Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Paying more better?

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 15:25

I have seen this creep into some conversations and some have taken offense that the more expensive is mentioned as a envy tactic.

Living our daily lives does it make a purchase better because of what we pay or where we shop?

I do not think that is true. Some have said they find good useable items at the the thrift store.

I worked in Accounting when I first got out of HS at a major high end department store. The markup on designer cloths was ridiculous cost was 1.99 and they would put them on the floor for 500.00. So we know cost did not make that a better item.

People shopped at that store to say they purchased an item at a high cost or to personally feel they are doing well financially because they shopped at a particular store.

There are millions of articles that cosmetics cost are not better in many cases because you purchased it at Saks or Marshalls a year later it is the same product and the same ingredients. You can buy a better cosmetic at your local drug store.

I feel it is not where you shop but if you know how to shop.
What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Paying more better?

If I get a great deal at Home Sense or Winners I will brag about it forever. Shopping at high end stores and paying high end prices just doesn't make sense to me. Having said that - I have come to the point where I will pay just about anything for a pair of really nice black dress pants. I've been looking for a pair now for 2 years and am about to hit the high end stores.

o

I meant to add - For some reason for my husband's good casual clothing (nice pants, sweater etc for going out) it does seem that we have to pay a little bit more to get good quality that will last. It doesn't seem as necessary for me to do that.

o

In general, the quality of merchandise at high end stores and Target type stores is not the same. I shop at Target. I love Target. I buy my PJs there. I buy some of my 12 year old son's clothes there because he outgrows them pretty quickly. I do not buy my clothes there. I just find the quality not very good.

For housewares, I love Target.

I always say you get what you pay for.

o

That $1.99 product would not have fooled me into believing it was worth more. Quality is always obvious to me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying the highest quality item you can afford. The payback is self explanatory.

Why does our president (who is one of us, right?) wear a $1,500 Hartmarx suit? Not many men you know wear one of those.

Quality. Fit. Looks. Longevity. That's why he wears it.

Whenever I choose to surprise my grandchildren with new shoes, I always take them to Stride Rite. There is a big, big difference between them and the cheap shoes. My grandchildren are worth a better shoe. I'm paying Stride Rite for their 90 years experience of taking care of young feet. No apologies.

How often do you (generic) wish to change that kitchen faucet? Some folks replace the $39 one (plus labor) 4 to 5 times in their lifetime. I'd rather buy the expensive Wolverine with the 99 year warranty.

o

I buy quality which is not to say I always shop the high end stores....but for sure I don't do Walmart.

I tend to shop in stores that specialize in their wares but love getting a great deal on house wares at Home Sense or Target.

Depends entirely what I'm after and how important the quality is to me. There are PJ's and then there is a negligee....I'm not likely to buy those at the same shop.

I am blessed with the ability to make those choices. I have high regard for the Moms that manage to keep themselvesand their family looking great and eating well on a shoe string. It can be done, I did it for years.There is a certain satisfaction to doing well on a limited budget. i still get the high when I score!!!

o

I shop at all levels. I buy many things at a thift store and I'm happy to pay pennies. I will glory in a "find." I found a black chanel suit once at an upscale resale that fit me perfectCy for about $25. I grin everyime I put it on.

All of that aside, yes there are some stores I will pay more in for the nice treatment--sales girls who bring you other sizes or other items that you might like. No 6 item limit to the number of items you can bring into the try on room at once. Free alterations so an outfit fits perfectly.

But what I buy in such a store must be of better than average quality--better materials, better sewing etc. If not, forget it. And if a sales person is the least bit rude, I'll walk out in an instant.

I care nothing for wearing labels like Coach or Hermes just to show off wearing the label. Coach is one label that used to be known for bags made of the very best leather and fittings. It was worth paying the extra for a purse that would last for years instead of months. Today, Coach purses are not usually made of leather and have the name all over them instead of being unmistakeable for their quality. Why would anyone buy them now?

o

i still get the high when I score!!!

Oh, yea! I love that high.

I've never been able to buy used clothing. I just can't get myself to wear clothing worn by someone I don't know. To me, it's just gross. Same with upholstered furniture. Couldn't buy used. My own quirk, I know.

o

"I care nothing for wearing labels like Coach or Hermes just to show off wearing the label. Coach is one label that used to be known for bags made of the very best leather and fittings. It was worth paying the extra for a purse that would last for years instead of months. Today, Coach purses are not usually made of leather and have the name all over them instead of being unmistakeable for their quality. Why would anyone buy them now?"

