Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McConnell Republican Wast of Time

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 6, 12 at 23:20

"Senate history may have been made today when Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) attempted to play partisan games with his own bill to allow the President to raise the debt ceiling."

"What we have is here a case of Republicans not taking yes for an answer The Republican leader objects to his own idea," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) announced on the floor. "So I guess we have a filibuster of his own bill."

This left McConnell sputtering that he didn't want the vote, and he suggested that he now presumes every single bill needs a filibuster proof majority to pass instead of a straight up and down vote. "What we're talking about here is a perpetual debt ceiling grant, in effect, to the president, " McConnell said. "Matters of this level of controversy always require 60 votes."

In other words, in McConnell's world, there are no more up and down votes everything has to be voted on as if it had already been filibustered. And the country wonders why nothing gets done in this chamber.

This moment allowed the Democrats to seize on McConnell's blatant and rather hysterical, if unintentional, parody of Republican obstructionism as they pointed out that he may have had made history today by filibustering his own bill.

This man has continued to waste the peoples time & my patience for the last 4 yeasr!
He succeeds at being a political toilet!

Here is a link that might be useful: WASTE PIPE from KENTUCKY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McConnell Republican Wast of Time

Might have to flush twice...

o

There are times that one has to wonder about the mental stability of some of our nation's lawmakers. Rather scary to think how often nut cases get elected to some of the highest offices in our country. This Mitch fella qualifies, I suspect: I object to my own bill! How do you make sense of this guy?

Kate

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 7:59

"I would like to make a proposal and I object to my proposal"

.....I am sure that fauxites can twist and spin on this

o

He should be censured!

o

He should be tried for treason!

o

First class money grubbing pig?

o

When people pull "stunts" - isn't part of the calculation a certainty it'll work?

Not only is McConnell a waste of time; he's a waste of space, waste of oxygen, waste of...

o

Almost a waste of that second flush...

o

This is one of the things that lost them the election. On top of obstructionism and being out of touch with US Americas, they have no credibility. In the roll for that vote, when McConnell presented his position, Reid observed that he was filibustering his own vote, and the Chair, with a real double-take, said, "Whiplash."

Talk about wasting money.

o

Talk about wasting money.

and there is all this concern of how much money is wasted on people getting Food Stamps.

o

Does anyone else look at his head, neck and expression and think...tortoise?

o

Yes his nickname is the turtle! If you Google mcConnell & Turtle and click images you will find numerous ones!
That might soften some towards him as some find turtles cute!

o

Honestly, I can find enough to dislike about McConnell without making fun of how he looks. I'm just sayin'...

o

He looks more like a devil to me than a turtle.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 17:18

It was reported that McConnell was so surprised and ashamed of his senatorial screw-up that he immediately withdrew into his shell.

o

Maybe not on a Seven Wonders scale like The Lighthouse of Alexandria or The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, but isn't Google a wonder with all of its information (much of it filed under "U" for useless) a click away?

The Chinese look at the turtle as a symbol of longevity - could that have been what first captivated Elaine Chao (of Sec'y of Labor in the Bush II cabinet fame) back in 1993? I don't know, he was a creepy little mutt even back then.

McConnell's meteoric rise in net worth is pretty interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thar's money in all them thar imports

o

There are rumblings that Ashley Judd might challenge him in 2014. She actively opposes mountaintop mining, though, which could make it tough for her to win. But I think it would be an interesting race.

o

Yes, because we all know that more debt will save our economy. haha!!

o

Oh look a new member who has no opinion on the topic other than a drive by drop line!

o

They are like drive by shooters. But they have bad aim and shooting blanks.

o

I'm waiting for this one to start a Michigan anti union post.
IP address had who ever it is right at a city hall in Michigan!
Can't say where because we are discouraged from doing that by the forum.!

o

It is odd that a person would start an account just to make that statement, but "to each their own".

o

Comopean, would be very interested in hearing your opinion on the debt ceiling, why it needs to be raised and what the impact of not doing so means to the economy.

o

The only reason I would support raising the debt ceiling is if I thot more debt would help our economy. So....if you want to show me how more debt at this time would help, feel free. I am reasonably sure that more debt is going to crush this economy, not help it. But I am open to what you have to say.

o

That would make a nifty new thread meanwhile your poaching on McConnell's shenanigans. You support his proposal & then filibuster of the proposal?

o

So....if you want to show me how more debt at this time would help, feel free.

Sure. Thats easy. Right now interest rates are at near-historical lows, in fact inflation-tied gvt bonds pay a negative interest, IOW investors are paying us to borrow their money.

