Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pope again

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 16:43

"Netherlands foreign affairs minister Frans Timmermans blasts head of the Catholic Church for gay marriage attack"

Never will get it right...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch minister slams Pope for gay hate Christmas message

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pope again

The Popes entitled to his beliefs as a head of a religion however he deserves rebuke his rhetoric is pure garbage lacking dignity!

o

so much for "good will towards men" in this holiday season.

Apparently the Pope excludes certain segments of the population from that belief.

Religion meddling into civil rights, equal rights, politics, not a good mix. For that matter, if a specific religion wants to delve into this kind of behavior, it might be a good idea for this country, and any others that also provide tax exempt status, to consider terminating that advantage.

Religion is one thing, politics is another. when the lines are crossed, are no longer separate, then special exemptions from the tax code should no longer be allowed.

o

Little: "Religion is one thing, politics is another. when the lines are crossed, are no longer separate, then special exemptions from the tax code should no longer be allowed."

I don't see what the Dutch Minister's politics have to do with the U.S. tax code. My laptop won't access this site. What did the Pope say about U.S. politics and gay rights?

o

don_socal, I agree that they never seem to get it right; on both sides of the debate. I wrote my (Catholic) pastor because I thought I was given a 'civics lesson' instead of the spiritual sustenance which I sought.
I am sorry to say that his reply exacerbated the theme of his 'homily' - the original bone of contention.
When I was a child of 6 or 7, we regularly sang a hymn which included the following verse:

"O Mother of all mankind,
Lead Russia back home again,
That over a peaceful world
Thy heart may graciously reign."

I learned of Russia, the Soviet Union, communism etc. quite outside of my religious edification. I used to wonder if the religious efforts of so many children had anything to do with the changes in that part of the world.
I cannot know; but my Faith assures me that prayers were answered - albeit decades later.
In fact, it was the political statement " Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall![12]" that started the ball rolling.
Leaders of religion should confine their efforts to the spiritual. They have a clear mandate in Luke Chap. 20 verse 25.
"And he said unto them, render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's and unto God the things which be God's"

o

elvis, from the link provided in the OP

The head of the Catholic Church is calling on faith groups to unite against same-sex marriage, saying the legislation which is being passed around the world is a threat to the survival of the human race.

And from the Pope, himself. his words again from the link provided in the OP

In his festive speech, the pope said the traditional family must be protected, and stressed all faiths, even non-Christian religions, must come together to stop marriage equality.

He added that gay and trans people were destroying humanity itself, saying they are manipulating their God-given gender to suit their sexual choice and destroying the very essence of the human creature in the process.

Earlier this month, in comments released for the upcoming World Day of Peace 2013 in January, the Pope said gay people, like abortion or euthanasia, was a threat to justice and world peace

That is what I was referring to in my post, not the Dutch Minister's politics.

o

Ah. I agree with you; and I'll take it a step further and say that IMO the pope should stick to the spiritual health of his flock.

I've never agreed with politics from the pulpit--any pulpit.

o

and stressed all faiths, even non-Christian religions, must come together to stop marriage equality.

Wow! How dare someone declare what other religions must do.

And does he even understand the irony in his statement? Stop marriage equality. Right, a great thing for a religious (or any) leader to preach. Stopping equality. Can't have equality, now can we?

It's this kind of thing that makes me not understand the blind following of one person's words. Really, it's just crazy IMO.

o

Yes, we've got one of those as well:

Archbishop of Westminster attacks gay marriage plan

Leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England said there was no mandate to enforce same-sex marriage laws

Best wishes
Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Man in pretty frock hates gays

o

It's because they do not understand the concept of love.

And does he even understand the irony in his statement? Stop marriage equality.

Ya think? They've been doing nothing else but fight equality, for millenia.

o

Given the history of convoluted 'logic' in this religion, I'll venture a guess at an outcome.

If gay men can't marry, they'll still have the option of becoming members of the Catholic clergy. THAT has worked out SO WELL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here