Funny, I had the opportunity to shop for a Coach purse about 6 weeks ago and the majority of their current styles are the traditional good quality leather with very durable zippers and other fittings. The name is not all over the item.

I buy quality because I don't purchase often and I expect things to last. I also mend as needed. I also believe that one generally gets what they pay for.

o

I can't do used clothing either. On the other hand , my SIL who could buy and sell me a hundred times over, buys almost all of her clothes and shoes at consignment shops.

Then again maybe that's why she can buy and sell me a hundred times over ! LOL

o

Anything that gets used heavily it pays off hugely to buy the higher-quality item the first time. I've learned that time and again to my cost. Higher-quality doesn't always align with price but in general it does. For sure you don't get the best for cheap. You can get less than the best for too much money, is all.

o

I like to buy the best quality that I can afford of any given thing I might need.

But that being said, I have always had a big aversion to anything that has a label announcing the brand's name or logo. I feel taken advantage of by the company that I'm ostensibly promoting, and I feel like the garments themselves are tackier looking for it.

In tennis shoes and jeans of course, it's pretty ubiquitous ... you are not going to find a way to avoid having the brand name somewhere obvious, so I mean, I'm not going to boycott entire articles of clothing just because of this aversion.

But to take one familiar example: I would regift a Louis Vuitton bag even if it came to me for free, because I think that the little "LV"s all over it are ugly. Being a walking advertisement is just not attractive or appealing to me even if I am advertising something expensive.

ETA: But since kimka and jmc seem to have mentioned something similar regarding coach brand, I would love the quality of something like that, just not with the brand logo splashed everywhere. My point being, if any of you ever feel compelled to give me an LV or even a Coach bag without the LVs or the CCs on it, I would be very gracious in accepting and keeping it! ;)

This post was edited by TxanGoddess on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 19:11

o

I agree with Brown, and will add that when one purchases a high-end article from a reputable source, repairs and/or returns are usually easy and sometimes pleasantly surprising.

For example I bought DH a pair of Haflinger slippers. 2 years later, there was an issue with the stitching, and I asked at the local retail store where I had purchased them if the company did repairs (handmade wool type stuff). They were very distressed about this slipper's failing, and sent the pair back to the company, which promptly replaced the pair for free.

Needless ro say, we were thrilled; we feel good about the store and the company and will continue to buy the products. Win-win ;)

I have a similar story about a Filson hat...

o

It all depends on WHY you're paying more. If it's just so you can prove to others around you just how narcissistic you are, then it's moronic and I agree with the OP. However, part of my own marketing strategy is to tell people that if they're expecting me to compete with a lowball price, don't waste my time or their own. I can guarantee you that you'll be able to find a cheaper price rather easily. However, I can also guarantee you that you'll get more value for your dollar from me than you will for the jerk that wants to lowball you. You won't hurt my feelings if you don't like my price and use someone else. In the long run, you're not hurting me and you most likely will be sorry you DIDN'T use me. But so be it.

Like I said, it depends on WHY you're paying more, and the worst of it is quite often, as a consumer, it's tough to tell if you're buying quality, or a line of bull. I WILL say this though-- the kind of people who Marquest is talkingabout above-- they DO make it much easier for me to make a living. Not because I'm taking anyone for a ride, but rather because "keeping up with the Jones's" is alive and well.

o

I will admit I am a cloths hog. My Mom always took her girls to the best stores to purchase our clothing because she said as others have said quality last. Since I retired I have lived in jeans so I have not been shopping like I was when I was working.

This week I was shopping for a nice outfit for a Christmas Dinner and I am amazed at the the lack of quality to the price. Maybe I am looking for more than exist these days but it was not quality fabric or construction. Fabric was cheap and the seams were horrible.

A outfit can be labeled wool, cashmere, silk but there is different quality and this quality sucked.

The fashion houses was first line of purchase, Second line is the Major Department store knock off followed by the re-sale/outlets and last thrift store. What I am seeing definitely look like department store bad knock off with designer labels sewed in for a price. I hope that is what is happening because I would hate to think the quality has dropped this bad to make a buck.

Brush I do not know what the markup now is but if you purchased anything from any Department store it was never any more than 3.99 at cost. It might be less these days since everything is made in China. A lamb skin leather jacket was 3.99 it was marked up at 900.00. That is why they can run sales at 50% off and still make a profit.

o

Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 15:25

I have seen this creep into some conversations and some have taken offense that the more expensive is mentioned as a envy tactic.

You must be clairvoyant, marquest!

