Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BP dispersants 50x more toxic than spilled oil

Posted by dicot (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 23:56

Just more proof backing what biologists and ecologists say at every major spill, stop spreading Corexit and burn the spill asap instead, then physically capture the goo afterward with skimmers and sorbents. Outlaw chemical dispersants for oil spills already!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulf of Mexico clean-up study

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BP dispersants 50x more toxic than spilled oil

Nah... c'mon down... the water is great, the seafood is fantastic, and every dolphin and sea turtle has a smile plastered from ear to ear... I say with much sarcasm.

o

Thanks for sharing that dicot. I do wish that industry folks would get smarter over time (and I think they generally do) in regards to the environment.

Unfortunately, when they don't think of it themselves (or reject ideas due to cost), sometimes the government needs to step in to protect the environment. We only have one environment and once it's ruined, it's ruined.

o

Save your sarcasm jodik. Come on down and enjoy our beautiful beaches and fantastic seafood and see for yourself, instead of hoping for the worst.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Isn't it dangerous down there aside from all the chemicals I thought Louisiana was one of those high crime states? I know they are known as the worlds prison capitol. I think I'll stick to our local storm ravaged beaches!

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 11:02

Isn't it dangerous down there aside from all the chemicals I thought Louisiana was one of those high crime states?

Yea, the seafood and beaches are great but since there is no personal responsibility practiced by a large contingent (no need to--the "'guvmint gone take care" of you if you don't do it yourself) those people decide every now and then they want even more of what others have worked for and decide to take it directly from you, kill you for it, or knock you in the head for it.

The great society--producing and subsidizing entitled thugs since l965.

Hopefully, as in all trials in life, lessons were learned from the BP spill on many different fronts.

As to the nattering nabobs of negativism--like the poor, we'll always have them among us.

o

So, maybe I should re-think these Gulf shrimp I've been eating? I kind of like the idea of North American pre-lubed shrimp, and we have been eating it once a month or so all along (before and after the incident). BTW, they look & taste great. With all the crap we humans intentionally put into our food, I'm not going to worry about a little (majorly diluted) oil.

The dispersants are another story. I've never been clear on why the US didn't take the numerous offers we had from other nations, or even some of the practical suggestions we had from within our own country, to quickly move on the clean up. Water under the bridge now. Or is it?

o

Sick, deformed fish spotted after BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill

According to a lengthy report by Al-Jazeera English, Gulf Coast fishermen as well as scientists have found "disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish."

Eat at your own risk.

"BARATARIA BAY, La. - Two years after the massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill, scientists say they're finding trouble with sick fish that dwell along offshore reefs and in the deep waters - especially in places where the oil spill hit the hardest."

Here is a link that might be useful: Enjoy your disease seafood

o

no personal responsibility practiced by a large contingent (no need to--the "'guvmint gone take care" of you if you don't do it yourself

I'm never sure exactly whom you are talking about when you lapse into these complaints.

The large contingent who practice no personal repsonsibility and say things like "guvmint gone take care" of them--exactly who are these folks? Are they uneducated folks in general (who because they are ignorant say ignorant things?) Or are you specifying a particular group within the uneducated category--those who speak with their own cultural dialect and maybe have a non-white skin color?

You'll have to excuse my ignorant questions, but no one in my region talks that way--either in terms of content or grammar/dialect--so the group you love to rail about remains a total mystery to me.

Appreciate any clarification you can give of who "they" are.

Kate

o

Good question Kate. I thought when those statements came out it is the way she talks. As say.....a southern dialect for her area and what she is familiar as the way a person converse in her circle friends.

So to me I thought it was the way her pronunciation and accent combined of as her response. It was what I heard when Bush spoke......that southern pronunciation of words.

o

Thanks for bringing this up, Dicot, yet again... it carried little to no weight the several times myself and others brought it up... the response was a good portion of denial, support for fossil fuel corporations, and pictures of happy little dolphins... most likely taken before their environment was destroyed in the name of greed.

Today, many Gulf shrimp and other seafood are genetically deformed or altered in some way... the Gulf is horribly unhealthy... oil is still seen to be leaking from the same vicinity by environmental flyovers... and the fines and monies payed out won't ever begin to cover the devastation.