So lets look at infrastructure - roads and, say, internet. Replacing and widening over-crowded dangerous, pot holed roads saves us money for years to come - everything from hundreds of thousands of hours of traffic jams to millions of dollars in car repairs from all the pot holes. The borrowed money goes directly into the economy paying salaries, buying materials, creating a multiplier effect all down the chain. Which in turn stimulates the economy, raising revenues, and the now more efficient economy - goods and people moving more rapidly on the roads, makes more money and making it very easy to pay back the loans.

Or high speed internet - we rank what - 10th? in average internet speeds to businesses and households. Wire the country with fiber optics. Increase everybody's access to the major driver in the world economy today. Same thing; multiplier effect with increased orders for equipment, money circulating, more increased productivity, efficiency, more people working from home saves money, boosts the economy, creates more tax revenue, and its easy to pay back the dirt cheap loans.

Now the contrary, cutting gvt spending and firing people, has the opposite effect. The economy contracts, less revenue, the debt increases. As proven by the recent experiment in Europe.

o

Corn, do you realize what the economic impacts are of NOT raising the debt ceiling? Do you know what that would do to America's credit rating and therefore the cost of money you borrow? Do you think the government can just stop all spending Jan 1st without the entire economy...yours and ours and the rest of the world's not collapsing?

Like you said in another post....you need to be aware of the unintended consequences of what seems, to some, to be a simple issue.

o

On topic - I think McConnell's action of filibustering himself is one for the history books and illustrates the idiocy of some politicians (mostly Republicans).

Off topic, unfortunately. People who oppose raising the debt ceiling obviously don't realize that doing so allows the U.S. to pay for the debt that it has already incurred (read Congress has already spent or promised to spend the money). Not raising the debt ceiling is the same as you going out and buying groceries, household goods, etc., putting it on your credit card, and then refusing to pay for it.

Future spending bills have nothing to do with raising the debt ceiling. It's like you saying to your creditors, I'll pay my credit card bill if you allow me to ... (pay less for something in the future, for example). The issues have only been joined to give each party leverage in negotiating the FUTURE debt, etc.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

o

First, why does the govt work so much differently than my household budget? If I ran my house on the same principles, I would be labelled an idiot. Somehow, when the Fed govt does it, it's smart policy.

Second, about roads, internet, infrastructure, etc. ...why not let private companies provide such things? Then we can demand excellence and if we don't get it, we can fire them and hire someone who will provide excellence. Why would we want the govt to provide these things when they have no incentive whatsoever to provide an excellent product at a lower price?
Furthermore, when private companies do these things, they CREATE wealth. They hire people, they pay wages/salaries, they purchase stuff from other private companies, etc. etc. The govt creates no wealth.

The govt had NO money of its own. When the govt spends a dollar, it MUST first take that dollar from someone. and hence, the govt creates no wealth. ONLY private businesses create wealth and grow the economy.

o

"Why is that so difficult to understand?"

I think it's because some do not take the time to do the homework required to truly understand the problem. They mindlessly swallow what they are fed.

For others it's because the facts don't fit the agenda.

o

"ONLY private businesses create wealth and grow the economy.

It's funny. I read that sentiment all the time from those who profit from the government, from overpaid politicians to private corporations. They complain and complain again and again while receiving their big fat cheques.
Your last statement is nonsensical.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 11:55

Oh yes lets put our infrastructure into the hands of the private companies who will do all of this out of their own pockets. Also lets make sure ALL corporations and companies receive NOT ONE DIME of taxpayer monies.

Dispense with ALL social programs, including social security/medicare/medicaid. Hey if the old folks can't make it, too friggin bad for them. It is not like they are productive members of society any longer.

In fact lets privatize everything, then we no longer need to pay taxes.

What could possibly go wrong ??

o

Precisely, Chase.

Can we say, Fox News?

o

So....is there such a thing as too much debt?

o

...and the Heritage Foundation

o

corn, OF COURSE there is such a thing as too much debt but not raising the debt ceiling is not the answer. the US MUST borrow money to pay the debts they have ALREADY incurred.

What you are suggesting will result in the government defaulting on it's loans and stop paying it's bills. The American credit rating will be downgraded and the cost of borrowing the money needed to pay the debt, and run the country, will skyrocket. Wanna see what happens to the American economy if that happens?

o

Second, about roads, internet, infrastructure, etc. ...why not let private companies provide such things? Then we can demand excellence and if we don't get it, we can fire them and hire someone who will provide excellence. Why would we want the govt to provide these things when they have no incentive whatsoever to provide an excellent product at a lower price?