It must be nice to know everyone's motivations for posting and pronouncing such in public.

Does it bother you that you are wrong?

Something tells me making a nasty suggestion is all you care about, not accuracy.

Good topic, actually.

The answer is, it depends.

As others have mentioned--it depends on the type of article one is purchasing and the purpose of the article.

If I'm looking for clothes to hang around the house or work in the yard, I will sometimes purchase TJ Maxx and Marshall's T shirts and capris for "everyday hang around the house clothes." I used to buy a few things at Target and some years ago Walmart, but after one or two washings the seams break or the fabric fades or pills, so I no longer waste money on buying much clothing wise at Target or Walmart.

That being said, I found a Christian Dior black crepe pantsuit at TJ Maxx in Houston years ago for $125. I snapped it up and wore that pantsuit until I was sick of it--it was my winter uniform for years and years. I finally gave it away.

So, as a friend once told me, "fashion is where you find it."

It matters not--if the item is appropriate, fits well, fits well, is flattering and passes my standards, I'm generally not interested in the source.

I have purchased a few cocktail dresses years ago from resale shops, as well as a few sweaters and wool skirts.
I used to take my daughter's clothing to resale shops.

I don't bother with resale shops now as I have more than enough clothes to last me the rest of my life, in a few size ranges. Very few are trendy, most are classic and I can still wear them as I age, for a good many years yet.

I have found that the better shoes and bags last longer and look nicer. I have found that sometimes paying a higher price for an item doesn't necessarily mean the quality of the item is proportionately that much better relative to the price differential, but usually the styling is more unique and interesting. You pay more for better buttons, better fabric, zippers, and stitching although it may not be noticeable to some. The standard for me is how much use I will get from an item, per cost wearing or use.

That holds true of clothing, shoes, bags, jewelry and household items.

I have found that the people that seem to flaunt clothing and purses with labels (I hope to never see JUICY across anyone else's backside but that's asking too much) are the people that want what they're told to want through advertising. I think it must make them feel better.

Coach bags aren't particularly stylish in my opinion, but the leather ones are extremely durable and worth the money, particularly if you purchase last season's purse at a Coach outlet.

Better clothing, although not easily noticeable at first, fits better, drapes better, is more durable, keeps it's shape and luster longer, and generally just makes you feel better--and although there are many pricey designer high heels that are painful to wear, generally speaking, I've learned that it pays to wear the best shoes you can afford.

Generally--people that worked hard for their money are smart enough to know not to waste it trying to impress some nobody they don't know and never will know. They know how to budget, save, live below their means, so they will eventually have the money to buy better quality items and not have to replace them.

Generally, you get what you pay for.

o

Demi what are you talking about?

Did you notice you seemed to be the only one that read something I know not what into my post and took offense.

What are you guilty of that you took offense to this post? You truly have problems.

o

Not because I'm taking anyone for a ride, but rather because "keeping up with the Jones's" is alive and well.

I know Bill that is why I hate Granite so much. It seems like everyone thinks they have not arrived unless they have a granite counter top. Some of it looks down right cheap. It does not help that I hate the busy designs too so that is two strikes in my mind.

o

I don't buy to impress anybody outside my household.

We paid good money for all wood, Made in Wisconsin bedroom furniture last year. Nobody knows but us, and we certainly appreciate the quality and craftsmanship, even while we sleep.

o

Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 21:12

Demi what are you talking about?

Did you notice you seemed to be the only one that read something I know not what into my post and took offense.

What are you guilty of that you took offense to this post? You truly have problems.

Your games are obvious to everyone.

Give it a rest.

o

Yes everyone but you Demi. It is sad.

o

It is sad, marquest.

You could have started the thread without starting with this assumption you posted:

"I have seen this creep into some conversations and some have taken offense that the more expensive is mentioned as a envy tactic."

Whether you were referring to me specifically or not, I do know I caught a lot of flak last week for mentioning that not everything that corporations produce "is junk" and mentioned Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom and was wrongly accused of trying to make people that can't afford to shop at these stores envious.

I wonder, do you ask Chase (forgive me if I am wrong about names) if she is trying to make people envious when she talks about going to her summer home/cottage on the lake?

Do you ask if Nancy is trying to make people envious when she speaks of Italy? Of others when they report from a vacation in France?

Nah. You didn't do that.

So what else am I supposed to think when you start a thread like you did, huh?

Give it a rest, indeed.

It was a good thread topic without the dig, nasty assumptions about motivations of posters (again, talking about posters and not a subject) and general pot stirring, which was already done quite nicely by the gang last week.