And we haven't even covered what the end result of all this fossil fuel use is doing to our planet's climate...

I don't consume seafood or fish... period. I don't believe it to be safe enough now... and it hasn't been in quite a while, actually, in many places.

I do believe sarcasm would be the preferred, and accepted response... it's about all I can muster when this subject comes up. I can't help it... so, just ignore it if it's not the cup of tea one is hoping for...

o

"And we haven't even covered what the end result of all this fossil fuel use is doing to our planet's climate..."

True. I guess if you're (we're) not part of the solution, you're (we're) part of the problem, as the saying goes. Our bad.

o

First of all, oil has always leaked from the bottom of the Gulf and oceans, and always will. So if not eating seafood is your preference, so be it. Just more for the rest of us.

Kate, the dialect is called Yat. I used to get angry at you libs, but it seems to be all you have to answer with anymore. It's racial, it's racist. It seems to be the best you've got, and that's a shame.

o

mrsk, here is what I asked demi:

You'll have to excuse my ignorant questions, but no one in my region talks that way--either in terms of content or grammar/dialect--so the group you love to rail about remains a total mystery to me.

Why does that make you bristle and attack liberal women? I acknowledged I was ignorant on this subject, that I had never heard anyone talk that way, and that I'd appreciate someone explaining to me who those people are that Demi rails against. I have never in my life heard anyone say such a thing, much less in a form that would be considered highly uneducated in all the places I have lived.

I did read a WIKI definition of Yat dialect--interesting. First time I ever heard of it. So based on that article--everybody in Louisiana speaks it, I guess demi is trying to tell me that in Louisiana, the typical man or woman on the street expresses that attitude of dependency that infuriates demi. Do I have that right now? Upper class, middle class, lower class, and all nationalities in Louisiana are suffering from dependency on the government?

I have never lived anywhere where anyone, much less people in general, expressed such attitudes. Why is there so much dependency on the government in Louisiana? Poverty?

Kate

o

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 14:06

no personal responsibility practiced by a large contingent (no need to--the "'guvmint gone take care" of you if you don't do it yourself

I'm never sure exactly whom you are talking about when you lapse into these complaints.

The large contingent who practice no personal repsonsibility and say things like "guvmint gone take care" of them--exactly who are these folks? Are they uneducated folks in general (who because they are ignorant say ignorant things?) Or are you specifying a particular group within the uneducated category--those who speak with their own cultural dialect and maybe have a non-white skin color?

Kate

They are exactly the people whose attitude and beavhior I described. If you want names, you're out of luck.

Those people of are all races, but fewer Asians than any other group.

And too bad, marquest, but your dig at me fails again.

I do not speak in that manner.

But many of the "they" to which I refer, do.

o

K you always seem to be on the side of the polluters (seeming is everything) but yet have no connection other than you live in a State polluted by them?

o

And too bad, marquest, but your dig at me fails again.
I do not speak in that manner.
But many of the "they" to which I refer, do.

I was as puzzled as Kate. It seems that Msk is puzzled also because she is saying it is Yak so you speak Yak?

Kate explained she has never heard people talk in that manner, I also have not heard people speak in that manner. But you do? Why would I think that it is not because of the people in your circle?

Can you understand my confusion? People that do not live around people, and are not friends of people as you describe so we do not hear what you hear. So the only answer is it is your circle.

o

Can you understand my confusion? People that do not live around people, and are not friends of people as you describe so we do not hear what you hear. So the only answer is it is your circle.

No, that is not the "only answer."

Shall I assume you only interact with people "in your circle?"

My life is much more diverse than that.

I interact with strangers most every day, I interact through volunteer work, and I interact with people that are old friends and new friends, but with which I do not always have a great deal in common as far as interests, educational and economic backgrounds. These people are not necessarily in "my circle" in that they are not all people I regularly have lunch with and visit one another's homes and with which I have a history.

You learn a lot about people that are a little different from you when you leave the comfort of only interacting with and conversing with people "in your circle."

It is obvious if you understood that you would not have made this assumption that you posted: "People that do not live around people, and are not friends of people as you describe so we do not hear what you hear. So the only answer is it is your circle.'

o

I have worked with disadvantage youth and I have never heard people talk like you described. Maybe it is your state. I have know idea. I can only tell you what I have heard in my life.

