Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Boehner Doesn't have the Votes

Posted by ann_t 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 20:24

Apparently he postponed the vote because he doesn't have the support from his own party.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Boehner Doesn't have the Votes

I heard on the news that they are all going home for Christmas. It's all over.

o

Going home for Christmas and back on 12/27.

o

Yay! Over the cliff!

o

Not good.....he rolled the dice and lost but it means that the House Republicans will not sign on to anything that involves taxes on the wealthy.....even though the majority of the country says they are ok with it.

The President won the election. He won it on a very clear platform. Very scary that there are those who hate him so much they will go against the will of the American people even if it means another recession.

It is not Obama and his polices that will bring our economy and investments down ....it is the self righteous, bigots who cannot bring themselves to , go a long with someone "like" the President

What a screwed up country.....

o

Not good.....he rolled the dice and lost but it means that the House Republicans will not sign on to anything that involves taxes on the wealthy.....even though the majority of the country says they are ok with it.

The President won the election. He won it on a very clear platform. Very scary that there are those who hate him so much they will go against the will of the American people even if it means another recession.

It is not Obama and his polices that will bring our economy and investments down ....it is the self righteous, bigots who cannot bring themselves to , go a long with someone "like" the President

What a screwed up country.....

o

"What a screwed up country....."

You know on some issues my nationalistic side has taken offense at statements like that. Try as I might, on this issue (probably many more) you are absolutely correct.

o

Jmc, yes back on the 27th likely to magically solve the problem in 3 days. They are a joke. What a way to run the richest, most powerful country in the world....its a joke....and not a good one.

Pathetic....

o

I don't blame them.

NO taxes on anyone until waste and fraud are eliminated and Obama and the Democrats identify and propose MEANINGFUL spending cuts.

I think that's what some house members have been hearing.

o

Sorry frank, I actually have huge respect for the American people and your majestic land. Maybe that is why I am so upset with the carp going on in the last few years.

You are so much better than all this on every front. My Mom would say you need a swift kick in the behind .

I don't know when you will get your collective act together again but I believe you will......but Lord knows what it will take

o

This is excellent news. Did anyone see the latest Bill Moyers show? The fiscal cliff is not so bad and some things can be handled retro-actively. And at that point, all the taxes will go up and Obama can selectively sign the tax cuts he wants. And sooner or later something will pass.

Watch Moyers- they say Obama is to the right of Eisenhower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiscal Realities Bill Moyers

o

Demi: I agree!!! Let's start with the tax breaks, preferenntial treatment and perks that Wall Street, Big Oil and the very wealthy receive. That's an easy way to start cutting waste.

o

Back when I had my first job with the federal government, decades ago, people were complaining about all the waste. Nothing has changed in that regard, demi, and it won't change in the future. It sounds good, "cut waste" but it will never happen.

And the biggest waste? The Department of Defense. Where are those pallets of $9 billion in bills that was "misplaced" in Iraq?

o

If anyone is against waste in government, please by hyper vigilant regarding any hawkish rhetoric coming out of DC against Iran. The Iraq debacle will cost us trillions of dollars and ten of thousands of wounded and thousands of dead; we don't need the same with Iran.

Stop the waste before it has a chance to begin!

edited for brain-finger disconnect.

This post was edited by nancy_in_venice_ca on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 21:52

o

Alex, you may have hit the nail on the head. If the Republicans don't play ball all taxes will go up and they will be in a very bad negotiating position. Not only that the majority of Americans will blame them for the mess....look out 2014

o

Howard Dean hopes we go over the cliff. He said in the long run it will be a good thing.

Poor Johnny Boehner. I'll bet he's smoking like a chimney and probably taking a few drinks tonight too. He sees Cantor trying to take away his throne.

o

The markets will blame them tomorrow if Demi doesn't tonight!
Most idiotic crap ever that they played today!
The Pledge master with his paddle.

"Grover Norquist's announcement that he would not consider it a violation of the Americans for Tax Reform pledge his politicians supported Boehner's Plan B, which would make permanent almost all of the Bush tax cuts, with the exception of those falling on earnings of $1 million or more."

