Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

My 1 Yr. Anniversary of being Tobacco Free!

pirate_girl
15 years ago

Hi Gang,

If anyone is working on stopping smoking & needs help or encouragement, pls. come here & talk to me!

Jan. 24 (last week) was my one year aniversary of being off of cigarettes after smoking for 41 yrs. (I'm only 52). No drugs, no patches, no hypo, no nothin'.

I'm also out of work for 15 months now & I have not allowed the stress of all of this to get me smoking again (tho' yesterday, I sure did want to)!

Anyone needing help w/ this -- I'm your girl!!

(PG) Karen

Comments (28)

• tisha_
    15 years ago

Good job!

My great aunt smoked for close to 60 years and just decided one day that she didn't want to anymore, and she quit cold turkey.

I always said that if she could do it, anyone could (who really wants to).

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Strong work, Karen! I admire and think all the more of you for quitting. ... and I just offered a prayer that you stay quit!

Al

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Way to go, Karen!!! Sorry to hear about your job situation though. I hope you find something soon.

Larry

• cena60
    14 years ago

Tisha, Al, Larry, good to see you.
    Karen!!! Awesome, Way to Go, Kudos, all the many things I wished I could say in many, many, languages.

This is an AWESOME Step. I know I'm late to the party, but this type of celebration is timeless and can always stand recognition!!!

At one time I was a three-pack-a-day girl... I found pickign up or putting down was extraordinaly easy for me. I've been nicotine free for 15 years. The cost alone prevents me from 'experimentation'!!!

Congratulations, you've moved to a new level completely!!!!

Kudos! Your SoCal Friend, Cena

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well Howdy Cena & Thanks!

Nice to see you here. A belated thanks for the congrats to Al, Larry, Tisha & others who both wished me well & sent congratulations.

Am happy to say I remain tobacco free (in Jan. 'it'll be 2 yrs. already -- wow).

Also happy to say I went back to work in June, different (lesser) job, far less money, but a good steady job w/ bennies & for decent people who appreciate my efforts & treat me w/ respect. A change & most refreshing after working for a sadistic bully for 2.5 yrs.

Feels like a lifetime ago, that I smoked, like a different person & a different life. I'm so glad I stopped.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Karen, I rarely stop here...just noticed your thread..Congrats.. A little over 2 yrs..What motivated you and how did you succeed? Any advice? Toni
    PS..thankfully you found a job...it's been some time.

• carolnj38
    13 years ago

Hi Pirate,
    I just read your post about stopping smoking, did you do it cold turkey, I would really like to stop too, I pray every night when I go to bed, but then i light up as soon as I wake up in the morning. I know it's just a crutch, but I do enjoy smoking, even tho I know it's no good for me. I'm 71 and have smoked since I was 16. Not proud to say that.I have lots of friends, and they don't smoke, when I go to my meetings, I just about make 2 hours without a cigarette.
    I do need help, don't like the lozenges either. I should just get used to them. I'm thinking of getting the patch.
    a very big kodu for you, God Bless you,
    thanks, Carol

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well an update, but yes, I continue to be cigarette free!

To those considering the patch, pls. be careful.

Our ENTIRE body of knowledge on smoking & its effects/ hazards has to do w/ inhaled tobacco. We know little if anything about transdermal absorption (through the skin).

I'm tired of the all FDA approved items which are subsequently withdrawn due to being UNSAFE. Better safe than sorry on this one.

To those considering stopping cigarettes: set yourself an end date, that's recommended by a number of stop smoking groups. Personally, I blew past my end date, but then 6-7 months later, I just decided to see what happened if I STOPPED BUYING CIGRARETTES (that's what did it for me).

An acquaintance who'd stopped before me told me something that was very helpful, liberating actually. When I told her I'd blown past my targetted quit date, she said relax; you'll quit when you're ready. I was a bit surprised, but it seemed enough that I was even thinking about it.

(more to follow)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

picking up where I last left off ...

So one January night, I was gabbing on the phone w/ a friend & ran out of cigarettes. I was about to leave a warm, toasty bed & change from nightclothes to street clothes, all to go get cigarettes, when suddenly, the thought struck me -- what if you don't buy more cigarettes tonight? Can't smoke what you haven't got.

So the next day, I went out on some medical appointments & would normally have stopped first thing to get cigarettes before continuing on w/ my day. Well I just didn't buy any cigarettes & though it was strange & I thought about it periodically, before I realized it, it was 24 hrs. later & I hadn't had a cigarette, hadn't keeled over dead & hadn't immediately lost my mind.

So I thought hum, what happens if I still don't buy any cigarettes & that was it. I literally took it one day at a time.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jan 24, 2011 was the three year mark!!!

• deburn
    12 years ago

Congrats PG, that's awesome! It will be 4 years for me in July - best thing I've ever done for myself and my family.

Carol, if you're still following this thread I'll be happy to share my experiences with you.

It's a very tough addiction, but all the more rewarding to live without it

db

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi DG,

Thanks for the congrats & apparently the same to you!!!

I missed my 4th yr. anniversary a month ago, hows that for having gotten over it completely???

I agree totally, it is BY FAR one of the best things I have EVER done!!!

Carol, I agree w/ Db & will be happy to help if you like.

For anybody considering this, one thing you might try is simply NOT BUYING THE NEXT PACK -- that's how I did it!!!

• larry_b
    12 years ago

Hi Karen,

Hi,

Congrats on your 4th year anniversary. I don't come over here much. I am glad to see your continued success.

Larry

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Larry,

Yes, I'm pretty pleased about it too, seems like a lifetime ago, even a bit of another life.

