a long long time.

o

This place is really kind of weird. I posted, then I couldn't post, no w I can post again. There is some Gollum-like character out there trying to screw me, lol!

o

Spike warned me perhaps a half dozen times and banned me three times, but never on HT. I used to be a much more active poster with a penchant of adding lots of links and other material to flesh out opinions.

I've been warned twice on HT, both times in response to complaints that I was being naughty.

o

I got a warning back in Spike days because of a post title. I was a new gardener and someone had gave me a box of Iris. I had not grown Iris before and I titled my post. Please Help. It took me years to understand that warning.

Only one answered my post. Back then some of the specialty forums were kind of clickish. The Bamboo forum was another that would hang people by their finger nails if someone asked a question about Lucky Bamboo. From the post you could tell they were tearing their hair out screaming that is "NOT BAMBOO".

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 22:23

Yes, you'd better keep your suspenders buckled from now on!

o

liberal forums generally let conservative members stay for about two to three months. that's been my experience.

o

If I may suggest something re: being turned into moderators to lily316 and mrskjun.

I know I am new here, but I am not new to message boards overall. And while tattle tales who just take things too personally in thier own debates certainly exist, I've also noticed on many forums that there seem to be a lot more of what I call third party snitchers who go runtelldat to the moderators because they lack the resolve to jump into a debate themselves, and being a tattletale gives them a sense of importance or relevance to the discussion.

Just sounds a lot like what happened to the two of y'all.

Edited for typos and grammar

This post was edited by TxanGoddess on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 0:00

o

Anyway Spike would ban people for posting off topic within the forums!

o

Hey, Sleepless! Ditto, LOL.

Seriously, I could have written your post, sincerely. Thanks for doing the work ;D

I ran into the "mob mentality" of the left right away. I don't think I've ever been reported, at least not that I've heard. I have twice asked that a post be removed because it contained personal info about me that I did nor reveal voluntarily, and the powers that be immediately obliged me, thank you very much.

The offending poster is still very much a presence here, but apparently got the message.

o

I kind of figure I know the types who were the tattletales running so industrially to inform the teacher that one of us broke the rules in kindergarten (they always could recite every single rule by heart) - I recognize the personality types right here in this forum.

Sometimes the teacher would tell the tattletale to just hush UP! or she would be put in the corner to think about her own snotty behavior - oh how we naughty ones loved that! But then the tears would just flow in hurt outrage .... "but she/he was breaking the RULES teacher, you're supposed to punish then now!" Miss Teacher never paid her any mind, I guess she knew that was the most painful punishment of all.

I have never contacted anyone in administration here - didn't even know their name until one or two people who were very familiar with the name began to use it as if they were on a familiar, first name basis. For awhile I didn't even know who they were talking about because they kept talking about that person using her first name - unknown to me until I finally asked.

I never have contacted nor have been contacted personally by except for once, in error, by them and then was told to ignore the message, which I promptly did.

Which surprises me, truth be told.
If there is banning going on in H.T. for breaking the rules, I should have been gone long, long ago - along with probably 3/4 of the rest of us, most certainly including those who think I couldn't possibly be talking about THEM because they NEVER, EVER break the rules! (just ask them, they'll tell you!)

;)

o

"elvis "repeated her false claim:

I have twice asked that a post be removed because it contained personal info about me that I did nor reveal voluntarily

You mean when you reported me for using your FIRST name in a post when the fact is that you had posted with it numerously on GW forums previously?

Yes, you are one of those like a few other Right wingers here that love to complain when you want to get someone banned because you just don't agree with them, dislike them, or are simply unable to counter with reasoned arguments. You look for a reason to report someone. I agree with lily that those who do this are as juvenile as the kid on the playground reporting something unimportant to a teacher to try to get a kid in trouble.

o

Sometimes I think of turning myself in...

o

If Ink really did get banned, I suspect, but don't know for sure, it would be related to his persistent, numerous posts about Obama's global killing program.