Furthermore, when private companies do these things, they CREATE wealth. They hire people, they pay wages/salaries, they purchase stuff from other private companies, etc. etc. The govt creates no wealth.

So, in your conservative imagination, the government has its own branch that builds things?

And all this time I thought that the Government takes bids and awards a contracts to a private company to go out and lay fiber optic cable, or takes bids and awards a contract to a private company to repair roads. But you're telling me that this doesn't create wealth, they don't hire people, they don't pay wages/salaries, they don't purchase stuff from other private companies etc etc.

I see.

o

This idea that the economy of a country is anything like the budgeting of a household is ignorant-nor is it anything like a business. I keep saying this and get routinely ignored but 'money' as it figures in an economy is not dollars and cents. When a government takes on debt it actually is creating money(value) that can get spread around to fuel its economy. Value is an idea in your mind-its a virtual thing and it takes faith to keep it alive so economies take faith because economies are not real in any literal sense. Nothing has value unless someone thinks it does and that includes 'money' and even gold. I believe the biggest threat to our well being as a country is having to much of this virtual value in the hands of too few people-they have no need to spread it around and dont so no matter how much money you create it ends up in the hands of a few who are then amazingly powerful as long as faith is money continues to exist.
As a point of interest I predicted to my nearest and dearest that all the millions invested in the last election by the Koch brothers and their ilk(read oligarchy types) would for the time being have no real effect on the election because it would be balanced by the leveling effect of the free viral information on the internet- making the money non valuable. If I were a Koch brother I would be looking into ways to control the internet if I wanted to maintain the power of my money.

o

@Chase so we borrow more money to pay off past bills? when does this stop? how does this get us out of the mess? I agree, this solves the immediate problem, but it doesn't resolve the real issue.

There are only a couple of possibilities here:
1. let the economy collapse
2. massive inflation until the govt pays off its bills
3. massive spending cuts to SS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

Raising taxes does not solve this problem. You can tax the rich 100 percent and it would not come close to resolving our current fiscal problem. Am I wrong? Are there other options?

o

Corn, should we reduce military spending as well?

o

@david52 granted...the govt doesn't build things. But the govt is paying private companies to do the work. That is where the inefficiency comes in. B/c now the govt is deciding what needs to be done. But this is inherently corrupt b/c the govt is obviously going to build things where it will best serve THEIR interest, not the interest of the people. They will build bridges, roads, etc. in places where they need votes. They will reward big donors with new projects and such.
When private companies build things, they have to meet the needs of their customers. This is why govt action is INHERENTLY corrupt. It always will be.

This is the essential point to grasp....private companies serve people or they go out of business. and they must improve or they fail.
Govt agencies serve people too but they never need to fear going out of business; they never need to worry about improving their product or trying to get their prices down. Do you really think a govt agency would sell Nooks, Kindles, etc. for $200?

o

@frank_il I don't like military spending either but how else do we protect this place? there are enough evil men around who would love to drop missiles into downtown L.A. So...no, I don't support reducing military spending. but if Walmart could defend our country, I would def consider it. :)

o

But this is inherently corrupt b/c the govt is obviously going to build things where it will best serve THEIR interest, not the interest of the people.

Well, I live in a rural area. The traffic is no where near what it would be to support a toll road, or some other private means of road, rail, or air transportation. So we'd be out of luck, huh.

But .... wait. We do grow food.

Isn't it great that the whole countries' tax dollars go to improve the roads around here, so that trucks from Texas can come here and get alfalfa and hay for their drought-stricken herds, that the beans and wheat can move to markets on the east coast, that goods and services can move freely, and you don't have to pay out the nose for the food we produce?

o

corn, steps need to be taken now but there is a logical progression that involves cuts/revisions to all programmes, including the military, as well as additional revenues.

There needs to be a strategy a goal and a plan to reach the goal. Mindless slashing, with no thought to the consequences, is no different than what you accuse liberals of.

As far as infrastructure spending goes, do you honestly believe that a private company would build a highway , road, school or bridge at it's own expense...ie no government funding? How would they "profitize" that? Do you have any idea how that could be accomplished? As it is they make money and employ people based on the bids they win from the government. If they weren't being paid to build those things that we all need....why would they?

Certainly not a bushiness model I would invest in !

o

What incentive do private companies have to build new roads or improve the existing ones (just as one example)?

As david said, the government pays for the roads and contracts with private companies to build them. They do have the incentive to do it right - otherwise they should not get another contract.

If the gov't didn't pay for those, would those companies do it themselves? And get paid how? Put a toll on every road they build?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here