Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wishing President George HW Bush a speedy recovery

Posted by heri_cles 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 19:05

I read that the President is still hospitalized with a fever.

I think he is a great man (although I was obviously not happy with son W) and wish him a speedy recovery. This has to be tough on all of his family including his sons, especially over the holiday season. Get well Mr. President.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wishing President George HW Bush a speedy recovery

Yes he is in my prayers. They have moved him to intensive care.

o

I admired the man for his courage in war and intelligence in running for Congress and also for stints as the CIA directorship and in other public services.
"Read my lips" is going to haunt his family for some time. I voted for him the first time but not the second run.

o

His campaign manager, son George W , turned me off when he decided to run the Willie Horton and "Dukakis in the tank" ads.
I thought they were in bad taste at the time but I guess all is fair in politics and war. He beat Duke so for most people, it didn't matter how he did it. I never forgot what Dubya did though.
His greasy campaign tactics showed what kind of a person Dubya was even before I read "Fortunate Son" and later learned what he would do during his disastrous Presidency.

o

Good grief; I should have known better; I thought this was a thread to wish GHW Bush well. Which I most certainly do.

o

Elvis, the only cretin here breaking the emphathy code is Heri. The rest of us (few) are wishing him well.

o

Best wishes to the old WW II pilot...

o

I also wish him well, and agree with Marshall's post of 19:48.

Am fearful for him, though. Bronchitis at an advanced age, and with Parkinson's, is a very dangerous illness. Coughing is a violent act upon the body, and if someone is weakened by inactivity and has lost a lot of muscle tone, it's difficult to overcome. The further weakening and assault on the lungs invites pneumonia. The doctors must have him on prednisone, and if that isn't working, then they must be pretty worried.

On another forum someone praised H.W. for signing off on the Human Genome program; I hadn't known about this; the writer said that it was a significant contribution to science and medicine, and that it required intelligence and foresight to grasp its importance. So, if true, thank you, 41!

o

I'm worried for him too. I hope he recovers soon and gets back to playing golf. I loved the fact that President George W would deploy his father George HW and Clinton as diplomats.

o

the only cretin here breaking the emphathy code is Heri.

Another ugly provocation from you Marshallz. When is enough enough with the name calling and repeated harassment?

I feel badly for George HW Bush and his sons, but I stand by my comments about George W. Bush regarding his earlier role as campaign manager for his father and his tenure as President, and I briefly explained why. His actions and inaction resulted in a lot of unnecessary death and human suffering. Never forget that.

At the same time I empathize with anyone with a sick parent as well as anyone who has lost a parent. If you think you are a judge of character Marshallz, you are full of it, and full of yourself. You know little or nothing about my life, my work, my family etc. and are neither qualified nor entitled to call me names.

Continue on with your pseudo-intellectual, holier than thou attitude, but spare me your rude and uncalled for character assessment.

o

Thank you, Heri. I'll take your criticism to heart and mend my ways.

o

the only cretin here breaking the emphathy code is Heri.

Marshall, that was totally uncalled for! Heri gets to say what he wants on his own thread.

My best wishes for GHWB's speedy recovery (even though I didn't agree with his politics one bit).

o

My cretinous manner caused me to open this thread and recently to call on people to reach out to those who are alone around the holidays. I don't know where you got this thing about me lacking empathy, which has been a theme of yours. It is really an unwelcome, hurtful charge and one that has no application to my life.
You probably don't believe this but I have given more that I have taken in my life in so many ways and will go to the grave with that formulation intact. I often take issue with those who are self centered and selfish and in my estimation, that means a lot of Republicans and Libertarians.
I also had a large problem with the way that Bush lied and manipulated the public in order to invade and occupy Iraq.
The empathy I have is for the thousands of families of dead and wounded soldiers and the countless deaths and injuries to innocent civilians in that long and useless war.
Had we not followed Bush, Saddam Hussein would have become just another despot domino in the Arab Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Empathy for the devil

o

And I join you in condemning those deeds and all those deaths and grievous injuries. Libertarians would agree with you although there are self-proclaimed political libertarians whose values and votes belie their claims.

o

But we kicked ass in Libya, and accomplished the intended regime change, but that's all good when done by Obama.