It's also obvious that some folks do not like the Canadians posting here.

o

Furriers should be very polite or be banished for life...

o

ink's gone? For real? I'm shocked and dismayed. I have never reported anyone, not even swanz or spewey (I could see how they could get reported). Actually, I've only reported one person one time years ago, and it wasn't on this forum, it didn't exist. Even those were a good addition. If this forum lives within the confines of a few posters, it's gonna get boring.

I always thought what TxnGoddess said, it was never one of us on another one of us--a third party. I hope no one over here tries to ban another.

o

I mentioned before that ink posted something in response to another poster that had gotten under his skin. It was late at night for me and not immediately after the other post. according to the time stamp it had just been posted and I refreshed to see if there were more posts and his had disappeared. I have not seen a post from him since. Apparently a moderator saw it and that was that, unless there was a lurker that reported him within two minutes.

o

I'm really sorry to hear that ink was banned. One of the few I could disagree with at times and totally agree with at other times.

I think Txan has it right. I hear from conservative posters who have been banned, and they usually have pretty good idea who was the instigator, and usually it is the same two people, Not saying that there aren't some that need to be banned, especially those that put out personal info about other posters. It can't be that hard to follow the rules.

I remember your dust up with Pete, Joe. He came back once on HT, but got outted, and I haven't seen him since.

o

I've never been banned but I have been tattled on, a trait I don't think is limited to one side or the other. The tattling has been limited to the removal of posts . IO have never had a warning.

I have never reported anyone for anything even though at times I have been totally disgusted with what I have read.

My view is, leave the post stand, if you posted it, live with it....you said it, own it.

o

I posted about 3 times in the Native Plant forum, the last post saying some nice things about invasive species. Within an hour I had been reported and banned as a disruptive poster by Spike at the behest of a resident of that forum. He did have his favorites among long-time posters. And I was not one of them. Spike seems to have been a dyed-in-the-wool libertarian as well and very protective of his business interests.

This post was edited by marshallz10 on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 9:59

o

I find it strange that people seem to think the Moderators are illiterate. It seems people think the only way they are banned is because someone reported them. What do you think Moderators do? Do people think posts are not read unless someone report them?

I reported one on another forum because he threatened a lady and she emailed me in fear because he had her address from a trade. I also called the police. You need a police report if action in the future is necessary. He was gone so fast I wondered if I was the only one that reported him or if the Moderator say the threat. He was banned and he should have been.

I would never complain to the moderator because I do not like what someone believes and post. In the political area I have said I feel it is helpful for lurkers to see.

I have used some of the post. If someone said no one thinks that I have proof.

o

I'm very disappointed that Ink got banned. I always enjoyed his comments. I seem to recall that Ink and one other male poster here got into an ideological dispute and some of the comments became a bit personal. That was the last time I recall Ink posting. The other poster is still here.

I've never complained of anyone here on HT, the one exception being back in the day of Spike: A nasty religious nut in Alabama who claimed to be working on a novel disagreed with my political views. He found a way to get my e-mail address and sent me a series of viruses. I had to complain to Spike about that, and he took care of the situation.

I still remember how irritating Spewey could be if he did not agree with your point of view. But I am not one to complain to the powers that be. I figure I can walk away from the computer, as I do have a real life, outside of cyber space, thankfully.

o

Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 10:44

Most of us are aware why Ink is no longer here, and it had nothing to do with his numerous posts on drones.

o

Most of us are aware why Ink is no longer here

I really miss Inkognito, but he did not suffer fools gladly. This forum is a real challenge in that regard -- although somewhat less so now that swanz has departed.

o

Most of us are aware why Ink is no longer here

Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure why - seems he'd spar with one of the gun afficianados and eventually some name calling ensued. And then it was good night for one of the parties.

I'm willing to be wrong since I don't mentally catalogue posts much longer than it takes them to fall off to page 2.

o

Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 12:21

I think most of us have learned how to make a point without getting personal, and it's not that hard to rephrase a comment. I'm always a bit surprised when posts degenerate into name calling and personal insults, it's not necessary.

o

Unless threats are made, stalking a member takes place over time, or the majority of posts by a member is negative or combative, I don't really see the point in banning someone.