Hope you're doing well & do I understand correctly, you may not be housebound any more?

• larry_b
    12 years ago

Nope, not any more. I can even drive myself around most of the Denver metro area. Five years ago I could only drive around the block.

Larry

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a significant change -- Good for you!!! I bet it makes a HUGE difference in your life huh, glad for your happy news! Keep up the good work!

Karen

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, you did it!
    To think, if you left your warm bed to run out in the cold, it might not have been.
    Congrats.

Aside from saving money, lol, do you feel any different? Mentally and/or physically?

Is it year 4?

Larry, do you mind if I ask if you were Agoraphobic? If you don't want to answer, I understand.

Thankfully, whatever the reason, you're now able to drive more than a block. That's great! Congrats, to you, too. Toni

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Toni,

No I don't mind you asking. No I am not Agoraphobic. I was housebound because of physical problems due to my fibromyalgia. I was bedridden for 21 hours a day at the time.

Larry

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Larry,

Glad to learn you are less housebound, that must make a HUGE difference in your life -- I smile to even think of you enjoying this relatively new found freedom & mobility. Must make your indoor gardening ooodles easier! Enjoy!

Hi Toni,

I feel much different after stopping smoking cigarettes!

Short version, I breath SO MUCH BETTER, used to only breath freely on one side, now I have both. I have far fewer sinus problems (headaches & earaches).

I no longer have chest pains (which was actually lung pain, was beginning COPD as viewed on CAT scans).

Next Jan. will be 5 yrs. of freedom from tobacco. Most of the time when I pass a smoker on the street, I say silent gratitude affirmations to myself that it's the BEST thing I have EVER done, absolutely no doubt about it.

The small things are nice too, my fingers aren't tobacco stained, my clothes & hair no longer smell of it. I can wear clothes w/out pockets (don't need a place to stow cigs & matches anymore).

Breathing deeply feels just great!!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I just noticed this was here and wanted to commend you for your achievement! Standing ovation!!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well thanks much Purp, I do appreciate it!

Hoping Toni sees this & it may inspire her to consider stopping.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

Yes indoor gardening is much easier. I have more plants now too. lol

By the way your anniversary is coming up fast.

Larry

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, your 5-year anniversary will soon be here. Congrats.

They say, if one can go 5-yrs w/o a cig, one has it beat.

I bet it's great not smelling of smoke, feeling healthier, and saving money.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know what a pack cost in NY these days?

I don't know much about COPD..my friend was diagnosed with COPD but I thought it was a permanent lung disease???

Anyway, congrats again..you can now stay in bed on those icy NY days w/o worrying about running to the store..:)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Toni,

Yup, my 5th Anniversary as tobacco free is at end of this month, yippeeeee.

I had one day recently when I really wanted a cigarette, just one day, I felt the want for it & just let it be; it was fitting for the circumstances. It was a couple of wks after the Hurricane (Sandy) & I had to go to Coney Island & meet w/ the FEMA folks to find out what expenses I might recoup.

Something abt the peculiar circumstances, the long bus ride there, the physical tiredness of schlepping over there early on a Sunday morning & trying to sort my way through a large crowd w/ a cane & a laptop.

COPD = chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, yes it's lung disease, not so sure abt classification of 'permanent'.

I'm sure my lungs have had a lot of opportunity to clean up their act w/out all that tobacco smoke getting in their way.

Did your friend stop smoking?? Am hoping so.

When I quit 5 yrs. ago, cigarettes were more than $9-10 per pack, maybe $7-8 bootleg (untaxed). I'd actually switched to hand-rolled tobacco when I was out of work as the cost of cigarettes was out of reach.

Probably now abt $12-13 & $9-11. Sadly, municipalities around here have become SUPER dependent on the tax revenues they keep adding on to cigarettes here (same w/ Lotto revenues).

• iammadeofdreams
    11 years ago

I recently quit smoking in pretty much the same way. I ran out of cigarettes and had a bad cold so I couldn't smoke anyway because I was coughing so much. By the time I got better it had been 4-5 days and it seemed silly to start again since I didn't even really want one very much.

One day I was feeling stressed (always my smoking trigger) so I bought some on my way to work, but somehow every lighter I could find was broken or out of fluid. I took that as a sign that it is definitely time to be done and I haven't bought more since.

It has only been about a month so far, but I'm already enjoying the saved money.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yesterday was my 5th year anniversary of being tobacco-free. I couldn't be happier about it or more proud.

Iammaeofdreams (do you have a nick-name or abbreviation?)

Congratulations & good for you; yes smoking w/ a cold is quite unpleasant I do recall.

So you're done too, excellent, good too that you recognized the stress, but didn't let it get the best of you. Excellent that none of the lighters would work, yeah, looks to be to be a pretty clear sign that you ARE DONE W/ CIGARETTES!! The months w/out cigarettes will fly by, you'll see. Then one day you'll realize it's been six months, then a year, etc. Keep up the great work!!!

I wish you all the success I've had in this & more!!!

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

Again, congratulations on another anniversary on being smoke free. I know from my sister that one needs to keep being diligent. After 20 years of being smoke free she met and is living with a smoker and she is back on the cigarettes again. It was such a disappointment to see her fall off the wagon as it were.

Keep up the good work. It's worth it!

Larry

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Dreams,

And congrats to you too. They say that the first month is the hardest physically. Psychologically it's an ongoing battle. Periods of stress will make the craving worse. Just know this so you aren't surprised. And remember about my sister. One can never let his/her guard down when it comes to cigarettes.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work!!!

Larry