USA
USA
USA

You were cheering while others bled to death.

o

But we kicked ass in Libya, and accomplished the intended regime change, but that's all good when done by Obama.

This is just sad. Remind me how many American soldiers died in this fight. Remind me of how long we have occupied this country. Remind me of how much was spent fighting this war. Remind me of the Libyan not asking for help as they were fight for the removal of their dictator.

It is just revision thoughts when you do not support your President but if it makes you feel better I guess you must do what you do.

o

I wish George HW Bush the best as well, although I agree it doesn't sound too good. Being in the hospital for five weeks with a cough which won't clear up isn't a good sign. Hope the doctors can turn it around.

I never voted for him , but thought he was a dignified old aristocrat . I always found it odd that W was his son..the bumbling inarticulate boob that he is. Maybe he was adopted ...lol

o

Oh..I get it!...The towel heads dying didn't matter, Marquest. I get it!..I get your point!

It's okay for the USA to bomb the hell out of people as long as their own don't have to die. Got it!...

o

Brush..that is not what she was saying. You are being very judgmental and quite frankly insulting.

Some day maybe you can explain to me why your son voluntarily joined the killing machine.

o

Brush I am not naive enough to think you did not understand what I said. Avoid all you want. I know it hurts to face the truth. Whatever helps you look in the mirror and sleep at night carry on.

You need justification that Obama is just a horrible President. Continue on with your fantasy you are in the minority.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 15:13

I don't like seeing anyone getting ill. That said GHW Bush was a liar and that should not be forgotten. He was up to his neck in Iran Contra, denied it, refused to testify and then pardoned Weinberger, Abrams, McFarlane and others that were involved stopping any additional investigation. He also nominated Thomas to the supreme court to replace one of the greatest justices ever to have served which was about the most cynical political move I've ever seen in my lifetime.

I'm not happy anyone is ill but he was not a good president, not a good person and bad for the country.

Don't forget he was also head of the RNC during watergate. It's hypocritical to laude someone's accomplishments and give a pass on their misdeeds just because they are getting older and in ill health.

Edited to add that I accept that I am a cretin.

This post was edited by kwoods on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 15:15

o

I wish George HW Bush a complete recovery from his current health problems.

I second what kwoods wrote, and will also add the Panama invasion to the list of what he did wrong while in positions of power.

o

I will keep President Bush and his family in my prayers.

There are times when the criticism is better left unsaid out of politeness and respect for the individual or family. This is one of those times IMO. Knowing the nature of this board, I am quite certain that there will be more appropriate times (IMO) for the criticism of his son.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 15:48

My thoughts and prayers are with you President HWBush.

o

I like the man, think he's led an admirable life, and wish him a peaceful journey.

At Christmas, I'm always reminded of his 'Thousand points of light' statement, what with all the tiny LED lights everywhere.

o

There are many 'good' outcomes. Pneumonia is "The old man's friend". There are many worse ways to die.

o

Kwood, you cannot hope for more than Cretin Second Class but Brush edges you out for second place with a Cretin Second Class with Clusters of Bitterpits.

o

There has been no President ever who did not have grave faults attached to him and his decisions when his time in office was over, but I've always said here that I did like and did vote for President George H Bush.

If pneumonia is to be what takes him, I wish it would hurry up and put the man out of his misery, he has felt badly for a weeks now.
There are certainly worse ways to go and ways that take years instead of weeks, but I would wish for him and for those who love him for either a fast recovery or a fast and peaceful end.

o

Here's hoping President Bush pulls through and spends the rest of his days feeling GOOD.

Why not just let it go at that? The compulsion some have to temper good wishes with caveats is so wrong. These are the same people who say a dish is good but not hot enough, or that a woman would be pretty if only she wasn't so heavy.

Whiners; never satisfied. I'll bet when their faces are in repose, the corners of their mouths turn down and their lips are all squinchy. Blech.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here