But by all means, go ahead and continue posting what you think of every poster and their motivations when someone you disagree with posts.

Pretty soon you'll be only talking to yourself.

o

This thread was pretty good before this actually.

Maybe the two of you can move this to email?

o

Granite is hard to beat for quality, regardless of whether people are buying it for that reason or to keep up with someone else. What is vile is when it gets ripped out and replaced with some other top quality product just for the sake of change. I know for certain that superb work that I have done in homes has been torn out when the place changed ownership, after just a few years. That is ostentation, not reasonably buying good quality the first time.

For example, I have a cookstove I paid over 4k to own, after going through several cheap pieces of electronic garbage. My grandkids could easily be using it when they are my age, so it will end up as a bargain.

o

Talk to Marquest, she made the allegations.

o

pnbrown, I would probably be one that would break your heart tearing out the granite, I do not like busy. I also do not like a lot of color on walls either. I use earth tones in the brown, beige family. I understand the quality of the stone I just could not live with it around me and your home should be you.

What brand of cooktop did you purchase? I am always looking for suggestions on quality appliances.

o

Talk to Marquest, she made the allegations.

coo coo for cocoa puffs

o

Offense vs defense, cash vs cache Just another one of those threads!

o

Do you ask if Nancy is trying to make people envious when she speaks of Italy?

I speak of visiting family and friends in Italy but you seemed to have conveniently forgotten that.

I don't know why you're so concerned with my travels. This isn't the first time you've mentioned my visits to Italy. Pare che ti pizzichi la gelosia.

o

Just bought 2 wheel bearings the other day. The guy at the counter asks me if I want the bearings with the 1 year warranty for $89 each, or the bearings with the 3 year warranty for $119 each.

I said I'll have to look at them. After examining the bearings, I chose the cheaper higher quality bearings Fedral/Mogul vs the more expensive Chinese imports.

All the reseller was doing was selling a "limited" warranty which they don't honor and/or customers don't use, plus making a huge mark-up on the cheaper imported parts.

One of our customers sells nearly identical products to discount resellers that sell them for $9.99 and under and upscale resellers that sell them for $49.99 plus.

Quality varies batch to batch as materials and suppliers change.

I paid big bucks for an iMac that died 1 month out of warranty, yet have dirt cheap laptops and desktops that have lasted for many years.

o

For the record I don't VISIT my summer home on the lake, I live here all year round. It is my only home.

o

I can't imagine Kate Middleton shopping at thrift stores. Why does she spend so much on clothes when she can look amazing in faded jeans and a tube top?

Chase, no need to apologize for whatever you have. We gave up our woodlands cabin near Salt Fork when we built this new house. The "real" reason was, my wife hates spiders. :)

o

The stove is AGA, which is (or was at least for a while) the brand all the rage with a certain slice of the uber-rich. But that isn't why I bought it, I bought it because there really isn't anything else like it of comparable quality.

o

My point exactly, people!

The allegation made by the OP that "more expensive is mentioned as a envy tactic" is not what I think anyone here does--and see, Chase, I didn't even know for sure if my memory was correct about your lake home and mentioned that in my post (that's how little I care if I didn't get it right--but I seem to recall someone posting they had a second home on the lake) and Nancy, apparently I got it wrong about you traveling to Italy this time--however, I do not ever recall mentioning your travels to Italy prior to this remark at all, I only mentioned once I believe your penchant for posting a succession of responses in Italian.
About all I think of you is that you posted photos of beautiful ceramics (again, that's from memory forgive me if you did not do that).

The point is that it was quite obvious what marquest was doing. It is quite obvious what marquest is doing.

We are a diverse group of people with some things in common--certainly no one is going to have the same financial resources or the same interests or the same experiences or level of education.

Accusing someone of trying to incite envy by mentioning certain corporations in a response to a post about corporations is indicative of reaching very far in a personal agenda.

Enjoy your homes, vacations, friends who travel--I couldn't care less. I am happy for anyone who has been successful enough to have a home they enjoy, or travel, or take up any hobby they want, or shop where they want.

There should be no apologies for success.

o

To be fair, I did have a lake home and city home but sold the city property and moved here a 2 years ago. It may be you're recalling something from a few years back.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 8:37

To be fair, I did have a lake home and city home but sold the city property and moved here a 2 years ago. It may be you're recalling something from a few years back.

Yes, Chase, that is what I thought.
Thank you for clarifying that.