I hope you try to help the ones that you know that think the government can help them also know how they can make more by finding a good job. Do you try to help them find good jobs?

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 21:41

I have worked with disadvantage youth and I have never heard people talk like you described.

Well, so what?

I am not a liar.

Maybe you should get out more.

If you want to come visit I can take you to hear this type of dialect "for yoself."

o

It is not only the dialect it is more the words that do not make sense to me.

But have fun. If it is what you hear and you believe it that is all that matters.

o

If it is what you hear and you believe it that is all that matters.

I have no idea why you seem to dislike me so much to go out of your way to get in one more dig to say "you believe it is all that matters."

Do you really think we can't see through your silly pathetic attempts at being dismissive and condescending?

What kind of remark is that?

People talk like I related.
The fact that you have not heard it and do not understand it doesn't make it something that I just "believe."

It is fact.

And you pay for them.

IF you're not one of the 47%.

o

Demi, you repeat it you believe it, you want to believe, you need to believe IT. I am not disagreeing with you. I am saying BELIEVE Have fun.

By the way,........ "We". Who are the WE? Are these private sideline talks. Who are these WE that have x-ray eyes? You are funny.

Do you really think we can't see through your silly pathetic attempts at being dismissive and condescending?

o

Same "we" referred to by others, marquest.

Please give it a rest.

Peace.

o

There's a commonality in so many of these posts! They start off about one thing and wind up being about Demi!

o

Yea, Labrea, if only people could stop making snide comments about me we wouldn't have to hear about it, now would we?

Luckily, we're down to only a few.

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 21:52

"It is not only the dialect it is more the words that do not make sense to me."

ROFLMAO! And lots of eye-rolling. ;D

o

Now that thread was bound to get derailed.

So predictable.

o

And I still have no idea who those people are that demi likes to rail against for their dependencies.

I repeat, no one where I live expresses such attitudes, much less in that manner. Who are those people who express those attitudes and in that manner?

Or is that supposed to be kept a secret that I am not in on?

Kate

o

You say you have no idea who those people are Kate. But your first question were they non white? Why would you make that assumption based on what demi said?

o

Score one for mrsk!

o

Nothing going on here I see!

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 5:00

You say you have no idea who those people are Kate. But your first question were they non white? Why would you make that assumption based on what demi said?

Yes, I am not surprised.
Sigh.

I long for the day when people are not judged by the color of their skin and that is what comes first to mind when discussing human beings.

Unfortunately, with comments like that, it is obvious we have a long, long way to go, mrskjun.

Kate--visit Louisiana and mrskjun and I will take you on a tour that will educate you.

o

mrsk, if you read my first post, I asked a number of questions--is it this? is it that? or something else? True, one question included does have to do with race. But before that, there were questions about education and class.

Why did I also include race? Because even though I've never heard of a Yat dialect spoken by most of the people of a specific city, I had heard that there is something called a "black dialect" in our society. Knowing little about dialects,I even admitted in the post that I am ignorant on these matters--which is why I was solciting more information.

I really meant nothing by all those questions except that those are some common ways people in our society are classified, and since the reponders can't seem to figure out how to classify their people with government dependencies, I was just trying to help out by explaining what kinds of information I was soliciting--although any other info that would help me figure out who those people are would be perfectly fine also.

But I see it didn't help since asking for a clarification has just aroused the ire of mrsk, demi, and jm.

Well, the joke's on you folks. I was asking a real question--soliciting more information for real. And what did I get for my pains? Spit on! Thanks a lot.

Result: I still have no idea whom you are talking about--especially since no one in my region talks that way, both in terms of content and grammar, so I have no basis for comparison.

Kate

o

Just remember what the thread is about.

Figures.

o

You didn't get spit on, you got invitations from me to come see for yourself.

Suggesting racism, well, that's spit.

Maybe this will help you to understand, Kate--these colloquialisms and expressions are found far outside New Orleans, as well:

How ta tawk rite

o

I suggested race (not "racism"--that is a different category) as one possible category--out of multiple categories.

Why are you working so hard to keep the answer a secret from me? Can't you characterize the people you complain about? Or do you mean people in general--all classes, educations, and nationalities--are government dependent? If so, say so.