Freedom works remember those baby wipes went from supporting plan B yesterday to being against it today.!
LOL this is too funny!

Yes the Markets will;l not take kindly tomorrow to this wishy, washy gambit that didn't play out today!

These are economic criminals at their worst! Vote them all out!

o

Retiring 9 term Republican from OHIO LaTourette, saw the situation differently and added that this wasn't just a blow to the negotiations over taxes and spending but a mark on the party itself.
"It's the continuing dumbing down of the Republican Party, and we are going to be seen, more and more, as a bunch of extremists that can't even get the majority of our own people to support the policies we're putting forward," he said. "If you're not a governing majority, you're not going to be a majority very long."

o

The party is sick and have many sick elements within the party. When you follow Gover you and your party have problems and I do not think the party is representing a healthy government for the people and by the people.

What have we become. It is acceptable for a person that is not elected and make a our Representatives sign a pledge to destroy the government of the US.

My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.
Grover Norquist

Grover Norquist Quote

o

They did manage this lets hear it from the cricketeers great work guys! dig that grave for your ACCURSED PARTY!

It entirely eliminates federal funding for services like Meals on Wheels " which serves 1.7 million seniors" by getting rid of the Social Services Block Grant. This would also eliminate federal funds for child care and related assistance for 4.4 million children; services for nearly 1 million disabled individual; and child protective services which serve 1.8 million at-risk children
They also dismantle programs that help homeowners and prevents foreclosures, one of the most critical sources of federal assistance for homeowners who are struggling with foreclosure and need loan modifications. Not only would this limit the home preservation options available to struggling homeowners but would also undermine efforts to support the housing market’s fragile recovery
And they eliminate guaranteed funding for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, significantly weakening its ability to make sure that the financial products and services that Americans depend on every day"including credit cards, mortgages, and loans"work better for the people who use them.

Introduced by Rep. Eric Cantor [R-VA7] on December 19, 2012
Current Status: Referred to Committee

NOW YOU KNEW THIS CRIMINALS WERE OUT TO DISMANTLE THE CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU!
They should be horse whipped in the streets!

Here is a link that might be useful: what a crock

This post was edited by labrea on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 23:52

o

It amazes me that a group of politicians whom are voted into office to serve the will of the people of the United States would sign a pledge written by a tea party lobbyist. Who the h@#@ is Grover Norquist? Did anyone vote for him?

Any one that signed that pledge should be prosecuted. A definite conflict of interest.

I hate to say it but we should just go over the cliff. At that point the Republicans will have a very hard time voting against any tax decrease for any one.

o

It entirely eliminates federal funding for services like Meals on Wheels " which serves 1.7 million seniors" by getting rid of the Social Services Block Grant. This would also eliminate federal funds for child care and related assistance for 4.4 million children; services for nearly 1 million disabled individual; and child protective services which serve 1.8 million at-risk children

Time for the nuns to get back in the bus and drive to DC!

o

Go over the freaking cliff then abolish all the Bush tax cuts let them expire. The world will be justified to declare economic war on us for dragging everyone into a recession or worse.
You'll get defense cuts * budget cuts & shrink the economy and the percentage of debt to GDP will not change a bit it's happened in all the nation s that adopted austerity plans.
Oh look we reduced the deficit & screwed growth, productivity & jobs ! BUT WE MADE DAMNED SURE NO ONE IS GETTING FOOD STAMPS!

Dow Futures for Tomorrow already down 190 LOL I wonder did Eric Cantor Cash in again today?

o

If we get out of tomorrow without a 300 point drop it will be a miracle or those fat asses will have done something to prevent it I don't see that happening.
Merry Christmas a gift from sure we have a enough votes to get this done!
Hit that Iceberg damn it! We just voted to defund the lifeboats

o

We just voted to defund the lifeboats

First a LOL! and then a genuine lament.

o

I hope the investigate Eric Cantors stock trades yesterday?

o

Wanna bet?! I don't think you know the president well enough to categorize him as a "nice guy". He's involved in the biggest hoax against the American citizen than you care to investigate.