I tend to remember insignificant facts about a lot of people and not always the important ones. I can tell you the birthdays of probably one third of my high school class and
my family and friends call me to settle disputes of memory from as far back as when I was only four or five years old.

However, these last few years new information sometimes does not get coded as accurately, particularly when it is of no consequence to me.

Since Nancy mentions Italy and posts in Italian frequently I obviously wrongly assumed she had actually been to Italy.

The point was not personal--I think you all know that.

I hope you enjoy your home on the lake.
I enjoy mine but it is more work than a home in the city.
The water is very calming and peaceful for me.

o

That's fine Demi, however I must say that I suspect you would have been quite indignant had someone used information about your personal life in a "discussion" with another poster.

o

Earlier on, some folks assumed I paid a fortune for the Galaxy S3. Well, being the sharp businessman I am, I purchased it directly from Samsung on their pre-Black Friday sale for a mere $49 each.

And we got it not because it's the craze, but because the wife and I like to bump our stuff instead of emailing it. No Richard, I can't share our videos.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 9:00

That's fine Demi, however I must say that I suspect you would have been quite indignant had someone used information about your personal life in a "discussion" with another poster.

I don't see where I would object, Chase, if the information was

a--true
b--I had mentioned the information myself or it was an accepted statement of fact about me
c--someone was using that information in making a valid point
d--nothing disparaging or insulting was said or insinuated

Lies are told about me all of the time here, nasty speculations about my personal life have been made.

There was no nefarious intent, just making a point, which is quite valid.

o

Now, back to the subject.

I think it's amusing. All the money still can't buy you class.

Living our daily lives does it make a purchase better because of what we pay or where we shop?

I do not think that is true.

Oh I do. I think the question needs to be whose life do we make better, or worse? It doesn't have to be some thing like blood diamonds to show the possible impact. Local business, craftsmanship, sustainability...another one of my major criteria is profits : jobs provided ratio.

All of the above combined with durability, that sums up AGA stoves. And since the hearth is the heart of the home--good one, Pat!

o

I do not ever recall mentioning your travels to Italy prior to this remark at all

You have.

Since Nancy mentions Italy and posts in Italian frequently I obviously wrongly assumed she had actually been to Italy.

I have been to Italy numerous times. But why do you bother to mention my visits all?

For richer or poorer? Are you kidding me?

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 21:11

I'm not going to walk on eggshells because some people haven't been to England. I haven't been to a lot of places other people have been too--I don't tell Nancy that it is "a bit much" when she refers to Italy as she often does (although I've been there too--wanna tell me that's too much too?)

Keeping track of who goes where, and how often.

o

Great memory, Nancy, better than mine!

I bow to the records.

You mention Italy and all things Italian so much, that is how I think of you.

As to "keeping rack of who goes where, and how often," I simply do not have the time or the inclination.

Most posters aren't important enough to do that, especially innocuous references.

Class is the last thing I would associate with creepers and liars.

o

What an interesting thread!

"I've never been able to buy used clothing. I just can't get myself to wear clothing worn by someone I don't know."

I grew up in hand-me downs and was grateful for them. Rarely did I know who had worn them first, but one time at school a girl came up to me and asked if I knew Mrs. So and so. I said that I did, and asked why she was asking. She said "Because you're wearing my skirt!"

I learned later that both Mrs. So and so and the girl's mother were horrified. But I wasn't. It was a cute skirt and it fit, which meant I didn't stand out in a negative way because of my clothing, at least not on that day. I've bought used upholstered furniture in the past, but with bed-bugs being a problem in the US now, and apparently very expensive to get rid of, I won't be doing that any more.

I have one friend who is a teacher and married to her high school sweetheart, an attorney. They have millions in real estate. She buys her clothes at the thrift shop...and only on mark-down day! Another friend is married to a retired physician who has been a very successful investor. She wears designer clothes, all of which come from consignment shops. She likes the labels but not the price.

I'm with the bargain hunters here. If I'm going to brag about what I paid, it will be how little something cost me.

We've bought new cars in the past, but the last one was long ago. Now we buy low mileage used cars and save a bundle.

I live in jeans these days, so most of my clothes are new, but not very expensive. I shop at Ross on Tuesdays so I get the 10% "senior citizen" discount.

Here is a list of senior discounts that might come in handy for some of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Senior discounts

o

My best deals are on second hand products that I've purchased for pennies on the dollar, used for years, then sold for more than I paid for them.

I've done this countless times with vehicles, boats, motorcycles, tools, equipment, guns, sporting goods etc.