We all develop our own personality we will be known for in this form by what we contribute and are stuck with the perceptions which others gain from reading what it is we have to say, both in specific comments and our general tone, over time.
That seems to me to be punishment enough. Often times it's not possible to unring a bell.

I also miss Ink. He always presented really excellent subjects to discuss, too often which were often ignored or saw little participation. I didn't agree with what he had to say all the time but I knew that he had given his point of view with a great deal of thought and research behind it - it was never a point of view that could be easily dismissed.

If banning is to be done, I'm stunned that Ink qualified. It's true that I don't read all the threads or go back to follow all of them as they build, and a week can go by without even coming in here and I rarely try to catch up when I've been very busy with my life and off the internet, so it's true that I also miss a great deal.

But, I just never got that deliberate, disruptive vibe from Ink, most certainly not any more so than any other average frequent poster in here.

What a shame he is gone.

o

Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 12:31

I'm always a bit surprised when posts degenerate into name calling and personal insults, it's not necessary.

.....and is usually when I leave a thread, and this occurs on BOTH sides.

o

You are smart to do so, Ohiomom.

Nothing of any use or value gets accomplished during those combative threads - we all just reveal more of our unpleasant side (to ourselves as well as to others) than we ever would under other circumstances in life, and I would think that most of us who understand what we are doing tend to regret allowing our behavior to stoop so low.

o

I can't remember anything Ink said to get himself banned. Too bad, I liked him.

o

I haven't ever turned anyone in and don't intend to in the future unless someone gets really, really out of line--like starts threatening someone or something like that.

However, I will admit that there have been a couple mornings when I turned on the computer, kinda hoping that a couple of obstreperous posters maybe got temporarily banned. No such luck. This was usually the day after a particularly contentious exchange had occurred on this forum.

Rather than turn someone in, I just periodically leave the forum and don't return until I get my "cool" under control. Lately, that hasn't been a problem--since Nov. 6, in fact. I guess all that electoral politics wore us out. : )

Kate

o

• Posted by ENMc none (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 16:15

It doesn't take much, at all, to get banned.
Ink got "disappeared" around the same time I did. Within a day or so.

I replied to a post....with the words

morally bankrupt

in response to a post thread that used the word bankrupt... I don't remember the exact wording I used, other than those 2, but it was something like, "morally bankrupt is more accurate". No italics at the time.

That was the gist of it, anyway

After those few words I posted (in the same post, not a new one) that the previous poster posted her view in record time. And that that was no surprise.

As you might have guessed by now, that post had the distinct air of moral bankruptcy, to put it mildly. Which is what I thought I was doing. Believe me, other words came to my mind. None of which could be described as mild.

And that's all it took. Poof! Gone.

Banned.

No more Disney. You do get a redirect. Now you get sent to the Home Page of Garden Web if you do anything other than read. The minute you hit submit...BAM.. GW Home Page.

Pidge wrote up thread that "I could post and then I couldn't and then I could.

And that is how it goes.

You really are stuck.

2 choices. Either stay "gone" or rejoin using a different email addy and screen name.

I stayed gone once before for a year. I refused to post using a different name. And while banned it was exactly like Pidge said.. I could post, then I couldn't, then I could.

One day you just find that you are no longer "redirected".

As to people who say the monitors are watching? I don't believe it for a minute. And I think it's ridiculous that some posters comment on this whole process as if they KNOW how it does go down. From the administrators view. They don't. They can't, unless they are a moderator. Currently a moderator. I mean, someone on this thread still stated that you get sent to Disney with the reasoning that Disney owns IVillage. Apparently, that person has never been banned. Not currently, post Spike, anyway. Shows you how much they know.

No, they get told about posts from crybabies and tattletales. People ARE reported.

And then you must suffer the abuse that some on the forum give you when you come back under a different name. Which is justified if you are trying to do it stealthily and only want to come back to stir the pot.

You can not come right out and say "hey, it's me.....I'm back, different name".. you will get reported and banned immediately for that offense. Don't think for a minute that the very same person who had you banned wouldn't delight in doing it again.

What you can do if you are not a sneaky person is resume posting the same way you always have and still mention personal details that are unique to you and identify yourself. Like for instance, me.. I'm from Massachusetts, don't hide the fact that I am, haven't hid the fact that some of my posts refer to posts I had previously made.