And the Democrats are NOT going to allow him to penalize seniors with his false charges that SS benefits add to our deficit.

Kill the messengers, not me!

Obama�s Historic Assault on Social Security

A Black Agenda Radio commentary by Glen Ford

"He can accomplish what Republicans only dream about."

President Obama and his Republican partners in austerity have choreographed a kind of bi-partisan ballet, in which the dancers reach out to each other in slow motion, their fingers almost touching, teasing the audience. These cheap and transparent theatrics are designed to transmit a soap opera-like sense of drama: "Can the two parties come to a compromise for the sake of the country?" But, the fact is, Obama and the Republicans reached most of their grand bargain more than a year ago, when they slashed $1.7 trillion out of domestic spending over a decade. As liberal Obamite Robert Kuttner, of Demos, points out, there�s very little left to cut except Medicare and Social Security.

Social Security has always been Obama�s Great White Whale; he�s conspired with Republicans and right-wing Democrats to harpoon the mother of all New Deal programs since the very start of his presidency. But Social Security is not an easy mark. George Bush found that out in his second term, when he suffered his worst domestic defeat in attempting to privatize the program.

It would take a Black Democrat, fresh from a near-landslide election, to put Social Security on the chopping block, as Obama did in January of 2009. But before he could move in for the kill, Obama and his allies had to convince the public that Social Security is a major contributor to the federal budget deficit � which is a lie. Social Security runs on its own stream of revenues that go into the Social Security Trust Fund, totally separate from general taxation and debt. However, by endless repetition of the Big Lie � that Social Security adds to the federal deficit � Obama and other corporate Democrats and Republicans succeeded in maneuvering the program into the austerity debate, where it does not belong.

Kucinich: NO to #CatFoodChristmas
Chained CPI Chains Seniors to Poverty

Washington, Dec 20 -

Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today strongly objected to a proposal to cut Social Security benefits. The White House suggested a reduction in Social Security to cut costs as part of the so-called "fiscal cliff" negotiations. The proposal called the "Chained Consumer Price Index" would result in a reduction of benefits for Social Security recipients even though Social Security does not contribute to the debt and should not be part of debt reduction negotiations.

"Will Seniors be pushed off the �fiscal cliff�? Social Security did not cause the deficit, but the White House�s plan to lower Social Security cost-of-living benefits could eventually reduce Seniors� annual benefits by hundreds of dollars. The gimmick is called the �Chained Consumer Price Index.� The Chained C.P.I. works this way: As the cost-of-living goes up, seniors inevitably turn to cheaper alternatives.

"For example, if seniors usually eat steak but then can�t afford its higher price, they can switch to something cheaper, like cat food- - and the cost-of-living calculation would be �chained� to the cheaper item - - cat food. So, the less you pay for food the less benefits you get. The �chained CPI� benefit cut will chain aging seniors to a poverty of choices, a lower standard of living, with cheaper products.

"The chained CPI formula doesn�t take into account seniors� rising health care costs. If it did benefits would go up. There is no justification to cut Social Security benefits. No to throwing seniors off the fiscal cliff. No to a Cat Food Christmas."

Feeling betrayed, yet?

o

"We are going to be seen more and more as a bunch of extremists who cannot even get the majority of our own people to support policies we are putting forward."

o

Feeling betrayed, yet?

NO!!!!

Betrayed to me would be a President that said he refused to negotiate.

The BATCRAPCRAZY wanted SS, Medicare, Medicaid and Food Stamps on the table. That is negotiation. Everybody put something on the table that they do not like. I have not seen any Conservative on HT that have a problem with Food Stamps being cut it sounds like a need to for the poor and elderly to sink or swim. Too much help being given to "The Lesser of thee" attitude.