Why so many posts and no response to my actual question? My question isn't about dialects (mrsk brought up that subject). My question is who are the government dependent people that upset you so?

The only hint you've given is that they speak a dialect that WIKI says is commonly spoken by everyone in Louisiana. So everybody in Louisiana is government dependent? I personally doubt that, but I have received no more specific answer than that--for some odd reason.

No thank you on the invite to visit you--I do not travel much any more.

Kate

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 9:18

From the link: "never really heard the term while growing up, and neither did many of my fellow New Orleanians"

Instead of all the back and forth when Kate asked who talks like this, it would have been easier (probably not as much fun) to post the above link, which is quite interesting by the way.

Learn something new everyday :)

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 9:20

Ooops let me back out of the convo, thought it was about "yat" and instead it is about this and that and going nowhere fast.

o

Another term, similar to the terms I used earlier which became an excuse to insinuate that I am a racist, was that some people will approach you, hit you on the back or arm and say quickly, "Krima Gif."

I'll let you people figure that out.

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 11:02

Isn't it dangerous down there aside from all the chemicals I thought Louisiana was one of those high crime states? I know they are known as the worlds prison capitol. I think I'll stick to our local storm ravaged beaches!

It does seem to have many problems. But the cost of living is low. If you live through the toxic seafood and the crime.

"The cost of living in Louisiana (LA) is lower than the nationwide average. The average yearly pay in Louisiana is $41,432.00, which is lower than the U.S. average annual salary by $5,310.00. The consumer price index (CPI) of 212 in Louisiana is 5.36% lower than the U.S. city average CPI of 224."

o

Huh.

Yat is fascinating! I have an uncle from N'awlns (sic) who can fall into a Yat accent pretty quick. I just never had a word for that pigen before.

I have to say, I have heard pretty much that same sentiment, in similar words before in my life and I've never been to the South. Being from sunny Western beach cities, I tend to hear things like "dude, who cares, chillax, your old lady's getting her baby check, you can trade that for beer and we can still hang".

There are a lot of people who think it's cool to depend on the government. So what? That doesn't mean anything. I don't hang out with people like that, but it doesn't mean I don't bump into them.

Back to the OP: Pretty clear the water is anything but down South.

o

Just as I thought, very little discussion of the original subject but on and on about people that want to be the center of attention. Forum is nearly useless for what it is meant for. Seldom open threads any more and this is why. phssh

o

Forum is nearly useless for what it is meant for.

Don, I agree.

Back to the subject: The research shows serious problems with the use of dispersants.

Using oil from the Deep Water Horizon spill and Corexit, the dispersant required by the Environmental Protection Agency for clean up, the researchers tested toxicity of oil, dispersant and mixtures on five strains of rotifers. Rotifers have long been used by ecotoxicologists to assess toxicity in marine waters because of their fast response time, ease of use in tests and sensitivity to toxicants. In addition to causing mortality in adult rotifers, as little as 2.6 percent of the oil-dispersant mixture inhibited rotifer egg hatching by 50 percent. Inhibition of rotifer egg hatching from the sediments is important because these eggs hatch into rotifers each spring, reproduce in the water column, and provide food for baby fish, shrimp and crabs in estuaries.

First of all, oil has always leaked from the bottom of the Gulf and oceans, and always will. So if not eating seafood is your preference, so be it.

Two problems with the above statement:

First, the natural oil seepage from the ocean floor in no way compares with the quantity of oil released from the Macondo well.

Second, the natural oil seepage from the ocean floor contains no dispersants.

o

Gee. What a surprise. That stuff is toxic? Never would have guessed.

Hope all those big shots from BP go to jail for a long long long time. They should be charged with a few million counts of murder.

o

I cannot bring myself to east Gulf Coast seafood. I am not as informed as some here on ecological matters but I just can't believe the seafood is not tainted given the amount of toxins that poured into those waters.

I also don't eat Asian seafood or farm raised seafood/fish......its getting harder and harder to keep seafood/fish in our diet other than locally caught perch, pickerel and trout.

o

other than locally caught perch, pickerel and trout

Shouldn't be hard for you...

o

I'm with you chase. I don't order seafood in restaurants anymore - who knows where it's from. I only buy fish (usu catfish) that states US farm raised on the package. There are some regulations and oversight in the US fish farming industry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here