I've got some really nice stuff for free, or been paid to haul it away as well.

I just had a customer give me a 3 year old stackable washer/dryer combo, plus a 4 year old modulating/condensing boiler and indirect water heater worth thousands.

When I was at an estate sale recently I bought boxes of hand tools for less than scrap value.

o

I love thrift shops, second hand stores, flea markets, garage sales, and have gotten some great bargains at Goodwill and the Salvation Army stores. I'd rather spend my money at those kinds of places than at Walmart or any other mega-store, and designer clothing to me is the difference between whether you want your tags on the outside or inside of what you wear.

Honestly, status is not what I'm after in clothing. I'm after comfort, and whether or not I like the item.

o

As to "keeping rack of who goes where, and how often," I simply do not have the time or the inclination.

So I'm the exception!

I'm honored.

o

Honestly, status is not what I'm after in clothing.

Jodik, I never thought of it as status it was as some have said it was quality. That was how my Mom explained it to us. You buy it and it last and do not have to replace. But what I see these days, it is not the case. You can spend the money and still get a inferior product.

Years ago if you spent the money you did not need to see the label you could see it was a quality product. Some stores would not permit some of the clothing we see today for sale in their trash can. Yet they put it out with a 300.00 price tags on a cheap white polyester blouse. I used the blouse as an example because I was looking for a white cotton blouse it was like I was looking for something special.

It is not only clothing it is appliances, Remember Westinghouse was the middle class standard for kitchens and Maytag was the middle class standard for washer and dryers. If you are going to spend a couple thou for kitchen appliance you may as well spend more and get the best and not keep spending a couple thou every couple of years. You will save in the end.

My biggest problem is I want the best at the lowest drop dead price I can find. I do a dance when I find an over the top expensive item dirt cheap.

o

Italy is clearly more mention-worthy than Germany, Nancy. Ah well, sexy is as sexy does. ;-)

I don't understand the skeevishness about used clothing, other than underthings. Sweaters, jackets and pants can be washed thoroughly, no? My ratio of used to new clothing is probably 10/1. eBay is an incredible resource.

I also invest almost exclusively in old/antique upholstered furniture, but that's because I taught myself to reupholster and never looked back. There is simply no comparison in quality between the nicer older pieces and the new imported things on the market today. (Do all the tearing down and refinishing out in the driveway, away from the house, and you won't fear bedbugs.)

Thankfully, if you can't reupholster, upholstery is one arena where seems it's still possible to get quality, made in USA goods -- the Carolinas seem to be thriving on producing good sofas and chairs? You just need to check carefully which lines of a brand are still made here and which imported.

Other than Demi's personal sense of persecution (??), I don't think there's much 'hot' to this topic -- everyone is agreed that quality is preferable to status, whether you spend more for it or not. There are lots of things that are still great bargains for excellent, lasting quality. Pyrex glassware. LL Bean boots. Californian wine. Lee sofas. Klein tools. Faribault blankets.

o

I don't understand the skeevishness about used clothing, other than underthings. Sweaters, jackets and pants can be washed thoroughly, no?

Yes, it absolutely can. And I understand why people buy used. I just cannot bring myself to do it. It's just one of my things that I know intellectually doesn't make sense but I can't help it. I also won't eat food that a stranger made and brought to work or a party. If I don't know them or at least have seen their kitchen, I won't eat what they make! Who knows if they washed their hands! Who knows what is crawling around their kitchen. Crazy, I know (and my DH reminds me all the time).
---------------------------------------------

designer clothing to me is the difference between whether you want your tags on the outside or inside of what you wear.

That is true for some, but it is not the case for everyone. There are lots of "designer" items that do not have any indication on the outside of who made them. Most high end clothing is that way. You cannot generalize and say that because someone wants to or is willing to spend more money for something that is designer they're doing it just because of the label.

o

I used to look cute. Now, my kids do.

We purchased this home with a very expensive professional oven that we could never have afforded, had it not come with the home. We have lived here for 6 years and it has had major repairs 3 times already. Good thing we have a home warranty. It probably retails for $5-6K.

o

redsox, do you mind sharing the brand name?

o

KitchenAid, big honkin' thing with a grill in the middle.

By the way, we used to have a home warranty through 210 but we actually used it so they dumped up and refused to say why.

We replaced it with a warranty through A & E, which I believe is actually run by Sears. They are mainly competent and you can insure as many appliances as you want. In our case, we opt for the fridge, oven and dishwasher because they would be expensive to replace. We have used the warranty on all three of them over the past few years.

o

it looks like an old Buick

o

By the way, we used to have a home warranty through 210 but we actually used it so they dumped up and refused to say why.