I have been negotiating since I stopped wearing diapers. I cannot say I have seen the same from the Conservative of today.

o

I fail to see why the keep being called conservatives when they are called extremists within their own party!

o

As suspected, you didn't read what the left had to say, you only peed your diaper.

o

Brush, I hope you pay attention to what Kucinich and Ford have to say about workers' right to organize, and their support for unions.

o

As suspected, you didn't read what the left had to say, you only peed your diaper.

After I took the diapers off I learned to read and.......

I do not suspect the extremists final goal..They have signed a pledge that confirms their goal.

My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.
Grover Norquist

Grover Norquist Quote

o

Market manipulation at it's finest!

o

My guess is that President Obama will work with the senate Republicans / Democrats to come up with a version they can support, then hand it off to the House.

Where it will attract enough Democrats and Republican votes to pass, leaving the fringes to cry in their beer. And if the teapartiers shoot it down, then off the cliff we go, taxes go up and spending gets cut.

Then President Obama will work with the senate Republicans / Democrats to come up with a version they can support, then hand it off to the House. And if the teabaggers shoot it down, it isn't going to be too difficult to find who to blame for the debacle.

o

They did manage this lets hear it from the cricketeers great work guys! dig that grave for your ACCURSED PARTY!

Message from the Republicans: Merry Christmas Children, Merry Christmas Grandmas & Grandpas!

Gotta love the silence on that.

o

Here is what I believe to be the Republican's Plan "C"

Do nothing before Dec 31st and allow all the tax breaks to expire. Although that will result in a tax increase for all Americans, it won't be their fault after all the President would not give in on a tax increase for the wealthy. All his fault.

Then when they get back January 3rd pass a bill to lower the tax rates for all those those making less than 400K as per President Obama's plan.

That way they will be legislating a tax reduction for the middle class and status quo for the wealthy not a tax increase!

What a difference a few days can make.....

o

Ah but, the Dems already brought that up--tax cuts for the middle class. ALL Republicans voted it against it.

o

No they refused to raise taxes on the wealthy...big difference.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 12:01

No they refused to raise taxes on the wealthy...big difference.

Actually you beat me to it.

That is the difference.

Except Boehner did agree to raise taxes on the wealthy.
Not everyone agreed with him.

o

The President won the election on a very specific and clear platform. The majority of Americans agree with the President...many of them Republicans and many of them wealthy.

The real problem is that there are some within the party that simply cannot abide the thought of giving the President what he wants...they would rather throw the entire country under the bus. It's time the tail stopped wagging the dog in the Republican party.

o

Hmmm...maybe we're talking about 2 different things?

Back in July of this year:

Jeff Sessions Makes Excuses for Republicans Refusing to Pass Middle Class Tax Cuts.

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III, the great Senator from the state of Alabama did his best to diminish the fact that the Senate just passed the Democratic tax plan to extend the Bush tax cuts for all income under $250,000, which all of the Republicans just voted against during this interview on Fox over the weekend.

o

Got it !!!

Yes they did refuse to extend the tax cuts only on the middle class. Think they worried that would loose them any bargaining power on the $250K gang....and they be right!

o

Yon Cantor has a lean and hungry look...

o

He has a look I associate with Judas just before he sold Jesus to the Romans.

o

Yes Marshall he always has a scary smile on his face.

o

Yes they did refuse to extend the tax cuts only on the middle class. Think they worried that would loose them any bargaining power on the $250K gang....and they be right!

Most likely that was the case.

Methinks the Prez is roping the dopes again (shhh!)

o

Cantor has the look of a party hyena ready to eat one of it's own alive. Been watching the Rhino parade for ages not the litmus tests, the party purity pledges. The lock step loser brigade has cracked & it's own speaker seems to have found himself out of step & assailed from all sides with this Cantor fiend in the wings! A zombie craving BRAINNNNNS!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 10:02

Cantor represents the next county over from me, an uncomfortable closeness. The only good thing about him and his merry band of TP Chuckleheads is that they will implode the republican party. Just hope it occurs before they fulfill their goal of imploding the nation.

o

He sure had support from the voters in Ohio. Lots and lots of wealthy people in Ohio apparently. Or lots and lots of anti-Obama types. Hope they smile as they pay their taxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here