Which is what I have done. Not that it didn't stop someone, recently, from a nasty, snarky posting that I was once someone else. I replied right back what I
am posting right now.

Because, I believe people should own what they say. And not be afraid to do that.

Of course, board politics being what they are...Got answered with more snark. "Not my problem", was the snarky reply.

Childish. Shity, too, considering that they were getting off on "outing" someone.

There is another current thread were someone posted to another poster that insults are against the forum rules. Not the first time, by a long shot, have I seen that from that same poster.

I thought about a follow up post simply stating that the post WOULD come to the attention of the administrators. The warning was telling you that. This will be be denied, of course.

I'm no sneak.. and don't care for "rats".. I would never report someone and want nothing to do with someone who would.

As for Ink... I miss his posts, too.

People come and go....hey, did you see the "new" guy who posted? wink

E ~~~~~~~~rhymes with Sea

o

So do you think the newbie is someone from our past? Any clue? The innocous comment I made last week had me so baffled the moderator had to tell me what I said. I wasn't banned, just warned. But in the past I might have said things in the heat of the moment that could have gotten me banned. I try to show more control now.

o

I don't know who you are ENMc and it drives me to distraction! And I don't know who you are talking about in your last sentence either - I can't keep up with that stuff, no kidding - I really can't! I'm so dense about it that you could give me every hint in the world as to what name I once read you by but until you actually TOLD me, I wouldn't have a clue - it drives me NUTS *LOL*

I guess I just don't think about it that much, never have. Another forum I used to be a member of, there was a lot of suspicious threads where some were not who they were supposed to be and others knew it - I could never keep up there either. There are a very few here that I might know was messing around, one was that I'm sure of but no longer does - but you pretty much have to hit me over the head for me to 'get it' - I just don't pay enough attention to the details of how one expresses themselves, I guess.

I also appoint a "personality" to a name based upon reading what they have to say and if they left and came in with another name, they would be assigned another personality to go with the name. I wouldn't connect the two though I don't think - because I don't really think about it that much *groan*

I feel certain that I would know Jodi if she was banned and came in with another name. And a couple of others - but only if I was actively looking for them to come back, to be honest.

But ever since you said you were active as somebody else, I have been crazy curious as to who you were *LOL*

Someday, if you are going to leave or come back under the old familiar name you have to let me know, put me out of my misery. But don't just give me hints, - I won't get them. :(

If anyone is in touch with Inky, I hope you will tell him how much he is honestly missed by so many here in this forum. Like a couple of others here, he brought real depth to the conversations, I thought so, anyway.

o

posted by mylab123:
"I guess I just don't think about it that much, never have. Another forum I used to be a member of, there was a lot of suspicious threads where some were not who they were supposed to be and others knew it - I could never keep up there either."

You sound a little deprecatory, but I think it's to your credit that you don't have the time or effort to waste on what amounts to a witchhunt.

o

Some people create one to several avatars in order to play games on forums; for example, to maintain heated exchanges on threads in typically trollish manner. A former acquaintance used several computers, one of which was dedicated solely to posting really ugly stuff on forums, stuff that were inflammatory and not often reflecting the posters POV. Some years back there was a poster who tended to post odd threads and only later was exposed as someone running psychological "testing" on participants of the forum. "She" may have been practicing on other boards as well.

o

That has to be the craziest thing I've ever heard. psychological testing?!! Did "she" wear an aluminum cap while testing? People really do this stuff?

o

I really didn't mean it to come out that way TxanG, if anyone took my remarks as a kind of put down I was putting out there, then I do apologize for the poor way I expressed myself. That was not the message I intended to convey at all.

Sometimes I just don't pick up on things like that in particular nearly as quickly that many others in an entire group will, I will be the last one trailing behind, slow to catch up - I'm not sure why that is and I certainly don't consider it to be something to crow about.

There was one person on a quit smoking site I belonged to for awhile which also used double computers to have two different names to post under, it was at work when she would go into the site - with both personalities she would sign off using the name she applied to each computer - one day she accidently used the wrong computer while signing off with the wrong name and was outed.