There should be laws against this. They want the money but do not want to pay.

I found a KitchenAid fridge at a kitchen display store. It was so cheap I felt if it did not last I would not be out of much money. It has all the bells and whistles with a TV in the door. It has been 5 years and no problems. Now you have me worried what to buy when it needs to be replaced.

o

That's OK Jill, I didn't mean to poke at you. Mr. Peanut has definite Howard Hughes tendencies also and I'm quite the opposite, so it just gets under my skin a bit. :-)

o

Well, I'm now convinced I need to go buy a Mercedes Benz SUV starting at $113,000, ditch the RAV4.

Here is a link that might be useful: way better

o

Sounds like a description of SUPERMAN!!!! That description was funny. Transcends the bounds of time.

o

That's OK Jill, I didn't mean to poke at you.

Oh, I didn't feel poked at all! Certainly nothing compared to the ribbing I get in my own family. I am the only one with this "problem".

o

To continue my thought from above... if we place two items side by side and the higher quality, more well made item costs more... then, yes, in that case it's worth spending a few dollars more. But not if the items are made identical, and one has a higher price tag because of a designer name.

In some ways, we do get what we pay for.

o

Jill I was like that at work too. I would only eat the dish I brought. I do not eat from people I do not know how clean they are.

Also people that think they are giving something they use something cheaper because it is not for them or their family. I just will not risk eating what other people cook.

o

I think much of the problem comes down to determining what quality is. I think the definition varies from person to person. Some people will place a higher value than others on the cut and style of a garment which is why we have so many different cuts of jeans. Clothes that are not of a pretty classic style do not need to invest as much into their quality as many people will cycle through them long before they ever wear out. Also, many people of my generation have not really had much opportunity to experience excellent fabrics and quality, it just was not a priority. My MIL found some Ralph Lauren T-shirts at Sam's once and grabbed them for hubby. Do they have the horse thing embroidered on? Yes, but the cotton is also very nice and I can absolutely tell a difference between that and most of the other T shirts I have. I just cannot pay the upcharge for something that is going to get smeared in mud. There are so many variables that play into the price of an item that it is difficult to determine whether or not paying more is better because it all comes down to the shopper.

On the other hand, I would gladly pay more for an iron that lasts more than 2-3 years. When I had money, I bought a Rowenta. It died after 2-3 years. In case it was a fluke, bought another one, it died after 2-3 years. At least when the cheaper iron dies I am not out as much money but I am sick of purchasing irons! Okay, rant over.

o

In case it was a fluke, bought another one, it died after 2-3 years.

That is incredible. I have had my iron for 15 years. I do not iron much though. Everything goes to the cleaners.

o

Paying more is stupid. Especially when you can buy elsewhere for so much less. I buy NEW quality clothing at consignment & thrift shops. It's amazing the abundance of new clothing that is donated to these places (still with tags). I was without a job in 2001, and that's when I discovered thrift shops. I am forever grateful these places exist, they helped me tremendously in getting by the lean times. Back in 2001 I shopped at these stores out of necessity. But now I do it because I enjoy the great finds (and huge savings).

I have a sewing machine & do my own alterations. So I can purchase quality clothing and customize them to my fit. I have found wonderful antique books, jewelry, and other items. oh and beautiful buttons & accessories for my sewing projects!

o

Marquest, our iron gets used 6 days a week, nothing goes to the cleaners. DH even stems his own suits on the rare occasions that he wears them. When the budget improves, I will definitely send his dress shirts to the cleaners. I hate ironing those the limited times he needs to go to court.

o

"I just will not risk eating what other people cook."

I would miss eating out once in a while.

o

I would miss eating out once in a while

I eat out often I was referring to office workers. Restaurant are inspected.

The last 30 years of my life if I did not eat out I would not have had a meal since I was on the road 7 days a week. It has been a pleasure these days eating at home.

o

My mother always bought my clothes at department stores, never at Penney's or Sears(except underwear). When I had kids, even though we had little money, I did the same. Always bought their clothes at Gimbels or John Wanamaker. I paid good money for my daughter's little smocked dresses. I would have died for a TJ Maxx store back then. I was looking at these adorable little dresses the other day and they cost the same as I spent for her dresses in the 70's.