I could hardly believe it. I thought this person was one of the most incredibly nice and supportive of all towards those who were still in the 'badly struggling' stage,
(some people were not at ALL supportive of the badly struggling, believe it or not)
- but the other "personality" was so back biting, judgemental and harsh that I still really can't reconcile the two personalities as having come from the same person.

I don't at all understand what someone would gain from doing such a thing like in my instance or what Marshall is talking about. There has to be a gain or nobody would ever do it, what is the personal gain that would be so great that one would to be willing put themselves into that sort of deception?

Wouldn't it be hard to sleep at night over the need to play the ugly, ugly game, and if it wasn't - then would't it keep one awake at night wondering in fear, "what is WRONG with me that I feel a need to do this?"

o

The word "contempt" come up for me when I imagine why someone would use avatars/sock puppets in such ways. Of course the perp could be a bit insane and would need to express a suppressed alter-ego to counter the more empathetic one.

o

Oh no mylab, I didn't think you were putting anyone down but yourself and I disagreed with that! Probably should have used "self-deprecatory" to be clearer ... my bad.

My intent was to be complimentary to you, not rebukeful.:)

o

I love that new word, "rebukeful." You should get a prize for that, Txan--my hat's off to you.. English is such a terrific language, readily adaptable to any need that arises.

o

Some people create one to several avatars in order to play games on forums;

I would just call that stupid and someone that does not have a full life, with friends and family and too much time on ones hands.

But why anyone would care if someone is posting as two different people is a mystery to me. I respond to the comment not to the person personally. I respond to the name connected to the comment. I do not see it as a real person.

I had several different names on different Forums when I was traveling because I was doing trades and I did not know which Forum to go to and thank them for the trade or notify when I sent the trade.

There were lots of people with the like names....Anne. I did not know which Anne. One time I sent one Anne leather belts she was doing a craft and the other Anne got a Hosta and that trade was suppose to have been reversed.

This is why I think this virtual thing has gone wrong. We are starting to relate to posters as real.

We do not know a internet poster unless we have developed a off the virtual trail relationship.

o

Well, I guess I could have used rebuking, but I was going for an adjective, not a gerund or a present participle. Just made a stab in the dark really, but I am glad you liked it.

o

one day she accidently used the wrong computer while signing off with the wrong name and was outed.

Something like that happened in Hot Topics; one participant posted a comment under one name, and answered a response to her original comment under another name. Whoops!

o

I like you TxanGoddess! :)

I like you too Marquest, I can't help it. I think of you as a real person and I like you - I disagree with you though, I believe we are 'real' people on the internet because nobody makes us say or do anything here either, we are in charge of the part of us that we will display to the world when on the internet.

Even though not well rounded or fully disclosing when presenting who we are with the attached internet name, who we are here is still a part of who we are as a whole person and imo we are as responsible for what we say on the internet as we are in the rest of our interactions in our life.

That can be really tricky when doing some frank and difficult self-assessment, because it's so much easier to give a rude and obnoxious response to something we don't like when on the internet because we don't have to face up to the expression on the other person's face when something rude or ugly has been said to them.

But still, (and how awful is it) what we say on the internet still ends up being a part of who it is that we are as an individual.

That is my belief, anyway.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 16:53

Hey Marshall, you think there's a double poster here that starts a thread and then proceeds to argue with them self(ves).? Nyuk Nyuk

o

I guess if I was someone needing a raw laboratory & I was being paid to herd cats this forum would be about as good as anyplace to sample a cross section of (just what sort of people use a forum) So many of us have answered that again & again a virtual community on line many with gardening backgrounds or commonality from many walks of life & experience who for the most part all seem to have lives beyond this virtual play pen!,boxing ring!,information imporium! SITCOM!

o

You keep forgetting one thing.

I *am* just about every poster here, besides a couple of you.

You just have to try and figure out who is real and who is *me*

o

.....and to add to the paranoia of some I'll post right after "you ", I mean "me"

o

lol...

I can just see the tinfoil hat coming out and the furious pounding of the keyboard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here