In years past thrift stores had no interest to me, but I got hooked when a huge one moved across from my gym. I go every week to donate and buy, thus helping the community..lol. Some clothes are new with the tags still on. A few months ago I bought for $3 a cashmere Ralph Lauren sweater set. It's light blue, not my favorite color, but how much would that be at the store? I buy labels, get nothing I don't recognize. Favorites are JCrew J Jill, LLBean Gap, RLauren, Eddie Bauer.. I don't get the skeeviness. I wouldn't buy underwear, bathing suits, or shoes, but I did get a pair of LLBean boots for $3. I think they were $69 in the catalog. Brand new. I think some kid outgrew them. I have small feet.

Every piece of furniture in my house was bought at auction or antique shows, except for the upholstered pieces. Most are one of a kind and so well made compared to anything that comes out of furniture factories today.

o

Lily, your post brought me to another thought, an offshoot of the original post, and that is how particular we become as we get older--if and what areas of our lives we lose interest, compromise or refine.

Twenty years ago I would have purchased a sweater that was not my best color because it was on sale.

These days I'm attempting to remove that from my life which I do not actually love and retaining only that which enhances or enriches my life. So unless I had nothing else to wear, the sale sweater in the color that does not flatter me as much as other colors would stay at the store, because when I got it home I would always choose to wear something else because I knew there were other options that were better. That means I would have wasted whatever I spent on the sweater. (I know this because I have been going through my closet eliminating those mistakes of the last ten years, many with sales tags. All of those "good deals" at TJ Maxx and Marshall's and local department stores aren't so good if they aren't actually worn)

I purchased a buttery gold satin trapeze cut jacket with large shawl collar and drawstring waist almost five years ago that I thought was a bit much but it looked good on me and I saw the versatility. It is my go to jacket-- and I've worn it well over one hundred occasions including to funerals with a black skirt, luncheons, with blue jeans, and with cocktail dresses. Strangers stop me and tell me how great that jacket looks. If I am in a hurry and don't know what to wear I always grab that jacket. The quality was high so it still looks great after dry cleanings.

So, was paying more better? You betcha.

Taking the time to refine what we need and reconciling that with what we want, while working with our budgets and applying our resourcefulness can and will ultimately prevent us from wasting money while enjoying our purchases the most.

o

Demi, the stage you will reach in a few years when you will not care as much if it is your favorite color or if anyone thinks it is your favorite color.

If it feels good becomes the priority. Do not take this comment as an attack it only attacks my age vs someone younger.

You reach a freedom age. JMO I have noticed since I reached my freedom age I went outside my comfort box and items I thought was not my color or style are the ones I get the most compliments.

I now hear my mothers voice...............

"It is not the garment it is you. Whatever you have on hold your head up and walk like you own the room. "

I did not fully understand what she meant until I hit that freedom age. I also know why you see old people wearing purple jackets and orange polka dot hats. I do hope I do not get that free.

o

While I think a properly managed thrift store can be wonderful, they are also not a panacea. The thrill of the hunt can be wonderful but for me to visit most thrift stores requires quite a bit of gasoline with the added problem that there is no guarantee they will have what I need. I also need to find the ones that are worthwhile to visit. Most of the ones I have stopped in are not worth my time.

o

We've got some really nice stuff at Good Will, thrift stores and T.J.Maxx.

We've donated some really nice stuff to The Salvation Army and Good Will as well.

o

The next town over attracts a lot of well-off retirees from elsewhere, and when they move in and realize that the style is 24/7, 365 laid-back pseudo-mountaineering chic (you want to look like you just got back from climbing the North Face - as in, wear lots of North Face) they end up cleaning out their closets and donating to the thrift store, which supports the animal shelter.

So there's quite a bit of local folk lore on the smokin' deals on expensive stuff people find there.

o

Goodwill is good for hunting valuable items.

MILWAUKEE (AP) "Red Nose" just meant a reindeer named Rudolph to Karen Mallet until she bought a print by that name for $12.34 at a Goodwill store in Milwaukee. It turned out to be a lithograph by American artist Alexander Calder worth $9,000.

Last month, a Salvador Dali sketch found at a Goodwill shop in Tacoma, Wash., sold for $21,000. Last summer, a North Carolina woman pocketed more than $27,000 for a painting she bought for $9.99 at Goodwill. And last spring, a dusty jug donated in Buffalo, N.Y., was discovered to be a thousands-of-years-old American Indian artifact it was returned to its tribe instead of being offered for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goodwill finds

o

A while ago here in PA someone found an original copy of the Declaration of Independence at a flea market in Lancaster county. She bought it for the frame, and when she removed the picture ,she found this underneath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here